NESN weighs in on the Mayo debate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: NESN weighs in on the Mayo debate

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mayo is above average, but definitely not great. 

He is pretty bad in coverage and isn't a playmaker. "Steady" would be the word I would use to describe him

That being said, if you asked me to pick between Spikes or Mayo, I'd pick Spikes. I don't think tackles is a good stat to measure how good a linebacker is. Tackles to missed tackles ratio would be more telling.

Spikes makes big plays in big moments though. I'd probably vote him over Mayo

[/QUOTE]

I'll take both .  I think they complement each other.  The steady mayo frees up spikes to make his more aggressive plays while taking some risks...

Sometimes it's just impossible to rank players but I'll take the guy who leads the league in tackles.  Any of you who think tackling NFL backs is easy (making the stat misleading or less important) are mistaken IMO... 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I hope the debate isn't centered around that one dude who made that thread declaring that he expects a top ten pick to be in the HOF or he's not that good.  Those kinds of expectations are absurd.  But I guess they wouldn't make pink hats if there wasn't a market for them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

After watching the Pats try to fill in scrubs like Monty Beisel, Chad Brown, Eric Alexander, Tully Banta Cain, and Adalius Thomas following the departure of our marquee Super Bowl linebacker squad, it is a great relief to see someone like Mayo playing linebacker for the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure what you're saying... This ranking is about sacks and dls getting in the backfield on running plays.  Mayo plays deep and tackles 0-3 yards after the player hits the hole .

His sack numbers are increasing though.

[/QUOTE]

It's not sacks it's Tackles for Losses.  Not sure what "plays deep" means but his job is to shead his block and tackle the runner as soon as possible. DB's get payed to play deep not LBs.  He not even on the list. 

[/QUOTE]

Spikes plays the Sam position and attacks the line of scrimmage, Mayo plays the Will position covering downfield and out in space.  This isn't a mystery.  

You can't fake leading the NFL in tackles, there's no short cut or way to fake results...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Ohhh T-Cal started the anit Mayo thread....Now I get it. This guy hates everybody.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not sure what you're saying... This ranking is about sacks and dls getting in the backfield on running plays.  Mayo plays deep and tackles 0-3 yards after the player hits the hole .

[/QUOTE]

It's not sacks it's Tackles for Losses.  Not sure what "plays deep" means but his job is to shead his block and tackle the runner as soon as possible. DB's get payed to play deep not LBs.  He not even on the list. 

[/QUOTE]

patrick willis must not be that good either since he didn't make the list right?... moron

if his job is the shed his block and tackle the runner and he leads the NFL in tackles then he must be doing a pretty decent job eh??? you don't lead the league in tackles without being able to shed some blocks. 

[/QUOTE]

oops.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd like to think Mayo is as good as his tackle stats, but then I watch him play and he just doesn't look special to me. I watch him get locked up on a block as the back runs for 10 yards past him. I see him out in coverage and the spaces between him and the guy that catches the ball are big - then I see him drop back into space and cover no one before reacting too late to the play. I see the ball get snapped and he's the last linebacker moving off the ball. He's got good size and speed, yet I rarely see him knifing through the line to take down runners before they cross the line of scrimmage.

He must be doing something right - Belichick handed him a 45 million dollar contract this off season and the guy is always on the field, but I just don't get it. I hear him on the radio and the guy seems like a really nice guy (down to earth, funny)...so I'm certainly rooting for him, but during the games I'm always seeing him NOT make the play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Lets see.... Mayo has a padded Assist total (48) which is more then any of the top ten tackles leaders....W T F is an assist?  The guy who jumps on the pile?

He's tied for 5th is solo tackles.  So put it away Rusty and all your fake accounts.  He ain't leading anything but assist total.

Let's all just agree he's really not that good.  He's very replaceable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Lets see.... Mayo has a padded Assist total (48) which is more then any of the top ten tackles leaders....W T F is an assist?  The guy who jumps on the pile?

He's tied for 5th is solo tackles.  So put it away Rusty and all your fake accounts.  He ain't leading anything but assist total.

[/QUOTE]

I think most people are disagreeIng you here bud. Just repeating some thing doesn't make it fact.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just admit, you really don't like the Pats. It is totally understandable. None of them besides Brady and Welker have any good fantasy stats (now that Gronk is out). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think most people are disagreeIng you here bud. Just repeating some thing doesn't make it fact.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah most people I guess are disagreeing with me too. There are some people who's opinion's I value on this board that think he's a very good player - I find him to be solid when he is playing at his best and much less than that when he's not. I no longer care how fast he runs or how high he was drafted...there's something missing from his game mentally And I think this defense needs much better from him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

We have arguably the best team in the NFL. Sadly, that's not good enough for most people here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah most people I guess are disagreeing with me too. There are some people who's opinion's I value on this board that think he's a very good player - I find him to be solid when he is playing at his best and much less than that when he's not. I no longer care how fast he runs or how high he was drafted...there's something missing from his game mentally And I think this defense needs much better from him.

[/QUOTE]

Your tone is much less annoying then his. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

There are not a ton of linebackers out there that are better than Mayo.  He is not Patrick Willis.  I don't know what people expect from the guy.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I gave two very new and interesting facts

1) tackle for loss stat.

2) His total tackle lead is due to a jacked up assist total.

Why are the Mayo apologists so hateful and rude?  I know because they are all Rusty and his 15 accounts.

Sorry but he just not that good and using total tackles as the one stat to try somehow to quantify how good a LB is, well that's just weak or just all you Rusty's have to hang onto.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

An assist for a tackle is the equivalent of a half sack; if 2 defenders hit the ball carrier at the same time and it's not clear which one made the stop, they each get an assist and there is no solo tackle on the play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There are not a ton of linebackers out there that are better than Mayo.  He is not Patrick Willis.  I don't know what people expect from the guy.   

[/QUOTE]

Call me spoiled, but I expect him to have an impact like Patrick Willis - why not? He was drafted around the same area and he is paid similar (if not more). There is a reason why the 49ers have a great defense - its because guys like him play like they're supposed to. There's also a reason why we have a poor defense - it's because guys like Mayo are not playing like they're supposed to. Not saying its because they are not trying to play well, but I am saying they just aren't capable of doing it.

Mayo seems like he is one of the most likable, down to earth guys on the team....he just isn't making a difference. We need difference makers. He was drafted and paid high enough to warrant those expectations. I know he plays on every down, but why do people think he is such a outstanding player?

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Call me spoiled, but I expect him to have an impact like Patrick Willis - why not? He was drafted around the same area and he is paid similar (if not more). There is a reason why the 49ers have a great defense - its because guys like him play like they're supposed to. There's also a reason why we have a poor defense - it's because guys like Mayo are not playing like they're supposed to. Not saying its because they are not trying to play well, but I am saying they just aren't capable of doing it.

Mayo seems like he is one of the most likable, down to earth guys on the team....he just isn't making a difference. We need difference makers. He was drafted and paid high enough to warrant those expectations. I know he plays on every down, but why do people think he is such a outstanding player?

[/QUOTE]

Patrick Willis 2012 - 89 tackles 0.5 sacks 1 FF 1 FR 1 INT 8 PD 3 STF

Jerod Mayo 2012 - 112 tackles 2 sacks 3 FF 1 FR 1 INT 2 PD 2 STF

Mayo's "impact" has been better then Willis this year. SF isn't a great D because of 1 single player, they have several great players. navarro bowman is a pro bowler, justin smith, aldon smith...etc. mayo is one of the bright spots of this defense. let's focus on what needs to be fixed. there is only one patrick willis.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I guess  I'm just missing something here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you also ever consider what his role is and what he's being asked to do? 1 gap linebackers see a hole shoot the gap and hit the first thing that comes through...which was why Adlesias Thomas was a world beater with the Ravens...Two gap linebackers which is what the Patriots deploy is a read and react defense. As for linebackers tackling behind the line of scrimmage, how many times have you seen Spikes "run blitz" where he picks a hole and bull rushes through...End of the day the defensive scheme employed by the team has a huge impact on a defensive players ability to rack up stats...Mayo is the leading tackler for a reason and that becasue the Patriots defensive line also has two gap responsibility and one of their primary jobs is to hold the point of attack and keep the lineman off the linebackers who's job in this defense is make the tackle giving up minimal yardage (less than 3 yards per carry)...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I gave two very new and interesting facts

1) tackle for loss stat.

2) His total tackle lead is due to a jacked up assist total.

Why are the Mayo apologists so hateful and rude?  I know because they are all Rusty and his 15 accounts.

Sorry but he just not that good and using total tackles as the one stat to try somehow to quantify how good a LB is, well that's just weak or just all you Rusty's have to hang onto.

[/QUOTE]

You only are looking at fantasy stats. Having a good player allows you to run defense scheme regardless if that player generates stats. Richard Seymour was used in the same way. You are the rude and hateful one here. On top of that you have a very limited football knowledge and are very boastful. A terrible combination.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Patrick Willis 2012 - 89 tackles 0.5 sacks 1 FF 1 FR 1 INT 8 PD 3 STF

Jerod Mayo 2012 - 112 tackles 2 sacks 3 FF 1 FR 1 INT 2 PD 2 STF

Mayo's "impact" has been better then Willis this year. SF isn't a great D because of 1 single player, they have several great players. navarro bowman is a pro bowler, justin smith, aldon smith...etc. mayo is one of the bright spots of this defense. let's focus on what needs to be fixed. there is only one patrick willis.

[/QUOTE]

If Mayo suks then patrick Willis should be released soon.