NFL executive believes with Haynesworth and Ochocinco....One or both will be cut

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Re: NFL executive believes with Haynesworth and Ochocinco....One or both will be cut

Both players are excited to be in New England.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Re: NFL executive believes with Haynesworth and Ochocinco....One or both will be cut

I don't see how this is news? This is simply the media attacking the Pats with a story to create a distraction after a very promising opening pre-season game.

It has been known since they acquired these guys that they could be cut. I can assure you though that BB will never cut a guy performing at a level he requires. If Big Al and Ocho perform, their jobs will be safe.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

The reason that Haynesworth is not practicing is simple.  The Patriots were running out of offensive linesmen.  Keeping Haynesworth on the sidelines will save injuries.  He will be ready to play in the season opener.  Chad is a different story.  Great player that may not stick.  It would not be surprising to see him traded or cut if he keeps dropping passes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: NFL executive believes with Haynesworth and Ochocinco....One or both will be cut:
    [QUOTE]Could the first couple of posts use a biger fopnt size, please for the old f**ts in the crowd THANK YOU!!!!
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

LOLLaughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Quite a few questions this morning on Twitter regarding Dan Pompei's "Sunday Blitz" piece on the National Football Post website. 

Pompei, a highly respected NFL reporter, has a "Things I Didn't Used to Know" section in his weekly column, and this part caught the eye of some Patriots followers: "Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth might not be long for New England ... one NFL executive familiar with the Patriots' ways told me he believes one or both of the big name acquisitions will be cut before the season starts. The front office man thinks coach Bill Belichick will use the controversial players to help control and send a message to his locker room." 

On Twitter, @swirley0812 responds, "Heard an interesting theory on 85 & Big Al acquisitions. Sum ppl believe 1 or both will b cut b4 season 2 send message. Thoughts?" 

This was echoed by several others. 

My thoughts are that Pompei is simply passing along what one person believes. He is not reporting that it will happen. 

That is an important distinction to make. 

As for my opinion on the topic, I think Ochocinco will be here. It would surprise me to see the team hand over a $4.5 million signing bonus and then turn around and cut him before he plays a regular-season game with them. 

I also think Haynesworth will be here. His situation is a bit different from a financial perspective, as he didn't receive any up-front money, so the team could cut him tomorrow with little ramifications. But by all accounts, Bill Belichick has been pleased with Haynesworth's approach. 

That could always turn, but at this point, I'd be surprised if Haynesworth is not on the opening-day roster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: NFL executive believes with Haynesworth and Ochocinco....One or both will be cut:
    [QUOTE]Talking Ochocinco & Haynesworth By Mike Reiss (ESPN Boston) 8/14 Quite a few questions this morning on Twitter regarding Dan Pompei's " Sunday Blitz " piece on the National Football Post website.  Pompei, a highly respected NFL reporter, has a "Things I Didn't Used to Know" section in his weekly column, and this part caught the eye of some Patriots followers:  "Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth might not be long for New England ... one NFL executive familiar with the Patriots' ways told me he believes one or both of the big name acquisitions will be cut before the season starts. The front office man thinks coach Bill Belichick will use the controversial players to help control and send a message to his locker room."   On Twitter,  @swirley0812  responds, "Heard an interesting theory on 85 & Big Al acquisitions. Sum ppl believe 1 or both will b cut b4 season 2 send message. Thoughts?"  This was echoed by several others.  My thoughts are that Pompei is simply passing along what one person believes. He is not reporting that it will happen.  That is an important distinction to make.  As for my opinion on the topic, I think Ochocinco will be here. It would surprise me to see the team hand over a $4.5 million signing bonus and then turn around and cut him before he plays a regular-season game with them.  I also think Haynesworth will be here. His situation is a bit different from a financial perspective, as he didn't receive any up-front money, so the team could cut him tomorrow with little ramifications. But by all accounts, Bill Belichick has been pleased with Haynesworth's approach.  That could always turn, but at this point, I'd be surprised if Haynesworth is not on the opening-day roster.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, Rocky...

Two things about the original article by Pompei:

1) I doubt BB would waste a 5th rounder and two 6th rounders just to send a message.

2) At this point, I doubt BB has to send such a significant message to a team that went 14-2 last year and is returning all 22 starters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Just more NY media hogwash.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

This is purely psychological warfare. PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF THIS PATRIOTS TEAM!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Both players are excited to be in New England.
    Posted by FLY2K[/QUOTE]

that may be the most important thing here. they both know they are very good players. i am sure that each of them has an aspiration to be in a sb team. i am guessing that each will think this is an opportunity to get there, that they may never have again in their careers. those two will work hard to help this team win the sb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Haynesworth release hard to envision

Albert Haynewsorth

A rumor circulated Sunday that the Patriots could cut Chad Ochocinco or Albert Haynesworth. It was just the opinion of one non-Patriots executive, but the idea unsurprisingly caught fire in the Boston area.

Florio pointed out that cutting Ochocinco would be hard to imagine because of the financial implications.

Getting rid of Haynesworth would be easy financially, but there’s just not much reason yet to believe it will happen.

“He’s very unlike what a lot of you read about,” defensive line coach Pepper Johnson said about Haynesworth in comments distributed by the team. “Albert is a great guy. . . . I think Albert is a great person. He’s been trying to work his way out on the field, and he’s been tremendous in the classroom [to] date. I’m expecting a lot from him.”
    Johnson further said he thinks Haynesworth is “excited” to be in town and is “one of the best defensive lineman” in the league.  These words echo everything Bill Belichick has said to this point, and Tom Brady hadsimilar glowing comments Monday morning.
    The biggest problem for Haynesworth is that he hasn’t been on the field enough.  If he stays on the sideline for three more weeks, that could be a problem.
    Otherwise, there just isn’t much reason to believe Haynesworth will get booted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Haynesworth release hard to envision

Albert Haynewsorth

A rumor circulated Sunday that the Patriots could cut Chad Ochocinco or Albert Haynesworth. It was just the opinion of one non-Patriots executive, but the idea unsurprisingly caught fire in the Boston area.

Florio pointed out that cutting Ochocinco would be hard to imagine because of the financial implications.

Getting rid of Haynesworth would be easy financially, but there’s just not much reason yet to believe it will happen.

“He’s very unlike what a lot of you read about,” defensive line coach Pepper Johnson said about Haynesworth in comments distributed by the team. “Albert is a great guy. . . . I think Albert is a great person. He’s been trying to work his way out on the field, and he’s been tremendous in the classroom [to] date. I’m expecting a lot from him.”
    Johnson further said he thinks Haynesworth is “excited” to be in town and is “one of the best defensive lineman” in the league.  These words echo everything Bill Belichick has said to this point, and Tom Brady hadsimilar glowing comments Monday morning.
    The biggest problem for Haynesworth is that he hasn’t been on the field enough.  If he stays on the sideline for three more weeks, that could be a problem.
    Otherwise, there just isn’t much reason to believe Haynesworth will get booted.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I belive another article touched on that a big name would be cut, and everyone just automatically started looking at Haynesworth and Ocho.  Ocho is coming along slowly, but he's coming along and the Pats dropped a fairly large amount of guaranteed money on him, so I don't see that.

As for Haynesworth, he's being babied plain and simple.  He hurt himself and the staff felt it would be best to take him along slow as he is worth a whole lot more during the season than the preseason.  I don't like that he's not at least out there during practice, but I'm sure the powers that be have their reasons.

If a big name would be cut, it might be Merriweather.  Although he's made it to the Probowl, he snuck in (let's be honest) and has yet to live up to his potential.  I still like the guy and have hopes for him, but if had to choose a big name possibility, that might be it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In a world with too many "journalists" (and I don't think I could possibly use that term more loosely than I do here) and not enough stories, people need stuff to talk about. It's been mentioned several times in the thread that this was nothing more than a "Look at Me!" story, but beyond that, it gets picked up and people run with it and the next thing you know it's all over talk radio and people are swallowing it whole.

Did any of you guys ever hear the story of The Brave Little Tailor when you were a kid . . . 

or Chicken Little?

The thing is, with so much airtime and column inches to fill, you simply can't keep reporting that New England (or Philadelphia or Green Bay or whomever) is an irresistible juggernaut and that the rest of the league is certifiably doomed.

People won't log on or tune in to hear that.

So you make stuff up to keep it interesting, and attribute it to "sources." Andif you really want people to believe you, you attribute it to "knowledgeable sources." And if you really, really (truly) want people to believe you even more than that, you do what this assjack did, and you invent some mysterious "executive" who is "familiar with the "Pats ways," whatever that might mean.

And this is what we call "journalism" today.

Isn't it fun?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA-PATSFAN. Show CA-PATSFAN's posts

[QUOTE]And we let Ty Warren go why..?
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    Understand his recovery from injury was not progressing as hoped

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Pompei should be ashamed of himself for publishing such speculative junk. Total fail on his part. Amazed there are 91 posts here and counting over this ridiculous and irrelevant article, what a lazy pathetic piece of "journalism." Makes even Tomase look good. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I also speculated on this last week and questioned if the players, not BB were already getting sick of Chads act. He is not a good enough player any more to put up with his schtick.
    Just to clarify, Chad is on the books at a salary this year of $1 million and a pro rated bonus of $1.5 million which is prorated over 3 years ($4.5 mil bonus spread out over 3 years). If the Pats were to cut bait on Chad, they w/b on the hook for the $4.5, but not the $1.0. Of course if he is traded, as was Moss, the Pats are on the hook for nothing.
    Albert is on the books for $1.5 mil this year with zero bonus, so if cut the Pats are on the hook for zero.
    I don't think BB has to send a team message. He is sending a message to each individual player that no one is bigger than the team and producing on the field and staying out of trouble off of the field is what will keep you on the team.