New Draft Format $ucks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

New Draft Format $ucks

Look I understand the NFL wanted to maximise the value they could get from the draft but to stretch it over 3 days is the worst idea. I hold Massive Draft Parties Saturday and Sunday with a couple big screen TV's with the draft on one and Nascar/Baseball on the other food poker drinks good times. Now my buddies and I are all taking Friday off so we can have a party Thursday night (actually our normal poker night) and then get together friday for Part Deux... Now I have to miss the interesting/fun part of the draft where we normally try to guess who they pick next (actually we have all had hits doing this) because I am taking my wife out Saturday for a day of shopping in Freeport, Home of L.L. Bean and about a hundred other Factory Outlets for those not familiar, and then to dinner and maybe a movie that night.  Now I have to get a few things for fishing season and I will certainly enjoy some time at L.L. Beans but I would rather of done this at some other time and been able to enjoy the whole draft. Nice to see someone else agrees...

Shalise Manza Young in her chaT 03/31/10: 
    Personally I'm not a fan, Curious - as a writer, the Thursday night prime-time means I'll be working to beat the deadline clock. I know a number of NFL fans love to get up on Saturday and either bunker down alone or gather with friends for that first day, but how many will do that Thursday night and Friday night, and then Saturday too? But it all comes down to money - the NFL can charge more for commercials in prime-time than at 3p on a Saturday...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

Re: New Draft Format $ucks

DaB,
    Love your work, for the most part.  Look, I am now willing to admit I am an NFL dork.  It took a little while, but I have arrived at that conclusion.  I am 28, have a number of good friends and a fiance ect.  Only one or two or my close friends (and pops) are real NFL fans and while they would be interested in who the pats drafted, they won't be sacrificing any of their time to watch the draft.

I on the other hand will be watching at least the first 2 (plus the 4th and most of the 5th) rounds and geeking out over the draft.  But come on, the NFL knows it's audience.  This is not the super bowl.  Most people watch this by themselves while their wives/gf's get quietly pissed off in the other room. This is not a social event for most.  Games are one thing for parties, the nfl draft is a slow boring event for 98% of americans.  Its just us "cool" guys who watch. Commercials wouldn't even be a big deal if we weren't representative of the holy trinity of advertising (heads of family, young professionals with disposable income, and diehard fans).  But from the perspective of a guy who on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th will be at the movies/out at the bars and attending a charity ball wearing a tux (i recently found out I agreed to this a couple of months ago, i don't own a tux...) and catching live snipits on NFL.com on his phone, I love this move.  spread out the wealth man.  More draft, more fun.  Just one guys take on it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

But Bro... It ruined my guys only weekend that we have done since 2000... And my wife didn't mind she and the girls went shopping and to a spa usually so she got what she wanted and us guys had a blast also... And Maybe I havent added this but I along with most of my friends have Club seats and have been at the very least season ticket holders for many years some dating back to the mid 70's like my dad and who I took the seats over from and then upgraded to club seats (Business investment) when Gillette was built... I still say they should have called the place "The Blade"... cool huh?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm gonna have to agree with DaBlade having it on 3 days is just silly, esp Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Lets face it most people watch the 1st and maybe the 2nd but lose interest after that. If you start at noon on Sat you'd be done with 2 rounds by like 6/7ish and finish by the latest at 9 with the 3rd. You can still have guy parties and leave the night free which is enough to make even women happy. But, only the die hards would watch rounds 3-7 so, like me, they prob already made plans not to be disturbed that weekend. I just feel that spreading it out over 3 days will lose a good chuck of people after the 1st round since that's the big draw, not to mention that most will want to head out on Fri night instead of watcing the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I guess it all depends on who you ask.  For me, the new format actually works out for the best; because I'm a nurse and most healthcare related jobs want you to work every other weekend.  Because of this, it means that some years (not every year) I end up only catching little snippets of the draft coverage prior to going to work and then having to sneak online to find out who the Pats selected etc...

The other aspect to the new format is that it's scheuled for primetime, which means that more people will be likely to see it.  I do understand where DaBladeis coming from though.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

First of all, let me voice my opinion in favor of calling it "the Blade" instead of just going with "Gillette" which is an awkward word to say and type.

I think the primetime nature of the draft is going to work in the NFL's favor.  In a couple of years, should the drafts popularity continue to trend upwards like it is doing, this could be a major TV move.  This is the first time that the NFL took control of the draft broadcast, they cut espn out so they can rake in the dough a couple of years down the road.  I can see them "tweaking" it in the future.

DaBlade, if they go 1st on friday night primetime and go 2nd to 4th on sat in Primetime and 5-7 sunday could you still throw your guys weekend?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

3 days is what is the deal breaker for me and most of my friends, as we all talked about it around the Super Bowl and we decided the thursday night party Take Friday off (going to try and get some golf in that day, fishing if it isn't golf weather)then hold round two of the party friday night and like I mentioned we all agreed 3 days was too much to ask of our wives. 

Personally I think you could get the best of both situations by having round one on Friday night and rounds 2-7 on Saturday. That would be the same as before but starting on Friday night we could still have a good time, the wives could go have their spa day Saturday and go to the movies for a chick flick or something Friday night.

And as a funny aside... I met Kraft after they sold the naming rights to the Stadium (unless you have been a fan for a while you might not remember this) becoming CMGI Stadium... which later fell apart do to a failing company.  Durring our chance meeting I told him how my dad had bought season tickets in 1975 and we had been in attendance for at least 80% of the Home games including Pre Season through the years (we donate a game each year to Make a Wish foundation and have on a rare occasion not used our seats due to a Wedding or something and given them to friends) and we think the Stadium should be at least unofficially named The Blade... he smiled and said that it has a certain ring to it doesn't it. Anyway a nice guy spending 5-6 minutes with a small group of fans who recognised him... It will always be the Blade to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

That the draft has become "must see" televsion paints a disturbing picture about the evolution of NFL fan, but that's another topic for another time. Let this be further evidence -- if anyone still needs convincing -- of just who and what, exactly, runs the NFL. It ain't the owners and it ain't the commissioner and it sure as hell ain't the fans. If it meant more money in network coffers they would hold the draft at 3:00 a.m., on Wednesday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I think three days is absolutely ridiculous. They should keep it a two day event so people with lives can plan to watch it. Just like DaBlade, I like getting a bunch of friends together and watching the draft. Not just the first two rounds, but the entire thing. Having it stretched throughout three days will make this impossible. They are going to get terrible ratings on the third day, and would be better off keeping it as a long event throughout a two day span. Also, most people will have been all drafted out by the third day and will find something else to do other than see seventh rounders getting picked. I think it's best to fit it into two long days and get it over with.

I dunno, I'm pretty upset with this decision. I'm starting to hate Roger Goodell as commish more and more as time goes on. I know the NFL is a business, but come on. It's your job to be there commish, other people have jobs outside of the draft and family that hates us spending out time watching it.

I would like to know NFL teams, coach's, and GM's opinions on the draft time change.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Maybe it is time to grow up.....  Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Let me re frame my thoughts on this I think it will help...

1st I see the reason to move at least the first round to prime time... bigger comercial deals, added excitement might draw in a few new fans of the draft.  But to go beyond two days I think will hurt the NFL overall.

2nd... I like the second round being the new fourth round... better quality of players so the chances this break could lead to wild trading is enhanced, thus making the viewers experience that much more interesting.

I realise that the NFL doesn't need to ask me for permission to do these things but they are risking turning off some of the NFL's biggest fans who I might add spend a lot of money in ticket sales, merchandise sales, and people like me who use the perks of a Club membership to enhance their business.

Now I will be following what is happening by the occasional mobil check on twitter or whatever... I think I talked my wife into going to a sports pub for dinner... she likes the seafood there while were out shopping, giving me yet another chance to see what is going on.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucky13calistyle. Show lucky13calistyle's posts

Personally, I like the new format... now I can enjoy both the first and second rounds without having to dedicate an entire day in front of the TV.

having the first round on Thursday makes perfect sense for both the networks and the NFL as it maximizes viewing potential... most Americans have a regular work day on Friday and therefore are pretty much gauranteed to be home and available during the prime time TV spot that is being used for the 1st round

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I think we all need to go out an mow the lawn, plant flowers ect. The draft is like watching paint dry. I'd rather wait till the end of the day, go on line and see what transpired!!!! Also "DaBlade", a better party would be two different games on your TV's, one being the Pats, NOW that's a party!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Done that when they are playing away games but when their home were usually there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

In Response to Re: New Draft Format $ucks:
    Personally, I like the new format... now I can enjoy both the first and second rounds without having to dedicate an entire day in front of the TV. having the first round on Thursday makes perfect sense for both the networks and the NFL as it maximizes viewing potential... most Americans have a regular work day on Friday and therefore are pretty much gauranteed to be home and available during the prime time TV spot that is being used for the 1st round
    Posted by lucky13calistyle

I totally agree.  I haven't missed a draft since 90 and I always felt bad wasting a nice Saturday afternoon.  Now I can come home from work on Thursday and tune in.  I have Friday's off from work so it's easy to stay up later.  I do think it maximizes the viewing potential as you said.  The NBA always did their draft on a Wednesday night and has been pretty successful.  I think overall people will like this format better. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I could understand them having the draft over three days if it was the old 21 round format (or whatever), but this format is clearly designed to a) retain fan interest, b) ad revenue c) drive up ratings (see ad revenue). I have no problem with it being in prime time, personally. I still think the diehard fans will watch even if the 1st is at 3:00 A.M. on a Sunday. But yeah it;s about money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I have been watching the draft forever, much to the amusement of my family. But for the last three years even they have been getting into it. Buffalo Wild Wings has a Saturday draft party where everyone gets to guess who the next pick will be, lots of fun and prizes. We have 10-12 people in our party. I guess that's over now.
     I could live with the Fri-Sat or even Fri-Sat-Sun, but Thu night is terrible. Meditation starts @ 0400 work @ 0630.

As a consumer of the NFL product, I will be protesting the only way I can, by boycotting Thu night's draft. As much as that will pain me, I will be relegated to the internet for updates.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm with you Blade. Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning was perfect for me.

Also, Don't forget the Freeport Outlets are open on Sunday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Ok I have been thinking (my wife says that is dangerous) here is an interesting thought... how about 5 min's per selection all rounds.

If they did 5 mins per pick rounds 1-7 (8 if you count compensatory).

Do rounds 1 and 2 Friday Prime time. Start at 7pm it ends around midnight.

Do rounds 3-7 plus compensatories which technically makes this an 8 round draft and start it at 10am Saturday its done by 10pm.

These teams know who they are going to pick for the most part depending on who is available and if they work their big board well 5 minutes is more then enough, and they should have preworked possible trades that might come up.

3rd round start on Saturday is the spot where teams will find a gem that was missed on day one making it the new 4th/2nd this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree.  This Thursday night stuff - will be weird but as we all know - it's ALL about the $$$$$$.   The NFL is cashing in because they know they can. 

I really liked the Sat @ noon time start - but those days seem to be long gone...looks like we better get use to the Thur night / Fri night draft and Saturday draft for the rest of the rounds. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

The NFL is failing to see one major point in this new set up.  More households will be watching(which is what they want), but less people will be watching.  For example, I used to have a HUGE draft party, last year we had 38 people over, drinking, eating, watching the draft.  But that was 1 household/1 tv.  Now we are all going to watch at home so about 15 households and 15 tvs, but probably a total of 20 poeple, therefore losing 18 viewers.  The wives who dont love football wont watch without the social interaction of the larger group.  That in turn makes it harder for those of us that are trying to introduce our better halves to the game.  Most of those not into it already, wont just jump in.  They need slow, social integration.  This new format hurts that.

And i f u have not already, please I encourage you to voice your displease to the NFL on NFL.com, there is a contact them section where u can email them.  Maybe they will hear our voices.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to New Draft Format $ucks: This is a great post.
    Look I understand the NFL wanted to maximise the value they could get from the draft but to stretch it over 3 days is the worst idea. I hold Massive Draft Parties Saturday and Sunday with a couple big screen TV's with the draft on one and Nascar/Baseball on the other food poker drinks good times. Now my buddies and I are all taking Friday off so we can have a party Thursday night (actually our normal poker night) and then get together friday for Part Deux... Now I have to miss the interesting/fun part of the draft where we normally try to guess who they pick next (actually we have all had hits doing this) because I am taking my wife out Saturday for a day of shopping in Freeport, Home of L.L. Bean and about a hundred other Factory Outlets for those not familiar, and then to dinner and maybe a movie that night.  Now I have to get a few things for fishing season and I will certainly enjoy some time at L.L. Beans but I would rather of done this at some other time and been able to enjoy the whole draft. Nice to see someone else agrees...   Shalise Manza Young in her chaT 03/31/10:  Personally I'm not a fan, Curious - as a writer, the Thursday night prime-time means I'll be working to beat the deadline clock. I know a number of NFL fans love to get up on Saturday and either bunker down alone or gather with friends for that first day, but how many will do that Thursday night and Friday night, and then Saturday too? But it all comes down to money - the NFL can charge more for commercials in prime-time than at 3p on a Saturday...
    Posted by DaBlade

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

In Response to New Draft Format $ucks:

couldn't agree more.  Hate the new draft.  It stinks and what really stinks is the only way to send a message to the NFL is by not watching.  How many of us can really do this?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In Response to Re: New Draft Format $ucks:
    In Response to New Draft Format $ucks : couldn't agree more.  Hate the new draft.  It stinks and what really stinks is the only way to send a message to the NFL is by not watching.  How many of us can really do this?
    Posted by hagen910

I can. I'll be tuning in from Fri on. You can't just knuckle under. Exercise your right as a consumer to boycott if it is something you don't like. It hits 'em in the wallet, which is all they care about. I've always said that draft day is like Christmas, now Fri. morning will really be like Christmas morning, I can run down the stairs to the computer and see what BB me!