Not sure if you noticed this about the Defense or not, but..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Not sure if you noticed this about the Defense or not, but..

They're the #3 ranked scoring defense in the NFL. 

Giving up 14 points a game through 7 weeks.  Pretty good for all of the new faces on that D, trading Seymour, and losing Mayo for a few weeks!

But here's the kicker... All of the teams that have allowed fewer points this season have only played 6 games.

Broncos with 66 points.  Colts with 77 points.  Packers and Redskins with 96 points.

Patriots with 98 points allowed.

That's very encouraging in my opinion, especially considering some of the teams we've played so far.  They seem to be getting better and better each week as they get more and more comfortable with every game, so hopefully it will only improve. 

I could see them finishing the season in the top 3 in scoring defense, to be honest.  Even though they play the Colts and Saints, I don't think those will be very high scoring (maybe in the 20's).

Anyone else notice this or have anything to add to it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Not sure if you noticed this about the Defense or not, but..

In Response to Not sure if you noticed this about the Defense or not, but..:
    [QUOTE]They're the #3 ranked scoring defense in the NFL.  Giving up 14 points a game through 7 weeks.  Pretty good for all of the new faces on that D, trading Seymour, and losing Mayo for a few weeks! But here's the kicker... All of the teams that have allowed fewer points this season have only played 6 games. Broncos with 66 points.  Colts with 77 points.  Packers and Redskins with 96 points. Patriots with 98 points allowed. That's very encouraging in my opinion, especially considering some of the teams we've played so far.  They seem to be getting better and better each week as they get more and more comfortable with every game, so hopefully it will only improve.  I could see them finishing the season in the top 3 in scoring defense, to be honest.  Even though they play the Colts and Saints, I don't think those will be very high scoring (maybe in the 20's). Anyone else notice this or have anything to add to it?
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]

What's more, out of those 98 points allowed, 14 were scored by the opposing defenses off turnovers (1 interception return, 1 fumble return).  So in reality, the Patriots defense has given up 84 points in 7 games, an average of 12 points per game.  Outstanding.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yes, our D is pretty awesome.  And it will look even better when Manning, Brees and Ronnie Brown are running for their life next month (left out Sanchez because he'll be too busy eating hot dogs on the sideline to get in the game). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

They're also tied for 4th in the NFL in takeaways with 12, New Orleans leads the NFL with 15.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Not sure if you noticed this or not, but..

In Response to Not sure if you noticed this or not, but..:
    [QUOTE]They're the #3 ranked scoring defense in the NFL.  Giving up 14 points a game through 7 weeks.  Pretty good for all of the new faces on that D, trading Seymour, and losing Mayo for a few weeks! But here's the kicker... All of the teams that have allowed fewer points this season have only played 6 games. Broncos with 66 points.  Colts with 77 points.  Packers and Redskins with 96 points. Patriots with 98 points allowed. That's very encouraging in my opinion, especially considering some of the teams we've played so far.  They seem to be getting better and better each week as they get more and more comfortable with every game, so hopefully it will only improve.  I could see them finishing the season in the top 3 in scoring defense, to be honest.  Even though they play the Colts and Saints, I don't think those will be very high scoring (maybe in the 20's). Anyone else notice this or have anything to add to it?
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to that Colts game to gauge this defense. One thing I love is that for the first time in about 3 or 4 years we are getting more aggressive and letting our db's play up WR's. I hope we see more of that. I know it's because we didn't have the personnel in the past to cover on the outside. Assante Samuel was the only guy worth his check back there and Rodney was getting slower every year. It appears as though they are able to get decent pressure this year when they blitz also. We're still building and I don't expect to see the best from our Defense until December but it should be pretty good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Yep!

Could it be another great defense in the making?  I'm really hoping so!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I still say it's early, but I'm optimistic.  They are playing much better than I expected they would. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

In Response to Re: Not sure if you noticed this about the Defense or not, but..:
    [QUOTE]Yes, our D is pretty awesome.  And it will look even better when Manning, Brees and Ronnie Brown are running for their life next month (left out Sanchez because he'll be too busy eating hot dogs on the sideline to get in the game). 
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]
    By then,Sanchez might already be released, and he'll be serving hotdogs in one of the stadiums concession stands...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

loving the D as well but still waiting on Manning and Brees to see what this squad is made of.  Orton drove all over the Pats in the Broncos win and Flacco had a commanding game until Clayton dropped that 4th and 2 pass.  Lets not get too crazy especially considering 5 turnovers came against the pathetic Titans and 3 came against the Bucs.  Still looking promising tho.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: Not sure if you noticed this about the Defense or not, but..:
    [QUOTE]loving the D as well but still waiting on Manning and Brees to see what this squad is made of.  Orton drove all over the Pats in the Broncos win and Flacco had a commanding game until Clayton dropped that 4th and 2 pass.  Lets not get too crazy especially considering 5 turnovers came against the pathetic Titans and 3 came against the Bucs.  Still looking promising tho.
    Posted by grego84[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the bigger challenges are ahead but I am glad that the defense is working through some positional options on lesser opponents at this point.  No sense is getting your young guys schooled by a Manning or Brees early, by scheduling luck, the Pats can work their way, get more on field experience going into their tougher games.  Nod to BB who's getting his young guns some playing time, Chung, Butler, Pryor - that is smart ball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

This D is for real. Maybe people haven't noticed that Belichick is still playing pre-season with the RCB, but we haven't even played in our true defense. This is just a gauge of the personnel. Once Belichick inserts Butler at the right the missing 11th player will jell with the group and shutdown the right side. 

I think we can handle Brees, but my concern lies with the QB I love to hate in Sayton Manning. Pre-2005 we use to own this guy, now he is mega-Manning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Not sure if you noticed this or not, but..

In Response to Not sure if you noticed this or not, but..:
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE] yes they are getting better.but im not gonna get encoureged by two beat downs on two bad winless teams.now after the bye week the pats true tests will come.