O'Connell Playing this Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rimfire. Show Rimfire's posts

O'Connell Playing this Year

On another thread ("What Do You Think?")  Bubthegrub made a good point that O'Connell would (hopefully) have little or no impact this year because he wouldn't need to play.  While I certainly agree with Bub about hoping O'Connell doesn't *need* to play, it left me wondering if it might not be a good idea for him to actually get in some real game time--for example when the Pats have cinched the game early enough to take Brady out (memories of some of the 07 games comer to mind).

Let's be honest, last year Cassel played the worst early in the season when his lack of real game experience was a factor and (thankfully) showed real improvement as the season progressed and he gained more experience.  How does everyone feel about the idea of deliberately putting in O'Connell (assuming he ends up being the #2 QB) when the circumstances allow it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: O'Connell Playing this Year

Brady and Moss might have other goals...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am ok with him seeing some action in blow out and the like. I however am not ok with them benching starting if we clinch a playoff spot or a first round bye week. I hate it when teams do that i would rather see us go all out and not be rusty. Teams liek tegh colts do that sh*t we dont need to do that. But in blow outs sure why not throw the kid in there and see what he can do. He has a cannon for an arm so he can still hit Moss deep.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I personally would like to see it but BB for some reason does not like to give the backup QB significant playing time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I agree that we should have a back up ready that has in game experience. That's why I would love to see them bring in a veteran who has had starting experience elsewhere. Think about when we had Testeverde, or when the Steelers leaned on Byron Leftwich.

There are veterans that can be had for a late draft pick or less and I would rather have them then O'Connell. I have heard about all the potential he has, but Michael Bishop had a ton of potential too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I'm reminding of a game in 07 where they put Cassel in to give Tom a rest in the 3rd quarter. His first pass was a TD...to Jason Taylor! While on the surface it sounds like a decent idea to get the backup some game experience, I don't know if it's practical. After a year off Brady will need to get back into the swing of things. Though they may blow some teams out (and we'll hear the "running up the score" whine again), still they need to be ready for January. And in the playoffs you can usually count on a closer game, where they'll need to play well for the entire sixty minutes. I do agree with not "resting" guys after they clinched, though. The only time I remember them doing that was in 05. Perhaps had they played Brady then they'd have gone to Indy then had the Steelers in the AFCCG in Foxboro. I'm still hoping to see O'Connell spend the entire season on the sidelines with a clipboard!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Re: O'Connell Playing this Year:
    [QUOTE]I'm reminding of a game in 07 where they put Cassel in to give Tom a rest in the 3rd quarter. His first pass was a TD...to Jason Taylor! While on the surface it sounds like a decent idea to get the backup some game experience, I don't know if it's practical. After a year off Brady will need to get back into the swing of things. Though they may blow some teams out (and we'll hear the "running up the score" whine again), still they need to be ready for January. And in the playoffs you can usually count on a closer game, where they'll need to play well for the entire sixty minutes. I do agree with not "resting" guys after they clinched, though. The only time I remember them doing that was in 05. Perhaps had they played Brady then they'd have gone to Indy then had the Steelers in the AFCCG in Foxboro. I'm still hoping to see O'Connell spend the entire season on the sidelines with a clipboard!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE] In response to this and the other bloggers, IMO it is a great idea to have him get some real NFL experience. Consider that if he is a bust then they can obtain a replacement before it becomes necessary to put him in a must win situation. The worst it will do is determine if he has the ability to QB in the NFL and what he needs to work on. Tom terrific will not always be around and they need to begin to groom his replacement now. There is no question as to his ability as a true leader or his potential only can he put it all together on the field??? What say you??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rimfire. Show Rimfire's posts

[QUOTE]Brady and Moss might have other goals...
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

I understand your point--I am sure we all hope that this year might become a repeat of 07--but with a different ending, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to sacrifice an overall team benefit in the pursuit of a another record.  That seems to go against the basic of philosophy of BB that is, "team first".  Cassel did as well (actually better) than anyone expected IMO opinion but I also feel last year might have gone differently--given how well he and the rest of the team were playing at the end of the season--if they could have won one more game and gone to the play-offs.  If he had played better in the San Diego game, for example and the Pats had squeaked out a win--that would ahve really changed the complexion of the season and affected several teams playoff hopes (not just the Pats).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: O'Connell Playing this Year : In response to this and the other bloggers, IMO it is a great idea to have him get some real NFL experience. Consider that if he is a bust then they can obtain a replacement before it becomes necessary to put him in a must win situation. The worst it will do is determine if he has the ability to QB in the NFL and what he needs to work on. Tom terrific will not always be around and they need to begin to groom his replacement now. There is no question as to his ability as a true leader or his potential only can he put it all together on the field??? What say you??
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

It's only O'Connell's second year, so it wouldn't be fair to call him a "bust" should he play and not succeed. Let's not forget, Cassel had four years to absorb the playbook before being pressed to start. Whatever experience he may get in "mop up" time may not be that beneficial. I think he will have to prove himself in practice rather than any limited PT at the end of a sewn up game. It's true that eventually someone will have to take over for Brady (hopefully not until about 2015 or so). But I'm not sure O'Connell is the guy. Maybe if Brady was older, but by the time Tom decides to hang it up most likely O'Connell will have become a FA and moved on (or been released). I see them taking the same approach as they did with Cassel. Have him work on what he needs to in practices, and get his playing time in the preseason. Seldom have the Patriots actually pulled their starters in a game that counts. Unless Brady has some sort of injury they don't want to aggrivate, I can't see KO getting much PT in a regular season game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to O'Connell Playing this Year:
    [QUOTE]On another thread ("What Do You Think?")  Bubthegrub made a good point that O'Connell would (hopefully) have little or no impact this year because he wouldn't need to play.  While I certainly agree with Bub about hoping O'Connell doesn't *need* to play, it left me wondering if it might not be a good idea for him to actually get in some real game time--for example when the Pats have cinched the game early enough to take Brady out (memories of some of the 07 games comer to mind). Let's be honest, last year Cassel played the worst early in the season when his lack of real game experience was a factor and (thankfully) showed real improvement as the season progressed and he gained more experience.  How does everyone feel about the idea of deliberately putting in O'Connell (assuming he ends up being the #2 QB) when the circumstances allow it?
    Posted by Rimfire[/QUOTE]

This makes so much sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I am ok with him seeing some action in blow out and the like. I however am not ok with them benching starting if we clinch a playoff spot or a first round bye week. I hate it when teams do that i would rather see us go all out and not be rusty. Teams liek tegh colts do that sh*t we dont need to do that. But in blow outs sure why not throw the kid in there and see what he can do. He has a cannon for an arm so he can still hit Moss deep.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

You are WAAAAAAY ahead of yourself when talking about early clinching
    of anything.