No one should be happier with this draft than Taylor Price

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

No one should be happier with this draft than Taylor Price

Taylor was a wide receiver in a college team that was run 1st run 2nd run 3rd and sprinkle in a pass here and there.  He did not know the spread it out game, he was not used to having all those WRs and reads. 

With what looks like a transition to a more power based O, Price will be right at home.  2 receiver sets with 1 to 2 reads based on D sets.  He has the size and certainly the speed to have a big year.  With Gronk and Hernandez Ds will have to respect them in the middle leaving Price single coverage for most of the season.

I would consider 800 yards 6 TDs a heck of a season for Price.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: No one should be happier with this draft than Taylor Price

Agree.  The fact that NE ignored the WR position in the draft shows that the coaches have some confidence in guys like Price. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I think Price can develope into that deep threat WR this offense is lacking, but I wouldn't expect too much too soon.  After last year's training camp, the buzz was that Tate is going to have a huge year and he was very inconsistent once the real games started. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

I get the feeling everyone thinks we are all of a sudden gonna be a run first team,I dont see it.Vereen is a big pass option and so is Woodhead. Ridley is just a replacement for Sammy.We certainly will rely less on the WRs but thats just because of the dynamic TEs,that being said I expect our run game to be much more efficient.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: No one should be happier with this draft than Taylor Price:
    [QUOTE]I get the feeling everyone thinks we are all of a sudden gonna be a run first team,I dont see it.Vereen is a big pass option and so is Woodhead. Ridley is just a replacement for Sammy.We certainly will rely less on the WRs but thats just because of the dynamic TEs,that being said I expect our run game to be much more efficient.
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]

I think this is correct^^^^^.  The additions to the offensive back field mean more options for that offense, and less predictability.  That said, I liked what I saw of Price at the very end of last season.  One more fast sure handed receiver.  I'm good with that.  I hope there will be season 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Sorry, but I don't see Price as a deep threat but more of a possession receiver? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, but I don't see Price as a deep threat but more of a possession receiver? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

He's got 4.4 speed, quick release off the line and can get off tha jam.  He's got deep threat speed same as Tate.  Tate's problem has been releasing off the line when jammed, if both Tate and Price and release they can run by anyone.

Price is more of the natural WR, Tate has had to learn the position as he was more of a return guy.  Tate's 2nd full year, he should improve and Price a full year learning the role. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No one should be happier with this draft than Taylor Price : He's got 4.4 speed, quick release off the line and can get off tha jam.  He's got deep threat speed same as Tate.  Tate's problem has been releasing off the line when jammed, if both Tate and Price and release they can run by anyone. Price is more of the natural WR, Tate has had to learn the position as he was more of a return guy.  Tate's 2nd full year, he should improve and Price a full year learning the role. 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Ah, nice. Thanks for that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I still think that they will add someone with a chip on there shoulder to this team. Such as Ochocinco or Steve Smith. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

...or Tom Brady. Potentially upgraded O-Line, and upgrades at RB to make defenses respect the run.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Price: Vertical Threat or Possession Receiver?

Here's my take:

He was drafted as a relatively raw WR out of a school with a run first mentality so we don't know how he'll fair at the NFL level, but what I will say is that he has the traits of a potential deep threat. 

Good size (6-1 204) with adequate upper body strength (16 reps at 225), great explosion of the snap and gets up to speed quickly (1.50 10 yard split), excellent straight line speed (4.40) with good suddenness and COD (6.82 3C).

Best case scenario, he's develops into a versatile WR that can "take the top off a defense" but can also impact in the short/intermediate game, using his speed, quicks, explosion and RAC ability to beat defenders.

As far as comparisons go, David Givens was a solid WR during his time in Foxboro, but he was a 4.56/1.57 guy, so I'm not sure that he's a good comparison.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Not so fast. If Smith, Mallett and Hoyer are all on the team, and BB likes to carry that extra OL and CB/S player, it comes down to special teams. Price doesn't play special teams. Tate and Edelman do.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Price: Vertical Threat or Possession Receiver? Here's my take: He was drafted as a relatively raw WR out of a school with a run first mentality so we don't know how he'll fair at the NFL level, but what I will say is that he has the traits of a potential deep threat.   Good size (6-1 204) with adequate upper body strength (16 reps at 225), great explosion of the snap and gets up to speed quickly (1.50 10 yard split), excellent straight line speed (4.40) with good suddenness and COD (6.82 3C). Best case scenario, he's develops into a versatile WR that can "take the top off a defense" but can also impact in the short/intermediate game, using his speed, quicks, explosion and RAC ability to beat defenders. As far as comparisons go, David Givens was a solid WR during his time in Foxboro, but he was a 4.56/1.57 guy, so I'm not sure that he's a good comparison.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I agree mb, he has all the tools to turn into that guy.

With the team maybe having more traditinal 2 WR sets and power run Price will be more familiar since it will be more as to what he did in college.  Either way I think Price will be a sure handed, good route runner than for a few plays a game will be told turn on the burners and beat everyone deep.

The big key is how good he becomes releasing from the line, if he gets good at it then he will be able to do what ever he wants because of his skills.

He can plant and turn very well, routes are not bad actually pretty impressed with his cuts of what I saw.  I think this draft if he looks and looks like a running type O developing he'll be jumping up and down.  I think this kid is a competitor and wants to help the team this only speeds up him getting into the starting mix.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In my opinion, speed has little bearing in a hybrid West Coast offense like this one. It's about separation and how you run the route. Givens could run a route. Speed is bordering on irrelevant. Look at Bethel Johnson. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Speed isn't irrelevent at all, Bethel Johnson just wasn't a good WR. 

I agree that route running is important and plays a role in gaining seperation in coverage, but without vertical speed, you're not going to consistently beat your man down the field or require much in terms of safety help.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed.  I am not saying he isn;t fast, but you aren't getting seperation without having the football IQ and seperation. He's not that fast.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Something I found on him, also at his pro day he improved his 40 time and a mid 4.3s.  That's fast on my book, combine that time with his ability to get in and out of cuts and he's got a very good chance to develop into a #1 WR but will take time.  In 2011 I see him getting looks at that LWR spot even slot at times, he will be a miss match against team's #3 and #4 CBs.

Ohio receiver Taylor Price gained a lot of buzz as a potential sleeper after running the 40 in 4.41, the second fastest time in the receiver group. Price’s time tied with SMU receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who also is quietly sneaking up the draft boards. Here’s what McShay had to say about both players:

A few under-the-radar prospects had big days on Sunday, starting with Ohio's Taylor Price. We had our eye on Price coming in and he did not disappoint with an official 40 time of 4.41 -- second-best among wideouts -- and a 37-inch vertical.

We like the way Price runs routes and drops his weight in and out of breaks, and he showed soft, natural hands when securing balls during the gauntlet. Add his speed to all the other traits he has and it's easy to see why we feel Price would be a steal in the third round.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Price had a 4.35 40 time ... that is about as fast as it gets in the NFL. Even the best corners have that time, and they still have to backpedal, turn and run before they can start the footrace.

However, being a deep threat takes much more than speed. Otherwise, Tate would be reeling the TDs in, and he isn't. Chad Jackson would have been amazing. Bethel Johnson the next James Lofton. 

If Price can nail the underneath routes, he can go deep and still draw safeties even if it isn't his forte.

Also, if he can be a monster YAC WR, it is as good as being a deep threat, because it would still bring a safety over to his side of the field at all times. Deion Branch wasn't an amzing deep threat, but he was always in the heads of the opposing safeties based on what he could do with the ball after he caught it. 

That said, Price hasn't shown anything really ... so I try not to get too excited. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

ZB,,,excitement about the upcoming season os all we have since the UNiON decided to go the court route.....and besidesm, its fun to discuss who will make the team.....Because their are going to be cuts of last years team.. So who will stay is important...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

This guy has been in WR 101 for a year in the Patriots system.  He's known as smart and having all the physical tools, and the Pats took him in the third. 

I'm expecting great things from him... I see him as a mix of Branch and Givens if that makes anyt sense... he's bigger than average for a Pats receiver and has the speed and quickness to compliment his game.  

Maybe I'm too excited about someone who has really played, but there is a lot of potential there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla-2010. Show MVPkilla-2010's posts

All my coaching buddy's have been saying since we drafted him that he would be awesome once he learned the pro game. Not this IMO but next year will be his coming out party

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I once said he is David Givens with another gear; size, physique wise they're very similar.  He has all the talent in the world, if he's humble he can be as great as he wants to be.  I'd project him as an wide out threat on the wide side, they said he has soft hands, with his size, mobility and speed that's all you need.

Price is the fastest guy on the Patriots in John Madden Football, that's enough for me...