NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian

Don't know if everybody saw this.  Pereira said some surprising things on the radio after admitting that he probably wouldn't be so bold if he wasn't about to retire.  He complained about the pass interference rule, and said that the competition committee is basically changing rules without rewriting them by mandating "points of emphasis".  He goes on to tell a story about BB and talks about Polian and the defensive holding emphasis that followed 2004 (12:00 in is the part about holding).  It's pretty interesting if you have the time.

Here's a summary from PFT if you would rather read about it, skips alot of the points in the discussion though.

Several of you have forwarded to us the link to a Super Bowl week Radio Row interview of now-former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira, who sat down with Mike Felger and Tony Massarotti of 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston.

Among other things, Pereira talked about the renewed emphasis that was placed in the middle of the last decade on the rule regarding illegal contact with receivers.  Pereira made it clear that Colts president Bill Polian, a long-time member of the Competition Committee, pushed the issue due to the perception/reality that Patriots defensive backs were manhandling Indianapolis receivers.

Pereira was candid regarding his belief that the change to the application of the rule made little sense.  Specifically, he said that the notion that a flag would be thrown and a first down awarded regardless of whether the contact actually generates an advantage for the defensive team "didn't seem logical."

"It was difficult for us," he said.  "You always tried to officiate the game advantage-disadvantage.  And so it didn't seem logical . . . to me at the time.  I probably wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have just four quarters left to go in my career.  But it didn't seem logical to me that you would take advantage-disadvantage out of the equation, that just a touch became a foul whether or not it had an affect or not."

Pereira also explained that the spike in illegal-contact calls has since leveled out, with the spike in calls subsiding over time.

But his broader point is an eye-opener.  Not only did Pereira make it clear that Polian pushed the "point of emphasis" through the Competition Committee, but Pereira also was refreshingly candid regarding his disagreement with the requirement that any contact with a receiver after five yards mandated a five-yard penalty and an automatic first down.

here's the link:

http://985thesportshub.radio.com/2010/02/07/the-rules-direction-of-the-nfl/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian

Great post. I will listen later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Re: NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian

This is an important story. If someone has the time and resources they should compile all the bullstuff calls Gayton gets and put it on youtube

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

How do these committees work?  Does Polian have this job for life or are there term limits? 

The NFL has to realize that they are losing credibility with the fans with this clown steering rules to his teams advantage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

During the SB the Colts receivers were constantly looking for flags & making gestures. They were like basers that had their crack taken away. The rules should have never been changed. Polian did get a SB win out of it, & that wouldn't have happened w/o the rule change. Peyton wouldn't be Mister .500 either, more like Mister .333 or .250.

Was anything said by this guy about the holding by the Giants in the SB? They dragged Welker down many times, & we all know you can't keep that guy from getting open.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

The beauty of this will be watching underdogg tie himself into a logic pretzel trying to attack this one. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Great receivers don't need "help".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

-- "I probably wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have just four quarters left to go in my career." --

Is anyone surprised that this guy's principles appear to be a matter of convenience?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian:
    How do these committees work?  Does Polian have this job for life or are there term limits?  The NFL has to realize that they are losing credibility with the fans with this clown steering rules to his teams advantage.
    Posted by Tcal2

I am sure that is why there were no phantom PI calls in the Superbowl. The league realizes the damage to their credibility this situation has caused. I mean it is one thing when one team and their fans complains about something but it is an entirely different thing when almost all of them do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian:
       -- "I probably wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have just four quarters left to go in my career." -- Is anyone surprised that this guy's principles appear to be a matter of convenience?
    Posted by p-mike

I was thinking the same thing p-m.  Where are the checks and balances?  Shouldn't Fish Sticks and the other coaches and management types on this committee stand up.

Exactly who is this Polian and why does he have so much power?  Is it his game?  I don't get it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"It was difficult for us," he said.  "You always tried to officiate the game advantage-disadvantage.  And so it didn't seem logical . . . to me at the time.  I probably wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have just four quarters left to go in my career.  But it didn't seem logical to me that you would take advantage-disadvantage out of the equation, that just a touch became a foul whether or not it had an affect or not."

Prairie and ALL:

~Mike, personally I took Pereira's candor about what he felt about the true nature of Polian's and Tagliabue's (and in the part of either negligence and/or possible future offense-benefitting rules, under Goodell) ALL undermining the fairness and evenness about how the game's played, rather differently...  I very much hear your sentiment in regards to The VP of NFL Officiating, expressing his true feelings ONLY now, when Pereira only has (or had), 4 quarters left to referee in his entire career.  Yet, We ALL tend to toe the Company Policy line at times...even sadly WHEN we largely disagree with a certain policy. 

Our own principles tend to take a back seat when The "Company's" policies are not absolutely of dire detriment and harm (he's not asking Pereira to kill someone, or break into someone's house or something of this nature), AND our overall principles, sentiments and standards tend to almost always (and sometimes, unfortunately) take a back seat after and when we weigh ALL that we might have to lose, all that we've worked for, the future of ourselves and especially those that count on us (i.e. Pereira's retirement package, plans, benefits, holdings, and on and on...even close and personal friends within the league who just might ostricize him or simply undermine him)...

It's tough in this day and age, when we all direly need that job, that security, and a future...  And so, It's extremely unfortunate that this game, which is all it is in the end, Is undermined...it's integrity and overall fairness.  So Mike, IF you want to blame anyone (other than the obvious people on The Competition Committe and other higher-ups in The League Front Offices who are completely and utterly the responsible parties...the one's weilding the proverbial weapon used at the time)...
         BLAME also then, if need be, The lackey Mass-Media-those who have silently followed along and thus joined in as unquestioning members of the metaphorical NFL's fair-and-equal-play 'Hangin' Party', because 99% of mainstream Media (other than this article's author) is more concerned with keeping their league sources alive, AND/OR more concerned with maintaining league revenue for Themselves/Their bosses/Their Friends/Their papers/Their web-pages and anything else, AND/OR The Media id!otically writing meaningless puff-articles, AND/OR The Media being more concerned about maintaining the now-corrupted "Integrity" of this sport in the public's eyes in order to desperately NOT negate overall mass viewership... 

~Overall though, Don't blame this Pereira guy, who actually has the guts to come out and express his true beliefs (whenever or however)...when there's many, many more individuals and groups who need to bare an unimaginably larger burden of the guilt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Laz, Just for clarity, the "emphasis" that Polian muscled through happened when Tags was still Commish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Thanx root, I actually forgot that....now amended.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Interesting - in my view the NFL itself is complicit in this - simply speaking, the NFL wants more offense. It's a shame, as I think the PI call in particular has gotten outrageous in its implications. To be clear: most of the time, I don't even like it when the Pats get those PI calls. They always seem cheap. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

Polian is power hungry because he lost 4 straight SBs with the Bills in the early 90s. No GM has lost 4 straight Super Bowls before.  He then went to Carolina, ran into problems with owner Jerry Richardson and was given full control with the Colts.  He drafted Gomer in '98 and since then has tried to tailor the league rules for Manning.  When the Colts got outplayed, outcoached, and basically outmuscled with their finesse teams in 2003 and 2004 against NE, he blew his top.  He has been known to physically attack people and generarly act extremely unprofessional.   He's also conveinetly covered up Marvin Harrisons' off field problems both before games/at the Pro Bowl and possibly with the Philadelphia PD.  He has sat as Chairman of the Competition Committee for one reason and reason only though:  Polian has hoped to shape the league rules around his team's offensive style.  They play in a dome, are a passing team almost exclusively, and for years have received gift calls to the point the NFL has had to apologize to teams, including the Pats after the shady 2006 title game where the Pats were hosed on 3 absolutely blown calls (Brown phantom off. PI, Caldwell mangled in the end zone, and of course the infamous "faceguarding" call on Hobbs which handed them a 1st and goal at the 1 yard line).  The Pats lost that game 38-34.  The NFL apologized months later.  The piped in crowd noise is another Polian trick and the infamous 11 penalty game in 2007 also screams shady Polian behavior in recent seasons.
    Posted by russgriswold
    WOW how true, and we get called out for cheating.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian : I am sure that is why there were no phantom PI calls in the Superbowl. The league realizes the damage to their credibility this situation has caused. I mean it is one thing when one team and their fans complains about something but it is an entirely different thing when almost all of them do.
    Posted by rtuinila

I think it's highly possible the league realized PI calls were going overboard, and emphasized to the refs not to make the SB a grand showcase for yet more iffy PI calls.

However, I think you also have to consider that the Saints DB's also played very smart.  They didn't even open up a crack to allow a PI call.  What do I mean?

1. They never allowed a Colts receiver to run into them downfield without the ball being in play.  Butler should take notice.
    2. They never made any contact without having their head turned towards the ball.  Their was never any question that they were playing the ball.
    3. Every time they "played the ball", the ball was just getting there (necessary).  They were never premature.

Maybe, just maybe, the Saints expected the refs to be trigger happy with regard to PI calls, and they played with an above average presence of mind to avoid them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Kinda surprised Dogg hasn't commented here.  This amounts to the authoritative source and answer to an often debated subject here.  While technically, Polian did not cause a rule to be changed, even the VP of refs agrees that that's just a technicality.  It also answers quite decisively whether or not Polian did in fact push for the point of emphasis change.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

actually it's not even the contact beyond the five yards that i hate. i will admit that as a pats fan, i am biased, but i do think that the colts have benefited from pi calls for a lot of yards when there was not even any contact. the only other team that i remember benefiting from such a call in a big playoff game during the past 7 years is pitt when they played the hawks in the sb.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

Once again this proves how absolute power corrupts absolutely!
    I have said and will continue to say how easy it is to rigg a system. If the powers that be wish a team to win then all they need do is reach out to a certain other power and thus you have the kaos effect in play.
    I remember my wife saying in the Superbowl game when the Patriots plaed the Giants. Moss caught the touchdown with 2 minutes left and she said, look at him hes not celebrating at all, in fact he looked like he lost the game, then bang, the Giants score and its history.
    Manning during the Superbowl last week had that pissed off look that he knew he would lose, my wife called it again in the third quater, she said he knew he was going to lose.
    Now you dont have to believe it, and I dont want to hash conspiracey theories but this proves that if someone with the power in the NFL can and will change for certain aspects of the game. They wanted Big Forehead to be showcased all year and he was, up to the Superbowl. I honestly dont know anything but if I was a betting man, I woulod bet it is definately pre set.Sealed

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teddydupay4. Show teddydupay4's posts

In Response to NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian:
    [QUOTE]Don't know if everybody saw this.  Pereira said some surprising things on the radio after admitting that he probably wouldn't be so bold if he wasn't about to retire.  He complained about the pass interference rule, and said that the competition committee is basically changing rules without rewriting them by mandating "points of emphasis".  He goes on to tell a story about BB and talks about Polian and the defensive holding emphasis that followed 2004 (12:00 in is the part about holding).  It's pretty interesting if you have the time. Here's a summary from PFT if you would rather read about it, skips alot of the points in the discussion though. Several of you have forwarded to us the link to a Super Bowl week Radio Row interview of now-former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira, who sat down with Mike Felger and Tony Massarotti of 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston. Among other things, Pereira talked about the renewed emphasis that was placed in the middle of the last decade on the rule regarding illegal contact with receivers.  Pereira made it clear that Colts president Bill Polian, a long-time member of the Competition Committee, pushed the issue due to the perception/reality that Patriots defensive backs were manhandling Indianapolis receivers. Pereira was candid regarding his belief that the change to the application of the rule made little sense.  Specifically, he said that the notion that a flag would be thrown and a first down awarded regardless of whether the contact actually generates an advantage for the defensive team "didn't seem logical." "It was difficult for us," he said.  "You always tried to officiate the game advantage-disadvantage.  And so it didn't seem logical . . . to me at the time.  I probably wouldn't be saying this if I didn't have just four quarters left to go in my career.  But it didn't seem logical to me that you would take advantage-disadvantage out of the equation, that just a touch became a foul whether or not it had an affect or not." Pereira also explained that the spike in illegal-contact calls has since leveled out, with the spike in calls subsiding over time. But his broader point is an eye-opener.  Not only did Pereira make it clear that Polian pushed the "point of emphasis" through the Competition Committee, but Pereira also was refreshingly candid regarding his disagreement with the requirement that any contact with a receiver after five yards mandated a five-yard penalty and an automatic first down. here's the link: http://985thesportshub.radio.com/2010/02/07/the-rules-direction-of-the-nfl/
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

This is GREAT and thanks in advance.  I'm on the radio in Indianapolis occasionally (as a college football guest though, not pro) but you can bet this link is getting to the producer of a show on 1070 there for discussion.  I look forward to hearing them try to spin this as only delusional homer Colts people can.  Awesome stuff.  What's next, you have footage of aliens?  Just makes me more proud to be a fan of an organization that does it the right way and just takes shots from all the jealous competition, and how the NFL is slanted to completely absolve what makes the game great...physical defense and running the football.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Once again this proves how absolute power corrupts absolutely! I have said and will continue to say how easy it is to rigg a system. If the powers that be wish a team to win then all they need do is reach out to a certain other power and thus you have the kaos effect in play. I remember my wife saying in the Superbowl game when the Patriots plaed the Giants. Moss caught the touchdown with 2 minutes left and she said, look at him hes not celebrating at all, in fact he looked like he lost the game, then bang, the Giants score and its history. Manning during the Superbowl last week had that pissed off look that he knew he would lose, my wife called it again in the third quater, she said he knew he was going to lose. Now you dont have to believe it, and I dont want to hash conspiracey theories but this proves that if someone with the power in the NFL can and will change for certain aspects of the game. They wanted Big Forehead to be showcased all year and he was, up to the Superbowl. I honestly dont know anything but if I was a betting man, I woulod bet it is definately pre set.
    Posted by alcondragon[/QUOTE]

So, is your wife part of the conspiracy? You may want to check into that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

HEY UNDERDOGGG, DID YOU SEE THIS????

I wasn't making it up - the NFL and/or the Colts just had all of the articles proving the truth removed from the Internet to prevent the Colts from looking like the whiny b*tches they are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

In Response to Re: NFL VP of officiating Pereira talks/complains about pass interference, holding and Polian : So, is your wife part of the conspiracy? You may want to check into that. 
    Posted by EnochRoot

Im not really sure but I have been watching her. She seems to be very shady so it could be she is a part of it

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I think I recall Periera saying the exact opposite thing on local radio here.  You don't think he plays to the local media do you?