NFL Divisional Playoff Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: NFL Divisional Playoff Predictions

On a Houston sports radio talk show, the rap is that there's hope for the Texans. Why? Because they were able to move the ball against a "legitimate" defense in beating Cincinnati...so they should be able to move the ball against the less legitimate Pats' defense. We'll soon see.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TP - pretty spot on for your picks, given you pick against the spread.  My two cents:

Only GB this past weekend showed REALLY well this past weekend, but, like Seattle, did not play against the Vikes top QB, back-up was horrible.  Seattle did, somewhat, but, if RGIII was completely healthy, I think that game would have been much different.  Texans did not impress against the Bengals and if the Bengals QB was more effective, hitting those many open receivers they had, hmmm.  Ravens, they did the job against a very young team, Denver a different story.

Of the 4 games, I can see Seattle upsetting Atlanta, they are young and hungry and I am certain Atlanta, given its playoff history, may wonder if it can win in the post season.  Doesn't help to be at home for them.   Denver may have that 11 game winning streak, but, when was the last time they were pressed to win, this is the playoffs, could they be soft?  GB-49ers, possibly the biggest toss-up in the division rounds.  all depends on how the 49ers D handles the Packers. Texans just can't have that "revenge" factor in their heads, as you noted to Quagmire.  Revenge means they may play in a reactionary way more than just play to win.  and, you know BB will be drilling into the players heads to totally forget the last game.  Plus Pats have too many healthy players back compared to the first game, especially Gronk and the Texans thought they had a problem with Herny!  My picks:

Seattle - Green Bay - Denver - Patriots

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On a Houston sports radio talk show, the rap is that there's hope for the Texans. Why? Because they were able to move the ball against a "legitimate" defense in beating Cincinnati...so they should be able to move the ball against the less legitimate Pats' defense. We'll soon see.   

[/QUOTE] I guess they did not see that last Pats game when they played a lot of subs and still shut out the Dolphins.  Seems they are listening to too many pundits about the Pats D, the same one that limited them to 14 points last game!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the texans had an awful gameplan when they first played the patriots. you arent going to beat the patriots by running the ball. the teams that cause the patriots trouble are the teams that spread them out and chuck it all over the yard, you see thr problems even chad henne and fitzpatrick gave them....kubiak really played into the pats hands the last time they played. if he has a similar gameplan this time, the texans will get crushed again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

as for my predictions:

Denver 28  Baltimore 20

New England 31  Houston 21

Atlanta 31 Seattle 14

Green Bay 27 san fran 24

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I posted this on another thread but I'll repost here for shitz and gigz

34-24  Patriots

24-21 Broncos

23-17 Seahawks

30-27 GB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please correct me if I'm wrong but last week was the first and only TD Shaub (I know I spelt that wrong) threw in 5 weeks? The only reason they were able to move the ball at all was Foster and I'm not sure Hou understands that one thing the Pats do really well is shut RB's down. If Foster isn't affective those little flat passes and play action passes won't work against the Pats. Really, the key on Hou's O is getting Foster going to get the play action open and Cinn's front 4 (thought good) isn't built with a huge run stopping anchor named Wilfork up the middle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Baltimore over Broncos- Only if they keep Manning on the sidelines. Limiting his time on the field will be crucial for the Ravens. Smacking him in the mouth by driving up the middle will be second...forcing Manning out of the pocket/with traffic is something Peyton hates.

Atlanta over Seattle- Cinderella season ends for Pete

Green Bay over SF - It will come down to one play. Rodgers makes it.

N.E. over Houston - Only if they play alot of no huddle to tire Houston out. They win if they score first and make Schaub battle back. Don't keep it close and don't be the first to fall behind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the texans had an awful gameplan when they first played the patriots. you arent going to beat the patriots by running the ball. the teams that cause the patriots trouble are the teams that spread them out and chuck it all over the yard, you see thr problems even chad henne and fitzpatrick gave them....kubiak really played into the pats hands the last time they played. if he has a similar gameplan this time, the texans will get crushed again.

[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. The Texans are going to have to loosen up the Pats "D" a bit by passing. While Andre Johnson is a great receiver, he's all the Texans have. Look for Schaub to throw a lot to his TEs, and to Foster, coming out of the backfield.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

As a Pats fan first but a SF fan 2nd, I was hoping for the SB matchup last year but the NY Giants did SF in and then the Pats for the 2nd time in 2 years. Last year NY got in with a 9-7 record but I'm happy they didn't this year with the same record.

SF needs to rush more than 4 men and blitz too on occasion as Rodgers had all day against Minn. I don't care if SF has 7 men back & GB only 1-3 receivers, Rodgers unmolested will find an open man. Key is pressure on him !!!

Am in a quandry re: Atlanta-Seahawks as it seems no one wants to play Seattle. They averaged over 50 pts per game in their last 3 reg season games and thrashed SF. But if Atlanta wins, SF needs go there but they do get homefield if Seahawks win.

Ultimately, I'm hoping for a Pats-SF superbowl and 49ers with a big lead were lucky to hold on against New England in their reg season victory but if I won't be despondent with either victor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmsphd43. Show jjmsphd43's posts

My picks:

Texans 33 - Patriots 28: much like the 49ers game Patriots stumble early and cannot fully recover enough to comeback and win it

Broncos 24 - Ravens 20: Manning does not play well, but Flacco throws at least one pick six and Denver's defense wins the game

49ers 17 - Packers 16: Packers have to settle for too many FGs in an ugly game

Falcons 24 - Seahawks 20: Seattle's luck runs out. Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez both have 100+ yard games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to jjmsphd43's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My picks:

Texans 33 - Patriots 28: much like the 49ers game Patriots stumble early and cannot fully recover enough to comeback and win it

Broncos 24 - Ravens 20: Manning does not play well, but Flacco throws at least one pick six and Denver's defense wins the game

Falcons 24 - Seahawks 20: Seattle's luck runs out. Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez both have 100+ yard games.

[/QUOTE]

If the Patriots don't bring their "A" game, they can be beat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

Went three of 4 against the spread this week. The Bengals failed me, by 2 points. Here are my picks for next weekends' games:

1.) (11-6) Baltimore Ravens (+9) @ (13-3) Denver Broncos:  The Buzzards did what they had to do in disposing of the Luck led Colts, 24-9. Bernard Pierce and Ray Rice gained 173 yards on 28 carries, in averaging over 5 yards per carry. But, Rice lost two fumbles...something that they can't afford to have happen, in Denver. Anquan Boldin had a big game, with 5 catches for 145 yards...which included a 50 yard reception, and a TD catch. But, they'll need to involve deep threat Torrie Smith and their TEs more, if they want to have a legitimate chance at beating the Broncos. On defense, they managed to get good pressure on Andrew Luck...sacking him three times., and hitting him 7 times more.                    Three weeks ago, the Buzzards were crushed in Baltimore by the Broncos, 34-17, in a game that was not as close as even that lopsided score indicates. Nontheless, the Ravens are a proud veteran team. If Joe Flacco brings his "A" game to the "Mile High City", they could pull the upset. Baltimore must also do a better job at stopping the run than they did against Indy (152 yards gained on 30 carries), and must mess up Peyton Manning's hair. Since Manning doesn't have the mobility of Andrew Luck, they can likely do the former.               The question is, can they get consistent pressure on Manning, that they got on Luck? Given time to throw, the deadly accurate Horseface will pick them apart. That...and the really big "if" regarding Joe Flacco bringing his "A' game, appear to be long shots. Flacco threw a horrible 98 yard pick six from the Broncos' 3 yard line in that previous loss, which proved to be the turning point of that game. The pressure is really on Joe. His performance in Denver will set the parameters regarding the number of zeroes on his new contract: PICK: Broncos;

2.) (12-5) Green Bay Packers (+3) @ (11-4-1) San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers are not the team that the Packers were hoping to see in this round. They have the pass rushers necessary to take advantage of the weaknesses on Green Bay's OL. They also have big, physical DBs to beat on the sleek Packer WRs. What would concern me if I were a Packers' fan is the recent difficulty that the Pack had in containing Adrian Peterson, and the Vikings' pass rush. Though Frank Gore is no AP, he's tough, and effective. To win this game, Green Bay must jump out to an early lead. If they're forced to play catch-up, it could get ugly: PICK: 49ers;

3.) (12-5) Seattle Seahawks (+2) @ (13-3) Atlanta Falcons: Tough game to predict, because of the unpredictability of the Atlanta Falcons. For the past couple of years, they've been world beaters in the regular season, and wimps in the play-offs. This is a huge game for Matt Ryan. If he hopes to retain the nick-name of Matty Ice, he must come up big in this one. Yet, as always when the play-offs come around, the Falcons have concerns. They are not running the ball well, as RB Michael Turner looks like he's spent. CB Dunta Robinson (concussion) and their sole pass-rusher, John Abraham (ankle), both went down in the final week of the season. Meanwhile, the Seahawks appear to be getting stronger, and gathering confidence each week. They have great balance on both sides of the ball, and appear to be the team to beat in the NFC: PICK: Seahawks;

4.) (13-4) Houston Texans (+9.5) @ (12-4) New England Patriots:  It's simple. Stop Arien Foster, and you stop the Houston Texans. Everything the Texans do on offense stems from their great RB. Look for the Texans to try to open up their offense a bit by throwing to their TEs, and to Foster, coming out of the backfield. But, make no mistake. Shutting down the Texans' running game is the key to beating them. On defense, the man to contain remains DE J.J. Watt, the best defender in the game. Watt is good enough that he alone can disrupt an offense.                                                                                                             

To win this game, the Patriots not be over confident. They must put aside the memories of that glorious 42-14 shellacking they gave the Texans early in December...and remember the 2010 season...when the 14-2, #1 seeded Patriots lost at home to the Jets, 28-21...a team they had crushed and humiliated just several weeks prior, 45-3. Though the Texans have not played as dominantly as they did early in the season, they are coming into Foxborough looking for revenge, respect, and redemption. The Pats must nip that quest in the bud immediately by starting fast, and jumping off to an early lead. Their offensive line must protect Tom Brady. This game will likely be decided by turnovers, and redzone defense. I look for the Patriots to win...but, win by 10 points or more?: PICK: Texans.

As always, your comments and predictions are welcome...particularly on the Pats' game.       

[/QUOTE]

Agree with all picks, except the Pats game.

They won't win by 28 again (too many bounces went their way last time), but 14 seems reasonable to me. The Texans are just not that good of a team; they were an eyelash away from being 9-7, while the Pats were an eyelash away from being 15-1.

The Texans' offense is just terrible in the Red Zone, whereas the Pats' D, while far from great, plays its best football in the Red Zone. Can't see the Texans scoring enough.

34-20, Pats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Went three of 4 against the spread this week. The Bengals failed me, by 2 points. Here are my picks for next weekends' games:

1.) (11-6) Baltimore Ravens (+9) @ (13-3) Denver Broncos:  The Buzzards did what they had to do in disposing of the Luck led Colts, 24-9. Bernard Pierce and Ray Rice gained 173 yards on 28 carries, in averaging over 5 yards per carry. But, Rice lost two fumbles...something that they can't afford to have happen, in Denver. Anquan Boldin had a big game, with 5 catches for 145 yards...which included a 50 yard reception, and a TD catch. But, they'll need to involve deep threat Torrie Smith and their TEs more, if they want to have a legitimate chance at beating the Broncos. On defense, they managed to get good pressure on Andrew Luck...sacking him three times., and hitting him 7 times more.                    Three weeks ago, the Buzzards were crushed in Baltimore by the Broncos, 34-17, in a game that was not as close as even that lopsided score indicates. Nontheless, the Ravens are a proud veteran team. If Joe Flacco brings his "A" game to the "Mile High City", they could pull the upset. Baltimore must also do a better job at stopping the run than they did against Indy (152 yards gained on 30 carries), and must mess up Peyton Manning's hair. Since Manning doesn't have the mobility of Andrew Luck, they can likely do the former.               The question is, can they get consistent pressure on Manning, that they got on Luck? Given time to throw, the deadly accurate Horseface will pick them apart. That...and the really big "if" regarding Joe Flacco bringing his "A' game, appear to be long shots. Flacco threw a horrible 98 yard pick six from the Broncos' 3 yard line in that previous loss, which proved to be the turning point of that game. The pressure is really on Joe. His performance in Denver will set the parameters regarding the number of zeroes on his new contract: PICK: Broncos;

2.) (12-5) Green Bay Packers (+3) @ (11-4-1) San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers are not the team that the Packers were hoping to see in this round. They have the pass rushers necessary to take advantage of the weaknesses on Green Bay's OL. They also have big, physical DBs to beat on the sleek Packer WRs. What would concern me if I were a Packers' fan is the recent difficulty that the Pack had in containing Adrian Peterson, and the Vikings' pass rush. Though Frank Gore is no AP, he's tough, and effective. To win this game, Green Bay must jump out to an early lead. If they're forced to play catch-up, it could get ugly: PICK: 49ers;

3.) (12-5) Seattle Seahawks (+2) @ (13-3) Atlanta Falcons: Tough game to predict, because of the unpredictability of the Atlanta Falcons. For the past couple of years, they've been world beaters in the regular season, and wimps in the play-offs. This is a huge game for Matt Ryan. If he hopes to retain the nick-name of Matty Ice, he must come up big in this one. Yet, as always when the play-offs come around, the Falcons have concerns. They are not running the ball well, as RB Michael Turner looks like he's spent. CB Dunta Robinson (concussion) and their sole pass-rusher, John Abraham (ankle), both went down in the final week of the season. Meanwhile, the Seahawks appear to be getting stronger, and gathering confidence each week. They have great balance on both sides of the ball, and appear to be the team to beat in the NFC: PICK: Seahawks;

4.) (13-4) Houston Texans (+9.5) @ (12-4) New England Patriots:  It's simple. Stop Arien Foster, and you stop the Houston Texans. Everything the Texans do on offense stems from their great RB. Look for the Texans to try to open up their offense a bit by throwing to their TEs, and to Foster, coming out of the backfield. But, make no mistake. Shutting down the Texans' running game is the key to beating them. On defense, the man to contain remains DE J.J. Watt, the best defender in the game. Watt is good enough that he alone can disrupt an offense.                                                                                                             

To win this game, the Patriots not be over confident. They must put aside the memories of that glorious 42-14 shellacking they gave the Texans early in December...and remember the 2010 season...when the 14-2, #1 seeded Patriots lost at home to the Jets, 28-21...a team they had crushed and humiliated just several weeks prior, 45-3. Though the Texans have not played as dominantly as they did early in the season, they are coming into Foxborough looking for revenge, respect, and redemption. The Pats must nip that quest in the bud immediately by starting fast, and jumping off to an early lead. Their offensive line must protect Tom Brady. This game will likely be decided by turnovers, and redzone defense. I look for the Patriots to win...but, win by 10 points or more?: PICK: Texans.

As always, your comments and predictions are welcome...particularly on the Pats' game.       

[/QUOTE]

Agree with all picks, except the Pats game.

They won't win by 28 again (too many bounces went their way last time), but 14 seems reasonable to me. The Texans are just not that good of a team; they were an eyelash away from being 9-7, while the Pats were an eyelash away from being 15-1.

The Texans' offense is just terrible in the Red Zone, whereas the Pats' D, while far from great, plays its best football in the Red Zone. Can't see the Texans scoring enough.

34-20, Pats.

[/QUOTE]

Hope you're right. Nothing (well...almost nothing) would please me more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmsphd43. Show jjmsphd43's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My picks:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Patriots fans, that is what I see happening. I think it will be a lot like the SF game. I think regardless of how they try to prepare the Patriots will come out slow thinking all they have to do is show up. The Pats did that against the 49ers after they beat up the Texans. They did it against Jacksonvile but that team is so untalented the Patriots were able to over come it.  They actually did not start out that great against the Dolphins (ran out of steam on the first drive and turned it over on downs and followed that with a 6 play 19 yard drive), but again the Dolphins were not a good enough team to take advantage of it.

The Houston game was the last time the Patriots started a game well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My picks:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Patriots fans, that is what I see happening. I think it will be a lot like the SF game. I think regardless of how they try to prepare the Patriots will come out slow thinking all they have to do is show up. The Pats did that against the 49ers after they beat up the Texans. They did it against Jacksonvile but that team is so untalented the Patriots were able to over come it.  They actually did not start out that great against the Dolphins (ran out of steam on the first drive and turned it over on downs and followed that with a 6 play 19 yard drive), but again the Dolphins were not a good enough team to take advantage of it.

[/QUOTE]

jj, just curious, please provide us a synopsis of the strengths and weaknesses of the Texans' O-Line and linebacking corps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Niners beat packers, Seahawks beat falcons

Patriots beat Texans, Broncos edge by Ravens

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My picks:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's hope that the team has a sense of urgency, as they should, for a playoff game. Look, if they can't beat the Texans on their home field, do they deserve a championship? As I've stated in other threads, on numerous occasions...it's time for this Patriots team to put up or shut up. They are as good or better than any of the teams remaining in the tournament. They need to go out there and get it done...NO EXCUSES!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My picks:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Tex, name a team who does not bring their "A" game and win in the playoffs??  Come on, that statement is ridiculous to make!  Every team brings it up a notch!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

My picks:

[/QUOTE] jjms..  stirring the pot I see.  You really believe the Pats are ripe to stumble in this game? You are entitled to that thought, we shall see and I hope you are wrong, which based on how the Texans played against the Bengals, the Pats will really have to stumble badly!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I'm still trying to figure out how a 6 point win over the Bengals means the Texans are 'back'.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My picks:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Tex, name a team who does not bring their "A" game and win in the playoffs??  Come on, that statement is ridiculous to make!  Every team brings it up a notch!

How is it a ridiculous statement, when by your own admission, it's a true statement? Furthermore, I was merely responding to another post, and not trying to make some profound, general statement. Geez!

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm still trying to figure out how a 6 point win over the Bengals means the Texans are 'back'.

[/QUOTE]

The Bengals had won 7 of 8 games, going into that game with Houston. Cincy has a tough defense...and the Texan OL pretty much dominated them. Any playoff win is a good win. It's all about survival. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

When it comes down to one game I go with one player. If I got one game and I got Brady, Manning, Rodger, and Wilson in a game I am going with them. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

The Houston media is still sifting through the rubble of the Dec. 10th blowout loss to the Patriots...42-14, in Foxborough. They point out five (5) plays that, if they had gone the other way, or never happened, would have turned the game. But, isn't this the case with nearly every game...where a few big plays decide a game?

Still, it's a pretty good article, which also maps out what the Texans must do, in order to win: http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/01/patriots%e2%80%99-rout-of-texans-turned-on-five-plays/  

[/QUOTE]

A case could be made that had those plays never happened, the game is closer....not sure that it would have changed the outcome...Typically blowouts occur due to turnovers in the red zone that the other team parlays into points. or when you turn it over on your side of the 50 giving them a short field. add a couple of big plays or turnovers in the kicking game. You have a good old fashion azz whoppin'.