New England Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

New England Defense

I was very impressed with how the defense played. The Bills, no doubt, aren't the most formidable opponent. Their QB is young, and although talented, inconsistent. That said, they have a solid OL, two very talented HBs, and Stevie Johnson is a talented WR. 

I was very pleased with the run defense, the pass-rush, while somewhat inconsistent, showed up at times, and the coverage on the backend was impressive. Manuel had to pull the ball down and reset his feet a number of times due to blanket coverage. 

The stats tell the story...

14 points allowed, 15 first-downs allowed, 4-13 on 3rd down (this is huge, especially if they can maintain this), 286 total yards allowed (150 passing, 136 rushing), and 2 turnovers.

Again, Buffalo is by no means a Denver or Houston of the world, but they have some notable talent. Relative to how our defense has fared in recent years against Buffalo, I was very pleased. Let's wait until we play a better offensive team, but I think there's some reason for optimism. The pass-rush flashed, and the coverage seemed to hold up much better than in the past. Perhaps the most important aspect was the 3rd down defense, which was very, very strong.

Is this an indicator for the rest of the season? Who knows. But there has to be some optimism after today. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re: New England Defense

I agree

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

I completely agree. This is what we have been waiting for, a D that can win close games untill the O finds the rythm.

Supra societatem nemo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Furthermore, they only gave up 7 points on a long field. 14 points total, but 7 of those came off the Sudfeld drop -> INT. They were working on a short field there. 

Let's go Pats!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

I completely agree. This is what we have been waiting for, a D that can win close games untill the O finds the rythm.

Supra societatem nemo

Amen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm not.  The bills shot their own feet with penalties.  As much as I hate to say this, the bills should have won. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

I'm not.  The bills shot their own feet with penalties.  As much as I hate to say this, the bills should have won. 

Agreed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

The only aspect of the defense that disappointed me was the pass rush (no sacks and somewhat inconsistent)...however every other aspect was great. 

Arrington had a very good game in particular, amongst a few others.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Buffalo played their game, ran the ball, tried to turn it into a grind it out, ball control game... we did it better than them. 

A win is a win is a win, in November nobody is going to be concerned by how much they won, only that they won. 

Win pretty, win ugly, just win...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Would have liked to see a little more pressure on the QB, but they tightened up when they needed to and got Buffalo quickly off the field in the 4th when the game was on the line.  Only time will tell, but all and all they played well enough to get the job done and overcame some ealry mistakes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

I was very impressed with how the defense played. The Bills, no doubt, aren't the most formidable opponent. Their QB is young, and although talented, inconsistent. That said, they have a solid OL, two very talented HBs, and Stevie Johnson is a talented WR. 

I was very pleased with the run defense, the pass-rush, while somewhat inconsistent, showed up at times, and the coverage on the backend was impressive. Manuel had to pull the ball down and reset his feet a number of times due to blanket coverage. 

14 points allowed, 15 first-downs allowed, 4-13 on 3rd down (this is huge, especially if they can maintain this), 286 total yards allowed (150 passing, 136 rushing), and 2 turnovers.

Again, Buffalo is by no means a Denver or Houston of the world, but they have some notable talent. Relative to how our defense has fared in recent years against Buffalo, I was very pleased. Let's wait until we play a better offensive team, but I think there's some reason for optimism. The pass-rush flashed, and the coverage seemed to hold up much better than in the past. Perhaps the most important aspect was the 3rd down defense, which was very, very strong.

Is this an indicator for the rest of the season? Who knows. But there has to be some optimism after today. 

NO MATTER what anyone says, our D won the game today, with a littel help from DA!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Because our offense didnt leave a ton of points on the field? The Bills Defense had most of the teams penalties, not their offense. The Pats D had a good game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Is it New England's fault that Buffalo had a number of miscues? Of course not. 

All the defense can do is control what they can control, and play to the best of their ability. That's exactly what they did, and it lead to a rather impressive performance. 

Should the Bills have won? Absolutely not. Penalties are a part of the game, and if you play stupid football, you will be punished. New England didn't have their best performance ever, but they limited their miscues and made plays late in the game, in the clutch, when they needed it the most.

I saw a mirror image of the Pats of late. We've gotten used to a frontrunning team that crumbles under pressure and late in games. Today, they struggled during the early parts of the game, but when they had to have a play late, both the defense and offense stepped up. Not saying their identity has changed, but it was a pleasant change, at least for today.

Let's go Pats!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

21 points is decent against Buffalo. 

We need to see what Buffalo's "fast" offense turns into this season before we can judge this performance. 

That said ... when the game was on the line, they did stop them. That is a good thing. 

When the game was on the line ... everyone stepped up on both sides of the ball. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Sure, they did cash in some stupid penalties, but you cannot honestly say the Bills deserved to win?

If not for Ridley, and Bradys' fumble it is a blowout. Brady is usually one on the best at executing a sneak, so I don't think that happens again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

NO MATTER what anyone says, our D won the game today, with a littel help from DA!

[/QUOTE]

Seriously, the way our offense played, the Bills should've scored about 35 points. The D only gave up 14. Last year's defense loses that game, though we got breaks, the defense played well and we shouldn't take ot from them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Moreover, New England's offense left plenty of points on the board as well. That type of argument, which claims a team shot itself in the foot and left points on the board, simply holds no water.

Ridley's fumble, Brady's muffed snap, the multiple drops in the endzone, which were the difference between 3 points and 7 points at that time. Had New England capitalized on those opportunities, the margin of victory is much larger. Had New England capitalized and Buffalo avoided their miscues, it would have likely been a similar outcome; New England in a close game.

Let's go Pats!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

We need to see what Buffalo's "fast" offense turns into this season before we can judge this performance. 

That said ... when the game was on the line, they did stop them. That is a good thing. 

When the game was on the line ... everyone stepped up on both sides of the ball. 

Agreed on all fronts, ZB. It should be noted, however, that although Buffalo scored 21 points, 7 of those came on a fumble recovery for a TD. The defense only allowed 14 points.

I liked that all 3-phases executed with the game on the line. Felt a bit more like the early 2000s, as opposed to the more recent iterations of the Pats we're used to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am happy with the defensive performance. I would have like to see more of a pass rush against a weak offensive line (no sacks and 4 QB hits), but they stop Buffalo when for an unknown reason they kept running hurry up in the fourth quarter and that won the game.

To me the biggest takeaway was no big passing plays which was the biggest problem the defense had last year.

I am interested to see how they do against a better offense. Buffalo was not excuting very well regardless of the Pats defensive perfomance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Now all we have been hearing for years now is how our defense can't stop good teams or bad teams.  Or, that they can make even the most pedestrian quarterback look like Joe Montana.  Well, guess what.  That didn't happen today.  The D got it done when it had to.  I don't want to hear any excuses as to why this game somehow shouldn't be considered a good game for the defense.  To me, it was a good start.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Now all we have been hearing for years now is how our defense can't stop good teams or bad teams.  Or, that they can make even the most pedestrian quarterback look like Joe Montana.  Well, guess what.  That didn't happen today.  The D got it done when it had to.  I don't want to hear any excuses as to why this game somehow shouldn't be considered a good game for the defense.  To me, it was a good start.

That was my take away. Rookie QBs have been an issue of theirs for a few seasons now. I think that despite not having a sack the pass defense on the whole was good. No passes over 20 yards is a big deal for this team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The rookie just put up a 105 on them in his first NFL start. I don't think they hand out awards for that kind of performance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The rookie just put up a 105 on them in his first NFL start. I don't think they hand out awards for that kind of performance.

What are you talking about?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

Agreed on all fronts, ZB. It should be noted, however, that although Buffalo scored 21 points, 7 of those came on a fumble recovery for a TD. The defense only allowed 14 points.

I liked that all 3-phases executed with the game on the line. Felt a bit more like the early 2000s, as opposed to the more recent iterations of the Pats we're used to.

[/QUOTE]

Yeha, that's right!

You also need to weigh it against past performances, where Buffalo has traditionally matched up well against NE on offense. 

They did a solid job today all around!

That said, if Manuel ends up leading a defense that only socres 18 ppg by the end of the season it will take some luster off of it.