Off topic... Women in "male" locker rooms?"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Off topic... Women in "male" locker rooms?"

Over on the Fox Sports site there is quite an article by reporter Pam Oliver taking umbridge with a quote from Chicago Bear Lance Briggs in which he said women should not be allowed in male locker rooms.  The string of comments to the article is leaning mostly towards the " if women in men's locker rooms, why are men barred from women's?"  Seems women reporters, who claim this is a non-gender based job, want it their way when the shoe fits, but, it can't be equal all the time.  Any one know of male reporters being allowed in the women's locker rooms for WNBA etc..?  Talk about a subject that brought out the ire in Pam Oliver over Briggs' comments!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Off topic... Women in "male" locker rooms?"

Women should be granted the same access as men to locker rooms, but players should not be required to make any particular concessions to that access. If women (or men, for that matter) don't want to be exposed to what a locker room is, they can find some other line of work. It's a huge double-standard as regards private locker rooms in women's sports, but you  have to bear in mind, like most groups who choose to consider themselves "repressed,"  they don't want equal rights -- they want special privileges.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Off topic... Women in "male" locker rooms?":
    [QUOTE]Over on the Fox Sports site there is quite an article by reporter Pam Oliver taking umbridge with a quote from Chicago Bear Lance Briggs in which he said women should not be allowed in male locker rooms.  The string of comments to the article is leaning mostly towards the " if women in men's locker rooms, why are men barred from women's?"  Seems women reporters, who claim this is a non-gender based job, want it their way when the shoe fits, but, it can't be equal all the time.  Any one know of male reporters being allowed in the women's locker rooms for WNBA etc..?  Talk about a subject that brought out the ire in Pam Oliver over Briggs' comments!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

If they let men in womens locker rooms I'd get out of the Computer business right now and start covering the LPGA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Women should be allowed and the players should maintain a certain sense of respect to someone doing their job. At the same time, I laughed at this Sainz lady; you can't be taken seriously when you consider yourself a "professional" and walk into a men's locker room dressed like that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]Over on the Fox Sports site there is quite an article by reporter Pam Oliver taking umbridge with a quote from Chicago Bear Lance Briggs in which he said women should not be allowed in male locker rooms.  The string of comments to the article is leaning mostly towards the " if women in men's locker rooms, why are men barred from women's?"  Seems women reporters, who claim this is a non-gender based job, want it their way when the shoe fits, but, it can't be equal all the time.  Any one know of male reporters being allowed in the women's locker rooms for WNBA etc..?  Talk about a subject that brought out the ire in Pam Oliver over Briggs' comments!

Male reporters are allowed in WNBA locker rooms.  See
    http://www.jonathanhoodshow.com/?p=2851

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I hope this helps..... I took a ethnic diversity class that talked about race, sexuality, sexism ect...  Probably the most benefical class I had in college, but one thing stood out to me forever.  All the guys sat on the ground infront of class and were not allowed to speak that session, while the women in the class sat infront of the guys on their desks and explained the day in the life of being a woman.  I could never be a women with what they have to deal with on a daily basis and for that I tip my hat... it is truley difficult but that's another story, however; there was a point when a women said "when we dress a certain way it is to show-off to other women".  While I totally understood her reasoning, I'd hate to break it to her but nature of man is to plant his seed just like every nature movie showing males trying to mate with females.  So inevitably you are really setting yourself up for failure, because for whatwever reason we men think one way first.  Unfortunately we are wired that way whether we say it or not... I guess ther Jets locker room was just being themselves... but I ahve to say what the rest have said.. what did you honestly expect!!!??? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Off topic... Women in "male" locker rooms?":
    [QUOTE]Yes you can when you work for a Spanish speaking network. Have you ever watched the Mexican news? she is dressed the way people in her line of work dress so it is so stupid for people to point the finger at her. The Jets were out of line and that is it she had every right to be there and to be dressed how she likes to dress and they should have been professionals but they dont even know what that word means.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Did not know that but now I know. Thanks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Well, I give creedence to a lot of points on this subject. Although it is true that Spanish stations do ask their reporters to dress provocatively. I think it's a genius way of improving ratings. What guy here wouldn't try to stay up for the 11 o'clock news if that babe was reading it? So, in a way, they solicit this type of reaction. And though they are "professionals", most of the guys in an NFL locker room are mid 20s guys who already have their adrenaline high, and as the saying goes..."boys will be boys". Even though that may be standard "dress code" (or maybe un-dress code fits better?) for the Spanish news, they should also recognize they are in the US, and such attire is definitely not "proper business" (as it were). My personal opinion is that NO reporter should be in the locker rooms. They talk to the guys on the field after the game, they have a press station where the coach usually gives an interview, they could live without being in the locker room. Just my opinion. I would think it rude if I was changing and going to the showers to have someone follow me around asking questions. I still haven't seen a quote of what was said, and the girl wasn't offended (again, from what I've read about it). Maybe they're trying to grandstand morality. The only thing I like about the whole foolish incident is that it couldn't have happened to a better team! If they hadn't been running their mouths so much maybe people wouldn't have scrutinized what they were saying as closely!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Women should be granted the same access as men to locker rooms, but players should not be required to make any particular concessions to that access. If women don't want to be exposed to what a locker room is, they can find some other line of work. It's a huge double-standard as regards private locker rooms in women's sports, but you  have to bear in mind, like most groups who choose to consider themselves "repressed," they don't want equal rights -- they want special privileges.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Well said. Political correctness seems to have gone too far...especially when things truly don't end up being equal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I like what bub said about restricting access entirely.

Locker-room interviews have outlived their usefulness, and go back to a time before the media was as prevalent and invasive as it is now. Teams have actual media rooms and are required by their respective leagues to provide scheduled access to the media. The truth of the matter is, there is no valid reason for reporters of any stripe to be in the locker room at all. But try selling that one to the Fourth Estate and watch the hew and cry go up across the fruited plain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This is from an article on SI.com that was written by Ann Killion:

Men are, indeed, allowed in women's locker rooms. Driving into work on Monday I heard a nationally syndicated radio commentator lamenting the fact that he couldn't go in women's locker rooms. Apparently he's never attempted to cover women's sports -- sadly, not too surprising. But as this particular radio talker works for a network that covers both the WNBA and the women's NCAA basketball tournament -- and also employs several high profile women sports reporters -- you'd think he might have checked his facts.

The WNBA -- the playoffs are going on right now -- has the same rules as the NBA. Open locker rooms at designated times. In the NCAA tournament, the same rules govern both men and women's locker rooms -- they're both open at specific times. During the regular season, NCAA institutions can make their own rules about locker room availability, but during the tournament the NCAA has a uniform policy. When Stanford played UConn in last April's championship, if you wanted to see how devastated Jayne Appel was after her terrible shooting night, you needed to be in the locker room. I was there. So were my male colleagues.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ann_killion/09/14/reporters/index.html#ixzz0zpHHFdbE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Male reporters are allowed in the locker rooms of female athletes. But it must be awesome for people to assume otherwise so they can tear down female reporters as people who want "special privileges."

The woman was wearing a white blouse and jeans. Acting like she got what was coming to her simply exposes the culturally ingrained idea of male privilege. These men are expected to act that way, and there are no professional standards. It isn't even about whether they are allowed to harass women. There is no juridical language, and there is no ethical lexicon impressed on the situation from outset....they are simply expected to behave however they like. They have the right to harass anyone who they think "looks good." The logic of such privilege is entirely subsumed into culture to the point where it effaces its very fingerprints. For most of the people here it is never even a question of "should they," it is merely an understood fact that they "will." That is the very definition of terrific and arbitrary privilege -- it is privilege that masquerades as fact.

The logic is astounding; moreover, it is the same logic that results in women being forced to wear the burqa in Islamo-Republics. 

Saying she wasn't offended after saying she was offended likely has more to do with fear of being blackballed for the rest of her career by the players than it does with how she actually feels about walking into a hostile locker room. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

women are snakessssss

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

blah blah blah blah

[QUOTE]Male reporters are allowed in the locker rooms of female athletes. But it must be awesome for people to assume otherwise so they can tear down female reporters as people who want "special privileges." The woman was wearing a white blouse and jeans. Acting like she got what was coming to her simply exposes the culturally ingrained idea of male privilege. These men are expected to act that way, and there are no professional standards. It isn't even about whether they are allowed to harass women. There is no juridical language, and there is no ethical lexicon impressed on the situation from outset....they are simply expected to behave however they like. They have the right to harass anyone who they think "looks good." The logic of such privilege is entirely subsumed into culture to the point where it effaces its very fingerprints. For most of the people here it is never even a question of "should they," it is merely an understood fact that they "will." That is the very definition of terrific and arbitrary privilege -- it is privilege that masquerades as fact. The logic is astounding; moreover, it is the same logic that results in women being forced to wear the burqa in Islamo-Republics.  Saying she wasn't offended after  saying she was offended likely has more to do with fear of being blackballed for the rest of her career by the players than it does with how she actually feels about walking into a hostile locker room. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I love and respect women, but i don't think they should be in a locker room. if they want to interview they should do it in the press room.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm with Bub, I think the locker room should be off limits so this stuff wouldn't happen. Lets face it these professional athletes are pumped full of adrenaline and testosterone. Women who freely use their sexuality and body as part of their job (whether for ratings or to get interviews) it's hard for them to call foul when they are made uncomfortable. Of course there is a line which you should never cross, to me this involves touching and what you say to their face or loud enough in ear shot distance that they can hear. But if they are in fact using their bodies to enhance their ability to perform their job isn't that also preventing male reports from doing their jobs simply because males can't compete for interviews with women like that.

As far as men in women's locker rooms, I heard there is a different standard as there should be (IE only males should be allowed while male players get dressed and shower and what not and of course females should only be allowed in the reverse role for female locker rooms). Yes most leagues allow both sexes in the locker room but I've also heard of men being denied into women's locker rooms simply on the basis that it makes some of the women uncomfortable to have them there. Though I agree if it makes them uncomfortable to have male reporters there they should deny them entrance but it's only fair that guys ask the same and shouldn't have to act differently then they normally would because the roles are reversed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I don't think it would work for me --I'd be peeking. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  and LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I am all for women in men's locker room....come on Game, let's shower

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]Male reporters are allowed in the locker rooms of female athletes. But it must be awesome for people to assume otherwise so they can tear down female reporters as people who want "special privileges." The woman was wearing a white blouse and jeans. Acting like she got what was coming to her simply exposes the culturally ingrained idea of male privilege. These men are expected to act that way, and there are no professional standards. It isn't even about whether they are allowed to harass women. There is no juridical language, and there is no ethical lexicon impressed on the situation from outset....they are simply expected to behave however they like. They have the right to harass anyone who they think "looks good." The logic of such privilege is entirely subsumed into culture to the point where it effaces its very fingerprints. For most of the people here it is never even a question of "should they," it is merely an understood fact that they "will." That is the very definition of terrific and arbitrary privilege -- it is privilege that masquerades as fact. The logic is astounding; moreover, it is the same logic that results in women being forced to wear the burqa in Islamo-Republics.  Saying she wasn't offended after  saying she was offended likely has more to do with fear of being blackballed for the rest of her career by the players than it does with how she actually feels about walking into a hostile locker room. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

This is the stupidest post I've ever read in my life.
    Are you gay or do you just play one on the internet?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off topic... Women in "male" locker rooms?" : This is the stupidest post I've ever read in my life. Are you gay or do you just play one on the internet?
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

you're a dumbasss. you don't undersand what he said because you probably dropped out of elementary school

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Charles Barkley comments:

"I gotta tell you something. When I watch TV now I feel bad for ugly women. Because if you are an ugly woman you got no chance of getting on TV now, especially in the sporting culture."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/charles-barkley-took-money-in-college-feels-for-ugly-women-091710

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Charles Barkley comments: "I gotta tell you something. When I watch TV now I feel bad for ugly women. Because if you are an ugly woman you got no chance of getting on TV now, especially in the sporting culture." http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/charles-barkley-took-money-in-college-feels-for-ugly-women-091710
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

And if I didn't look like the average guy I would be a model. Lets face it, TV personalities look the part and for women it tends to be attractive. But I've also seen average looking women within sports that are very well respected. Their looks give them jobs that they might not deserve (in other words being a sports reporter when they might not have much sports insight). But, for every job they take it's one more job off the market for both women and guys a like so it's not like they took a female exclusive job. You should always get the job that's best suited for you and if your not one of the lucky few highly attractive people then maybe TV isn't your field. But, there's always a way to still be a sports reporter without being on TV.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Yeah I mean I think I agree with some of the few last posts. I mean these guys are pumped up men alot going through them and if a woman like Inez came rolling in lol I mean people I think would be turning heads in the locker room as well here.

Attractive or unattractive I dont think they should be rolling in their before or after a game. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

It's a simple solution.  No reporter should be allowed in any locker room.  

There is a press room in every statium.  Players and coaches sit at the podium and answer questions.   That's all the access the media needs.

I know these guys are paid well, but who wants to have a parade of strangers walking around in your locker room when you're just trying to take a shower and get dressed. 

The practice it excessive and unecessary.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MatildaWanna. Show MatildaWanna's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Off topic... Women in "male" locker rooms?" : It's a simple solution.  No reporter should be allowed in any locker room.   There is a press room in every statium.  Players and coaches sit at the podium and answer questions.   That's all the access the media needs. I know these guys are paid well, but who wants to have a parade of strangers walking around in your locker room when you're just trying to take a shower and get dressed.  The practice it excessive and unecessary.
    Posted by Ltown1[/QUOTE]
    Exactly right.........Press or media coverage gets sone in the press room, not in any locker room.