Offense Clock Management / Sideline Communication

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Offense Clock Management / Sideline Communication

I'm not one to criticize Patriot play-calling or execution. One thing I observe is that Tom Brady gets the ball from center with less than 2 seconds on the play clock more than 80% of the time. It's well documented that the Pats have been flagged for delay of game often and many times, when facing crucial downs and a play clock that is relentless...Brady calls a timeout.

It would appear that as "complex" as the Patriots' offense is...there is a disconnect between decision making and field calls. My understanding is that Brady has communication equipment in his helmet.

Does anyone else notice a problem here? Who is calling the plays and is there no sense of sequential options given the myriad of situations faced on the field?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Offense Clock Management / Sideline Communication

Apparently no one else senses a disconnect between the sideline and Tom Brady when it comes to management of the offense and that this disconnect impacts on-field play-calling and clock management?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I've noticed that many times they're trying to get the ball snapped with a second on the play clock, but it seems like a lot of NFL teams do that.  However, they have also been forced into a timeout or a penalty pretty often, like you said.  I don't know why it happens (disconnect/indecision/other) but it seems to me that something like this should almost never happen.  for comparison, i'm not sure how often other teams get delays or are foced into timeouts in a critical situation.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Offense Clock Management / Sideline Communication:
    [QUOTE]I'm not one to criticize Patriot play-calling or execution. One thing I observe is that Tom Brady gets the ball from center with less than 2 seconds on the play clock more than 80% of the time. It's well documented that the Pats have been flagged for delay of game often and many times, when facing crucial downs and a play clock that is relentless...Brady calls a timeout. It would appear that as "complex" as the Patriots' offense is...there is a disconnect between decision making and field calls. My understanding is that Brady has communication equipment in his helmet. Does anyone else notice a problem here? Who is calling the plays and is there no sense of sequential options given the myriad of situations faced on the field? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

The plays do seem to be getting in slowly, as I frequently see Brady standing outside the huddle apparently waiting for the play call.  I don't think it falls entirely on Brady for all of the delay of game penalties - if the play doesn't get in quick enough, he can't get a good read on the defense before snapping the ball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

All the aforementioned may be happening because there is no Offensive coordinator and it would really seem that he (Belichick) is more plugged into the defense (whenever the Pats defense gets off the field he spends time talking to them on the bench) and either:

A. Coach Belichick does little other than clog up the communication with Brady...
    B. Coach Belichick has final say in the call...
    C. The disconnect is even greater considering that the last time Tom Brady was on the field his O-Coordinator was Josh McDaniel and the Pats still haven't figured out how they're going to game call.

They are incredibly inconsistent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

noticed the same thngs as you guys.  on a few of them you could see Brady giving the hand gestures to hurry the F up. 

Don't know if anyone else noticed tom's face on a few plays it looked to me as a sure sign of dislike in the play selection