Numbers lie...well, sort of

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Numbers lie...well, sort of

The numbers say that Rob Ninkovich was the best DE in New England this season and the Pats need him if they're to make a run in the playoffs, right?  Wrong, now while I'm happy for Ninokovich's prodcutive season, I'm tired of some people acting like I'm blind and I'm not paying attention or I'm a hater. I'm not, I'd love it if Rob Ninkovich were Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware, but he's not. Let me say that this article is not a Rob Ninkovich bashing article, it's a setting the record straight posting for a comment in another thread (from rkarp). 

No, I said clemons is a defensive play maker getting sacks, qb pressures and forced fumbles like Nink. I happen to think is very good, but not as good as Clemons. I think they are both superior to Jones

Now, any one who looks at Ninkovich's 58 tackles, 8 sacks, 5 FFs, 1 PD with 5 stuffs for 17 yards in comparrison to Chandler Jones's 44 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 FFs, 5 PDs with 4 stuffs for 15 yard would vehemently agree, right? Maybe, but here's why numbers lie. Keep in mind that Rob Ninkovich played in all 16 games or 15 1/2 games this season while Chandler played in 12 1/2 games while nursing an ankle injury, to boot, because when it comes to all around pressure Nink's lack of production truly comes in play. 

In 15 1/2 games this season, Rob Ninkovich recorded 7 QB hits and 22 QB hurries while facing off against one on one a good majortiy of the time. Consequently, the rookie Jones has recorded 9 QB hits with 29 QB hurries while he probably faces double teams on a good 30% of his plays. This was probably the last time Jones saw single coverage all game this year and I'm excited to see what he'll bring in the post-season. 

His ankle seems ready to go and the extra week ought to help. Also, if BB starts Trevor Scott over Ninkovich, don't act like it would effect the outcome of the game for better or worst. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Numbers lie...well, sort of

I dont think there si any question that Chandler Jones is a better player than Nink. P.S. Thanks for posting the Titans game clip! THat was awesome had forgotten about that! Jones the sack Hightower the recovery and TD!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Not sure your point 49? nink is not jared Allen or Ware....um yeah. He is surely a good football player though who has some versatility to him. Chandler Jones is a rookie who i think most agree has nowhere to go but up! Good 1st year for Jones, and a break out year for Nink.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

"Let me say that this article is not a Rob Ninkovich bashing article..."

Except it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure your point 49? nink is not jared Allen or Ware....um yeah. He is surely a good football player though who has some versatility to him. Chandler Jones is a rookie who i think most agree has nowhere to go but up! Good 1st year for Jones, and a break out year for Nink.

[/QUOTE]

My point is that rkarp was wrong. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even call it a break out year. Nink has been a pretty consistent contributor the past few seasons even though some like to hate on him. Obviously not a stud rusher like you mentioned but a very capable role player who has done a tremendous job for this defense all year. My favorite stat is 5 forced fumbles and 4 recoveries. Dude has a nose for the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Except it is.

[/QUOTE]

Oh really, where did I bash him?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Nink def. started slow this year and picked it up midseason( i chalk that up to switching from LB to DE) and C.Jones started quick and had a setback with injury and maybe the rookie wall.

Nink has always been the player BB likes to have on the field because he wont be caught in the wrong position that much and does all the fundamental things but his playmaking has not been consistent but has been timely this year. I thnk they both compliment each other because Nink started playing better when teams payed more attention to C.J. and thats supposed to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Except it is.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"...because when it comes to all around pressure Nink's lack of production truly comes in play."

"Also, if BB starts Trevor Scott over Ninkovich, don't act like it would effect the outcome of the game for better or worst."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Except it is.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"...because when it comes to all around pressure Nink's lack of production truly comes in play."

"Also, if BB starts Trevor Scott over Ninkovich, don't act like it would effect the outcome of the game for better or worst."

[/QUOTE]

Facts aren't bashing, champ. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Obviously the coaching staff doesn't think those are facts.  How else would you explain the number of snaps that he has played this year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Except it is.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Those certainly are 'bashing' statements. Whether or not they're factual is irrelevant.

Let's not pretend that the premise of this thread isn't critical of Nink. You're singling him out and stating why he's overrated by fans, and why he's not a good player. 

It's better to just be upfront and honest, and say something along the lines of, "I don't like Nink, I think he's an overrated player, and here's my interpretation of a few statistics that back up my opinion."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Obviously the coaching staff doesn't think those are facts.  How else would you explain the number of snaps that he has played this year?

[/QUOTE]

Coaches are human too, they make mistakes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you're criticizing Belichick's coaching? Coaches make mistakes -- fair enough, but you seem to be implying that they've been making a big mistake for 17 weeks in a row. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

you think the pats are making a mistake by starting ninkovich? you cant be serious with that one. if you think chandler jones is a better player, that is fine and i tend to agree with you....but you are just foolish if you think ninkovich doesnt help this team when hes out there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you're criticizing Belichick's coaching? Coaches make mistakes -- fair enough, but you seem to be implying that they've been making a big mistake for 17 weeks in a row. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, not 17 weeks in a row, just ever since the Ravens game where he had 2 tackles, 0 pressures, 0 stuffs. I still won't say it has been a mistake because I just thought Nink was better than the bench, but I was wrong. 

Trevor Scott = 3.5 sacks, 5 hurries and 10 QB hurries. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you think the pats are making a mistake by starting ninkovich? you cant be serious with that one. if you think chandler jones is a better player, that is fine and i tend to agree with you....but you are just foolish if you think ninkovich doesnt help this team when hes out there.

[/QUOTE]

Very, Trevor Scott lined up with Chandler Jones last game was fantastic. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ninkovich lined up with Chandler Jones was even better. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I never said you bashed him 49, and I agree RKARP is usually wrong. As BB would say, when is the last time Rkarp has been right about anything?

Alright, the Robert Gallery thing, that's it!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    i like trevor scott playing some snaps, but ninkovich is a bigger playmaker