NFL Referees are a it again....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

NFL Referees are at it again....

another week of NFL games, another egregious error. If Shanahan is being truthful below, these Refs need to be held accountable. These weekly fiascos are an embarrassment to the NFL.

Confusion over down at end of Giants-Redskins game

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) — Referee Jeff Triplette acknowledged the down marker was moved incorrectly on the Washington Redskins’ last possession of a 24-17 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday night, but said halting play to fix the mistake ‘‘would have given an unfair advantage.’’

On second-and-5 from his own 41 coming out of the two-minute warning, Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III completed a pass to Pierre Garcon. The play gained 4 yards, making it third-and-1, but the down marker was shifted, indicating there was a first down.

Washington coach Mike Shanahan said after the game that he asked an official to measure to see whether that play had earned a first down — but was told that wasn’t necessary.

After an incomplete pass, the announcement was made that it was fourth-and-1 and not, as the Redskins believed, second-and-10.

‘‘The chain said first down, and then when we came back, we think it’s second-and-10, and they’re yelling out it’s fourth down. No explanation. No measurement. Didn’t stop the clock to allow the chains to move back,’’ Griffin said. ‘‘And we just had to go ahead and call the play.’’

Both Shanahan and Griffin said the confusion over the proper down might have affected the play choice on fourth-and-1. But Griffin did complete a 6-yard pass to Garcon there — which would have been enough to extend the drive — before safety Will Hill stripped the ball away after the catch and ran the other way. The Giants ran out the clock.

‘‘I told him I wanted a measurement, because I knew it was close. It was inches. And he said, ‘No, it’s a first down.’ And he moved the chains,’’ Shanahan said. ‘‘And then after I saw it was fourth down, I asked him, ‘You already told me it was first down.’ He didn’t say anything. So that was quite disappointing.’’

Speaking to a pool reporter, Triplette said: ‘‘We signaled third down on the field. The stakes were moved incorrectly. After that play, we said it was still third down. We had signaled third down prior to the play starting. The stakes just got moved incorrectly.’’

The game was inside the final two minutes, and the Redskins were out of timeouts.

‘‘We just didn’t shut it down in that situation, because that would have given an unfair advantage,’’ Triplette said.

Asked about the odd sequence, Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said: ‘‘I saw that, and I was like, ‘That ain’t a first down,’ but they put a first down on the sticks. I was trying to signal to (Giants coach Tom) Coughlin, ‘You might want to challenge that,’ but the play was going fast there. ... Lucky for us, they corrected their mistake.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2013/12/02/confusion-over-down-end-giants-redskins-game/yFm60jyn1m8XiN8ckrDfPN/story.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: NFL Referees are a it again....

Hardly think the league cares, Giants and Washington Football team are crap anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Horrible. Refs heads need to roll. NFL has to put a stop to these shoddy calls/non calls. Blatant incompetence.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The officiating does seem pretty horrible this year. And they have a bozo on one of the networks to rubber stamp their bad calls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Al Michaels absolutely called this out last night.  So did Collinsworth.  Michaels was livid and could not hide his frustration on national TV.  One of the officials was signaling first down on camera; after the game, the refs claimed that no one had signaled first down.

It was a ridiculous call, explanation, and muff job.  Doesn't even matter if the teams aren't that good.  If two 0-15 teams were battling it out for the pride of one victory, I would look at this the same way. 

In a league given to fining everyone these days, the refs are not accountable? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Anything to keep NYC teams in the hunt.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Al Michaels absolutely called this out last night.  So did Collinsworth.  Michaels was livid and could not hide his frustration on national TV.  One of the officials was signaling first down on camera; after the game, the refs claimed that no one had signaled first down.

It was a ridiculous call, explanation, and muff job.  Doesn't even matter if the teams aren't that good.  If two 0-15 teams were battling it out for the pride of one victory, I would look at this the same way. 

In a league given to fining everyone these days, the refs are not accountable? 

[/QUOTE]

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hardly think the league cares, Giants and Washington Football team are crap anyway.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

That was absolutely disgusting. To me it actually looked like it was a 1st down as the receiver's foot was behind the 1st down marker. The refs should've called for a measurement if they thought it was not a 1st down. It was a matter of inches. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That was absolutely disgusting. To me it actually looked like it was a 1st down as the receiver's foot was behind the 1st down marker. The refs should've called for a measurement if they thought it was not a 1st down. It was a matter of inches. 

[/QUOTE]

NY was going to challenge the spot if it had been a 1st down.  They couldn't get the call in, either.  Guys came off the field telling Coughlin to challenge, b/c they saw the down marker change to 1st down.   What's the old Sherlock Holmes quote?  

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

Is the officiating tainted, or isn't it?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Refs make mistakes They did make a mistake last night but they didn't make a mistake on Brady's interception in the endzone to end the game. Brady said it himself.
    "It wasn't a great throw. No excuses," Brady said,  "It should have been a better throw."

So I hope everybody understands that his feet weren't set and he threw up a duck. Way short and to the wrong colored jersey.

[/QUOTE]

but it was still PI - how TB thre the ball does not matter - Gronk was sealed off the play

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

the NFL has a lot of problems and the REFs are one of them - thye stink for everyone and they got a raise

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Refs make mistakes They did make a mistake last night but they didn't make a mistake on Brady's interception in the endzone to end the game. Brady said it himself.
    "It wasn't a great throw. No excuses," Brady said,  "It should have been a better throw."

So I hope everybody understands that his feet weren't set and he threw up a duck. Way short and to the wrong colored jersey.

[/QUOTE]

Yup... There were no officiating mistakes that led to the Jets losing 7 games thus far.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

More crying about the refs.  Why no crying for the lack of penalty on the Pats yesterday.  Another week, another mugging.  How about those drops by Houston?  Looks like the Pats were lucky to get away alive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SandyRowBelfast. Show SandyRowBelfast's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

More crying about the refs.  Why no crying for the lack of penalty on the Pats yesterday.  Another week, another mugging.  How about those drops by Houston?  Looks like the Pats were lucky to get away alive.

[/QUOTE]

And i do believe the Pats went flagless the whole game. How does that happen?! NOT ONE FLAG!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to SandyRowBelfast's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And i do believe the Pats went flagless the whole game. How does that happen?! NOT ONE FLAG!

[/QUOTE]

NFL conspiracy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The Texans had 2 penalties that game.  It's not like the refs were calling anything the entire game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SandyRowBelfast. Show SandyRowBelfast's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Texans had 2 penalties that game.  It's not like the refs were calling anything the entire game.

[/QUOTE]

PATS fans can NEVER EVER say that the refs/NFL are agianst them. It's almost inpossible not to have 1 flag. Theres holding on every play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PATS fans can NEVER EVER say that the refs/NFL are agianst them. It's almost inpossible not to have 1 flag. Theres holding on every play.

[/QUOTE]

So that means the refs weren't calling holding penalties on the Texans either.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

that was a horribly bungled call and Redskins fans should be livid today, I would be. 

That said theirs is a lost season but still, that was incompetence. 

"PATS fans can NEVER EVER say that the refs/NFL are agianst them."

Well the officials did decide two games against us this year. 

Including a loss to the Jets on a call that to my knowledge has not only never been called before that play but never called again. 

No other team in the league has had two game deciding calls go against them this season that I know of - others have had one. 

Doesn't bother me, good teams like the Pats can overcome human error. 

But surely you dont' want officiating incompetence in the league? 

I would not have wanted to beat the Jets if the situation were reversed. I don't want to win on a cheap call. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ONLY if yiou get caught.

The problem is when you go from a crew that basically "let's 'em play" to a crew that flags everyone for uniforms not tucked in. Same for MLB. Yesterday, the Pats and Texans were allowed to play. Both teams got away with stuff that would have been flagged on most other game days. I'd much rather watch this game than witness yellow fabric being air tossed to dry. As long as the players and teams can ID what's going on AND neither gets a horrible call late in the game on a similar play that was allowed earlier, I'm OK with it. Yes, even if the call is NOT made in the Pat's favor.