Official Training Camp Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Re: Official Training Camp Thread

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Figured we could use an official training camp thread to discuss the daily ongoings and insights of training camp. It beats having multiple threads for each day. So far it is day two and things are looking pretty good. 

Heard Dobson looked good. Did anyone make it today?

Lots of Hoopla Yesterday. The Circus was in town as BB likes to say. Watched the cerimony and got to see most of practice before I left to beat traffic. I was surprised to see them in pads again after being in pads sunday, but it was good to see. Not any major hitting, but they were bucking up. Talib looked solid throughout. Tracking down balls over his head. Had 2 nice INTS. Boyce looks like a #81 replacement candidate. Looks to be able to play in the slot. Dobson is smooth but not as big as I thought. Reminds me of Reche Caldwell, but I think he has a higher ceiling obviously. I was impressed with K.Thompkins. He looks the part. Quicks and route running but had a drop from Brady(high heat from 5 yards away tho') Amendola looks FAST! Thats the main difference between he and wes that I see. He wont be getting caught from behind like Wes always was and can play outside like I thought.

Zudfeld looks big but didnt do much. Lined out in the slot a few times. Leon Washington still has the speed!  He is gonna break MANY this year if healthy. Should also contribute in the offense. Wearing # 33, he looks like a younger Faulk. Vareen is gonna play some WR this year. Nothing stood out from Ridley, Blount. Just did their jobs. Tebow was getting some interesting looks from the D. BB holding back no punches,. called a double LB blitz from both sides, causing Tebow to leave the pocket. He had some good throws. Mallets Arm looks to be strongest in camp and accuracy is a little better than last year.

A.Wilson looks BIG! Loving his Presence. He was up at the line all Practice. The REACH brothers Tavon and Duron were basically non factors, spectators that got in late but as of now they look out the loop. The rotation was A.Wilson, McCourty and Gregory, but Gregory may be getting his last looks before they decide to move forward with Tavon. I'll wait  and see on that one. Jamie Collins look like he could be a Safety. He is def. gonna be able to cover guys. He is a lean, compact guy that should help right away. Dobson runs some nice routes and displayed some hands. The Starters were him and K.Tompkins. Fells had a nice TD catch down the seams , middle of field. Arrington was in the slot, mostly, wearing # 25. Logan was out the loop. Didnt play much with starters. Couldnt gauge him really. T.Kelly didnt stand out much. Brady still had his midseason ZIP on the ball and was accurate as ever. Didnt look impatient with his guys like some have suggested. Bruschi fired up the guys with a pre practice speach. BB was keeping it light. Big Turn out! Im Encouraged by what I saw. More getting upfield from Lineman and less 2 gapping. Good things to come I believe. Defense SHOULD be much improved. Spikes is losing reps to Collins this year. Lots of Dime packages with 3 safety look. Thats all I got for now.

Thanks for the info!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

As a whole the secondary looked very good monday night. Talib stands out, he is physical and relentless in coverage. Dennard was also physical not as polished as Talib. Ras-I has very good coverage skills not as physical as Talib and Dennard but there is no doubt he can cover.

If he's smart, Ras will learn something from Talib.  If he stays healthy the talent has always been there.  This backfield, this defense has all the elements to be scary good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

As a whole the secondary looked very good monday night. Talib stands out, he is physical and relentless in coverage. Dennard was also physical not as polished as Talib. Ras-I has very good coverage skills not as physical as Talib and Dennard but there is no doubt he can cover.

If he's smart, Ras will learn something from Talib.  If he stays healthy the talent has always been there.  This backfield, this defense has all the elements to be scary good.

Ras is a frustrating kid to watch. When I got to camp, he immediately stood out as the best looking CB on the field. By best looking, I mean he has the best looking build, height, weight combo and looks the part. The thing is he is always playing with the scrubs. You would think BB throws em in with the regulars if he had any real plans for him. Then there is last year when he was healthy and still not playing until they used him midgame to cover RBs due to injury. Im starting to think he is missing something upstairs because I just cant see why he isnt playing more and with the ones. I keep hearing reports of him being the best CB in camp, but his reps and place on the depth chart suggest otherwise. We shall see. Logan Ryan has been a now show so far as well

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Figured we could use an official training camp thread to discuss the daily ongoings and insights of training camp. It beats having multiple threads for each day. So far it is day two and things are looking pretty good. 

Lots of Hoopla Yesterday. The Circus was in town as BB likes to say. Watched the cerimony and got to see most of practice before I left to beat traffic. I was surprised to see them in pads again after being in pads sunday, but it was good to see. Not any major hitting, but they were bucking up. Talib looked solid throughout. Tracking down balls over his head. Had 2 nice INTS. Boyce looks like a #81 replacement candidate. Looks to be able to play in the slot. Dobson is smooth but not as big as I thought. Reminds me of Reche Caldwell, but I think he has a higher ceiling obviously. I was impressed with K.Thompkins. He looks the part. Quicks and route running but had a drop from Brady(high heat from 5 yards away tho') Amendola looks FAST! Thats the main difference between he and wes that I see. He wont be getting caught from behind like Wes always was and can play outside like I thought.

Zudfeld looks big but didnt do much. Lined out in the slot a few times. Leon Washington still has the speed!  He is gonna break MANY this year if healthy. Should also contribute in the offense. Wearing # 33, he looks like a younger Faulk. Vareen is gonna play some WR this year. Nothing stood out from Ridley, Blount. Just did their jobs. Tebow was getting some interesting looks from the D. BB holding back no punches,. called a double LB blitz from both sides, causing Tebow to leave the pocket. He had some good throws. Mallets Arm looks to be strongest in camp and accuracy is a little better than last year.

A.Wilson looks BIG! Loving his Presence. He was up at the line all Practice. The REACH brothers Tavon and Duron were basically non factors, spectators that got in late but as of now they look out the loop. The rotation was A.Wilson, McCourty and Gregory, but Gregory may be getting his last looks before they decide to move forward with Tavon. I'll wait  and see on that one. Jamie Collins look like he could be a Safety. He is def. gonna be able to cover guys. He is a lean, compact guy that should help right away. Dobson runs some nice routes and displayed some hands. The Starters were him and K.Tompkins. Fells had a nice TD catch down the seams , middle of field. Arrington was in the slot, mostly, wearing # 25. Logan was out the loop. Didnt play much with starters. Couldnt gauge him really. T.Kelly didnt stand out much. Brady still had his midseason ZIP on the ball and was accurate as ever. Didnt look impatient with his guys like some have suggested. Bruschi fired up the guys with a pre practice speach. BB was keeping it light. Big Turn out! Im Encouraged by what I saw. More getting upfield from Lineman and less 2 gapping. Good things to come I believe. Defense SHOULD be much improved. Spikes is losing reps to Collins this year. Lots of Dime packages with 3 safety look. Thats all I got for now.

Good stuff, ty

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Good stuff, ty

No Prob, Eng

Im gonna add some more things I just remembered and just general thoughts. I believe J.Cunninghams time is up. HE will be given a last chance, but I see BB cutting him in week 2-3 of camp to let him catch on elsewhere. I believe between Vega, Collins, Buheanis(sp) that J.C's limited production can be met and surpassed by a new group. Basically BB knows what JC can do, He has hit the ceiling and its low. Hate to bring it up, but I didnt like the pic. Too many florida kids, but whatever. He is gone. Gregory is being given a chance to show his stuff as Tavon and Duron were spectators. In a couple weeks, they will either cut gregory and move on with Tavon, or keep him another year and regulate Tavon special teams. Its interesting and maybe troubling that Nate Ebner was out there more than Tavon, IMO. Harmon looks 2 years away and I dont think BB has any immediate plans for him. Thank god for A.Wilson. He will put those project/developmental guys on hold for a year atleast. Buchanan looks intriging, good size. D.Fletcher was in the mix, but needs to do more to stand out or lose his spot. Wynn looks slow. NO bolden out there. Punt return teams looked electric with Danny and Leon taking a couple back. Didnt see much of any K.O. returns tho. Lots of punt work though. Timing of passing offense wasnt as bad I had expected. Got some young guys w/talent. Gronk being out early could be a blessing as Brady is looking for K. Thompkins a lot. Maybe be a sleeper Brady likes. L.Hawkins also looks quick(Branch when young) and should contribute on offense. Matty P ran the practice until BB got there. He had to speak after Tedy and then quickly changed to his shorts and hoody and was out there in chill mode(not much yelling)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No Prob, Eng

Im gonna add some more things I just remembered and just general thoughts. I believe J.Cunninghams time is up. HE will be given a last chance, but I see BB cutting him in week 2-3 of camp to let him catch on elsewhere. I believe between Vega, Collins, Buheanis(sp) that J.C's limited production can be met and surpassed by a new group. Basically BB knows what JC can do, He has hit the ceiling and its low. Hate to bring it up, but I didnt like the pic. Too many florida kids, but whatever. He is gone. Gregory is being given a chance to show his stuff as Tavon and Duron were spectators. In a couple weeks, they will either cut gregory and move on with Tavon, or keep him another year and regulate Tavon special teams. Its interesting and maybe troubling that Nate Ebner was out there more than Tavon, IMO. Harmon looks 2 years away and I dont think BB has any immediate plans for him. Thank god for A.Wilson. He will put those project/developmental guys on hold for a year atleast. Buchanan looks intriging, good size. D.Fletcher was in the mix, but needs to do more to stand out or lose his spot. Wynn looks slow. NO bolden out there. Punt return teams looked electric with Danny and Leon taking a couple back. Didnt see much of any K.O. returns tho. Lots of punt work though. Timing of passing offense wasnt as bad I had expected. Got some young guys w/talent. Gronk being out early could be a blessing as Brady is looking for K. Thompkins a lot. Maybe be a sleeper Brady likes. L.Hawkins also looks quick(Branch when young) and should contribute on offense. Matty P ran the practice until BB got there. He had to speak after Tedy and then quickly changed to his shorts and hoody and was out there in chill mode(not much yelling)

I hear you on Gregory and thought of him as a one year players last year, so if he continues than that's troubling to me

Ebner to me had a ton of talent but was going to take a couple years to develop. Considering his ST ability I was happy to have him on the roster because even in development he still gave a lot as a gunner

T. Wilson and Harmon are really concerning to me. If you are taking a mid 2nd rounder I can understand a year to develop but he should be pushing for a starting position this year or at least significant reps. I hateed the pick last year and thought it was a panic pick and still feel the same this year dispite some calling me reactionary last year. Harmon, though a 3rd round pick, to me could be another wasted pick. If you are a day 2 pick you again shouldn't need 3yrs to develop unless you can provide a lot on STs. To me it's a complete waste of a roster spot if a guy rides the bench for 2 yrs hoping he can develop in time. Especially when everyone had him graded a 6th-UDFA range player.

I wonder with the punt drills if they are trying to replace Edelmans duties in hopes that they can keep him healthier longer?

For the WR's Boyce and Dobson should be obvious to make the team, same with Slater and Amendola. Edelman most likely makes the team too so to me the competition right now comes down to Thompkins, Jenkins, and Hawkins and from what I'm hearing from people is Thompkins is making enough noise he won't make it through waivers. Could this be a year we see 3 rook WR's for Brady to toss to? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

No Prob, Eng

I hear you on Gregory and thought of him as a one year players last year, so if he continues than that's troubling to me

Ebner to me had a ton of talent but was going to take a couple years to develop. Considering his ST ability I was happy to have him on the roster because even in development he still gave a lot as a gunner

T. Wilson and Harmon are really concerning to me. If you are taking a mid 2nd rounder I can understand a year to develop but he should be pushing for a starting position this year or at least significant reps. I hateed the pick last year and thought it was a panic pick and still feel the same this year dispite some calling me reactionary last year. Harmon, though a 3rd round pick, to me could be another wasted pick. If you are a day 2 pick you again shouldn't need 3yrs to develop unless you can provide a lot on STs. To me it's a complete waste of a roster spot if a guy rides the bench for 2 yrs hoping he can develop in time. Especially when everyone had him graded a 6th-UDFA range player.

I wonder with the punt drills if they are trying to replace Edelmans duties in hopes that they can keep him healthier longer?

For the WR's Boyce and Dobson should be obvious to make the team, same with Slater and Amendola. Edelman most likely makes the team too so to me the competition right now comes down to Thompkins, Jenkins, and Hawkins and from what I'm hearing from people is Thompkins is making enough noise he won't make it through waivers. Could this be a year we see 3 rook WR's for Brady to toss to? 

Im in agreement on Gregory. I liked the signing until he came here and couldnt cover TE's. He still shows flashes when playing FS, but my problem is he is a career SS with a CB body and thats not good. # 32 is already a converted S so one is enough. Ebner I believe is ahead of Tavon Wilson on the depth chart and That is troubling if not for A.Wilson. I think its a matter of BB just putting Tavon and Duron on standby while Adrian gets up to speed. (giving Taovn B.O.T.D. here)  I like the talents at WR but I believe we have had talent there most years but Brady didnt HAVE to use them. I mean look at T.Price, we all saw the talent. So I think those guys will contribute this year if for no other reason than being Needed. If Gronk is out early, it will force Brady to use all options. As for your question about carrying  rooks. BB knows he aint gonna get production from 3 rook WRs in th same year so someone is going to I/R. WHoever is furthest behind or maybe has an injury. Right now I have Dobson as a lock(barring injury) and I have K.Thompkins making the active roster and Boyce going to I/R or Pup to see if anyone gets hurt in 1st 4 weeks. I would say Dobson, Amdendola, Thompkins, Edleman, Slater, Jenkins get the nod based on what I saw and they stash Boyce till next year. Slater is still needed for s/t and Jenkins gives you that Vet in case the young guys are slow to catch on. Try to put Aikan on practice squad.