No one remembers Dobson from ESPN?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: No one remembers Dobson from ESPN?

In response to wozzy's comment:

Dobson, Boyce, Amendola, Edelman and Moe are a really good group of young receivers to be bringing to camp... only the negative Nancies could be sad.

I agree with this.  Brady must be licking his chops   Now if we can keep injurys to a minimum.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to bredbruu's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Seriously the sickest catch I've seen in the last decade at least. Hope this makes people feel fuzzy. 

http://youtu.be/YCdFFFAxLz0?t=14s

At the end of the day it's a draft ... we'll argue about it in a few years ... right now ... it was a decent draft. 

True enough. What might be a concern is BB reverting to his trading down gimmick which in the past has shown itself to be rather ineffective.

Not me. Some years I don't like trading down .... others it's ok. This year I like it. It was a terrible draft pool. 

The concept of "trading down" isn't static and needs to be judged against what you think is there. 

1.) This was a 5h!t draft. Tyler Eifert? Tank Carradine? I don't think there was any real "frst round talent." I'd rather have the shot at Collins and Dobson than any one player drafted ahead of them .... 50 times on Sunday.

2.) You are trading down a cr@p@ss selection too. 29 is not a great selection. It's not a 1st round pick that people cite. I could see if BB traded out of the the top 10. I mean, I'm not crying about losing out on  Patterson, Ogletre, Frederick, Elam or Cyprien.  I don't think, even on a good pool year, there is a difference between a 29 selection and a 40 really, as far as total talent goes. Statistically, there isn't in an average season, a difference between a 15 and a 50, as far as outcomes. Most of the hype about 1st round making "stars" is heavily weighted toward the first 15 or so which skew the outcomes for the rest. This year? Heck, I'll predict more probowlers from picks 32 to 64 than from 11 to 32.

id taken carradine. coulkd have still gotten dobson or cmparable and a 3rd pick.

if collinsis an all pro , buchannon plays in the nfl like he did in college and dobson is a stud, im good.

Really? I wouldn't. I don't think Carradine is any better a prospect than Collins.  I wouldn't give anyone, really, after the first 15-20 a first round grade. In fact, I like Collin's athleticism for what NE needs to improve. Add in the lower salary and extra cracks in the 3rd, 4th and 7th, and I prefer it a lot.  

sensible. if carradine lives up to his top 5-10 pre kneee injury grade and collins isnt a stud ++ player, it's a mistake.

otherswise its value or brilliance depending how well collins and buchannon do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Dobson, Boyce, Amendola, Edelman and Moe are a really good group of young receivers to be bringing to camp... only the negative Nancies could be sad.

Or people who don't think about how each draft is different. In another year, it might have made less sense to take the extra selections. But merely being a first round pick doesn't make you better than a guy drafted in the second or third. 

IF NE had actually passed on a player I thought was appreciably better at WR or DE/OLB in the first to trade down I'd be scratching my head. They did not. There wasn't anyone there that was markedly better than Collins and Dobson. So trade down and take both. Shoot, if you offered me Patterson and Carradine for Collins and Dobson I might not take the trade. They are equal talent level prospects, but Collins and Dobson fit what NE needs more. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Seriously the sickest catch I've seen in the last decade at least. Hope this makes people feel fuzzy. 

At the end of the day it's a draft ... we'll argue about it in a few years ... right now ... it was a decent draft. 

yup. 3rd wr on my pats list. hope hes teh real deal and takes 2 dbs wiht him everywhere he goes.

The only bad thing is that, though he can take two DBs with him downfield, he won't beat them down field like Randy could. 

Didnt this guy run a consistent 4.40 injured WITH turf toe? And from what Ive read he has hit 4.35 times consistently.......which is only .10 off Randy Moss's 4.25 timed dash at his fastest. Not exactly a slow runner if you ask me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

True enough. What might be a concern is BB reverting to his trading down gimmick which in the past has shown itself to be rather ineffective.

Not me. Some years I don't like trading down .... others it's ok. This year I like it. It was a terrible draft pool. 

The concept of "trading down" isn't static and needs to be judged against what you think is there. 

1.) This was a 5h!t draft. Tyler Eifert? Tank Carradine? I don't think there was any real "frst round talent." I'd rather have the shot at Collins and Dobson than any one player drafted ahead of them .... 50 times on Sunday.

2.) You are trading down a cr@p@ss selection too. 29 is not a great selection. It's not a 1st round pick that people cite. I could see if BB traded out of the the top 10. I mean, I'm not crying about losing out on  Patterson, Ogletre, Frederick, Elam or Cyprien.  I don't think, even on a good pool year, there is a difference between a 29 selection and a 40 really, as far as total talent goes. Statistically, there isn't in an average season, a difference between a 15 and a 50, as far as outcomes. Most of the hype about 1st round making "stars" is heavily weighted toward the first 15 or so which skew the outcomes for the rest. This year? Heck, I'll predict more probowlers from picks 32 to 64 than from 11 to 32.

id taken carradine. coulkd have still gotten dobson or cmparable and a 3rd pick.

if collinsis an all pro , buchannon plays in the nfl like he did in college and dobson is a stud, im good.

Really? I wouldn't. I don't think Carradine is any better a prospect than Collins.  I wouldn't give anyone, really, after the first 15-20 a first round grade. In fact, I like Collin's athleticism for what NE needs to improve. Add in the lower salary and extra cracks in the 3rd, 4th and 7th, and I prefer it a lot.  

sensible. if carradine lives up to his top 5-10 pre kneee injury grade and collins isnt a stud ++ player, it's a mistake.

otherswise its value or brilliance depending how well collins and buchannon do.

That's grading in a nutshell. 

You won't really know until later. If Carradine and Patterson are just servicable starters, which I think is what they will be it's a different story. 

All NE needs is for ONE of Dobson or Collins to break out, and they break even. IF they stand pat they are taking either Carradine (who I wouldn't touch) or Patterson (who I thought was ok, but really about stability as opposed to playmaking). 

So I'm less interested in how those other guys do. 

The only way NE looks bad is if both their players suck AND both those players are dominant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

yup. 3rd wr on my pats list. hope hes teh real deal and takes 2 dbs wiht him everywhere he goes.

The only bad thing is that, though he can take two DBs with him downfield, he won't beat them down field like Randy could. 

Didnt this guy run a 4.40 injured WITH turf toe? And from what Ive read he can break the 4.3 range no sweat......

I know J. Boyce ran a 4.38 with a broken bone in his foot. It was reported Dobson ran a 4.33 a couple of years ago.  Boyce scored 23 on Wonderlic and Dobson is considered intelligent,  but I have not seen don't have wonderlic. They both seem focused on football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sweet.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In total talent, sure, that's about where I ranked him with my draft gang. As far as what NE needs? I have him Justin Hunter neck and neck at 1a and 1b. NE needed WR who could play in the deep end. There were only really a couple guys fitting that bill. Adding a vanilla 5'10" guy who runs good routes, or another midget slot guy who is a slightly better prospect does not help the team at all. In fact, even they had a crack at Keenan Allen for instance ... all that would do is replicate the slot disaster log jam they've already had. 

Dobson, as a prospect, was about as good as NE was going to do this draft at addressing a huge need that has been there for seasons, without mortgaging the future to trade up into the top 10 to get some monster DT or something. 

Dobson does not look like a project to me

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

i think Dobson can develop into something special. The one kid I am. Really fond of is TJ Moe. I think he will surprise some, and I could see him supplanting Jones on our roster. 

i am curious as to how many wr's the pats keep, slater takes up a spot every year, so, most likely 5 other positions open less slater...amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Boyce, moe...that is a nice group if they can develop some chemistry with Brady. Then add our te's in and it gets real scary. Can't forget Vereen, Ridley and the newly acquired guy from Tampa...that is the making of a versatile and highly productive i offense on paper. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

Or people who don't think about how each draft is different. In another year, it might have made less sense to take the extra selections. But merely being a first round pick doesn't make you better than a guy drafted in the second or third. 

IF NE had actually passed on a player I thought was appreciably better at WR or DE/OLB in the first to trade down I'd be scratching my head. They did not. There wasn't anyone there that was markedly better than Collins and Dobson. So trade down and take both. Shoot, if you offered me Patterson and Carradine for Collins and Dobson I might not take the trade. They are equal talent level prospects, but Collins and Dobson fit what NE needs more. 

well if that is one's assessment of course i agree.

i dont thiink patterson was a fit. i do thingk carradine is.

anxious/excited to see if colings and buchannon will pay off. im counting on dobson to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

i think Dobson can develop into something special. The one kid I am. Really fond of is TJ Moe. I think he will surprise some, and I could see him supplanting Jones on our roster. 

i am curious as to how many wr's the pats keep, slater takes up a spot every year, so, most likely 5 other positions open less slater...amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Boyce, moe...that is a nice group if they can develop some chemistry with Brady. Then add our te's in and it gets real scary. Can't forget Vereen, Ridley and the newly acquired guy from Tampa...that is the making of a versatile and highly productive i offense on paper. 

agreed but wouldnt rul eouyt bolden. kid ran through people several at a time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would ... he never did that. I've seen every run he's done in the pros, and a ton from college. He's a JAG. 

Betcha 20 bucks he never starts here, and is never anything special. 

Out of all NE's running backs he's the least talented. Just a warm body.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't disagree with you. From all I have seen this draft was a weak one so trading down, better yet, trading to the future is probably a good idea.

As I have said, I can't judge the picks this year yet. But BB's track record overall is so-so and actually pretty dismal for defense. So, I'm not expecting much based on that.

As I have said, I would have tried to land X Rhodes in the first with a little maneuvering.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't disagree with you. From all I have seen this draft was a weak one so trading down, better yet, trading to the future is probably a good idea.

As I have said, I can't judge the picks this year yet. But BB's track record overall is so-so and actually pretty dismal for defense. So, I'm not expecting much based on that.

As I have said, I would have tried to land X Rhodes in the first with a little maneuvering.

Fail on that Babe. Sorry. I'll open and close with this: trading up is white trash. Unless someone miraculously slips and you know they won't make it, and you are only flipping a selection or two (hopping one team) it's a terrible move. These are draft picks ... that's like going all in on a hand in a casino because you are drunk and the cocktail waitress blew on your dice.

I think Rhodes was a huge reach at 25. A decent CB with a 4.54 40yd dash? I would have ranked him at the bottom of the second, Scouts ranked him 45th. He is the poster child for this crop ... 2013 was basically a long 2nd round. He has no business being 25th any other year and Minny made a mistake. They could have traded down and if he wasn't still sitting there they would have had their pick of a handful of other guys that are equally as promising. After Trufant, really .... there wasn't anyone I consider a first round corner, and even Trufant is a low first rounder for me.

Plus (again) trading up is white trash. Run a check of how teams that trade up fair ... it will make you glad you have Bill drafting. It's a total Raider or Jet move. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Fail on that Babe. Sorry. I'll open and close with this: trading up is white trash. Unless someone miraculously slips and you know they won't make it, and you are only flipping a selection or two (hopping one team) it's a terrible move. These are draft picks ... that's like going all in on a hand in a casino because you are drunk and the cocktail waitress blew on your dice.

I think Rhodes was a huge reach at 25. A decent CB with a 4.54 40yd dash? I would have ranked him at the bottom of the second, Scouts ranked him 45th. He is the poster child for this crop ... 2013 was basically a long 2nd round. He has no business being 25th any other year and Minny made a mistake. They could have traded down and if he wasn't still sitting there they would have had their pick of a handful of other guys that are equally as promising. After Trufant, really .... there wasn't anyone I consider a first round corner, and even Trufant is a low first rounder for me.

Plus (again) trading up is white trash. Run a check of how teams that trade up fair ... it will make you glad you have Bill drafting. It's a total Raider or Jet move. 

4.43 - 40 (11th among CBs). He also was #1 DB in vertical jump. He was the biggest CB at the combine at 6'2" 210#. Big CBs are at a premium with today's rules. He is probably the only press ready corner in the draft. I saw him rated #2 corner in most analysis I saw. (I have seen him rated as high as 15th overall, don't know where your getting 45th.) Actually, some compare his style to Talib.

To move up and grab him would have cost the equivalent of out 1st pick and a 4th rounder.

There is probably nobody here I respect more than you for knowing your stuff. But I'm going to stick with this guy and we'll see how he pans out. It's all a part of what makes draft day fun.

I would have tried to move up enough to get him and shore up the pass D. Talib is a 1 year rental at this point that has been hurt too often. Dennard has been promising, but 2 CBs won't get it done with this team.

As far as trading up: BB did it twice last year, didn't he?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Scouts Inc Ranked 40th

NFL.com scouts had him ranked at the top 50. 

The 4.43 wasn't an "official time". The official time, which weight all his runs was 4.54. Again that is coutresy of Scouts Inc who record the official time. 

THe only websites I saw that had him secure in the first were the silly fan sites (of which there are dozens) which amount to a couple guys with a six pack, doritos, and Youtube .... and .... a subscrition to a real scouting service like Scouts Inc. 

Sure, you are entitled to your opinion. He sounds like a mess to me. A guy who likes to punch around in man coverage, but is a nightmare when placed in any zone scheme, gets caught peeking, gets lost in the open field. I would never put a 1st round grade on a player like that. 

At any rate, we shall watch him for sure. I bet he's garbage, or at leat a JAG.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Gotta add too. Your plan doesn't really work for NE. 

In order to move to 24 (in reality you might want to move a bit higher unless you are sure your guy will be there, they could not have been, only you are in hindsight) you need 100 points of draft pick value in *this year's draft*. 

That is a high 4th. In reality, NE doesn't possess one at the outset, so you are talking about a 3rd. That's Logan Ryan. FWIW. And also probably unlikely that anyone would have taken a third in this draft.

If it's a future selection teams always want to see a round higher than the value on the chart, and assuming NE does well again most teams would probably ask for a 2nd rounder next year if you refuse to part with the third this year. 

In a fictional world where you possess all the selections and can trade value for value it mathematically works , but not in the 2013 world for NE. Unless you are mortgaging high value picks in the future (real low rent idea) or trading the third and essentially walking away from the draft with just Xavier Rhodes and one other guy.

Also, I don't think NE needs a corner really badly. They need a 4th corner, that is for sure. But they really need a SS who can actually play worse. 

They needed a pass rusher and WR much, much, much worse. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Scouts Inc Ranked 40th

The 4.43 wasn't an "official time". The official time, which weight all his runs was 4.54. Again that is coutresy of Scouts Inc who record the official time. 

THe only websites I saw that had him secure in the first were the silly fan sites (of which there are dozens) which amount to a couple guys with a six pack, doritos, and Youtube .... and .... a subscrition to a real scouting service like Scouts Inc. 

Sure, you are entitled to your opinion. He sounds like a mess to me. A guy who likes to punch around in man coverage, but is a nightmare when placed in any zone scheme, gets caught peeking, gets lost in the open field. I would never put a 1st round grade on a player like that. 

That time is what NFL.com is listing.... sooooo

CBS (nfldraftscout) had him 17th overall.

FoxSports said "With their two first-round picks, they drafted two defensive players who had top-15 grades at No. 23 and 25."

SI graded him higher than Trufant. "Highly productive starting player. First round selection."

Rotoworld (NBC) rated him #7 overall of juniors.

I guess these guys are just silly fan sites.

The odds are always with you when you say a pick won't work out well. But I'll go out on the limb and say this guy will be at least a starter and probably see the pro-bowl within a couple of years.

I reserve the right to eat sweet and sour crow though if I'm wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Scouts Inc Ranked 40th

FoxSports said "With their two first-round picks, they drafted two defensive players who had top-15 grades at No. 23 and 25."

SI graded him higher than Trufant. "Highly productive starting player. First round selection."

The odds are always with you when you say a pick won't work out well. But I'll go out on the limb and say this guy will be at least a starter and probably see the pro-bowl within a couple of years.

Yeah, CBS is a silly fan site. It's fed by NFLdraftscout.com which is a pretty ghetto website that was created by fans, not scouts.They basically collect news and RSS feeds and coallate data and then have someone "pickem". They were the same geniuses that had everyone thinking Vernon Gholston was worth a first overal. 

SI.com takes their rankings from NFP.com, the only one of them that gets I find remotely credible, even though they are staffed mostly by entertainment people.

Rotoworld is a fantasy football website, so again peopled by couchsurfers who made good. 

It's a testament to the lack of real reportage that they give those guys creedence of any sort. But anyone with a slick enough presentation and enough hits can get a cheap contract because most sports magazines don't want to hire people to do this full time. The problem is ... out of all of those groups, only ScoutsInc actually does this full time. The rest just show up around draft time and pick a guy with a PC and spare time to put together a board. 

Hey, I'd trust Mel Kiper over these people ... he does this all year, and years in advance and has a bunch of people working for him full time.

Niether he nor Scouts had this kid ranked as a first round talent, though one of them had him getting drafted there (there is a difference when you factor positional need and can't assume trades).

I would add, that you are also betting that between Collins, Ryan, Harmon, and Legarette Blount, NE doesn't net a player that is at least as good, or some combination that is equivalent. It's a terrible bet for you ... but I'll take it in a second. For a six pack (if you drink beer) of your choice and mine likewise. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Logan Ryan is a better fit for the pats then Rhodes. I was high on Rhodes early, nthen really started watching him. He's good, but seemed to have tight hips. He didn't turn well and as Z said, seemed like a liability in zone.

i think bb had a very good draft and I am counting UDFAs as well. Dobson, Boyce, Moe...nice haul at WR. Collins, buchannon can get after the passer. We got a good 3-4th corner on Ryan, who might be a starting corner next, and a hard hitting little known safety that should make light in the pants Gregory expendable. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think Logan Ryan is a better fit for the pats then Rhodes. I was high on Rhodes early, nthen really started watching him. He's good, but seemed to have tight hips. He didn't turn well and as Z said, seemed like a liability in zone.

i think bb had a very good draft and I am counting UDFAs as well. Dobson, Boyce, Moe...nice haul at WR. Collins, buchannon can get after the passer. We got a good 3-4th corner on Ryan, who might be a starting corner next, and a hard hitting little known safety that should make light in the pants Gregory expendable. 

I don't know if Ryan is a better prospect ... but you know who Rhodes is? Sean Smith in 2009. A big athletic kid who looks lost on the field and terrible in position drills that a bunch of amateurs drooled over after the combine. Except 2009 was a better draft class in my opinion. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Scouts Inc Ranked 40th

Yeah, CBS is a silly fan site. It's fed by NFLdraftscout.com which is a pretty ghetto website that was created by fans, not scouts.They basically collect news and RSS feeds and coallate data and then have someone "pickem". They were the same geniuses that had everyone thinking Vernon Gholston was worth a first overal. 

SI.com takes their rankings from NFP.com, the only one of them that gets I find remotely credible, even though they are staffed mostly by entertainment people.

Rotoworld is a fantasy football website, so again peopled by couchsurfers who made good. 

It's a testament to the lack of real reportage that they give those guys creedence of any sort. But anyone with a slick enough presentation and enough hits can get a cheap contract because most sports magazines don't want to hire people to do this full time. The problem is ... out of all of those groups, only ScoutsInc actually does this full time. The rest just show up around draft time and pick a guy with a PC and spare time to put together a board. 

Hey, I'd trust Mel Kiper over these people ... he does this all year, and years in advance and has a bunch of people working for him full time.

Niether he nor Scouts had this kid ranked as a first round talent, though one of them had him getting drafted there (there is a difference when you factor positional need and can't assume trades).

I would add, that you are also betting that between Collins, Ryan, Harmon, and Legarette Blount, NE doesn't net a player that is at least as good, or some combination that is equivalent. It's a terrible bet for you ... but I'll take it in a second. For a six pack (if you drink beer) of your choice and mine likewise. 

Will bet the sixpack z. What the hell, it's a hunch. And I would gladly buy you a beer for the interesting content you have provided the last few years here anyway.

Hey, give me some credit. I did call out Talib as having a huge impact on the D when you asked the question last year. Sometimes a 6th sense is better than stats, scouting and film.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It is said he doesn't play zone well. But then, he hasn't played for BB. You can't coach his size and his innate cover skills. But, you can coach a system.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

I would ... he never did that. I've seen every run he's done in the pros, and a ton from college. He's a JAG. 

Betcha 20 bucks he never starts here, and is never anything special. 

Out of all NE's running backs he's the least talented. Just a warm body.

maybe so. but you missed plays or did not see teh plays i say whne he most ceratainly did run over several at a time

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

It is said he doesn't play zone well. But then, he hasn't played for BB. You can't coach his size and his innate cover skills. But, you can coach a system.

waht i have read everywhere is ryan doesnt play press man, too slow andmay have to move to safety