Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Off Topic; Drew Brees = Cheap Son of a gun!

In response to Mike-J-D's comment:

OK if that's the case at Pizza Hut, they have sitdown tables there as well, where a waiter will serve you like any other restaurant.  Are you saying they aren't expecting me to tip if I would have ordered and eaten it there?  Of course they would, and I would have tipped.  Because I'd be tipping on the service I received.

I'm not saying don't tip at all.  And I have never not tipped.  I hear a lot of ex servers say everyone "should" tip 20% regardless of service.  Which I disagree with and I think that is what a couple others here disagree with. 

Another example.  I was out to dinner with my girlfriend about a month ago.  She used to be a server too.  it was a sparse Wednesday evening crowd but the service we got was inattentive, slow, the guy seemed disinteresed, had poor body language, honestly acted like we were inconveniencing him by being there.  She even said to me "I don't think he likes us".   We both agreed the serivce was terrible.  Are you saying this guy deserved a 20% tip?  No way.  The guy deserved $3 maximum (on approx. a $25-30 bill) in my book.  Although I tipped more because she asked me to,being a former server.  Not as much as she would have though.  It isn't about being cheap, it's about giving a tip based on the service you receive.   

That's a different story. Now they aren't just handing you a pizza they are providing a service to get you drinks, refill your drinks, serve your food to you after, and clean up after you are done. That's much different than ordering a couple pizzas for take out and them just handing them to you.

As for the 20% I generally give 20% for even average service but if a person is really bad (as you described) I will give the 12% to cover the assumed tax on the tip and nothing more. I think we all said you tip on service provided but it goes both ways and you shouldn't not tip or tip low because you order the $30 steak instead of the $7 salad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

i find it ironic that those former/current servers feel that the servers at Pizza Hut are not worthy of the same kind of tips as a "real" restaurant. Hmmm....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

Any time this topic comes up you have bitter former waiters saying 20% tip is bare minimum as long as the waiter doesn't take a smash in your entree, and people who have never waited tables saying tips should be based on quality of service. 

I agree that the system is stupid and is just a way for restaurants to get away with paying its employees peanuts.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered Pizza Hut online and went in the store to pick it up.  Didn't even consider tipping.  Granted it was only 2 pizzas and breadsticks, not $74, but I don't think that matters.  The bill is for the food I ordered.

Who's bitter, though?  It seems to me it's the SOBs who don't tip who are bitter.  Honestly, I mostly like my servers.  Sometimes have nice conversations with them.  My experience is that the people who don't tip are usually the bitter types.  The friendly types tip well.  (And, they get the best service too.)

[/QUOTE]

you may have a point regarding bitter people tipping less.  But when this topic of conversation comes up, former waiters are always... always... quick to throw around how cheap customers are.  I mean, you just called people who don't tip well SOBs.  I mostly like my servers too, and I tip accordingly.  I would class myself as an average tipper who adjusts for service.  You also point out that good tippers get better service.  That's fine, but then the flip side of that is that good waiters get tipped better than bad ones.  That's how it should be anyway.  I agree that stiffing a good waiter is dirty pool.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

That's a different story. Now they aren't just handing you a pizza they are providing a service to get you drinks, refill your drinks, serve your food to you after, and clean up after you are done. That's much different than ordering a couple pizzas for take out and them just handing them to you.

As for the 20% I generally give 20% for even average service but if a person is really bad (as you described) I will give the 12% to cover the assumed tax on the tip and nothing more. I think we all said you tip on service provided but it goes both ways and you shouldn't not tip or tip low because you order the $30 steak instead of the $7 salad.

And, if that works for you - that's great. That's your choice as to how you wish to tip for the services that you receive.  You're choice and reward system is different from others. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

no, dude. you're taking it out of context.  If one is talking about tips being mandatory or because the server is entitled to it - then I'm saying that it's NOT  mandatory - and that the server is NOT entitled to a tip. And that the "choice" of how much to tip is, and should be, up to the customer.

And I'm saying that because of the broken system you should assume to tip at least 12% because otherwise you are costing them money to provide you with a service. Call it entitled but I consider it entitled that people assume they don't need to tip or tip low and it's alright to take money out of the servers pocket because you wanted to go out to eat. Don't blame the server for the poor system and don't go out to eat if you don't plan on at least covering there taxes for serving you. You can't say that it's the customers choice on one end and then punish the server by costing them money on the other. Either make the tips automatic on the bill or treat your serveer like a human being and tip a reasonable amount for the service provided to cover taxes. BTW what they pay servers and the 12% tax for me essentially covers the server taking the order, dropping off drinks once, dropping off food, and cleaning up after me. Anything they do after that should only increase their tip from there because that's all they actually have to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Again, Wrong. No entitled son of restaurant owner. Noone in my family has ever owned a restaurant. Have worked in various restaurants in different capacities, including dishwasher, cook, cashier, busboy, and waiter. I've done many kinds of other jobs too; including janitorial work cleaning up crap, vomit, and tampons strewn all over the place.

You don't know me. I'm just not one of those people who blame others for whatever is going on in their lives and have zero accountability and obviously you feel you're entitled to be given money for doing lousy work. What a great work ethic to have. And people wonder what's wrong with this country...lol. Yes, being sarcastic.

It honestly blows my mind that you could have waited tables and say that these people have no work ethic. Again, I'll say it now and I'll say it again. A good amount of servers are doing it to put themselves through college or take it up as a second job to support their children. You are right, I don't know you and you don't know them. Stop talking them down like they are the scum of the earth as if they could just jump to a corporate CEO position. They are working just as hard as you supposedly did.

Since you say that you have been a waiter I ask you this: How did it make you feel when you were stiffed or given a poor tip from a table that you worked very hard on?

If you were truly trying to make ends meet as you insist, then it must have made you pretty upset.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any time this topic comes up you have bitter former waiters saying 20% tip is bare minimum as long as the waiter doesn't take a smash in your entree, and people who have never waited tables saying tips should be based on quality of service. 

I agree that the system is stupid and is just a way for restaurants to get away with paying its employees peanuts.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered Pizza Hut online and went in the store to pick it up.  Didn't even consider tipping.  Granted it was only 2 pizzas and breadsticks, not $74, but I don't think that matters.  The bill is for the food I ordered.

Who's bitter, though?  It seems to me it's the SOBs who don't tip who are bitter.  Honestly, I mostly like my servers.  Sometimes have nice conversations with them.  My experience is that the people who don't tip are usually the bitter types.  The friendly types tip well.  (And, they get the best service too.)

[/QUOTE]

you may have a point regarding bitter people tipping less.  But when this topic of conversation comes up, former waiters are always... always... quick to throw around how cheap customers are.  I mean, you just called people who don't tip well SOBs.  I mostly like my servers too, and I tip accordingly.  I would class myself as an average tipper who adjusts for service.  You also point out that good tippers get better service.  That's fine, but then the flip side of that is that good waiters get tipped better than bad ones.  That's how it should be anyway.  I agree that stiffing a good waiter is dirty pool.

[/QUOTE]

How does one actually KNOW a good tipper in advance unless its a known repeat customer?  Did they tip BEFORE the service began? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

i find it ironic that those former/current servers feel that the servers at Pizza Hut are not worthy of the same kind of tips as a "real" restaurant. Hmmm....

Because if you have been paying attention people who work at Pizza Hut get minimum wage or above while servers at restaurants typically get a couple bucks an hour.

You should know this. You said that you have waited tables and worked at various restaurants.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

who said that? Please point that out. Mike said he placed an online order to pick them up not that he sat down to eat them and was served. Big difference there

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

Because if you have been paying attention people who work at Pizza Hut get minimum wage or above while servers at restaurants typically get a couple bucks an hour.

You should know this. You said that you have waited tables and worked at various restaurants.

[/QUOTE]

never worked at Pizza Hut, so, no - I wouldn't know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

But to your former point of paying it forward, that should not matter.  Your point was about taking care of those who have less than the rest of us, and I know that minimum wage server at Pizza Hut is not making more than the $2.13/hr server at the Capital Grille or Ruth's Chris. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

How does one actually KNOW a good tipper in advance unless its a known repeat customer?  Did they tip BEFORE the service began? 

In NAS's case, we use to have people like that and who ever got them would give them bad service because they knew what was coming. Not to mention some people will mention they were former servers off the bat, like if you are in the weeds and got stuck at a table you apologize for the wait and they will say "don't worry about it, I was a server too" and I would give them better service because I knew I was going to be taken care of. I wish I could say I treated everyone the same but lets face it after a 6-12 hour shifts being on your feet you get worn down and even great servers don't put in full effort towards the end of the shift (doesn't mean bad service just not great service) but anytime a regular who tipped well or a former server came in I tried my hardest to give them great service regardless of how tired I was. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

who said that? Please point that out. Mike said he placed an online order to pick them up not that he sat down to eat them and was served. Big difference there

[/QUOTE]

just remarking that if 20% is the standard entitlement expected nowadays - then it shouldmn't matter whether it's takeout at Pizza hut or sit down at Chez FancyFood, it shouldn't matter about the  quality of service or the type of service rendered - just give all servers (waiters, cashiers, cooks, busboys, barkeeps...ect) 20%. Cashiers need the money too, right?

That's what peeps are saying, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A good point.  If you're dealing with a known shoddy tipper, you may be more inclined to give them bad service or make them a lower priority table.  Which I get.. they're not going to tip well either way.  But if you don't know them (which when I talk about this, I always assume no one knows each other), I don't think they should have to "prove" that they're a good tipper to get good serivce.  This is where the "entitled" part that was used earlier comes into play.  The onus is on the waiter to provide good service first and the customer has the last word when judging it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

just remarking that if 20% is the standard entitlement expected nowadays - then it shouldmn't matter whether it's takeout at Pizza hut or sit down at Chez FancyFood, it shouldn't matter about the  quality of service or the type of service rendered - just give all servers (waiters, cashiers, cooks, busboys, barkeeps...ect) 20%. Cashiers need the money too, right?

That's what peeps are saying, right?

Right there is the difference. If I sat down at Pizza Hut I'd still give 20% but I'm not giving 20% for take out same as I wouldn't give 20% for take-out at Chez FancyFood. And no cashiers make more money (per hour) than sitdown servers and typically don't work as hard (I've worked both ends and they don't) so no it's not nearly the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

OK if that's the case at Pizza Hut, they have sitdown tables there as well, where a waiter will serve you like any other restaurant.  Are you saying they aren't expecting me to tip if I would have ordered and eaten it there?  Of course they would, and I would have tipped.  Because I'd be tipping on the service I received.

I'm not saying don't tip at all.  And I have never not tipped.  I hear a lot of ex servers say everyone "should" tip 20% regardless of service.  Which I disagree with and I think that is what a couple others here disagree with. 

Another example.  I was out to dinner with my girlfriend about a month ago.  She used to be a server too.  it was a sparse Wednesday evening crowd but the service we got was inattentive, slow, the guy seemed disinteresed, had poor body language, honestly acted like we were inconveniencing him by being there.  She even said to me "I don't think he likes us".   We both agreed the serivce was terrible.  Are you saying this guy deserved a 20% tip?  No way.  The guy deserved $3 maximum (on approx. a $25-30 bill) in my book.  Although I tipped more because she asked me to,being a former server.  Not as much as she would have though.  It isn't about being cheap, it's about giving a tip based on the service you receive.   

[/QUOTE]

Eng, I'm pretty much like you.  I start at 20% for average service and go up from there if the service is very good.  Very rarely I'll tip less--down to about 10%--but only if the person was downright rude or showed absolutely no interest in us and made us wait for ever for food, bill, etc. 

My experience is that most people tip pretty well (I averaged 18% about back when I was waiting tables in the early 1980s).  The one's who don't always seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulders.  They typically just don't seem like very happy people.  We usually laughed at them.  Little men acting like big ones . . . 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The government assumes a certain % of sales are tips and taxes accordingly so if you tip below that % you are actually costing the server money to provide you a service. Not the servers fault for a broken system so why are you punishing them?

BTW it's not your job but you don't need to go either. It's a luxary to go out to eat not a requirement

This is an interesting point, but it's 100% wrong.  Waitresses get tipped in two ways:  One the card or in cash.  Tips on the cards are reported.  Most cash tips go unreported.  I'm not sure where you got this assumption of sale pecentage leading to average taxes, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you think the IRS collects all of Margaret's receipts nightly, does the math and taxes her at will?

No, I don't need to go out to eat.  I like to.  I do a lot.  If my waitress is going through three tables an hour (reasonable) and we each leave $4, she's at $14+.  Cry me a river.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If you work as a waiter long enough, you can pretty much tell.  Sure, you'll be surprised one way or the other periodically, but happy people are usually good tippers and grumpy ones bad.  You can size them up as soon as they sit down. 

Just to clarify . . . the reason I use the term SOB for the non tippers rather than cheap is because in my experience the non-tippers aren't so much cheap as SOBs.  Not tipping is more a personality thing then a cheap thing.  Truly cheap people aren't eating out.  It costs too much. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

But to your former point of paying it forward, that should not matter.  Your point was about taking care of those who have less than the rest of us, and I know that minimum wage server at Pizza Hut is not making more than the $2.13/hr server at the Capital Grille or Ruth's Chris. 

My bad on that, I was thinking Dominoes pickup for some reason. I always tip well when I dine-in and am waited on. Pizza Hut included.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The government assumes a certain % of sales are tips and taxes accordingly so if you tip below that % you are actually costing the server money to provide you a service. Not the servers fault for a broken system so why are you punishing them?

BTW it's not your job but you don't need to go either. It's a luxary to go out to eat not a requirement

This is an interesting point, but it's 100% wrong.  Waitresses get tipped in two ways:  One the card or in cash.  Tips on the cards are reported.  Most cash tips go unreported.  I'm not sure where you got this assumption of sale pecentage leading to average taxes, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you think the IRS collects all of Margaret's receipts nightly, does the math and taxes her at will?

No, I don't need to go out to eat.  I like to.  I do a lot.  If my waitress is going through three tables an hour (reasonable) and we each leave $4, she's at $14+.  Cry me a river.

Yeah I helped with payroll and I can gaurantee you that restaurants have to report sales and report server sales with payroll. 100% of the tip is taxed on cards but only ~12% is assumed for cash sales on the tips. It's why they require servers to report tips after cash out and not just card sales. Yes, I have known servers who have gotten in trouble with the IRS for reporting low on tips.

btw if a server is doing 3 tables an hour for an entire shift than that's really good turn over. BTW you forgot to take into account the hour before the shift for prep time and the hour to 2 hours after the shift to clean up. A 1/3 of a servers time is just prepping and clean up. They really only get a couple hours to make money. So lets say on an 8hr shift they get a 3hr string of 3 tables per hour that's $36 for 3 hours and the other 3 hours that get half that so $18. that means they make $54 for the 8 hr shift plus $16 for hourly wage that's $70 for 8 hrs which is <$10/hr. Did you think they showed up only at peak hours, took table right away, and left the restaurant without cleaning up afterwards?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

[QUOTE]

Tipped $3.00 on a $74.00 order! His excuse; it was a take out order. Guy only has a $100 million deal! Dont like this primadonna and can't wait til TB12 nonchalantly breaks his record this year of consecutive games with a TD pass.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130801/drew-brees-saints-takeout-tip.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a9&eref=sihp

Who tips for take out unless theres a hot girl there.

[/QUOTE]

Lol bingo. I usually never do but I gave the flirty blonde chick at the 99 a couple bucks the other day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Right there is the difference. If I sat down at Pizza Hut I'd still give 20% but I'm not giving 20% for take out same as I wouldn't give 20% for take-out at Chez FancyFood. And no cashiers make more money (per hour) than sitdown servers and typically don't work as hard (I've worked both ends and they don't) so no it's not nearly the same.

So, lets simplify things. Let's say you sit down for a meal at Pizza Hut vs. Chez FancyFood. Do you tip differently regardless of the cost of the bill?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I helped with payroll and I can gaurantee you that restaurants have to report sales and report server sales with payroll. 100% of the tip is taxed on cards but only ~12% is assumed for cash sales on the tips. It's why they require servers to report tips after cash out and not just card sales. Yes, I have known servers who have gotten in trouble with the IRS for reporting low on tips.

[/QUOTE]

They're probably Republicans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

I believe the IRS now assumes waitstaff get tips of at least 8% of receipts (cash or not) and employers have to withhold income taxes assuming this 8% tip rate. When I waited tables 35 years ago, the law was different, though, so I'm not exactly sure how it works now.  Technically, though, you need to report all tips to the IRS, but of course most servers probably don't. I think, though, they've got to report at least 8% or they run into potential tax problems. 

$4 X 3 = $12.  You've just stiffed the "waitress" another $2 bucks!

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

So, lets simplify things. Let's say you sit down for a meal at Pizza Hut vs. Chez FancyFood. Do you tip differently regardless of the cost of the bill?

and let's expand a little. MagicalHobo is the server at both places. You witness him spit in your food (cuz that's how he rolls when he doesn't get the entitled tip he thinks he deserves). You gonna give Magical Hobo the 12% obligatory tip?