New Offensive Coordinator....?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

New Offensive Coordinator....?

Alright.... I'm feeling pretty good abot the draft, but what I am really concerned about at this point is we need a new OC.

Last year it drove my crazy.... every time we needed a first down we would throw the ball 3 yards short of the marker and hope for the extra YAC to make the first....!

.... Every single time...... it was so predictable it's rediculous.....

.... and countless other plays that were far too predicable.... no imagination whatsoever.

.... How about a screen play once in awhile....  

This is the time of the year when typically the coaching staff gets addressed.... I surely hope that we choose a decent Defensive coordinator..... but PLEASE do NOT bring back last years OC!  Yell

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Re:... new offensive coordinator....?

Don't worry about it......

the way I see it is that Belichick is sick of the league stealing his Coordinators....no if he doesn't name a coordinator, they are less likely to take them....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

In Response to Re:... new offensive coordinator....?:
    Don't worry about it...... the way I see it is that Belichick is sick of the league stealing his Coordinators....no if he doesn't name a coordinator, they are less likely to take them....
    Posted by m1021us

Excellent point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

You will be sad again this year.  Few of us liked O'Brian.  However, there is reason for hope (homer alert):

1. The team probably thought that they could resume 2007 with Brady back.  They schemed accordingly.  They thought wrong, but I doubt they'll think that again.

2. Better TE's, better blocking (Vollmer starting, TE's), and a legit 3rd receiver should help us.

3. We did show a return to a somewhat more physical offense in some of the latter games last year.  I hope that is the norm this year.

We also need Brady to get back his clutch play ability.  I have a theory that his clutch play loss is directly related to having 2 targets to throw to the majority of the time.  At one time, Brady had to look at every person downfield on every play to find who was open.  That's a perishable skill, and one that helps you come through in the clutch.  When you suddenly spend most of your playing time only having to look at two targets, you are no longer as good at finding the open guy when one or both of your top two targets is ineffective for some reason.  Just a theory...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: New Offensive Coordinator....?

On Offense I think OBrien I think his OC w/o a title. On defense he has a couple guys who I think want/deserve the title but belichick wasn't ready or sure which one to give it too cause when he does it is going to push one out the door and I think he wanted his coaching staff to stay together this season and will name one for Offense and Defense next season. If He had given Obrian the title on offense he would have hurt some feelings on the defensive side for not giving anyone the title. People forget the Oline Guru Dante Scarnechia is the Assistant Head Coach and also will take most of the duties not associated with play calling on offense that a OC would have anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

BUT... as far as naming an "official" coordinator - I thought I read if some other team takes one of these guys ( Peppers, O'Brien etc.) and they DO NOT have a "title" the Pats lose any compensation. If the coaches have "titles" they are giving compensation. So Bill my be pushing his luck in not having our coaching tree plundered again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Some great points there guys....

I also think that having a few good TE's will help big time... it seems like we haven't had a decent TE in years.

I always thought we should have kept Daniel Graham and traded Ben (drop the ball) Watson.

These two TE's we just drafted look really good....

I'd like to see Brady having multiple targets over the middle and some good wideouts to keep the DB's in check.... (like you guys said)

I was very disappointed last year to see Brady heaving the ball..... anywhere..... just so he didn't get hit... getting rid of it to avoid a sack is one thing, but just flinging the ball indiscriminately is another. Hopefully he has had time to shake off the knee injury and goes back to playing tough, smart football again.

I do understand that the offensive line is terrible lately and Brady hasn't had time to even think about who is open.... let's hope we can get some blocking help from these TE's to help out.

One last thought..... Does anyone else think that Vollmer did a WAY better job at LT last year?

I'm hoping BB picked up on that and either trades Matt Light or moves him over to RT (which I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate very much).... Vollmer was handling some big name dudes when he was at LT and even opening up some nice holes for the RB's....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I've said this already on several other posts.  Last yr was on the job training for O'Brien.  He should continue to improve as a play caller.  McDaniels wasn't very popular either after his 1st yr calling plays but he turned out OK.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I don't care if they name Mickey Mouse their offensive coordinator as long as the offensive approach is much more balanced next season.

The 5-wide, shotgun, spread-the-field approach worked for about 10 games in 2007, then teams began to catch up to them, and ultimately, it cost them a legendary season when they were too "married" to the scheme and couldn't change things up fast enough in the Super Bowl against the NYG.

Last year, the lack of balance was painful to watch sometimes.

Remember what Mr. Myagi told Daniel San: "If balance good, everything good. If balance bad, better pack up, go home."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: New Offensive Coordinator....?:
    Remember what Mr. Myagi told Daniel San: "If balance good, everything good. If balance bad, better pack up, go home."
    Posted by hardright

LMAO......ain't dat da truth. Think BB's got his wax mitts on?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I thought he said "wax on wax off" :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

...The 5-wide, shotgun, spread-the-field approach worked for about 10 games in 2007, then teams began to catch up to them, and ultimately, it cost them a legendary season when they were too "married" to the scheme and couldn't change things up fast enough in the Super Bowl against the NYG...
    Posted by hardright

How true.  Their spread offense worked all the way up to the Eagles game in 2007.  From that point forward it was good, but not great.  They would not have broken any offensive records had it played all season long the way it did from the Eagles game onward.  It really looked like they were counting on it working again in 2009.  I hope it goes away this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

If the guys past the first down marker are covered and you're about to get sacked you throw to your underneath guy and hope he manages to get enough yards after catch for the first down.  I'm glad we have a QB smart enough to know this and not force the ball down the field when it isn't there. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

If the guys past the first down marker are covered and you're about to get sacked you throw to your underneath guy and hope he manages to get enough yards after catch for the first down.  I'm glad we have a QB smart enough to know this and not force the ball down the field when it isn't there. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

.... well... that's NOT what happened last year at all.

... The famous.... "go for it" on 4th down vs the colts and the pass to Kevin Faulk play..... Randy Moss was WIDE OPEN 6 yards away for an easy first down... but Brady didn't see him....  something that really troubles me because Brady in years past was the best at scanning the field and finding the open guy.

I'm really not sure if last year Brady was playing "scared".... or what... but he sure didn't seem like the same guy that I have been a fan of since I first saw him in a pre-season game shortly after we drafted him.

I always disliked Drew "dumbo" and couldn't wait for Brady to get a chance.... and Wow did he ever play great....

Last year Brady seemed like a different guy than he has ever been.... and I'm not sure if it was because his O line is lousy anymore and he's getting pressured more than ever before or if he is playing scared... or, if he has not had someone that he trust's and respects on the sidelines reminding him to scan the field and look for the open guy....

.... or worse.... succummed to the...

_ Have 3 superbowl rings
    - have the supermodel wife
    - have a gazzilion dollars in the bank
    - I'm a supersar

Syndrone...

.... Something happened last year to Brady... that could just be the knee injury has lasting psychological effects which have to play out....

... but last year Brady was not the same guy that I had total confidence in years past....

... I found myself cringing almost every play... and even thinking I wished they would put Hoyer in because if you ask me Hoyer actually looks like a guy that reminded me of the old Brady.... 

Last year Brady seemed to have lost his balls somewhere along the way....

.... and By the way.... I'm not saying that 99% of the guys that have gone through what Brady has experienced wouldn't also lose their balls.....  

...It's a tall order to come through a devastating knee injury and to think.... 

.... What do I have to prove?

... I've won 3 superbowls.... I have the Hot Wife... and I'm set for life financially.... I'll just go out there and play the games and make sure I keep myself from getting maimed in the process.

.... that's great... and can probably win a lot of games with the talent that Brady has.....  but it's a far cry from someone who has MAJOR BALLS and something to prove as Brady did back when he was on top.

I'm hoping that the old Brady shows up this year and kicks everybody's behind....

... but it's a tall order when a guy like him has achieved so much as he has, to still have the fire that is capable of propelling him back to a superbowl win.... 

What aggravates me the most is that this team could have 5 or 6 superbowl wins instead of 3.... had they not farted around trading all their draft picks into the future and trying to sneek another title with glaring holes that could have easily been filled without much trouble...

The Patriots had "Lightning in a bottle" with the great team that won 3 superbowl rings.... that group of guys were "special".... 

Instead of going out and getting a decent DB they tried to put a band-aid on the problem with Duane Starks... remember him.... my grandmother could have covered better than him...

.... how about Ellis Hobbs.... who always seemed to be falling backwards just as the ball was arriving.... he was already short for pete sake.... but instead of timing it and leaping toward the ball he would fall down .... EVERY SINGLE TIME!

... and what about the linebacker experiments....

- Monty Beisel
    - Chad Brown

... do I need to continue?

When this team had the "lightning in a bottle" someone upstairs should have recognized it and put the gas pedal through the floorboards.... and said we are going to absolutely go for broke and crush the ball while we have this "special group of guys".... that kind of chemistry and talent might only come along once in a guys lifetime.... and as far as I'm concerned.... they dropped the ball... for several years.....

... and now..... the core group has gone.... traded.... retired.... and every one else has gotten smart to BB tactics and they have stolen our coach's and they have recruited talent and gotten better.... 

.... I was 6 rows behind the pats bench right on the 50 yard line for the AFC championship when the pats lost to the colts.... That should have been an easy 4th superbowl win had it not been for a drop by Reche' Calwell... who by the way was another glaring "band-aid".... and also Ellis Hobbs had several key blown coverages in that game....  The Bears were never going to be a match for the Pats that year...

...And the superbowl against the Giants... don't get me started with Ellis Hobbs and the glarring holes that we had on the O line .... just a few key spots that we could have brought in some talent.... but NOOOOO ... we had to try to stockpile our draft picks for the future and save a few bucks.... all the while IGNORING the fact that the "lightning in a bottle" was not going to last much longer.....

Yep..... that is going to rip me for a long, long time.....

Meanwhile... Brady's now gotten hurt and lost his edge? ... maybe I'm wrong about that... I truly hope he comes back with a vengeance... but as I said before.... that's a tall order for anyone who has gone through what he has...

.... and now.... we are rebuilding.......

.... Sigh......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: New Offensive Coordinator....? : .... well... that's NOT what happened last year at all. ... The famous.... "go for it" on 4th down vs the colts and the pass to Kevin Faulk play..... Randy Moss was WIDE OPEN 6 yards away for an easy first down... but Brady didn't see him....  something that really troubles me because Brady in years past was the best at scanning the field and finding the open guy. I'm really not sure if last year Brady was playing "scared".... or what... but he sure didn't seem like the same guy that I have been a fan of since I first saw him in a pre-season game shortly after we drafted him. I always disliked Drew "dumbo" and couldn't wait for Brady to get a chance.... and Wow did he ever play great.... Last year Brady seemed like a different guy than he has ever been.... and I'm not sure if it was because his O line is lousy anymore and he's getting pressured more than ever before or if he is playing scared... or, if he has not had someone that he trust's and respects on the sidelines reminding him to scan the field and look for the open guy.... .... or worse.... succummed to the... _ Have 3 superbowl rings - have the supermodel wife - have a gazzilion dollars in the bank - I'm a supersar Syndrone... .... Something happened last year to Brady... that could just be the knee injury has lasting psychological effects which have to play out.... ... but last year Brady was not the same guy that I had total confidence in years past.... ... I found myself cringing almost every play... and even thinking I wished they would put Hoyer in because if you ask me Hoyer actually looks like a guy that reminded me of the old Brady....  Last year Brady seemed to have lost his balls somewhere along the way.... .... and By the way.... I'm not saying that 99% of the guys that have gone through what Brady has experienced wouldn't also lose their balls.....   ...It's a tall order to come through a devastating knee injury and to think....  .... What do I have to prove? ... I've won 3 superbowls.... I have the Hot Wife... and I'm set for life financially.... I'll just go out there and play the games and make sure I keep myself from getting maimed in the process. .... that's great... and can probably win a lot of games with the talent that Brady has.....  but it's a far cry from someone who has MAJOR BALLS and something to prove as Brady did back when he was on top. I'm hoping that the old Brady shows up this year and kicks everybody's behind.... ... but it's a tall order when a guy like him has achieved so much as he has, to still have the fire that is capable of propelling him back to a superbowl win....  What aggravates me the most is that this team could have 5 or 6 superbowl wins instead of 3.... had they not farted around trading all their draft picks into the future and trying to sneek another title with glaring holes that could have easily been filled without much trouble... The Patriots had "Lightning in a bottle" with the great team that won 3 superbowl rings.... that group of guys were "special"....  Instead of going out and getting a decent DB they tried to put a band-aid on the problem with Duane Starks... remember him.... my grandmother could have covered better than him... .... how about Ellis Hobbs.... who always seemed to be falling backwards just as the ball was arriving.... he was already short for pete sake.... but instead of timing it and leaping toward the ball he would fall down .... EVERY SINGLE TIME! ... and what about the linebacker experiments.... - Monty Beisel - Chad Brown ... do I need to continue? When this team had the "lightning in a bottle" someone upstairs should have recognized it and put the gas pedal through the floorboards.... and said we are going to absolutely go for broke and crush the ball while we have this "special group of guys".... that kind of chemistry and talent might only come along once in a guys lifetime.... and as far as I'm concerned.... they dropped the ball... for several years..... ... and now..... the core group has gone.... traded.... retired.... and every one else has gotten smart to BB tactics and they have stolen our coach's and they have recruited talent and gotten better....  .... I was 6 rows behind the pats bench right on the 50 yard line for the AFC championship when the pats lost to the colts.... That should have been an easy 4th superbowl win had it not been for a drop by Reche' Calwell... who by the way was another glaring "band-aid".... and also Ellis Hobbs had several key blown coverages in that game....  The Bears were never going to be a match for the Pats that year... ...And the superbowl against the Giants... don't get me started with Ellis Hobbs and the glarring holes that we had on the O line .... just a few key spots that we could have brought in some talent.... but NOOOOO ... we had to try to stockpile our draft picks for the future and save a few bucks.... all the while IGNORING the fact that the "lightning in a bottle" was not going to last much longer..... Yep..... that is going to rip me for a long, long time..... Meanwhile... Brady's now gotten hurt and lost his edge? ... maybe I'm wrong about that... I truly hope he comes back with a vengeance... but as I said before.... that's a tall order for anyone who has gone through what he has... .... and now.... we are rebuilding....... .... Sigh......
    Posted by Patsfaninswflorida

I agree on most points.  I don't think any player coming back from that particular injury plays with the self-confidence which got them to their level of play prior to having that injury.  This is what I was told by a teammate of Jamal Lewis with the Baltimore Ravens as it took him a full year to regain his self-confidence and it does seem probable.  I expect Tom to do just fine this year.  I don't remember seeing Tom audible at the line very much last year as well.  If it were up to me, I would have Tom call most of his own plays. I fully expect this Team to have the attitude required to go all the way this year and I believe they have the required talent as well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Ok this guy is obviously a troll.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Who are you referring to?

... I am assuming that you are talking about me.... since I started this thread...

...please let me know before I go off... so as to make certain that I am not mistaken.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to New Offensive Coordinator....?:
    Alright.... I'm feeling pretty good abot the draft, but what I am really concerned about at this point is we need a new OC.Posted by Patsfaninswflorida

we got one, he plays QB

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

In Response to New Offensive Coordinator....? : we got one, he plays QB
    Posted by kansaspatriot

You're right... and it's been mentioned before in this thread....

... However having a strong OC on the sidelines can take a lot of pressure off a QB's back when it's clutch time.... 

Brady was his best when Charlie Weis was calling the shots because he had total confidence in the play calling and when Charlie told him he could pull it off.... he believed it and went out and executed....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

i thought bill obrien was awful. i see reason to believe otherwise. 

please find someone with some creativity and someone willing to run the ball when its working!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

LOL, yeah who does he think he is? Ernest hemingway? can't people just say what they mean in a couple sentences?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: New Offensive Coordinator....? : You're right... and it's been mentioned before in this thread.... ... However having a strong OC on the sidelines can take a lot of pressure off a QB's back when it's clutch time....  Brady was his best when Charlie Weis was calling the shots because he had total confidence in the play calling and when Charlie told him he could pull it off.... he believed it and went out and executed....
    Posted by Patsfaninswflorida

charlie weiss is coming through that door....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I was suprised Belichick didn't bring Weis back.  Then again maybe Weis wanted to come back to NFL in a place with no expectations of what he was like when he left.

One Shot One Kill to the ultimate is when the CIC says Nuke the Bast@rds!