NFL May Ban Three-Point Stance for Safety

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

NFL May Ban Three-Point Stance for Safety

Just saw this article on Sports Illustrated. Goodell is thinking about banning the stance in order to reduce concussions. Here's the article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/super-bowl/02/07/goodell.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

What do you all think about this? Personally, I think it's just hurting the defense even more. Players aren't going to be able to get the kind of pass rush they usually do, and QBs are going to be able to pick defenses apart more than ever. I can understand the safety concern, but soon the defense isn't going to be able to stop anyone. Games are going to run into the 40's and 50's non-stop. I know that's what the NFL wants, but is that what real football fans want? I'm beginning to think rugby fans might be on to something when they say rugby is tougher than football...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Re: NFL May Ban Three-Point Stance for Safety

Maybe he should just end football for safety reasons. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Here this out ALL:

Concussions for Offensive and Defensivelinemen hitting each other at the point of contact, when the whistle blows at the Line of Scrimmage is nearly a ZERO Issue.  High hits, Head hits in the running open field to smaller players like WRs and RBs getting drilled usually by bigger guys who who launch, or even bigger and faster guys with running momentum, Accounts for the insanely vast majority of concussions.

SO WHAT'S GOING ON?

For Offensivelineman, It's so much about the leverage of getting decent pad, hand and body contact in order to block and hold off a Defensivelineman...  For Defensivelineman, It's all about the speed to penetrate quickly for DTs, and the same speed to do all these vast different types of rush moves for DEs, In order so that they can stay simply 1 fraction of a second ahead of the O-Lineman's intent of putting their hands and body on the D-lineman to corral them and keep them from any and all ball-carriers.

SO WHY IS GOODELL DOING THIS?

Higher Scores and Higher Revenue...that's all.  Read what you want into The Saints and namely, The Colts and their high-powered offenses...  ALSO, Read what you want into Roger Goodell (as was stated in the article)-ALREADY meeting with The Competition Committee's Co-Chair...  Since We ALL know what Team's Owner also sits on this small, select group, So make ZERO mistake...the end of the 3-point stance is a done deal.

~Now, I Kinda hope there's a lockout next year, so the players can set certain things right again... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

"The secondary has enough strikes against them.  We don't need to neuter them further."

Yeah, this superbowl was basicallly all passing and the teams picked each other apart. Could you imagine how it would be if the defenses couldn't get that extra push off the three point? The league really needs to rethink this decision. I know scoring brings extra revenue, but please, for the sake of the game, let the defense play!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I figured I'd bring this back up to the top since it got lost in the super bowl shuffle. Anyone else have any thoughts?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Is that when most concussions occur? When two players 1 yard away from each other engage each other? 

Call me crazy, but I would think most of them happen when one or both of the individuals has had some time to gather speed before the hit which makes for a far more violent collision from a force perspective. This generally happens with DBs meeting wide receivers or running backs.

Whatever happened to that guy who used to be on here who was promoting the different mouthguard that protected the jaw and limited jaw movement? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

"Call me crazy, but I would think most of them happen when one or both of the individuals has had some time to gather speed before the hit which makes for a far more violent collision from a force perspective."

You'd think so. How often do concussions occur in sumo wrestling? It's basically the same thing. I can't imagine it'd be too many. The league is getting absolutely ridiculous right now.

Can you imagine the offense having the ball on the opposing one yard line, and the defensive line can't get in that stance?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

This smells of another attempt to increase offense. The NFL wants all games to be 40-50 scores because they're more exciting to know nothing casual fans. If they could figure out a way to do it they'd probably do away with the safety or corner blitzes all together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

SHENANIGANS!

I echo the sentiment that guys colliding from 18 inches apart is not the problem.

If I had to guess, I would bet that most concussions occur not from guys getting hit in the head, but from players' heads (particularly quarterbacks) hitting the ground.

For reasons I don't really understand, the Goodell administration appears intent upon eliminating defense entirely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

It's funny, because what were the most exciting plays in the superbowl? The onside kick and the interception. That's special teams and defense, not offense. The NFL needs a new commish...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Terrible Idea!  They have already taken enough away from the defense as it is.  Don't take away the leverage they need to get around a Offensive Lineman.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

nothing but another 'bait & switch' . . . sounds like a Barrack initiative . . . this will be pushed in the name of safety when the real push is to further assist the passing game and generate more exciting offense

That isn't what bait and switch means.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatssoxVA. Show PatssoxVA's posts

If I wanted to watch 40 - 50 point games, I'd watch the Arena League.
    If the owners keep messing with the product, they will eventually lose their followers. TV revenue aside, butts in the seats pay the bills.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Roger better be careful between these stupid ideas and a possible lockout he might be the guy who gets the label of the Man who killed the NFL.

Is Pete Rozzel available?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The players will play Madden to instead of actual games to prevent injuries.

Does anyone know if there are any players on the competition committee?  If not, why not?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

In Response to Re: NFL May Ban Three-Point Stance for Safety:
    [QUOTE]Here this out ALL: Concussions for Offensive and Defensivelinemen hitting each other at the point of contact, when the whistle blows at the Line of Scrimmage is nearly a ZERO Issue. 

Your right about a full concussion.
    Here is a quote from the recent Time magazine front page article.. "some scientists now fear that the thousands of lower-impact, or "subconcussive," blows these players receive, even if they don't result in documented concussions, can be just as damaging as — if not more so than — the dramatic head injuries that tend to receive more attention and intensive treatment."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

hmmm I wonder which team this would most benefit. Surely it would benefit the same type of team that benefited from changed rules on how to defend a WR.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Your right about a full concussion.
    Here is a quote from the recent Time magazine front page article.. '
    some scientists now fear that the thousands of lower-impact, or "subconcussive," blows these players receive, even if they don't result in documented concussions, can be just as damaging as — if not more so than — the dramatic head injuries that tend to receive more attention and intensive treatment.'"

Gamechanger
    , Considering that the NFL has been around for at least a few years, I'm curious-Did the article offer any examples of actual human beings manning the Offensive and Defensive Lines for years on teams In prior decades WHO are now suffering debilitating long-term head trauma...?  OR...Is it the far MORE serious and important, 1 journalists research regarding the "recent fears" of "some scientists"? 

Since, I mean-To me at least, those theories & concerns of a few scientists scare me way more than if there was actual proof in reality, ya know?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Might as well change the NFL to the NFFL (National Flag Football League). Lets make it flag football next!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

In Response to Re: NFL May Ban Three-Point Stance for Safety:
    " Your right about a full concussion. Here is a quote from the recent Time magazine front page article.. ' some scientists now fear that the thousands of lower-impact, or "subconcussive," blows these players receive, even if they don't result in documented concussions, can be just as damaging as — if not more so than — the dramatic head injuries that tend to receive more attention and intensive treatment .'" Gamechanger , Considering that the NFL has been around for at least a few years, I'm curious- Did the article offer any examples of actual human beings manning the Offensive and Defensive Lines for years on teams In prior decades WHO are now suffering debilitating long-term head trauma...?   OR...Is it the far MORE serious and important, 1 journalists research regarding the " recent fears " of " some scientists "?  Since, I mean-To me at least, those theories & concerns of a few scientists scare me way more than if there was actual proof in reality, ya know?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Yes. There is a video on the website (near the start of the article)"Your brain on football" it talks in particular about a nine year NFL lineman that died at 45 after a drug OD. I know, what has that got to do with head injuries? Easier for you to watch the video then for me to write it out here. There is a Doctor studying the brains of ex-NFLers, so far all 12 brains have had an excessive build up of a protein that blocks the functions of the brain. A boxers brain is shown and its even more densely effected. I really feel like this is going to dramatically effect the NFL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Yes. There is a video on the website (near the start of the article)"Your brain on football" it talks in particular about a nine year NFL lineman that died at 45 after a drug OD. I know, what has that got to do with head injuries? Easier for you to watch the video then for me to write it out here. There is a Doctor studying the brains of ex-NFLers, so far all 12 brains have had an excessive build up of a protein that blocks the functions of the brain."

~I'm just assuming here...Did the ex-NFL lineman that OD'd-Have perhaps excessive headaches, perhaps massive trouble concentrating and focusing, AND so perhaps either turned to illicit drug use to relieve the pain and/or was prescribed a highly addictive pharmaceutical by a doctor in order to alleviate the pain and/or The ex-NFL lineman became highly depressed due to brain-wave functioning and/or endorphine blockages in his brain, And...(well, see the drug use part).

~LOOK gamechanger, I dig the concern you have for your child.  No, I'll try it this way... Some long dead libertarian (Francis Bacon?) once said something akin to, "Government is best when it governs least."  Now, I had always taken that idea singularly, simply within a political conotation.  YET, the more I think of the phrase, The more I believe that "ANY governing body is best when it governs least."  And I know, I know...A governing body would be remiss, even at fault-IF it did not look after the basic wellfare and the basic safety of its members, right?  BUT, At What Cost? 

Would it be far better for the basic wellfare of US citizens to have certain private organizations watching over just your average person(s), and neighbors spying on neighbors, and government funded watch groups at our universities, AND ALL of them reporting their findings to governmental intelligence agencies-SIMPLY so The United States might, maybe, perhaps, Better their chances of finding the next terrorrist with gunpowder in his loafers?

Look, gamechanger-I'm well aware that The NFL isn't the "real world"...  So instead of thinking, "At what price does the governing body encroach on Liberty," Think rather, "At what price does the governing body encroach on the nature of the sport."  And It IS a sport...just a game.  So consider this: I don't have ANY of the monetary nor even practical means to go live somewhere else...to go if I wanted, to some magic utopian ideal nation that I trully believed, better upheld liberty.  BUT on the contrary, Most NFL players have the luxury of doing many things in order to still support themselves, And ALL could find a job doing something,  It's the players choice to be in the NFL, and they could easily leave anytime at all, And they're paid substantially more for a few games than I'll ever see, AND some might even like being NFL athletes

~SEE, In the End-IF you conclude that "Potential Safety" is the trumping factor, at the very least-PLEASE Address the convenient notion regarding not just NFL Commissioner Bill Polian's main A#1 concern...Revenue.  BUT NAMELY that... 

<>It's just oddly strange how, Just Now As The NFL higher-ups have recently seen how higher-scoring games leads to more MONEY (i.e. more fans, particularly international audiences and non-"diehard" football fans watching the sport)...particularly right after the the most watched SB that happened to have the leagues #1 and #2 Offenses in it. 

<>It's just oddly strange how, Such a pinpoint specific rule of outlawing a D-Lineman's 3-point stance (rather than figuring out something which would curtail open-field hits, Hits causing greater damage...whether it be a new different rule or a type of improved gear IS NOT the point in fact), How outlawing the 3-point stance instead WOULD in fact-Greatly help the offensive team. 

<>It's just oddly strange that Bill Polian would talk with The Competition Committee before any NFL Safety Committees, The Competition Committee btw-which has more to do with rule-changes, but the committe ALSO has to do with increasing the popularity of the sport too. 

<>And It's just oddly strange HOW such a rule-change would benefit certain Team's that are built for this passing, high-powered Offenses, and that these Team's Owners or Coaches happen to be members on this small select Competition Committee.