New OT modifications for playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

New OT modifications for playoffs

Owners just voted to change the overtime rules, but only in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/23/overtime/index.html?eref=BrkNews

What do you all think of the change?

I'm glad a change was made, but I think it should be for the entire year instead of only for the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: New OT modifications for playoffs

I don't like the idea of having two different sets of rules for the regular season and the playoffs.

This is really going to confuse Donovan McNab.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mynameisAugustWest. Show mynameisAugustWest's posts

I think the most interesting thing is that the article said the coaches were "overwhelmingly" against the change.

It is funny that they point to the Saints/Vikes game as the "catalyst" for the change when in these same play-offs we had the Cards score a defensive TD to beat GB who had won the toss.  2 years ago GB won the OT toss and Favre was picked off and the Giants won.  I find the 59% to be an underwhelming stat.

It is essentially a game to 6, which I have thought for a while was the best idea I had heard proposed.  The college system of short fields and multiple possessions has no place in the NFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: New OT modifications for playoffs:
    p-mike, is that a quote from Ben Rapistburger you close with?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

It's a sentiment that perhaps Roethlisberger should have considered during his recent alleged exploits -- but actually it's what Mark Henderson, a work-release inmate, said when asked about the potential consequences of plowing a clean spot on the field for Jon Smith to kick a field goal from in an eventual 3-0 Pats victory over the Dolphins in 1982.

Are there Pats fans who don't know this story?

Or are you just having a little fun?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1106238/index.htm

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

If memory serves me right didn't Indy lose a Playoff game a few years ago to an overtime FG?

If so this is just another example of Napolian changing the rules to aid his team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I like it. At least they're moving in the right direction. My girlfriend actually just brought up a good point when I told her. What happens if they both get FG's on their opening possession? Do they flip a coin again or just have the first coin toss winner assume first possession? 
    Posted by Sam-Adams

It is basically the same structure as any half - the ball is kicked off to the team that gave up the points. 

The only thing that actually changes in how the game is played is that the OT kicking team gets a shot at winning if the receiving team only scores an FG.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I think the most interesting thing is that the article said the coaches were "overwhelmingly" against the change. It is funny that they point to the Saints/Vikes game as the "catalyst" for the change when in these same play-offs we had the Cards score a defensive TD to beat GB who had won the toss.  2 years ago GB won the OT toss and Favre was picked off and the Giants won.  I find the 59% to be an underwhelming stat. It is essentially a game to 6, which I have thought for a while was the best idea I had heard proposed.  The college system of short fields and multiple possessions has no place in the NFL.
    Posted by mynameisAugustWest

I think a game to 6 would work best as well. I also think it should count for both regular season and post season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Yea, This makes sense...  Example: NE wins coin toss, goes for a drive and gets a FG.  NYJ get the ball, and KNOW they have to get a TD, and KNOW it doesn't matter IF they turnover the ball on downs, so every single series is 4-downs worth of attempts...So they can play far cr#ppier in otherwords than NE, because they're goin' for broke and they KNOW exactly what they need to win.  Yea, giving each team the ball at the 50 (1 than the other, each time), AND In any given series of each team getting the ball, the first one to FAIL to get a TD in each team's series loses, when the other DOES get a TD within that series (and NO Field Goals). 

OR, Wow...How 'bout this...PLAY an extra quarter of football-oh STILL a tie (even though we're seeing greater scoring in the league)...well, fine.  NOW, simply do a coin-toss with sudden death, FGs, TDs-Everything's allowed...And NOW Zero of the 2 Teams can complain IF the first team that gets the ball actually scores and thus ends the game, Because, "Hey, ya EACH had your chance to end the game in that extra added on OT quarter of play, So Tough."  

There...that was real hard to figure out.  This "algebraic new and improved complication" IS an absurd way to "very minorly" better the very minor unfairness of the existing rule, WHILE at the same time, taking account for the candy-a## teams with maybe someone getting injured, OR the winner being just a tad more tired and worn out for the next upcoming playoff game...  They should have a hop-scotch contest instead.