1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Offensive line

The Patriots web site lists their depth chart as follows:

Left Tackle   72 Matt Light       76 Sebastian Vollmer      
    Left Guard    70 Logan Mankins  63 Dan Connolly  69 Ryan Wendell
    Center         67 Dan Koppen     63 Dan Connolly     
    Right Guard   61 Stephen Neal   60 Rich Ohrnberger     
    Right Tackle  77 Nick Kaczur     64 Mark LeVoir   76 Sebastian Vollmer

In the Mock Draft thread it was mentioned picking Maurkice Pouncey with our 1st round pick. I don't claim to know a thing about him but I like the idea of shoring up our offensive line. I do know they are getting older and less effective each year. Should the first round pick be used for an offensive lineman? For Brady and the running game I vote yes. What does everyone think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Offensive line

Most definitely digger I've been saying this on here for two years now. It all starts up front. The playoff game against the Ravens really showed how bad this line is. They couldn't run nor pass protect worth a damn. I would like to see them draft the best center out there and then a tackle to replace Light. One these centers
     would help. 

1. Josh McNeil Tennessee 
    2. John Estes, Hawaii 
    3. Thomas Austin, Clemson 
    4. Erik Cook, New Mexico   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I've seen a lot of mock drafts that do not include NE picking an o-lineman. That area needs to be addressed this year. Hopefully, the 22nd pick will be someone who drops unexpectedly, a no-brainer pick. Then the Pats can address the rest of their needs, OL, DL, LB, WR, RB, CB, P, lol, just to keep up with the Jets! LOL

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Offensive line:
    The Patriots web site lists their depth chart as follows: Left Tackle   72 Matt Light       76 Sebastian Vollmer       Left Guard    70 Logan Mankins  63 Dan Connolly  69 Ryan Wendell Center         67 Dan Koppen     63 Dan Connolly      Right Guard   61 Stephen Neal   60 Rich Ohrnberger      Right Tackle  77 Nick Kaczur     64 Mark LeVoir   76 Sebastian Vollmer In the Mock Draft thread it was mentioned picking Maurkice Pouncey with our 1st round pick. I don't claim to know a thing about him but I like the idea of shoring up our offensive line. I do know they are getting older and less effective each year. Should the first round pick be used for an offensive lineman? For Brady and the running game I vote yes. What does everyone think?
    Posted by digger0862

I'd like to see an OL picked up as well and think they will.  Connolly will eventually replace Neal or maybe Koppen soon.  Vollmer will be the LT this year and not Kaczur.  Light might be done after this year but that's probably a big maybe because he is a fav of Belichicks.  Pouncey is a possible pick if he drops to us because he can play center or either guard position.  The Pats favor versatile players.  The 22nd pick is loaded with options though.  They could go in any direction they feel that would answer their highest need.  It seems to me that the talent level would be pretty balanced to where they can address a need.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

As a huge proponent of Pouncey for a while now.  He is big enough as a center to take on NTs, he is good at snapping, can play guard, has a good work ethic and is a leader.  He is probably the most ready to start on day one of any of the interior linemen. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i hope they select jared Veldheer with their last 2nd round pick, he is a beast, practically a vollmer clone. He would fixe the Right Tackle for the next 5 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

nate my concern with him is his feet.  I wish I book marked the article that said his feet were not that good.  Otherwise I like him in the 3rd if we had one, or 4th.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If you look at the sack stats you would think the Pats have the best OL of the decade but if you looked at the games you see Brady been hit time and time again.

I think we need to address the OL if we like to see brady play until he's ready to retire and playing at a high level.

The only position I think it is not available on the roster right now is RT, I think Light will be trade so here's what I see including a few possible picks. 
    LT Vollmer
    LG Mankins
    Center Conolly
    RG Bussey or Ohrnberger - Bussey was on IR his rookie year but was highly regarded by the coaching staff going into the draft.  Very smart player, he will compete for the RG starting job. 
    RT Katzur starts the season but not the answer, he is the weakest point of this line.
    Options in the draft(1st 2nd and 4th round):
    1st Round - (assuming Okung, Bulaga, Williams, Davis and Bruce Campbell who will go to oakland are all gone by 22)
    Charles Brown USC 6'6" 306 USC- should be a 2nd rdr but with the possible run at tackles early he might move into the late 1st round
    2nd Round -
    Rodger Saffold 6'5" 316 Indiana experienced and durable player, started 41 consecutive games
    Vladimir Ducasse 6'5" 332 UMass kid did not look good at the Senior Bowl.  He was beat by a number of speed rushers which he'll face in the AFC East.  He might be two years from starting
    Jared Veldheer 6'8" 312 Hillsdale same story as Voll, big strong kid from a small school.  He held up well in the texas vs nation game.  He is my pick if an OL is taken in the 2nd round. 
    4th Rnd
    Kyle Calloway 6'7" 323 Iowa he is a very good player his stock is on the rise so the 4th might be to late.  Pats probably keep their eye on him.
    others in the 4th, Jason Fox, Selvish Capers, Ed Wang, Sam Young

If I was drafting my pick would be Kyle Calloway, he is well coached at Iowa fairly good feet and long arms.  Should be able to contribute in 2010 and a full time starter in 2011.

In later rounds (6th or 7th) Will Baker is an option, from Virginia started 49 and in 2008 was part of the best OL in the ACC only allowing 16 sacks that season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Eric Olsen from Notre Dame 6'4" 309.  Center who can swing to Guard.  Koppen can groom him while he fills in at Guard if needed.  Played in the Weis system, should be some familiarity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i believe the 5 OLs will be picked in the top 10. i expect the following to go during that stretch.
    okung
    williams
    bulaga
    campbell
    davis
    a sixth could be picked if clausen does not get picked up by either cleveland or seattle. for now i believe that oe of those teams will gun for a qb.

after that you have sf and pitt also needing OLs. i am thinking these will be iupati and pouncy.

if ne does not pick an OL, dallas will. everyone knows romo did not get a chance to throw the ball on their elimination game. you could assume that they will pick up the best OL remaining. that probably is brown.

in the second round, assuming no other OLs go before they pick again, the remaining top OL candidates wil be (in order of rating):
    ducasse (i believe ducasse would be a reach at 44 and everyone else after ducasse would be a reach in the second round)
    saffold
    beadles
    capers
    veldheer
    johnson

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I really started to evaluate players after the combine , I actually think its pretty useful. And its there so why not use it? I concluded after that this draft isnt as deep as everyone likes to say it is. LOL most on here have no f'in clue anyhow , they listen to TV , read the papers and go on the internet to form an opinion. Instead of actually watching the games and tape themselves they let someone else do it for them. Again IMO its just not as deep as everyone likes/wants to believe. The OL/DL is pretty stacked , after that there seem to be alot of second tier players. LOL its not a deep draft if everyone wants to get out of the first and move to the 2/3. If its so deep wheres the depth in round one? If the talent is there then why wouldnt you want to go and get it? Everybody wants to move out because if you cant get a Kindle/Hughes you can go after Washington or Bowman. Take OLB as an example , none of these guys have seperated from the pack. Then take into account just how many bust there have been at that position in the last 5 years , why not move into the 2/3 and find a guy who has pretty much the same grade as the next. Its not a deep draft if everyone wants to get out of the first round , wheres the depth there? I hate when the PATS trade down , sometimes it seem just to trade down for the fun of it. I actaully think this might be the draft to trade up a couple spots , maybe try and get around 12-15. I know , I know its the PATS , but I can see some real potential talent falling if the draft shapes up like I think it will. Clausen and Bradford are going top 10 , fact , so theres two spots gone. Then you have the 2 beast in Suh/McCoy, 2 more gone. After that I have 4 OT's going , maybe 5 if the Raiders go after Cambell. This guy has bust written all over him , so that means he'll fit in perfect in Oakland. He only started 17 games and has looked average 98% of the time , all he has is the combine , the most important thing to Uncle Al LOL. I think theres a decent chance Berry falls , not far , but I think he will end up around 10-13. Hes " mosdef " worth going after. If not then a guy Ive been screaming about Earl Thomas will be around at least til 17-18. This guy is the real deal and I think hes even better at tackling and wrapping up. Please dont say were all good at S , sorry but you havent been watching if you think so. Or even go get McClain , by far the number 1 ILB , a spot that we really need also. Last year we really blew it , we could have had Matthews and/or Maualuga/Lauriniatis. We could have locked up 2 huge positions that we still need today. When you talk o-line a guy I really love is Mike Johnson , hes versatile , smart , tough and like I said hes versatile , he can play either G position. Hes high on all the " experts " boards and mine as well , and the best thing is that we can get him in the 3 round , maybe early 4th. Pouncey is great option as well , but will go in the late first , maybe early 2nd. I really think Johnson is just as good if not better at G.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ol44. Show Ol44's posts

Last season, I believe we had 2 elite teams and they met at the Super Bowl.
    The difference between those 2 and the Pats is the offensive lines.
    Manning and Brees had a low number of sacks. More importantly though, they had time to throw and destroy defenses.
    Brady had no such luxury. He was pressured to throw the ball early to avoid sacks. This resulted in turn overs and 3 down incompletion. 3 men fronts forced him in uncharacteristic mistakes.
    With better line play, the Pats could have been 15 and 1.
    I would love to see Pouncy drafted with the 22 pick and Veldheer picked later.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

I think we need to move Light and or Kaczur. I would love a secong for Light and ship Kaczur to oakland for Morrison

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

We could def use a young Olineman probably more for the future than next year considering the age/talent/health of the other 4 starters than Volmeer.  But I don't think it's fair to blame all of last year's offensive struggles on the Oline, Brady was inconsistent last year as expected coming back from a nasty injury, Moss was often doubled because we had no legit No3 wr and he was hurt most of the year as well, both starting TE played their way out of NE and we have great depth but no real No 1 rb.  You could argue the O line was one of the better offensive units last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Offensive line:
    Most definitely digger I've been saying this on here for two years now. It all starts up front. The playoff game against the Ravens really showed how bad this line is. They couldn't run nor pass protect worth a damn. I would like to see them draft the best center out there and then a tackle to replace Light. One these centers  would help.  1. Josh McNeil Tennessee  2. John Estes, Hawaii  3. Thomas Austin, Clemson  4. Erik Cook, New Mexico    
    Posted by harleyroadking103

Harley, you're not alone.  In terms of priority tho, I'm thinkin' that we need to improve our pass rush first, our offensive line (particularly at c,  RT, and RG) second. Any improvement in either would be helpful.  If we can improve our pass rush - then it would hopefully mean our defense gets off the field sooner and allow our offense more opportunities to score. On the other hand, if we can improve our offensive line to both protect Brady AND open holes for the  the running game - the offense can "carry" the defense a little bit more - and control the time of possession much better.

NE ways....I hear ya.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Offensive line : I agree 100%. You have to love Dan Koppen, and you have to hope the Pats draft a replacement! Koppen only holds up because Neal and Mankins are beside him. Nice guy.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

I've always liked Koppen cuz he doesn't appear to make many mistakes. Certainly, being in  between Mankins and Neal helps. Others don't think too highly of him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/dan-koppen

Koppen, Neal, Kaczur.....all probably need to be replaced sooner rather than later, due to age and/or injuries (or in the case of Kaczur...bad performance).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

Kazur is a waste product; he couldn't block me and I am 63 andd weigh 212.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

with the near failures of the Watson and Maroney eras, and the lack of ANY GOOD offensive players drafted since Daniel Graham, Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk and Logan Mankins, we need good offensive players and we need good defensive players.

I wouldn't object to an OL with the 22 pick.

That being said, would you trade our 1st and 3 2nds for these two players: Dez Bryant and CJ Spiller. Those two might solidify our WR and RB problems quite nicely.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

I propose calling Sebastian Vollmer Hercules.  I believe he is going to be outstanding. 

Stephen Neal was considering retiring, now he is signed up for two years.  Makes me imagine Belicheck offered him the tight end job.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

Offensive Line is a major concern and believe me, the Pats have a plan. If that involves draft picks and/or trades, we will see. it may even involve next year's draft using Oakland's #1 to trade down, if a rookie salary cap is not negotiated.

It is probably BB's #1 concern, considering the franchise plays behind it.

It would not surprise me if the Patriots add 2 OLs before the end of round 2, by hook or by crook.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I propose calling Sebastian Vollmer Hercules.  I believe he is going to be outstanding.  Stephen Neal was considering retiring, now he is signed up for two years.  Makes me imagine Belicheck offered him the tight end job.
    Posted by lightningbrain

Lightning, I too love Vollmer, but love the Sea Bass nickname, hence my newest jersey

sveltics, as I have said about a million times everytime someone suggests we are going to use the oak pick this year.  BB could have gotten this years #1 pick from Oak, but decided not to.  So I see zero chance he would lose value and trade it to get into this years draft.