Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

To the folks who say tipping on a take out is not customary, you are right. However I always tip on take out or dine in. When I was younger I had one of those menial jobs that relies on tips (bartender) and never forgot how difficult it was to make ends meet. But I think the point we are all missing is this guy has a $100 MILLION CONTRACT! Is throwing $10 or $20 down on a tip to the folks who prepped his food a big deal? "For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required." Luke 12:35

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]
    Don't go to restaurants where the service is so lousy you have to suffer. 

I mean really, where do you eat?  Get Zagat . .  fast!

oh, I see...so restaurants that are rated as having good food automatically means good service? I don't think so.  How stupid is that statement, duh.

[/QUOTE]

Zagat rates service too.  Obvious you never looked at it . . .

Please, really, maybe you get the service you get (if you really get such bad service) because everyone knows you don't pay.  When I worked in a restaurant we all knew the guys like you.  We let them sit in a corner for ever.  Why work for you if you're not going to pay?  You're not "entitled" to what you don't pay for either . . . 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]
    I had a day where I only had two customers in the restaurant. I provided great service and got $1.23 for my trouble on $40 in sales. Now the government assumed I got 12% on tips of my sales and taxed me on such. So at the end of the day it actually cost me more to pay the taxes for working then I made per hour and off of tips. I actually paid out of my pocket to work 4hrs that day!!!! It might be the customers choice but really, if you want to be cheap don't go out to eat.

well, you should be accountable for selecting a restaurant that doesn't have many customers or choosing a lousy shift.

[/QUOTE]

Now I know you didn't work in a restaurant. Anyone who has knows that sometimes you just have a day that no one goes out to eat and you also know you don't get to choose your schedule all the time. Sometimes you get the shifts you just get. You take the good with the bad just as you do with customers. But, people trying to justify not tipping like this should just not go out to eat. It's an assumed cost before you go out. It's not like servers blindside you after you get a check. You know they are expecting some form of a tip and work hard to get it. Stiffing them is liek you working hard to get a bonus all year and at the end of the year the company gives you nothing and then says, oh btw we are taking some extra money out of your check to cover our taxes this year. You'd be pissed if that happened to you so why are you doing it to a server?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    Don't go to restaurants where the service is so lousy you have to suffer. 

I mean really, where do you eat?  Get Zagat . .  fast!

oh, I see...so restaurants that are rated as having good food automatically means good service? I don't think so.  How stupid is that statement, duh.

[/QUOTE]

Zagat rates service too.  Obvious you never looked at it . . .

Please, really, maybe you get the service you get (if you really get such bad service) because everyone knows you don't pay.  When I worked in a restaurant we all knew the guys like you.  We let them sit in a corner for ever.  Why work for you if you're not going to pay?  You're not "entitled" to what you don't pay for either . . . 

[/QUOTE]

I never worked as a sever in a restrsant but id tip big to see all you guys fac to face with this disscusion.lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Any time this topic comes up you have bitter former waiters saying 20% tip is bare minimum as long as the waiter doesn't take a smash in your entree, and people who have never waited tables saying tips should be based on quality of service. 

I agree that the system is stupid and is just a way for restaurants to get away with paying its employees peanuts.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered Pizza Hut online and went in the store to pick it up.  Didn't even consider tipping.  Granted it was only 2 pizzas and breadsticks, not $74, but I don't think that matters.  The bill is for the food I ordered.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    I had a day where I only had two customers in the restaurant. I provided great service and got $1.23 for my trouble on $40 in sales. Now the government assumed I got 12% on tips of my sales and taxed me on such. So at the end of the day it actually cost me more to pay the taxes for working then I made per hour and off of tips. I actually paid out of my pocket to work 4hrs that day!!!! It might be the customers choice but really, if you want to be cheap don't go out to eat.

well, you should be accountable for selecting a restaurant that doesn't have many customers or choosing a lousy shift.

[/QUOTE]

Now I know you didn't work in a restaurant. Anyone who has knows that sometimes you just have a day that no one goes out to eat and you also know you don't get to choose your schedule all the time. Sometimes you get the shifts you just get. You take the good with the bad just as you do with customers. But, people trying to justify not tipping like this should just not go out to eat. It's an assumed cost before you go out. It's not like servers blindside you after you get a check. You know they are expecting some form of a tip and work hard to get it. Stiffing them is liek you working hard to get a bonus all year and at the end of the year the company gives you nothing and then says, oh btw we are taking some extra money out of your check to cover our taxes this year. You'd be pissed if that happened to you so why are you doing it to a server?

[/QUOTE]

Also, as anyone who's worked in a restaurant knows, when you're just starting, you tend to get all the crappy shifts.  The longer service people try to get the good shifts (which also, by the way, are the hardest to work because you're going constantly). I had to work a lot of slow lunches for practically no money before I got those far more lucrative Friday evening shifts.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I'm sure Eng did better than that most days or he'd be working somewhere else.  But he only did better because most people aren't stingy-arse SOBs like you and NAS. 

Whether Eng did or didn't isn't the point, is it?  I just don't happen to be one of those kinds of people who like to force my opinions on others like you. I respect Eng's opinion, I just don't agree with it. You don't like my opinion - tough. You don't know me. I tip according to the quality of service I that is received. That's different from someone who doesn't tip at all.

Since obviously haven't read any of the previous posts - you come off as being the real SOB here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Some pretty strong opinions here. 

I'll ask my question to those who thinking tipping on takeout orders is expected - Do you tip your McDonald's (or any other fastfood) cashier? 

Anyone care to answer?

Usually people who are employed at fast food restaurants like that aren't allowed to take tips or they can be fired. Hence there never being a tip jar at a place like that. I like to support small businesses so I usually go out to the little mom and pop shops and throw a dollar or two in their tip jar for my takeout order.

Responding to Anonymis:

[QUOTE]

Because it's still the consumer's choice to tip. It's the consumer's choice to go out to eat or not.

[/QUOTE]

Really? You live in a culture where tipping is expected and people rely on them to live. If you can't afford to dine in and tip what is expected assuming good service, then you probably shouldn't be going out to eat in the first place.

If you can afford to tip and choose not to because you don't believe in it then you are just a greedy jerk making excuses to hoarde your money. Let me guess, you are one of those people who try to plant hairs in the food to get it taken off your bill as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[/QUOTE]

actually, I'm using an extreme....of course I know there are slow shifts. That's that nature of the restaurant business depending on ur hours.

The whole point of this thread is whether a tip is warranted for takeout - which the answer is no.

The other part of this thread is how much to tip. I'm saying you tip according to the service one receives.  And you don't think that's fair? Lordy......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Mike-J-D's comment:

Any time this topic comes up you have bitter former waiters saying 20% tip is bare minimum as long as the waiter doesn't take a smash in your entree, and people who have never waited tables saying tips should be based on quality of service. 

I agree that the system is stupid and is just a way for restaurants to get away with paying its employees peanuts.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered Pizza Hut online and went in the store to pick it up.  Didn't even consider tipping.  Granted it was only 2 pizzas and breadsticks, not $74, but I don't think that matters.  The bill is for the food I ordered.

Big difference between Pizza Hut where people are paid above minimum wage and are paid to essentially be cooks and make you bad pizza compared to a restaurant service. You don't tip the cooks at restaurants or hosts who seat you because they are paid better to do those jobs. Servers are paid just enough to cover taxes and live off of your tips for the service they provide. I don't think a single ex server will say you have to tip 20% min but we all do because we know how difficult it is and like to give that little bit extra. You should tip based on service but you should also not tip just because you don't feel like it or because you don't think you should have to tip based on the order and unless they did take a smash in your food (which it could have been the cook not them) you should always leaves a tip to servers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Really? You live in a culture where tipping is expected and people rely on them to live. If you can't afford to dine in and tip what is expected assuming good service, then you probably shouldn't be going out to eat in the first place.

If you can afford to tip and choose not to because you don't believe in it then you are just a greedy jerk making excuses to hoarde your money. Let me guess, you are one of those people who try to plant hairs in the food to get it taken off your bill as well.

Like I said, I tip according to the quality of service received.  What is wrong with that? please explain how hard that concept is to understand?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Nope. Never have done that.  But is that what you've done when you didn't get that tip you feel entitled to?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

actually, I'm using an extreme....of course I know there are slow shifts. That's that nature of the restaurant business depending on ur hours.

The whole point of this thread is whether a tip is warranted for takeout - which the answer is no.

The other part of this thread is how much to tip. I'm saying you tip according to the service one receives.  And you don't think that's fair? Lordy......

The thread developed into more than just take out tip and if you noticed my first post I did say take out you don't need to tip.

As for your second point I said all along you tip on service provided but that amount seems to vary and it stemmed from NAS saying $4 for just him and $10 for a table regardless of bill size. That brought up the point that servers get taxed on assumed tips so him doing that might be costing the server money to provide you a service. And you seemed to think that was fair. Lordy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

As for your second point I said all along you tip on service provided but that amount seems to vary and it stemmed from NAS saying $4 for just him and $10 for a table regardless of bill size. That brought up the point that servers get taxed on assumed tips so him doing that might be costing the server money to provide you a service. And you seemed to think that was fair. Lordy

Wrong.  I didn't make a comment either way about the fairness of getting taxed. That being said, servers are aware of what happens when they work in the restaurant industry - whether that tax is fair or not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The thread developed into more than just take out tip and if you noticed my first post I did say take out you don't need to tip.

Along with his "Get a better job if you don't like it" comments. Obvious failure to realize how people sometimes have no choice for the time being.

Anonymis, you say that you worked in the restaurant business for a while, but I could tell that you were either an entitled son of an owner or you are a liar. If you really worked in the restaurant business then you would have the same feelings on tipping as every single former server I have ever met. Service also reallyl depends on what the situation is. What do you do when you sit down at a restaurant and you have a waitress who is working 10+ tables and struggling to get orders/drinks out? Do you tip her poorly because of that? I know that I can see the girl is busting her butt and deserves some compensation for how busy she is. It isn't her fault that the owner didn't put an extra person on staff. Maybe there was a callout?

So many factors go into it and I am so glad to be out of that business. However, it helped me get through college and I know how hard these people work. That is why former servers feel so strongly on this subject. There is no convincing us that you are right and there is obviously no convincing you that we are.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll ask my question to those who thinking tipping on takeout orders is expected - Do you tip your McDonald's (or any other fastfood) cashier? 

Anyone care to answer?

Usually people who are employed at fast food restaurants like that aren't allowed to take tips or they can be fired. Hence there never being a tip jar at a place like that. I like to support small businesses so I usually go out to the little mom and pop shops and throw a dollar or two in their tip jar for my takeout order.

[QUOTE]

That's fine, but you say "usually".  Do you ask?  

Service is a normal part of business transactions.  How do you differentiate when you do or do not tip?  Where do you draw the line and why? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Wrong.  I didn't make a comment either way about the fairness of getting taxed. That being said, servers are aware of what happens when they work in the restaurant industry - whether that tax is fair or not.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention the fairness of getting taxed either, I mentioned the fairness of not tipping the server costing them money because you didn't want to tip. and you responded:

"Because it's still the consumer's choice to tip. It's the consumer's choice to go out to eat or not."

So you did make a comment saying that customers not tipping is their choice regardless of service, which implies you think what NAS does is fair.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Seems to me the $3 tip was more than fair.   I'd like to know who took the photo and put it online.  Was it the same person?  Was it an employee?  If so, I hope that place goes under.  It is beyond ridiculous that Brees should be "shamed" for doing nothing wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Anyone care to answer?

[QUOTE]

That's fine, but you say "usually".  Do you ask?  

Service is a normal part of business transactions.  How do you differentiate when you do or do not tip?  Where do you draw the line and why? 

[/QUOTE]

For me it's simple. If it's something they are paid above min wage to do (ie make a coffee) and don't do anything extra for you specifically for that service than I don't. For example I like a bit richer coffee at D&D's and I use to get the same thing for breakfast every morning. Well the employees recognized me in line and would have my order ready when I hit the counter and had a bit stronger coffee ready for me too. To me that's the extra I'll tip on. Places were I regularly get take out I tip because they recognize me and usually toss in little things here or there, like extra roni on my pizza or overfill my chinese food containers. But, if it's a take out place or fast food that they don't know me or don't go that little extra than what they are paid to do I don't tip

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was one of "those" people. I've been working since 12, I worked more than I studied. I earnedwhat I got. No silver spoon in this mouth. No sense of entitlement here. No empathy for those who don't feel accountable for their own success and failures....just like I don't feel like taxpayers should ever have bailed out banks or those who took out mortgage loans they couldn't afford.

I just don't understand how people who truly struggled and worked hard have such an issue with paying it forward. Helping out someone who is struggling to make ends meet by giving them an extra few bucks is far different than the bank bailouts.

Paying it forward is one thing, but watching people who blow all their money going out to eat, traveling, buying the latest and greatest and then end up buying a huge house with no money down (with a adjustable rate mortgage) was something I had a problem with. Because this is what ended up happening...their rates went up, they had no money to pay the mortgage...they either got help, or they lost the house. When they lost the house it hurt my market value (the house I bought by saving for), it also made it harder for honest people to get loans. And the people that lost the houses are still at it...they keep buying new cars every two years, they get the latest smart phone every year and they are the one's who are going to be buying these houses at discount prices.

I've got no problem helping the guy who loses his job, or hurts his back and can't work, it's the other type that bother me. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Along with his "Get a better job if you don't like it" comments.

Anonymis, you say that you worked in the restaurant business for a while, but I could tell that you were either an entitled son of an owner or you are a liar. If you really worked in the restaurant business then you would have the same feelings on tipping as every single former server I have ever met. Service also reallyl depends on what the situation is. What do you do when you sit down at a restaurant and you have a waitress who is working 10+ tables and struggling to get orders/drinks out? Do you tip her poorly because of that? I know that I can see the girl is busting her butt and deserves some compensation for how busy she is. It isn't her fault that the owner didn't put an extra person on staff. Maybe there was a callout?

So many factors go into it and I am so glad to be out of that business. However, it helped me get through college and I know how hard these people work. That is why former servers feel so strongly on this subject. There is no convincing us that you are right and there is obviously no convincing you that we are.

Again, Wrong. No entitled son of restaurant owner. Noone in my family has ever owned a restaurant. Have worked in various restaurants in different capacities, including dishwasher, cook, cashier, busboy, and waiter. I've done many kinds of other jobs too; including janitorial work cleaning up crap, vomit, and tampons strewn all over the place.

You don't know me. I'm just not one of those people who blame others for whatever is going on in their lives and have zero accountability and obviously you feel you're entitled to be given money for doing lousy work. What a great work ethic to have. And people wonder what's wrong with this country...lol. Yes, being sarcastic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

[QUOTE]

Big difference between Pizza Hut where people are paid above minimum wage and are paid to essentially be cooks and make you bad pizza compared to a restaurant service. You don't tip the cooks at restaurants or hosts who seat you because they are paid better to do those jobs. Servers are paid just enough to cover taxes and live off of your tips for the service they provide. I don't think a single ex server will say you have to tip 20% min but we all do because we know how difficult it is and like to give that little bit extra. You should tip based on service but you should also not tip just because you don't feel like it or because you don't think you should have to tip based on the order and unless they did take a smash in your food (which it could have been the cook not them) you should always leaves a tip to servers.

[/QUOTE]

OK if that's the case at Pizza Hut, they have sitdown tables there as well, where a waiter will serve you like any other restaurant.  Are you saying they aren't expecting me to tip if I would have ordered and eaten it there?  Of course they would, and I would have tipped.  Because I'd be tipping on the service I received.

I'm not saying don't tip at all.  And I have never not tipped.  I hear a lot of ex servers say everyone "should" tip 20% regardless of service.  Which I disagree with and I think that is what a couple others here disagree with. 

Another example.  I was out to dinner with my girlfriend about a month ago.  She used to be a server too.  it was a sparse Wednesday evening crowd but the service we got was inattentive, slow, the guy seemed disinteresed, had poor body language, honestly acted like we were inconveniencing him by being there.  She even said to me "I don't think he likes us".   We both agreed the serivce was terrible.  Are you saying this guy deserved a 20% tip?  No way.  The guy deserved $3 maximum (on approx. a $25-30 bill) in my book.  Although I tipped more because she asked me to,being a former server.  Not as much as she would have though.  It isn't about being cheap, it's about giving a tip based on the service you receive.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Who's bitter, though?  It seems to me it's the SOBs who don't tip who are bitter.  Honestly, I mostly like my servers.  Sometimes have nice conversations with them.  My experience is that the people who don't tip are usually the bitter types.  The friendly types tip well.  (And, they get the best service too.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I didn't mention the fairness of getting taxed either, I mentioned the fairness of not tipping the server costing them money because you didn't want to tip. and you responded:

"Because it's still the consumer's choice to tip. It's the consumer's choice to go out to eat or not."

So you did make a comment saying that customers not tipping is their choice regardless of service, which implies you think what NAS does is fair.

no, dude. you're taking it out of context.  If one is talking about tips being mandatory or because the server is entitled to it - then I'm saying that it's NOT  mandatory - and that the server is NOT entitled to a tip. And that the "choice" of how much to tip is, and should be, up to the customer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How do you know who has taken your order at the restaurant?  Do you always assume its a server? 

I spent a number of years in the restaurant business.  In my restaurants, the carryout orders were handled by the hosts/hostesses and the managers - all paid above the service wage.  Servers were expected to handle dine-in customers. 

There is nothing wrong with tipping on carry out orders but it shouldn't be expected, and Drew Brees should be applauded not ridiculed for his generosity. 

It makes no difference how much money he makes or what his net worth is.  I suspect that Drew Brees' monetary charitable contributions, time involved in such matters, and tax requirements are quite substantial.  Its a shame that people find fault so easily just because he's earned more than us.