New NFL Policy on bags at stadiums

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

New NFL Policy on bags at stadiums

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211996/article/nfls-new-bag-policy-to-improve-public-safety-at-games

Once again in the name of safety, little by little, our rights and privileges are being eroded.

Basically, you will no longer be able to take in bags unless they are clear and no larger than 12 X 6 X 12.  Obviously this is a reaction to the tragic events in Boston.  I get that.  But everything that's been done in the last 15 years has been a reaction - not after careful, reasonable thought.

This policy won't affect me personally.  I will still attend the occasional games.  But just as I am not a smoker I am offended by the bs rationale used to limit our freedoms. 

If they truly want safety, why aren't they making us take off our shoes like they do in airports?  Where are the random full body searches?  What about a shoe bomber that puts their shoe and explosives in a small bag and carry it in? etc. etc. etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: New NFL Policy on bags at stadiums

There are a lot of impositions on freedom far worse than this or smoking bans.  My concern is more about the loss of the right to due process when the government suspects you or a group with which you may be affiliated of criminal or terrorist activity. Compared to things like government searches without warrants, unchallengeable and indefinite detentions without charge, torture, and assassination, this particular restriction seems pretty innocuous to me. 

Unfortunately, the US has problems both with violent crime and terrorism, so some action to protect the public safety is required.  I don't mind reasonable restrictions on freedom, I just don't want freedoms to be taken away in secret without either public oversight or due process.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

With big screen TVs and programming like Red Zone and Sunday Ticket on the one hand, and all the expense and assorted nonsense you have to deal with going to games on the other, it's somewhat surprising that they still sell so many tickets. I have no desire to go to a football game on Sunday, really I don't see the reason. Maybe I'd go to tailgate and then head to a bar to watch the game (and all the other ones).

I think the sports leagues are going to have to do something to get folks to go to games, especially the smart phone generation. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

With big screen TVs and programming like Red Zone and Sunday Ticket on the one hand, and all the expense and assorted nonsense you have to deal with going to games on the other, it's somewhat surprising that they still sell so many tickets. I have no desire to go to a football game on Sunday, really I don't see the reason. Maybe I'd go to tailgate and then head to a bar to watch the game (and all the other ones).

I think the sports leagues are going to have to do something to get folks to go to games, especially the smart phone generation. 

Here's a good article on the dilemma faced by the NFL. 

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201208/nfl-fan-experience-stadium-home-fantasy-tv

They definitely need to improve technology within all stadiums to improve the experience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Personally, I love going to the games.  You see a lot you can't see on TV and the atmosphere is great.  I never regretted going when I lived in Mass.  It is a bit of a hassle ( and expensive) going now that I live in Toronto, but I like being there in person enough to still go to four or five regular season games a year and all playoff games. 

Bags are inconvenient to bring to the game anyway . . . 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

They've been trying to limit what you can take in to a ballpark for 20 years. You are the concessionaires competition. Unfortunately, now that imbeciles are attacking sporting events, this has to happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'll tell you what, I'd much rather them not allow bags than have a bomb go off and blow up an entire section, killing thousands. I don't take a bag into sporting events so it really doesn't affect me. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Personally, I love going to the games.  You see a lot you can't see on TV and the atmosphere is great.  I never regretted g anywayoing when I lived in Mass.  It is a bit of a hassle ( and expensive) going now that I live in Toronto, but I like being there in person enough to still go to four or five regular season games a year and all playoff games. 

I go with my kid to 3 or 4 Rays baseball games a year and it's a good time. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to get in and out and the team is entertaining. Same with Lightning games, it's a something to do on a midweek night and hockey is much better in person than on TV anyway.

But I've turned down tickets to the Bucs. I'd rather stay home on a Sunday and watch the Pats and all the other games.  The stadium is fine, but not as fine as my couch.  The exception would be night games, those are usually a good time.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Personally, I love going to the games.  You see a lot you can't see on TV and the atmosphere is great.  I never regretted g anywayoing when I lived in Mass.  It is a bit of a hassle ( and expensive) going now that I live in Toronto, but I like being there in person enough to still go to four or five regular season games a year and all playoff games. 

I go with my kid to 3 or 4 Rays baseball games a year and it's a good time. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to get in and out and the team is entertaining. Same with Lightning games, it's a something to do on a midweek night and hockey is much better in person than on TV anyway.

But I've turned down tickets to the Bucs. I'd rather stay home on a Sunday and watch the Pats and all the other games.  The stadium is fine, but not as fine as my couch.  The exception would be night games, those are usually a good time.  

[/QUOTE]

If my choice was watching the Bucs live or the Pats on TV, I'd do the same! 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

If my choice was watching the Bucs live or the Pats on TV, I'd do the same! 

Can't argue that...and I did find myself going to a lot more games in the Brooks, Sapp, Lynch days, so maybe it's the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

No problem with the bag policy...safety first, don't need to witness someone being blown to red mist in front of my eyes......it's not anything a human being is suppossed to witness EVER....Boston changed my mind about limits on personal freedom forever...as long as people want us dead it's the way it has to be... 

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Terrorists are NOT the huge threat so many seem to think they are. You are MUCH more likely to be killed in a car accident or as the result of a violent crime. You are even more likely to get hit by lightning or win the lottery

Over 10,000 a year die violently by guns. That's 120,000 people since 2001. Roughly the same with drunk drivers. That's almost a quarter of a million people since 2001, from only 2 things!!!

How many have been killed by terrorists... even taking into account the 3000 from 9/11?

Was the marathon bombing some big Al Qaeda operation???? No, it was one moron and his even more moronic brother who used the internet, an old crock pot, gunpowder from unrolled fireworks, and some ball bearings etc. Total cost was probably UNDER $100 each

The marathon was targeted because it was out in the OPEN, not a stadium with a pat down. NOTHING could have prevented it except for maybe a regular citizen in the right place & time, with his/her eyes open . Not the NSA snooping through emails, phone calls, or text messages. Not the thousands of uniformed cops who were present and on the lookout for this very type of thing. Not the undercover cops, snipers, or military.

That's how the bomber got caught, a regular citizen, taking out the trash... AFTER the city shutdown was lifted and hundreds of cops with military weapons FAILED to find him. He likely would have been found QUICKER, WITHOUT the shutdown, because his face was EVERYWHERE and EVERYONE would have been looking out for him 

Existing security is/was FINE. This new rule is moronic. If they wanted to increase security they could bring in a bomb sniffing dog. Dogs are AWESOME at that task. If they hit on you, you get a second, more personal, inspection by security

People are so ridiculously freaked out that an empty cardboard box that innocently blows off the back of a truck and lands in the street could shut down a large section of a city for hours. 

Even more ridiculous is the hassle that amateur photographers get for taking pictures in public. Now they are ALL possible terrorists and security runs out of buildings to scream at you for taking a picture or people driving by call the cops if they see someone taking pictures... when ANYONE can go on Google Earth and get great BIRDS EYE VIEWS of power plants, bridges etc that are WAY better than anything you can get from a sidewalk. 

I don't want to live in a police state. I'd rather live free and take my chances

Too long to read? Whatever. People cowering in fear over terrorists just irks me to no end. In a FREE society, there will be some danger... BECAUSE we ARE free.

"I" don't want to lose that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Two things here:

First, about that smoking thing. I don't smoke anymore and don't really care how much cigarettes cost, but where I live the governor -- who got elected promising to raise taxes on (you guessed it) the one percent -- just authorized a massive cigarette tax increase of almost $1.50 per pack to help defray the "people's" share of the new Vikings stadium; a share that was supposed to have been paid for by specific gambling revenues (electronic pull-tabs) which -- surprise, surprise -- never materialized. Incidentally, there was no referendum for partial state subsidy of the new stadium. It was simply handed to us by the legislature. So now smokers get to pay for a stadium in which they will not be allowed to smoke.

God bless Amerika!

and . . .

As far as carrying bags into the stadium goes, it's just more of that whole people who would forfeit freedom for security deserve neither (or however that goes) screed. A funny story though:

Way back in olden times, when I was a lad, I used to bring my binoculars to the game . . .   which was perfectly fine in those days. Now, I didn't really need my binoculars. In those days there weren't all that many fans and you could usually get a pretty good seat (insofar as there was not really any such thing as "a pretty good seat" in Foxboro; nee Sullivan; nee Schaefer Stadium). The whole point of bringing  the binoculars was that I could fit two 16-ounce Budweisers in the case while I walked in with the binoculars strung around my neck. Worked like a charm, over and over again.

I'm not really sure what the point of all this rambling is . . .   unless it's that if you really want to get something into the game . . .  I mean really, really want to . . .   you'll find a way.

Oh, and if Allah wills it, of course.

Wink

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Gotta agree with ya, Muz on this one. Maybe I'm just getting to be an old f*rt, but going to the games is more of a hassle than it's worth. With the price of tickets, parking, dealing with the unruly crowds and of course the traffic, I'll stay at home in comfort to watch the games, Thank You Very Much!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211996/article/nfls-new-bag-policy-to-improve-public-safety-at-games

Once again in the name of safety, little by little, our rights and privileges are being eroded.

Basically, you will no longer be able to take in bags unless they are clear and no larger than 12 X 6 X 12.  Obviously this is a reaction to the tragic events in Boston.  I get that.  But everything that's been done in the last 15 years has been a reaction - not after careful, reasonable thought.

This policy won't affect me personally.  I will still attend the occasional games.  But just as I am not a smoker I am offended by the bs rationale used to limit our freedoms. 

If they truly want safety, why aren't they making us take off our shoes like they do in airports?  Where are the random full body searches?  What about a shoe bomber that puts their shoe and explosives in a small bag and carry it in? etc. etc. etc.

What a crock. Your liberty is threatened by a bag policy? You do realize that the stadium is private property. This idiotic whining about freedoms is old.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I am actually surprised that a major sporting event hasn't been attacked recently. I go to the Pats training camp and am surprised that they don't even seem to check bags there. What if a crazed Jets fan wanted to blow the Pats up? Honestly, I would give up one minute of my time to be checked so that others can feel safe. They say that it is a freedom to not get checked, but shouldn't I have the freedom to feel safe? It is a tricky topic and hard to say what a freedom is and isn't, but this  isn't the wild west. We don't walk around with guns and can't defend ourselves because most people believe they are free to walk the streets without being blown up or shot at. If you aren't okay with waiting a little while longer to get in then stay at home and watch it on TV. You have the freedom to choose that.

Edit: By major sporting event I mean one with a venue like Gillette or the Garden. Of course the Boston marathon is a sporting event.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I agree with the body searches gripe. Sometimes some sick people give things to children and the elderly and they are either too innocent or ingorant to realize they are being used, so I'm ok with that as long as it is done in a civil manner. The world is changing and we need to adapt to it. Unfortunately that means that sick people are able to hav access to deadly weapons and we need to find a way to counter it.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

What a crock. Your liberty is threatened by a bag policy? You do realize that the stadium is private property. This idiotic whining about freedoms is old.

From the league's perspective there's a huge business risk here too. Were a terrorist incident to occur, gate receipts would likely drop precipitously.  In addition, there would likely be huge lawsuits that the league and teams might lose. And then there's the property damage to the stadiums themselves.  From a business perspective mitigating that risk is critical . .  unless, of course, those who cherish the freedom to bring big bags to the ballpark are willing to pay for that freedom by reimbursing the league its costs if something bad were to happen?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GboroYankee. Show GboroYankee's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Sorry wrong post I thought this was a dating post

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Some people feel like they want insurance...some don't.

Personally, I don't feel robbed of any freedom at all just by a few security measures that might take a couple minutes of my time. If that's what it takes to ensure safety...bring it on.

No need to RISK massive loss of life just because a few lazy folks didn't want to be robbed of their freedom, and someone brings in a bomb and kills a bunch of children.

I understand when it's my time...it's my time....but see nothing wrong with going an extra step to keep my family safer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

There is nothing like being at a Pats game!  been going for years now, and many more to come!   while some of you are keeping track of your bum fantasy squads, im rooting for our defense to shut down the opposing offense and cheering loudly with other pats faithful when scoring Tds!   The games Ive been at, some of them being in the top 10 lists of greatest games of all time!  you cant put price tags on this fellas, games like the last game at foxboro stadium vs raiders, tuck rule game.  superbowl 36 in new orleans when pats won first championship Ever!  never saw so many grown men cry!  lol.  these are just two examples, but there are many many more!  all the afc title games in foxboro and playoff games!  

what i miss the most is Real grass!  too bad we all this fake stuff now, thats my only complaint.  i understand the costs are high!  i agree, but what has gone on since krafty has owned this team, has been special, and i feel lucky to be part of it!   

go pats!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Dunno how the leauge came up with the arbitruary bag size. Seems like a bit of an overreacion. Bags were already limited in size and checked. Of course security is important - will other major leauge sports follow with this size rule? I get safety is the issue- just not sure why or how the NFL determinded the change.
     It gets mighty cold in Foxboro. Will need to wear layers of clothes with lots of pockets. I do think the size rule will be a hardship for some fans and kids.