Offseason Approach

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Re: Offseason Approach

Do you really want BB to draft a CB in round 1/2 

havent we gotten enough of RAS-I Dowling / Butler/wheatly 

the teams needs a OL/DT to be drafted in round 1 wendell and DT issues are more imporant to address than the CB position

i would draft a TE in round 3/4

WR can be found in round 2 , roddy white played this season on his last legs , you can get riley cooper or james jones for cheaper .

i would sign TJ ward for the SS position .

also 8.5M of dead money on hernandez contract are going to affect the approach to FA ,

A.Wilson ,D. Amendola , arrington should be all goners .

Wilfork will need to restructure or take a pay cut.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I wouldn't touch Mankins' contract.  No need to backload it more or guarantee him more money (which is what a restructure entails). 

Wilfork you either extend at low price and spread out the hit or cut outright and resign at a low price.  Either way that cap hit isn't happening.  You do the same with Connolly.  Maybe even with Gregory.

Extend Ghost for some cap relief.

Cut Soap and A Wilson

Let Spikes walk.  I'd rather let Edelman walk than give him 4/25 (sadly).  Let Wendell walk.  Keep Hooman, Fletcher and Collie on the cheap.  As pissed as I still am about Talib I think we still keep him, but if not the money has to go to the defensive line imo.  Raji, Joseph and Arthur Jones are all guys that are young and good.  Roddy is an interesting option.  I'd rather coax Tony G out of retirement (although not for what the Falcons paid) although that is way less likely. 

Priorities in the draft have to be the interior of both lines.  Another pass catching TE is probably worth taking a flier on as well. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to yakv's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the teams needs a OL/DT to be drafted in round 1 wendell and DT issues are more imporant to address than the CB position

WR can be found in round 2 , roddy white played this season on his last legs , you can get riley cooper or james jones for cheaper .

also 8.5M of dead money on hernandez contract are going to affect the approach to FA ,

[/QUOTE]

I do not want him too. But his cap hit if u release him is going to hurt..  It is cap hell.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Brandon Pettigrew is a guy they should pick up.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't touch Mankins' contract.  No need to backload it more or guarantee him more money (which is what a restructure entails). 

Wilfork you either extend at low price and spread out the hit or cut outright and resign at a low price.  Either way that cap hit isn't happening.  You do the same with Connolly.  Maybe even with Gregory.

Extend Ghost for some cap relief.

Cut Soap and A Wilson

Let Spikes walk.  I'd rather let Edelman walk than give him 4/25 (sadly).  Let Wendell walk.  Keep Hooman, Fletcher and Collie on the cheap.  As pissed as I still am about Talib I think we still keep him, but if not the money has to go to the defensive line imo.  Raji, Joseph and Arthur Jones are all guys that are young and good.  Roddy is an interesting option.  I'd rather coax Tony G out of retirement (although not for what the Falcons paid) although that is way less likely. 

Priorities in the draft have to be the interior of both lines.  Another pass catching TE is probably worth taking a flier on as well. 

[/QUOTE]

Good post, I agree on Wilfork, NE can't afford the cap hit.  I would like to keep Edelman but he may cost too much.  They should try to extend Ghost, Solder and McCourty, if the money works.  I am still debating if Gregory and Kelly should be cut.  I like Linval Joseph, 25 years old, run stuffer that can push the pocket.  No matter what I think there will be changes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Rusty the NFLPA does not allow players to take a pay cut.  All you can do is either extend at a lower salary and spread out the hit by guaranteeing the money left on the existing contract or guarantee the remaining money without extending which allows you to backload the contract even more.  Mankins is getting older.  I have no desire to backload his contract or keep him longer while guaranteeing more money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

I don't see how we can afford Raji. With Kelly, Vince (maybe back mid season to be used in spots?), Siliga, Jones and Vellano, not sure Raji would be good value based on his price on the market.

If we extend/cut Vince and don't resign Talib there is enough cash for a guy like Raji, Jones or Joseph imo.  Maybe they get more than I am expecting, but that is just my opinion.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

Since the team is basically built with all the key players under contract and budgeted for, there isn't much to be done, other than walking from some players or seeing if you can keep a couple of players under your terms (Edelman, Talib).

If BB nails yet another draft, watch out, folks. Any FA or trade move they make that might make some noise, simply may not matter. At some point, this team has to catch some breaks with health.

Restructures:

Mankins, Wilfork, Connolly (All 3 should be able to work with BB here)

Resign Attempts:  

Edelman - I think you can offer him a bit more than Amendola and he comes back. I've said it before, but the reason why no one was bidding on Edelman, Welker or Amendola last year is becaue they're seen as the same kind of player and the system makes that player. No knock on each, but it's the truth. A good, accurate QB and a good O Line and that kind of player can help move the sticks and you get similar production over 16 games, generally speaking.  

25 mil, 4, 10 guaranteed should do it.  I can't see Edelman going to a better franchise for more.  See if he'll take a bit less up front in 2014, until the cap jumps in 2015.  If the cap does jump this year, which is still not known, even better.

Collie - He loves it here. Can probably be had as stable, veteran insurance piece and can be had for a 1 year prove it deal.  2 million, nothing more.

Trade Option:

Roddy White -  Go ahead and toss  a 2nd rd pick (3rd rd if possible) to Dimitrioff/Pioli (just hired in Atlanta), because it is VERY unlikely they will be able to pay each Jones for his big time deal and White.  They'll take the pick.  Make the move. BB can then control the contract once the move is made.  Once Hern is convicted, you're cleared in 2015 and beyond, so you can just flip some of that money from Hern over to fresh deal for White, maybe he takes a pay cut to come here with a structured extension for 2015 and 2016, where BB controls that side of it.   He's no spring chicken, but I think he can still play at a high level for the next 2-3 years. As long as the money can be controlled, White is good with it, then it's a slam dunk option.

Talib - There is an influx in quality CBs on the market.  Rodgers-Cromartie, Tracy Porter (nice year on crappy Oakland), Vontae Davis and others. I think the union thinks the cap will jump this year, but that is not confirmed. The rumor has always been 2015, so that was a risk that the agent's took there. We'll see. Regardless, the flood of similar players at the same ages hurts those players. Also, Antornio Cromartie will likely be cut by the cash strapped JEts, so that's another player that will enter the market.

Personally, I think if his medicals check out, he's worth the risk for 1 more year, but only at the same kind of money. His advantage is he knows his tag price is 11 million, which ain't happening, so you could offer 1 year with a 2nd year based off of the 2014 deal's floor incentives (games played, INTs, Tackles, etc).

So, take it or leave it.  I think his range is hard to find and he's coming into his prime, but he's not worth a long term deal until he can prove he's healthy and can be there.

You can always target a CB in Rd 1 with similar measurables to bring in here to backfill.

In the draft, I would look lines as well, DT and C/G. I think that appears fairly obvious. Maybe Safety as well, as I think Gregory is gone.

Rd 1: CB (even if you get Talib back)

Rd 2: Roddy White (DT)

Rd 3: DT (Roddy White)

Rd 4: G/C (Safety)

Rd 5: Safety (G/C)

I'd walk from Wendell at this point because you have the impressive Kline ready to go as a reserve Guard or possible Center development.  

Resign Dane Fletcher, who can probably be had on the cheap along with Hooman.

[/QUOTE]

Thats actually a terrific post Rusty. Only thing with Roddy White is if he is made availbale do other teams involved make the price higher. I could live with a 2nd round pick for him though.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Good post Russ. I agree if we are to resign Talib it will need to be a similar deal as last year. Edelman is certainly a top priority here in FA. 

To me, Gregory needs to go. Cut him. It won't hurt us v. The cap and he makes no plays. He is average at best. We can get a Pollard or Whitner in here for cheaper and higher production too. And one of those two will add a hitter role back there so DMac can play a more natural FS role. 

Also let soap, and A. Wilson go too. Save more. Also agree we need to restructure Mankins, VW  and Wendell. 

I've said here before I love Roddy White and he would be huge to this offense IMO. If we could get him for a 2nd that'd be great but idk if ATL will. 

As for the draft I think getting a DT or TE early on is more important than CB. Bb does a phenomenal job finding Cb's in the Mid to late rounds so I trust him finding someone later. I think top priorities in the draft if we don't get Edelman or Roddy is another WR, another TE and DT. 

I would like : 

Rd1: trade down to pick #36 

#36 Austin Serferian Jenkins TE

Rd2: DT Daquan Jones

And then assess OL depth and CB from there. 

Also I'm sick of people saying to cut DA. It would be 7 million to cut him and technically his "rookie" year in this O. Give him time. Everyone is being impatient with The rooks who I think came along well this year. 

So all in all. Want a SS. DL & OL depth needed. TE depth too. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good ideas Russ.  I like the restructure candidates.  Roddy White is an interesting name.  If love to acquire him, but I would think long and hard about giving up a 2nd for him.  A 3rd or 4th seems more appropriate given his age and injury history.  Ware is a guy who I would LOVE to see land here, even if it means a sight over-pay.  I've always thought he was made to play in our Defense.  Good ideas.  Let's hope things work out for the best.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

Would like to add, Ware is 31 and likely VERY sick of losing Dallas and probably could be had for cheaper than people realize. I know this says he's not open to a paycut, but a restructure/extension would look that way to Ware.   

Then again, Jerry JOnes is so dumb, he might waste another year of cap hell and just rent Ware for no reason, when he cut him because there are no guarantees in his 2014 or 2015 deal.

Dallas is so far away, it's actually suicide for Ware if he doesn't ask for his release.

ESPN Dallas reports DeMarcus Ware does not expect to get cut, and is not open to a pay-cut. Per reporter Calvin Watkins, Ware  is open to restructuring. Going on 32, Ware is due a non-guaranteed $26 million over the next two seasons. A restructure would either come in the form of a s hort extension, or pushing some of his $12.25 million 2014 salary down the road in the form of a bonus. Expected to undergo arthroscopic elbow surgery this offseason, Ware missed the first three games of his career this season, and tallied only six sacks. Ware won't be cut, but he'll be on the spot in 2014.  Jan 20 - 4:21 PM Source:  Calvin Watkins on Twitter[/QUOTE]

I can't see Dallas keeping Ware. Dallas is in the worst shape CAP wise in the NFL (I believe)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

So, do you agree with me that Logie is overpaid and overrated?

Quality interior linemen should be able to play into their mid 30s like Matt Birk just did. But, yeah, he's signed through 2016, where he'd be 34.

I think almost every player with a large contract is overpaid.  That is the nature of almost all professional sports.  With the draft keeping the cost of young players down, veterans get bid up and are therefore overpaid relative to their production.  I still think Mankins is our best lineman.  My issue with him is I worry about his long term viability as he has been nicked up a fair amount over the years.  I'd prefer not to extend him any more years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to yakv's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please stay out of the big boy threads.  We've seen your comments before and they're horrendous.

Amendola had a decent start here in his first year. His cap hit is 7 million if cut, so stop saying it. You're dumb which makes your posts annoying.  Did you want to cut David Patten when has here? No, ya didn't back then, if you were even a fan.

It also makes no sense to cut A. Wilson if he wants play. You can always see how he looks in camp and if he fits. Arrington, again, a fine nickelback who can take away a slot WR, and you lose more if he's cut.

Please get to a college. Ugh.

TJ Ward is the guy who just took out Gronk and claimed he wasn't doing it intentionally. Not Patriot material and he will try to get Jarius Byrd money. No thanks.  

[/QUOTE]

Actually Russ TJ Ward is a very solid safety that Cleveland is going to try and keep. I do believe he went for Gronks knee but football is a nasty business sometimes.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Good thread

I like the Roddy White idea. He sort of gives them a bridge toward the further development of the younger receivers and gives them a perimeter guy they can count on right now.

Subject to Wilfork and Kelly being able to go next year as reasonable facsimiles of their previous levels and maybe Armstead too? the depth at DT isn't as big an issue. Still makes sense to draft one but I might argue a good edge rusher, either 4-3 end or 3-4 LB is more urgent.

I thought Chandler Jones looked a bit worn down late in the season. He played a lot. The Ware option is intriguing as he brings some scheme versatility.  I wonder about a guy like Jared Allen who is getting older, price may come down a bit and certainly doesn't look like the Vikes will be contending in a timeline relevant to him.

I have a gut feeling they'll get creative with contract structure and re-sign Talib, but if not there should be some vialbe veteran options.

I wouldn't mind seeing them draft offensive line first. I don't discount the ability to develop o-linemen and get decent ones later in the draft, etc but it would be nice to get that upgrade quickly and get bigger at the center position with someone who is ready to play soon.

Otherwise a good receiving TE is worth addressing early as well.

Should be a very interesting off-season.