O'Brien - Can't Compare to Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: O'Brien - Can't Compare to Brady

In response to PhatttVirgin's comment:

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/02/houston_texans_coach_bill_obri.html

"INDIANAPOLIS – Bill O’Brien has a problem.

He spent years watching Tom Brady lead the New England offense while serving as the quarterbacks coach and later as the offensive coordinator. In other words, part of his job was to watch greatness on a daily basis.

But now the head coach of the Houston Texans, O’Brien knows that he has to distance himself from that experience and be careful to not allow Brady to set his standard for quarterback play.

Holding onto that would be unfair.

“In my opinion, you can’t compare guys to Tom Brady,” O’Brien said. “Guys like Tom Brady don’t come along all that often. He’s a great player, has had tremendous success in New England.

“You have to look at each player for what he is, individually, and how he fits your team. Whether he’s a quarterback or any other position.”

That’s a good approach, considering that O’Brien will likely be in the market for a quarterback during the draft, and it’s doubtful that he will find the next Brady in the pool of prospects. So instead, O’Brien will move forward with whoever he thinks is the best fit for his system.

As for his new job, O’Brien believes that his experiences in New England and later as the head coach of Penn State have helped prepare him for the role. In particular, he believes watching Bill Belichick prepare for games will prove to be valuable lessons.

“I've learned a lot from him. Between how to get ready for a game -- prepare a team for a game -- to evaluating your roster and getting ready for the draft, he and I have a good relationship,” O’Brien said. “I've seen him here. It's been good to see him. I think all of us who coached there from Bill learned a lot from him. I think I've said that a bunch in the past.”

Send Tom to Texans for the #1 and their next available pick. I'm just sayin'!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Send Tom to Texans for the #1 and another pick. I'm just sayin'!

[/QUOTE]

They don't need Brady, they have the #1 pick.  He's picking either Bortles or Menziel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He spent years watching Tom Brady lead the New England offense while serving as the quarterbacks coach and later as the offensive coordinator. In other words, part of his job was to watch greatness on a daily basis.

But now the head coach of the Houston Texans, O’Brien knows that he has to distance himself from that experience and be careful to not allow Brady to set his standard for quarterback play.

“In my opinion, you can’t compare guys to Tom Brady,” O’Brien said. “Guys like Tom Brady don’t come along all that often. He’s a great player, has had tremendous success in New England.

“You have to look at each player for what he is, individually, and how he fits your team. Whether he’s a quarterback or any other position.”

That’s a good approach, considering that O’Brien will likely be in the market for a quarterback during the draft, and it’s doubtful that he will find the next Brady in the pool of prospects. So instead, O’Brien will move forward with whoever he thinks is the best fit for his system.

As for his new job, O’Brien believes that his experiences in New England and later as the head coach of Penn State have helped prepare him for the role. In particular, he believes watching Bill Belichick prepare for games will prove to be valuable lessons.

“I've learned a lot from him. Between how to get ready for a game -- prepare a team for a game -- to evaluating your roster and getting ready for the draft, he and I have a good relationship,” O’Brien said. “I've seen him here. It's been good to see him. I think all of us who coached there from Bill learned a lot from him. I think I've said that a bunch in the past.”

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. That's the least BB could do, since he saddled Brady with mediocrity around him for too many years here, denying him 2-3 more rings.

Really, BB should be ashamed of himself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. That's the least BB could do, since he saddled Brady with mediocrity around him for too many years here, denying him 2-3 more rings.

[/QUOTE]

Well, Babe, no matter the history of this, or who did what, it would be the best move for the next 10-years. I know it would never happen for many reasons, not the least of which is the fan base and thier love for Tommy. I love Tom Brady too. At the end of the day, we have one more legit year of TOM being able to make the difference. Hopefully BB gives him what he needs to be successful this year. I believe this is Tom's last real shot and the PATS need to treat it as such. I think they can, and will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, Babe, no matter the history of this, or who did what, it would be the best move for the next 10-years. I know it would never happen for many reasons, not the least of which is the fan base and thier love for Tommy. I love Tom Brady too. At the end of the day, we have one more legit year of TOM being able to make the difference. Hopefully BB gives him what he needs to be successful this year. I believe this is Tom's last real shot and the PATS need to treat it as such. I think they can, and will.

[/QUOTE]

Considering BB's track record, the picks he got for Tom would be ill used, and we sink anyway.

Keeping Tom would only give us a few more years of relevancy. Might as well trade him, let him have a shot at a ring elsewhere, and finally expose BB completely, therefore allowing another direction that might someday get us back to hoisting another championship banner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Send Tom to Texans for the #1 and their next available pick. I'm just sayin'!"

What a relief no one of import takes your delusions seriously.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

OB will take either Bortles or Bridgewater. I don't think he will want a loose cannon he will have a hard time controlling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Send Tom to Texans for the #1 and their next available pick. I'm just sayin'!"

What a relief no one of import takes your delusions seriously.

Spoken like a true pink hat..........TB is in delcine with maybe one more "elite"-ish year left. Do the math. We all love Tom for what he ahs done, not for what he will do over the next 5-years. So, if this were all about only winning, it is exactly the right strategy to move hi to the highest bidder this spring. Won't happen, but that doens't mean it wouldn't be the best move.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Considering BB's track record, the picks he got for Tom would be ill used, and we sink anyway.

Keeping Tom would only give us a few more years of relevancy. Might as well trade him, let him have a shot at a ring elsewhere, and finally expose BB completely, therefore allowing another direction that might someday get us back to hoisting another championship banner.

[/QUOTE] You folks crack me up! BB is the same coach who game planned 11 victories out of bum named Cassels, a guy who hadn't started at QB since High School! Don't sell BB short, his team still won 12 regular season games and 1 playoff game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] You folks crack me up! BB is the same coach who game planned 11 victories out of bum named Cassels, a guy who hadn't started at QB since High School! Don't sell BB short, his team still won 12 regular season games and 1 playoff game.

[/QUOTE]

But they still didn't make the playoffs.. If it were to happen again the second time might not work out.. If you lose Tom Brady at any point the way the team is constructed at this point your SB dreams are gone. Of course unless you have a  hidden gem on the bench no one knows about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, you homers crack us realist up.

Do you really see that happening with those receivers and this defense?

The 2008 team was sightly more stacked and and they beat no one and didn't make the play-offs, so...........

Bwahaha

That's all he could do with this team and a HOF QB and you think some bum is going to come in and do that?  Bradys 5 last minute wins means 7-9 without him at best , probably more like 4-12.

That's reality.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, you homers crack us realist up.

Do you really see that happening with those receivers and this defense?

The 2008 team was sightly more stacked and and they beat no one and didn't make the play-offs, so...........

Bwahaha

That's all he could do with this team and a HOF QB and you think some bum is going to come in and do that?  Bradys 5 last minute wins means 7-9 without him at best , probably more like 4-12.

That's reality.

[/QUOTE]

Some people not all think anybody can step in behind center and go 12-4 lol. Let me tell you something if you don't have a Seattle or SF DEFENSE nobody's going anywhere. I don't care who the coach is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree. 

yes, Brady is in decline, but I would argue he has more than 1 more elite year left. I think it is more like 3, and, if we got the defense to play top 5, we don't need Brady at an elite level. 

Part of me is curious to see what would happen if Brady played the pats defense. I don't think Brady is a player that ever, ever gets traded. He means too much to this franchise from a historical and value perspective. Plus he can still win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you mean like when he was exposed in 2008 when he lost Brady in the first half of the first game of the season, and finished 11-5 with Cassell at QB?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good luck to O'Brien - or anyone else - trying to find a QB like Brady to save your franchise...these guys don't grow on trees. I've watched this guy for over a decade absolutely ruin defense's game plans...a team like Miami...they come in here, they have some pass rushers, they have some players, they circle this game on their calendar, their fans are all excited that this will finally be their year...and then Brady just kills it. 

Imagine going against us - you think you have everything under control - you haven't turned the ball over, you are scoring points, you got a few breaks...then Brady just starts shreading your defense alive. I like watching those coordinators when this starts happening, they start yelling, they start writing all over their dry erase boards...but none of it helps, you can't stop somebody like him. It's a shame this magic carpet ride will be over most likely before we know it.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good luck to O'Brien - or anyone else - trying to find a QB like Brady to save your franchise...these guys don't grow on trees. I've watched this guy for over a decade absolutely ruin defense's game plans...a team like Miami...they come in here, they have some pass rushers, they have some players, they circle this game on their calendar, their fans are all excited that this will finally be their year...and then Brady just kills it. 

Imagine going against us - you think you have everything under control - you haven't turned the ball over, you are scoring points, you got a few breaks...then Brady just starts shreading your defense alive. I like watching those coordinators when this starts happening, they start yelling, they start writing all over their dry erase boards...but none of it helps, you can't stop somebody like him. It's a shame this magic carpet ride will be over most likely before we know it.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, we've also seen Brady do the opposite and crap that bed, on numerous ocassions, especially lately in the postseason.

If teams play zone, he kills it. If they can rush 4 or 5 and cover in man, his shotgun spread addiction is compromised with ease. It affects the O Line and the RBs as well.

I don't know what you've been watching lately, but crappier Ds don't go against Brady and this offense in the postseason.

One more crap postseason from him and I am going to be pining for the next QB to turn to as a Pats fan. The utter pain of living in the past thinking it's the Brady of 2006, will just be too much to bear as a diehard.

The pretending has got to stop. If Brady wants to race into Canton before starting his political or modeling career, that's great, it's his business. But, don't make it mine.  Go ahead and retire so someone else can get in there, get their feet wet and grow in the role to help win a SB. The franchise shouldn't be hijacked just to get Brady a 4th ring.

[/QUOTE]

Unless BB's s hitty defense is fixed, they will not see another ring and I don't care who the QB is.

No team in NFL history has ever won a SB with a horrendous PD, 3rd down D and now, a pathetic run D.  They are too easily exploited, keeping TB on the bench and against much better defenses when he's not.

No one ever has and no one ever will.

Hopefully Lombardi can help because it's painfully obvious BB will NEVER fix this D on his own.

It's absolutely horrendous that of the 21 DB's, BB has drafted in his tenure, that only two have sniffed a probowl (one out of position) and only one DB drafted prior to 2012 is still on the team.    What's that, a 5% success rate? LOL

They also haven't been in the top 10 in sacks since 2007 until LY..  

Talib has helped but the over-all talent and DEPTH is sorely lacking.

Stunning lack of accomplishment for a so-called, defensive genius and don't even get me started on the receivers or lack of them, more appropriately.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, we've also seen Brady do the opposite and crap that bed, on numerous ocassions, especially lately in the postseason.

If teams play zone, he kills it. If they can rush 4 or 5 and cover in man, his shotgun spread addiction is compromised with ease. It affects the O Line and the RBs as well.

I don't know what you've been watching lately, but crappier Ds don't go against Brady and this offense in the postseason.

One more crap postseason from him and I am going to be pining for the next QB to turn to as a Pats fan. The utter pain of living in the past thinking it's the Brady of 2006, will just be too much to bear as a diehard.

The pretending has got to stop. If Brady wants to race into Canton before starting his political or modeling career, that's great, it's his business. But, don't make it mine.  Go ahead and retire so someone else can get in there, get their feet wet and grow in the role to help win a SB. The franchise shouldn't be hijacked just to get Brady a 4th ring.

[/QUOTE]

Unless BB's s hitty defense is fixed, they will not see another ring and I don't care who the QB is.

No team in NFL history has ever won a SB with a horrendous PD, 3rd down D and now, a pathetic run D.  They are too easily exploited, keeping TB on the bench and against much better defenses when he's not.

No one ever has and no one ever will.

Hopefully Lombardi can help because it's painfully obvious BB will NEVER fix this D on his own.

It's absolutely horrendous that of the 21 DB's, BB has drafted in his tenure, that only two have sniffed a probowl (one out of position) and only one DB drafted prior to 2012 is still on the team.    What's that, a 5% success rate? LOL

They also haven't been in the top 10 in sacks since 2007 until LY..  

Talib has helped but the over-all talent and DEPTH is sorely lacking.

Stunning lack of accomplishment for a so-called, defensive genius and don't even get me started on the receivers or lack of them, more appropriately.

[/QUOTE]

Don't expect the rusty one to acknowledge the obvious. It's almost,too simple of a reason .