NFL quiet so far on Harrison helmet hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

NFL quiet so far on Harrison helmet hit

One would have thought a statement would have been released by now. On ESPN you'd think it never happened. Not only was it a deliberate head butt but it was from behind after the ball was released. Wasn't this supposed to be what the NFL and media was angry about?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trident13. Show trident13's posts

Re: NFL quiet so far on Harrison helmet hit

do u have a link to the hit?  didnt see it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: NFL quiet so far on Harrison helmet hit:
    [QUOTE]do u have a link to the hit?  didnt see it.
    Posted by trident13[/QUOTE]

interestingly enough the game highlights have been removed from NFL.com

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

If they fine him, the Steelers will go insane. I doubt the NFL even mentions it...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]If they fine him, the Steelers will go insane. I doubt the NFL even mentions it...
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

If they don't then they're the biggest hypocrites in sports. It also stinks of favoritism. What do you think would be going on if it was the pats and merriweather hit him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

The nfl did not want to see Harrison cry like a baby and threaten to retire again. I guess Pitt is replacing the Colts as the leagues favoritism team. 1st Rapesfurrburger and now Grownmancry Gate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

Her`s the youtube link. He hits Brees in the back and if you notice,the first thing that hits Brees is his helmet.But like apd said,the NFL won`t say anything about it.Don`t want to tick off the NFL`s "Darlings.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAhilHh_aCw

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

i think they should suspended him for two games!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Well don't they wait until the last game is played -which was just last nite before they start handing out fines.. It's only been one day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Was there a flag on that play?

It may also be that the league does not want to make its officials look any more retarded than they already do by handing out fines and suspensions on plays that do not draw flags. With all the brouhaha over "devastating hits" and the way "leading with the helmet" seems to suddenly be the new pet phrase, I would think a guy like Harrison would be front-and-center under the microscope.

More likely it was just a lot of loud noise designed to pay a little lip service to player safety, and we're going back to business as usual until somebody takes a run at a Manning.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Evil and ALL:

Disagreed with the helmet-helmet call...  I know that's inviting certain wrath by my fellow Patriot Fans here, but I guess I'll be in the minority.  Even though James Harrison imho, IS the absolute best, smartest, and hard-hitting OLBs in the league (He makes up for Dallas's Demarcus Ware's superior pass-rushing repoitore imho w/ his insane, always crazy number of forced fumbles, harder hitting, and just a bit better pass-coverage as a 3-4 OLB), YET I honestly try to see it & call it like it is. 
         Penalize him (in this now p#ssy league, for a late hit, or roughing the passer), but jesus-IF you can't hit the guy in the back of his shoulder pads coming off the blind-side edge...idk-  I mean, as of next week, you probably WON'T be able to do that lol, but as it stands now, What was ONCE (2 years ago), a blind-side pass-rush that got to the oppossing QB an 1/8th of a second too late, SHOULD "only" be a 15 yard 1st down (and "only maybe a 25!,000 fine)...it's total bs. 
         Harrison WON'T tune it down, and he f'n SHOULDN'T!  Good for him, IF I'm Harrison, and I got the skill, & money ta burn, I'd say: "Take half my yearly salary, and ki## my rear as I'll do anything & everything in my power to help my team Win."

~
    Btw, We shouldn't be talkin' about garbage stuff like this...We SHOULD be discussing the odd reasons why our nice NFL Commish does NOT do things like: #1 Demand NFL Players where that concussion limiting football helmet (designed a FEW years ago!); #2 Demand NFL Players where that "jaw-moving" mouth guard which has a greater effect to move the hit player's jaw, and limit the affects of harder hits (NE, in fact, wears these mouthguards to EVERY single man-only team that does); #3 Demand a more stringent league substance policy for all the newer (and "untestable" as they say) muscle enhancing hormones developed by science in the past 10-15 years exponentially increasing these guys: speed, muscle, and ala hitting abilities 10 fold in NO time at all;
         Roger Goodell could do ALL or ANY number of these things (and that's merely a small & obvious number of things that make far more sense)...instead though, He's affecting the Defensivve Players play to hit ANYwhere, affecting the play of the secondary (under the guise that eligible receivers were getting "mauled" and hurt), AND he's discussed outlawing a D-Lineman being in a 3-point stance because of possible "long-term" concussive/head injuries on O-Lineman...

~The simple REALITY is complete & total GARBAAaage...These are Offense benefitting rules, WHICH-At the very, very best-Is to affect Greater viewership ratings for those non-football fans=Higher scores=More excitement & action (unfortunately to the detriment of us REAL NFL Fans)...YET, at the terrifying WORST_It scares me to believe that Goodell & his cronies on The Competition Committee, are doing this for another purpose: Changing the very fabric of the NFL in order to help out THEIR own Heavily Offense oriented franchises & teams...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Was there a flag on that play? It may also be that the league does not want to make its officials look any more retarded than they already do by hanind out fines and suspensions on plays that do not draw flags. With all the brouhaha over "devastating hits" and the way "leading with the helmet" seems to suddenly be the new pet phrase, I would think a guy like Harrison would be front-and-center under the microscope. More likely it was just a lot of loud noise designed to pay a little lip service to player safety, and we're going back to business as usual until somebody takes a run at a Manning.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Yes, there was a flag on the play and Collinsworth even said Harrison can expect another fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

laz, you think that he hit with his shoulder? look at djb's youtube link. he tucked his chin in. definitely it was helmet first. and he did not really lower his body to hit the torso.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

seattle~

So alright, Under your suggesstion-I took a lengthier look at the play, and this is what I saw:

Harrison hit Brees, NOT on the back of Brees helmet NOR even on the back of Brees neck...YET (and this imho, is where Harrison's hit is such a tough call in terms of the "degree" of illegality on his hit)

From the back view (the first part of the offered video): One can see just how much Harrison DID indeed lead with his helmet, upon making the hit (the hit, which imo again, landed ON Brees shoulder pads, not head or neck)....AND (and this ain't a good bodding for Harrison), when watching that side view (again-1st part of the replay), Harrison doesn't even attempt to swipe at the ball (even though it's released by then), But still-IF Harrison wanted to make it a play on the ball (i.e. called: normal & fair defensive football), Harrison coulda perhaps swung an arm around attempting to make a swipe...INSTEAD he just led with his helmet with Harrison's hands initially at his own midesction...

NOW....

From the front view (second replay-frontal view of Drew Brees):  See seattle, Upon watching THIS take and weighin' it against take (replay 1) #1, I CAN see an issue...  WHY?  Because it is only after seeing Replay #2 from the front angle of Drew Brees, that imo, one sees who trully "late" this hit really was...  Far, far too much time for James Harrison to let up (let alone, again-AND/OR taken in consideration with Harrison ALSO not just failing to make an attempt on the ball, but yes-Leading late 100% with his helmet).

~STILL seattle, I HATE this slow-mo non-game speed every angle garbage, and I HATE how this game is being altered and affected in terms of it's actual play, rather than CORRECTED in terms of safer parameters placed on equipment, training, coverage reading, substance testing.  Look, I understand a healthy dose of both, in terms of a well-rounded medium of not an overexcess of total game changing aspects, and NOT an over excess of of schematic, equipment, substance, etc., etc., Altering Stipulations...BUT as of now, It IS entirely 110% Game (and TOTALLY DEFENSIVELY Limitating)-changing factors brought to bear

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whoremaster. Show whoremaster's posts

This is a game, soon you will have to live your life.Ask yourself how does this help me day to day watch it all .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It was a late hit, not helmet-to-helmet. It's football, Brees will live. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Lazurus:  you make great points!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

They fined him....  Hey at least they didn't suspend him.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Um, wasn't that the rule?  Or, does he have to do it again since the rule has now been adjusted after Week 6?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

They said they'd immediately start suspending players for such hits, even first time offenders. Harrison has a HISTORY of doing this stuff and all they do is fine him. On the other hand, even when they DO fine people their interpretatioin of the rule is weak: see Myron Pryor.

If anyone should be getting suspended it's Harrison but again, the league won't do that to Shittsburgh

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

So, it is retroactive through this season?

So, where is the 1 game suspension?

I love his agent says "they had a good meeting with Goodell and each grew and learned from it".

What planet are we on here? There is no negotiating the rule.  The rule is what he says it is.

WITF?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Boy, I would have loved Belichick meeting with Goodel post-Spygate to "grow and learn from it." Instead, we got a record-breaking fine and punishment...

bullsh!t

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I am assuming the suspension is to follow.  Again, key word there is "assume".

If this guy does not suspend after the stink he made followed by a new rule mid season, his credibility is simply shot.  Not that it already wasn't.