No need for the panic button...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

No need for the panic button...

Ok guys - Pats where horrible last night - we all know it.  No way they win a SB with a performace like that.  But lets move on with our chins up -- and I'll give you some reasons why.

1. Playoffs is a whole nother season and the Pats usually have a good run in the playoffs.

2.  Believe it or not they still have a good shot at the #2.  This loss hurts but if we had to lose a game, this WAS THE ONE!  If New England wins out they will have a better AFC record than either Cincy or SD who have to play each other, meaning one will lose and have a worse AFC record than the Pats.  Tie-breaker will go to the Pats.  Now, if the team that wins the Cincy / SD game loses to an AFC team somewhere along the way, that would put the Pats at #2.

3. Pats look bad now, but I still have faith.  Anything can happen in the playoffs and going in at #2 would be great.

4. How would this be for a scenario:  Colts & Saints go 16-0...  New England beats Indy in the AFC champ game and NO in the SB... ha ha... I know its a stretch but I can dream!!  lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: No need for the panic button...

Those are all nice scenarios, but lets be real.  This 2009 Patriots team hasnt really shown us anything special.  A couple of blowouts....who cares!  The only good teams they have beat this year are the Falcons and Ravens and they may not even make the playoffs.

I think we are giving this team alot more credit than they deserve.  I would love to see them prove me wrong, but this team has no leadership and fight on defense and when its playoff time defenses have to step up.

But you never know.  The colts won the SB with one of the worst defenses in the league in 2006.

The Cards went to the SB after playing mediocre and getting blownout in NE in 2008.

Anything can happen, I just dont see the fight and toughness with this defense and the offense looks stale.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from faninCT. Show faninCT's posts

Thanks for your positive, upbeat comments. I think we all need that right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

you're right, i mean look at some of the recent super bowl winners, Pats of '01, Pit of '05, Giants of '07.  did any of those teams dominate in those seasons?  no, they just hit their strides at the right time.  that's all it takes.  the Pats will get into the playoffs and that's when they need to play their best, and i think they're capable of that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Brees was throwing darts. You cant defent against that. Wilhite kept falling down, I dont know if he had the wrong shoes but something was wrong. Most of the down field throws Brees just layed the ball in there. He had too much time to throw. Minimal pass rush. We should have played the 4-3 more and pressured him more. Wilhite and Bodden were clearly targeted and wern't badly out of position on most of the plays. We're going to make the playoffs and win our division. Any team that I think has a good chance to get hot in December and Jan is the Pats. LAst night Brady was off. He didn't connect on at least one open pass to Moss and 2 open passes to Akien, those probably would have gone for TD's. Maroney ran hard last night, sure put one on the ground but everyones been crying for him to hit the hole hard and there you have it. I still think this team is improving every week and can still get better. Don't forget that 10 other teams got beat by the Colts and the Saints. I'm not giving up on this team till the clock clicks to 0.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SchwillyPete. Show SchwillyPete's posts

In Response to Re: No need for the panic button...:
    [QUOTE] they just hit their strides at the right time.  that's all it takes.   
    Posted by Mike-J-D[/QUOTE]

No, that's not all it takes. Those teams were rare cases, the best team usually wins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Look at it this way...

If they do not get the #2...

Pats will win the division, host a home game.  They win at home in the playoffs...

Then they need to go on the road and will face either a San Diego team they have beat in the past in SD (edge Pats) or go to Cincy who despite 2005, is relatively new to this "play-off" thing (edge Pats).

Then it could be back to Indy for the final rematch of the decade. 

Last night hurt guys - but its far from over. 

Just win the division... TRY to get the #2 (with help) and the rest is history.

2007: New England beats the Giants to go 16-0 for the first time in NFL history... only to lose to the Giants to end up 18-1...  Anything can happen guys!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jck1962. Show jck1962's posts

I think what would be awesome is if the Patriots could do what the Giants did to them, say the " Aints " go undefeted into the Super Bowl...what better redemption for last nights game than for the patriots to also make it and end their perfect season : )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for your positive, upbeat comments. I think we all need that right now.
    Posted by faninCT[/QUOTE]

No problem!  Thats what Im here for.

But Im just being realistic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No need for the panic button... : No, that's not all it takes. Those teams were rare cases, the best team usually wins.
    Posted by SchwillyPete[/QUOTE]

OK i should probably retract the "that's all it takes" bit, but there's a recent  precedent of a capable team beating a team that's better on paper and i would argue that NE is capable of that. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

They'll probably still win the division but it looks like the Mystique is gone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from George444. Show George444's posts

In Response to No need for the panic button...:
    [QUOTE]Ok guys - Pats where horrible last night - we all know it.  No way they win a SB with a performace like that.  But lets move on with our chins up -- and I'll give you some reasons why. 1. Playoffs is a whole nother season and the Pats usually have a good run in the playoffs. 2.  Believe it or not they still have a good shot at the #2.  This loss hurts but if we had to lose a game, this WAS THE ONE!  If New England wins out they will have a better AFC record than either Cincy or SD who have to play each other, meaning one will lose and have a worse AFC record than the Pats.  Tie-breaker will go to the Pats.  Now, if the team that wins the Cincy / SD game loses to an AFC team somewhere along the way, that would put the Pats at #2. 3. Pats look bad now, but I still have faith.  Anything can happen in the playoffs and going in at #2 would be great. 4. How would this be for a scenario:  Colts & Saints go 16-0...  New England beats Indy in the AFC champ game and NO in the SB... ha ha... I know its a stretch but I can dream!!  lol
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the same thing we Red Sox fans were saying as the Yankees passed them this year. Wait till the playoffs. Please. Let's accept the fact that this is a 7 and 4 team with a porous defense and limited all around talent. NEWS FLASH: the Pats are no longer a dominant NFL team and haven't been since 2007.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from voigt. Show voigt's posts

the Pats are the only team in their division above 500 - and the likelihood of the Jets or the Fins catching up is remote - so even though the Pats haven't "earned" a trip into the post season - they'll get there by virtue of not sucking as much as the rest of the division. 
    And before anyone jumps on that - how many times have Pats fans bit&$#$d about teams  sneaking into the SB because they got lucky in the post season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

All they have to do is get in guys and guess what?  We are back to WEEK 1.

Look at it this way - back in 2007 they were rolling and I thought NO ONE could stop them.  Alough I knew that stupid 14 point spread was crazy for the SB.  I wanted to put my life savings on the Giants but because I am a Pats fan I couldn't bring myself to do it.  Anyway - point being that any team can win on any day -- we all know this.

Pats are a great playoff team and always give you a chance. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I think it's so funny that so many have jumped off the deep end after last nights game.
    First, this years Saints team is one of the top 5 teams put together this decade. They might even be the best team. There is no shame in losing to them, just like there was no shame in losing to the 2007 Patriots. If the Patriots had won, it would have been called an "upset".
    Second, the Patriots have played 6 (that were at the time) undefeated teams. That's an NFL record. All 4 of the Patriots losses have come to teams that were/are undefeated and (were/are) playing extremely good football. It's not like they lost to the Lions, Raiders or Browns.
    Third, the Patriots had a big turnover of players on defense--especially veteran leaders--and that takes a while to overcome. The secondary will improve, and the defensive line is just starting to get healthy again.
    Fourth, as IraqSteve said, the playoffs are a whole different beast. Anything can happen (just look at the Cardinals last year as an example, or the 2001 Patriots team). The important thing is getting to the playoffs, and the Patriots are on track for that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I really think the Pats will win out.. and let's not forget, 12-4 is still a good record! 

Sure, we got smoked last night.. but I feel like that was our annual clunker (look at the Miami game last year at Foxboro, at Pittsburgh in 04, Miami in 06, SB in 07, etc.) 

The Pats just need a pass-rush (very badly!!) and it would change a lot of things on defense.  Our coverage held up decently last night, but the lack of a pass-rush REALLY hurt them.  Brees had all day to sit back and wait for his wr's to come uncovered, then made some pretty much perfect throws. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No need for the panic button... : No, that's not all it takes. Those teams were rare cases, the best team usually wins.
    Posted by SchwillyPete[/QUOTE]

Agree.  Also the teams listed, 01 pats, 05 Pitt, 07 NYG, all were founded on defense and ball control, a well proven way to win in January, especially for perceived 'underdogs'.  I don't think the 2009 Pats are a case-study in defense and ball control.

I do also agree however with the title of the thread, the schedule down the stretch is very easy, meaning 12-4 and a first round bye is still very possible.  1 home game and a trip to Indy as the most difficult possible road to the Super Bowl is not that scary.  A healthier Saints team in a Super Bowl re-match is slightly more scary......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Where were the  Pats  nlast night They were not playing Football thats for certain. They were a Disgrace  Started w/ Brady  and Defense  You wonder how Pats won 3 super bowl rings after the SHAMEFUL way they played last night DISGRACEFUL PATS

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Ho hum, lose a regular season game, the Pats move on and win the Super Bowl.  What's for lunch?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Ho hum, lose a regular season game, the Pats move on and win the Super Bowl.  What's for lunch?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

I like it mighty, sounds like me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

Does any one know when the last time the Pats lost to the same team twice in one season?  I feel confident facing any team (some more than others)!  We will make the playoffs and hit our stride on our way to our 4th Super Bowl victory!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiquitabailama. Show chiquitabailama's posts

I absolutely agree with you. Common, we've got Welker, Moss, Faulk, Brady, etc. While our defense is less than stellar in last night's game, and the offense calls were lame, the dream is still on. I still believe in the Patriots. Now, can we have Charlie Weiss back as the offensive coach?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to No need for the panic button...:
    [QUOTE]Ok guys - Pats where horrible last night - we all know it.  No way they win a SB with a performace like that.  But lets move on with our chins up -- and I'll give you some reasons why. 1. Playoffs is a whole nother season and the Pats usually have a good run in the playoffs. 2.  Believe it or not they still have a good shot at the #2.  This loss hurts but if we had to lose a game, this WAS THE ONE!  If New England wins out they will have a better AFC record than either Cincy or SD who have to play each other, meaning one will lose and have a worse AFC record than the Pats.  Tie-breaker will go to the Pats.  Now, if the team that wins the Cincy / SD game loses to an AFC team somewhere along the way, that would put the Pats at #2. 3. Pats look bad now, but I still have faith.  Anything can happen in the playoffs and going in at #2 would be great. 4. How would this be for a scenario:  Colts & Saints go 16-0...  New England beats Indy in the AFC champ game and NO in the SB... ha ha... I know its a stretch but I can dream!!  lol
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

All well and good, but you sound like so many posts I've read on Jets forums and heard from fans trying to rationalize their team's poor play. Bottom line, the Pats win the division hopefully (still a few road games to deal with) then more than likely one and out unless the cards fall a certain way and some powers get knocked out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I agree, This season is far from over... After a loss like this, the team has to start feeling like an underdog, and that suit fits them really good.

I really feel, they are going to run the table... not very difficult opponents from here on.

12 - 4 hopefully enough for the 2nd or 3rd AFC spot.

Then, lets hope BB still have that magic for second time rivals he once had.

GO PATS !!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TCIII. Show TCIII's posts

Panic button is already pressed!! I still think the Pats are a great team but, If they continue playing poorly against good teams, theyre done. They dont look like the same team any more. Totally disappointed with the play calls last night. Bill seems off, Brady seems off ??????? We really could have used Darius Butler last night in the secondary. I will still hope for a turn around this year.