No Grimes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

No Grimes

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156092/article/brent-grimes-miami-dolphins-agree-on-1year-contract

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: No Grimes

good move by the phins, they definitely needed/need help in their secondary

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats dont have the $$$ availale to make this signing with out making cuts or extending players currently under contract.

Grimes coming off acchilles tendon surgery, 1 year $5.5. Talib healthy, 1 year $5.0...I am wondering if Talib had other offers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Grimes is a good player; good pick-up for the Phins.  But i'm not sure why everybody is lobbying for another stud CB?  Why?  We have 2 solid starting CB's in Talib and Dennard, and a great nickel corner in Arrington.  I do think they need more depth by either signing a cheap veteran who can be plugged in on 4 WR sets, but that can come in the draft as well.  

Also, don't forget Dowling.  Yes, yes I know he's been injury-plagued and his carreer is in doubt but don't sleep on a hungry/motivated and talented young player whose career may revolve around one season.  I think a few of us may be surprised by him this year, but if not, it's not a big deal.  His contributions this year will simply be a bonus considering we don't need him to start or even be the #3 CB.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Grimes is a good player; good pick-up for the Phins.  But i'm not sure why everybody is lobbying for another stud CB?  Why?  We have 2 solid starting CB's in Talib and Dennard, and a great nickel corner in Arrington.  I do think they need more depth by either signing a cheap veteran who can be plugged in on 4 WR sets, but that can come in the draft as well.  

Also, don't forget Dowling.  Yes, yes I know he's been injury-plagued and his carreer is in doubt but don't sleep on a hungry/motivated and talented young player whose career may revolve around one season.  I think a few of us may be surprised by him this year, but if not, it's not a big deal.  His contributions this year will simply be a bonus considering we don't need him to start or even be the #3 CB.  

No question the Pats seem to be set for starters assuming Dennard gets a suspended sentence. The problem is that they are depending on Talib who has never played a 16 game season and behind him Dowling who has never played an 8 game season. And while Dennard looked good last year, he was only a starter for half a season and that is a fairly small sample size. One suspects his off-season has also been focused on non-football issues so far. And after Dowling, the cupboard is pretty bare.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

No question the Pats seem to be set for starters assuming Dennard gets a suspended sentence. The problem is that they are depending on Talib who has never played a 16 game season and behind him Dowling who has never played an 8 game season. And while Dennard looked good last year, he was only a starter for half a season and that is a fairly small sample size. One suspects his off-season has also been focused on non-football issues so far. And after Dowling, the cupboard is pretty bare.

Pats need insurance against Talib. They went cheap to fix the CB need with Talib, but now need insurance against Talib. So they spend more either thru FA or the draft to bring some one in that can be insurance. 

If they sign some one, or draft some one, I think Ras is hard pressed to make the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

SUX WE SHOULDA grabbed him and abraham

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It amazes me that people could think "no big deal" when a guy who was basically a first round pick does absolutely nothing and mat be out of the league by the time September roles around. And what exactly makes you think this is a hungry/motivated and talented player?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who said the Pats wanted him? He's a good CB, but he doesn't fit the Pats system. 

Dennard, Talib, Dowling, heck, even Arrington (in the slot) are all press man-to-man CB. Grimes is a tiny, tiny, tiny CB. Butler-esque. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Who said the Pats wanted him? He's a good CB, but he doesn't fit the Pats system. 

Dennard, Talib, Dowling, heck, even Arrington (in the slot) are all press man-to-man CB. Grimes is a tiny, tiny, tiny CB. Butler-esque. 

Dennard and Grimes are actually listed at the same height of 5'10. But Dennard has quite a bit of weight over Grimes...23 LBS to be exact.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

You think Talib, with his purported volatility, will be happy looking at the contracts of other players who play at his position?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I guess I'm not 100% sold on the quality, durability, and liberty of our corners.  Sure, if Talib is healthy and plays up to his potential he's a great starter.  Dennard looked like the real deal at corner last year, but we've seen plenty of guys who looked pretty good in year one regress in year two.  And Dennard could start the season in jail.  

Arrington is good in the middle, but he's not very good on the perimeter.  And guys like Cole are dime backs and special teamers. 

If all goes well--i.e., Talib and Dennard stay healthy and play up to the potential they showed last year--everything will be fine.  It's just that history seems to suggest relying solely on two guys is risky . . . for that reason, another decent CB would make me feel better. 

Of course, that need has to be balanced against all the others . . . WR, front seven (various positions), safety maybe, and OL.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Probably because the Pats secondary usually has 3 or 4 long term injuries per season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

It amazes me that people could think "no big deal" when a guy who was basically a first round pick does absolutely nothing and mat be out of the league by the time September roles around. And what exactly makes you think this is a hungry/motivated and talented player?

I don't give a damn where he was drafted; unlike yourself, I look at the total product on the field for the TEAM.   I don't get my panties in a bunch because a draft pick hasn't panned out as expected.  When I say it's "no big deal" if he doesn't work out for us, I mean that from a team perspective.  We are solid at the CB position and he doesn't need to be anything more than a durable back-up.   If he doesn't make it, it's not as if the team is going to collapse.  Relax.

I always forget that BB is the only one to miss on draft picks.  Now that I think of it, he should draft more like Tannenbaum and Rexy in NY!! They always nail 1st and 2nd rounders!  My goodness, dude.

You overanalyze and nitpick every single player on this team except for Brady.  Do you realize that?  

Also, I 'know' that he's a talented player because I actually watch football outside of the Patriots. (Quick question: did you watch the Pats in '08 when Brady was out for the season?  Serious question)  I love the game, especially college, and being that I go to an ACC school, I've seen Dowling play and I can say that he has a ton of potential.  I'm assuming that he's "hungry/motivated" because I've also heard the kid speak and he sounds like a mature/determined young man.  Do you always have to critique and b*tch about everything about this team besides Brady?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

Probably because the Pats secondary usually has 3 or 4 long term injuries per season. 

Injuries happen.  It's football.  The Pats have good depth and don't need to be shelling out 6M for an insurance policy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

True, but in this league today you need 3 starting quality corners who can play outside...we have 2, one of which in Talib that has never played a 16 game season, and 1 in Dennard that is good, but also has missed time to injury..ditto on Ras. You really want to see Arrington playing outside? I don't. They need another starting caliber cb to play outside. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

True, but in this league today you need 3 starting quality corners who can play outside...we have 2, one of which in Talib that has never played a 16 game season, and 1 in Dennard that is good, but also has missed time to injury..ditto on Ras. You really want to see Arrington playing outside? I don't. They need another starting caliber cb to play outside. 

lifer i have been repeating myself for half a year saying the same thing. im glad a few get it (see the need).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't give a damn where he was drafted; unlike yourself, I look at the total product on the field for the TEAM.   I don't get my panties in a bunch because a draft pick hasn't panned out as expected.  When I say it's "no big deal" if he doesn't work out for us, I mean that from a team perspective.  We are solid at the CB position and he doesn't need to be anything more than a durable back-up.   If he doesn't make it, it's not as if the team is going to collapse.  Relax.

I always forget that BB is the only one to miss on draft picks.  Now that I think of it, he should draft more like Tannenbaum and Rexy in NY!! They always nail 1st and 2nd rounders!  My goodness, dude.

You overanalyze and nitpick every single player on this team except for Brady.  Do you realize that?  

Also, I 'know' that he's a talented player because I actually watch football outside of the Patriots. (Quick question: did you watch the Pats in '08 when Brady was out for the season?  Serious question)  I love the game, especially college, and being that I go to an ACC school, I've seen Dowling play and I can say that he has a ton of potential.  I'm assuming that he's "hungry/motivated" because I've also heard the kid speak and he sounds like a mature/determined young man.  Do you always have to critique and b*tch about everything about this team besides Brady?

Are you Rusty? Or does Rusty have a son? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'd like to see more depth at corner but not for the price tag that Grimes came with.  FA period still not done and draft ahead.

I also happen to agree with many of the points regarding the team that Irish made. I'd like to think that some of us can view the team and the GM/coach positively without being labeled crtiically. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

You nailed it!!!  I am, indeed, Rusty because I think mthurl is annoying and is always crying that BB doesn't hit on every single draft pick/FA signing.  You can further your claim that I am Rusty because I butt heads with you and Babe.  

Say, you, Babe, and mthurl always tended to agree a lot, are you and hurl Babe's grandsons?  

It's amazing to me how many 'grown-ups' in here can be so childish.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I always forget that BB is the only one to miss on draft picks.  Now that I think of it, he should draft more like Tannenbaum and Rexy in NY!! They always nail 1st and 2nd rounders! My goodness, dude.

In response to rkarp's comment:

You nailed it!!!  I am, indeed, Rusty because I think mthurl is annoying and is always crying that BB doesn't hit on every single draft pick/FA signing.  You can further your claim that I am Rusty because I butt heads with you and Babe.  

Say, you, Babe, and mthurl always tended to agree a lot, are you and hurl Babe's grandsons?  

It's amazing to me how many 'grown-ups' in here can be so childish.

I must be Rusty too because I agree with you. This is likely Dowling's last chance. Why wouldn't he be hungry and motivated?

25. This post has been removed.