Re: NFL Attendance & LA Expansion
posted at 11/2/2009 6:06 PM EST
In Response to Re: NFL Attendance & LA Expansion
[QUOTE]Caraway just made the point without realizing it. Pats flags? Steelers? Colts? Is it barely possible that these people are not necessarily from New England, Pittsburgh or Indy, but are merely front-runners?
Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]
I certainly can't speak for everyone supporting another team down here, but I do know that on my block:
1. Myself and one other guy displaying the Pats flags are from New England.
2. The third Pats fan grew up in Washington State, was a Drew Bledsoe fan, and has been following them since.
3. One Steelers fan is from PA, not sure about the other.
4. The Colts fan is from Louisville. As you know just a short drive from Indy.
So while it is certainly plausible that the non-native residents are more likely to display their team loyalty when their team is good, I think it's fair to say that SoCal is loaded with people from somewhere else. Here is a little really unofficial research I just did (City Data):
1. Only 39% of the residents of LA were born in CA. Factor in the folks who were born in NoCal (poss. other teams fans), and it's pretty dismal.
2. 47% of Boston residents were born in Mass. Since Mass is a much smaller state (geographical distance), a better comparison is to look at the state itself. 66% of Mass residents were born in Mass.
3. Fair to assume that the majority of the residents of ME, NH, and VT were born there too.
4. 5% of the residents of LA are from the Northeast.