Offseason News and Rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeastModeInitiated. Show BeastModeInitiated's posts

Offseason News and Rumors

This discussion for Patriots offseason new, like the signing of David Patten. Also rumors such as, Peppers to Patriots.

So what do you guys think about Peppers? Its expected that he'll get a smaller contract putting the Patriots in a good position. And what do you guys think about a draft pick + Moss for Marshall? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Offseason News and Rumors

I dont want Peppers.  He will be a good addition for this year, but once there is a cap, he will kill us.  I think he will cost wayyyyy tooooo much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I agree. Peppers is too expensive. Instead I hope Pats draft an OLB early in the draft and then perhaps sign J. Taylor when his ready.
    I think the Pats should go for Antonio Bryant as a 2/3 WR and then perhaps try to look at Dansby at ILB. I know he will be expensive, but besides being a good player he is also an emotional leader...something our defense lacks at the moment.

As for CBs I hope they can keep Bodden and then use Butler on the other side (I think he has alot of potential).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have to say that if VW signs then Peppers makes more sense! As for LBs I don't see them signing any of the RFA's available. Also if they sign Peppers it would be as a OLB/DE. They maybe take a run at Antonio Pierce as he's an Unrestricted FA. The draft is a completely different story.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Offseason News and Rumors:
    EVERYONE- Peppers will make nowhere near the 16 million+ he made this year! Realistically, he will average 10 million, given the average salary for his position and the fact that teams will not give huge contracts this offseason. The idea that he will make 16 million a year is absurd and so is the fact that he will "destroy" the salary cap for years to come. Did Moss' 3yr/27 mil contract destroy the Pats? NO! I'm not a big fan of Peppers but a four year contract would be perfect if the Pats want to go on one last Superbowl run(s).
    Posted by grammbo14

So you have Brady that will command at least 15 mil a year, VW another 10 a year, and  bring on peppers who has never played a down at OLB for 10 mil year.

35 mil in 3 players I don't think so, need Brady need VW can do without Peppers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

we can do without peppers?i suppose you can think of a proven player that can come in,or on the roster that can give the pats a pass rush they never had?yes there are good collage prospects,but they are not NFL proven,or proven they could make an impact there first year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

grammbo - Peppers has already said he's looking for a top 3 contract. If for some reason we can get him for around 10 mil and trade Moss then I'd be all for it but I doubt he'd want that little. In my eyes it comes down to either Wlfork or Peppers and we know what Wilfork can do but Peppers is a complete unknown in a 3-4 (or if we trade Wilfork completely rebuilding or D to a 4-3 is going to take more then a year or 2).

With cb, Bodden is one of the best on the market within reason. Asomugha's contract is just plain insane and makes him nearly untradable. Robinson is good but will command a high contract and is an unknown on this team. Bodden will get more then he was paid last year but plays as well as Robinson and will end up costing a bit less. How much less who knows but I like his play.

With wr I'm scared by Bryant as the system he played in is praccticaly the opposite as ours. If Galloway, a smart veteran, couldn't pick it up not sure if Bryant can either. I would however like to see the cost of Kevin Walter and if he's around Welker money I would love to grab him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I love when people say Peppers wants this or Peppers wants that. Truth is, Peppers has HIS figure but ultimately, the market decides what he truly gets.

Right now, believe it or not, The League (the Patriots and 31 other teams) have the leverage. Let's say three teams vie for Peppers (Bear, Patriots, and Eagles), if the best deal he gets is still far from his ideal number, what's he going to do? Sit out one season and possibly more with a lookout looming? He'll be at least 32-33 by the time he takes the field again so his age is going to knock down his ideal figure ANYWAY.

He'll take THE BEST OFFER he gets if he's being guided by the right agent, which is going to be based on the number of teams fighting for him and their desperation. The Patriots are desperate for a pass rush but hell, I know one thing for sure: they won't outbid themselves. This isn't baseball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdshea. Show jdshea's posts

I do not see Peppers ending up in NE, too much $ tied up in too few, that's not NE's method.  I see NE utilizing the 4 picks in the top 53 to move up when necessary and end up with 4 top prospects, one OLB/DE hybrid like Graham from MI, and solid WR, maybe Tate from ND top of the 2nd round, and possibly an OL for the future or a big short yardage RB. 

I would not be surprised to see Matt Light or Kazur traded, not many OL free agents and lots of need out there.  

Resign Faulk, he is a must with Welker out for the first half.  I think Burgess has more to offer with a year in this system, and with stronger inside LB and Strong Safety play, you can turn him lose more. 

Think SD would bite on Maroney for Cromartie?  If so, I do that quickly.

Tough schedule for NE next year, but I am optomistic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't want that headcase/overrated Cromartie. The kid basically AVOIDS tackling and I'm not sure I want that in any defensive player on my team. I think Ghost looks to make more big hits than Cromartie.

And with a handful of kids with many different women, he's not exactly "a good kid that tries hard who's just overmatched in the NFL"

Next.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdshea. Show jdshea's posts

Samuel avoided hitting, I watched that all year here in Philly (grew up in Worcester), but he can cover and gets his share of picks.  Our defense needs that kind of playmaker.  Outside of Sanchez, the DBs had a tough time turning over the ball.  Cromartie fits that bill.  I was not aware he was a trouble maker.  Thought SD wanted to get rid of him to fit in thier more recent draft pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Well Samuel avoided hitting too but he was your prototypical feast/famine player. He jumped so many routes to pick off passes but at the same token, he got burnt by making those same mistakes too. Then, every so often he had his moronic moments like dropping the game-winning pick in the Super Bowl to seal 19-0. ASSante also thrived because we had good pass rush back then (at least better than now) and the truth is, even the most talented secondary is going to get picked apart by the likes of Manning and Brees (and yes, Chad Henne) if there's nobody in their face making them hurry.

San Diego is dumping Cromartie for reasons aside from his off-field stuff but still, I don't see him fitting into THIS locker room with young kids who need better role models.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Freeway555. Show Freeway555's posts

One thing to consider is that just because Peppers/Moss/Brady averages 10 or 15 million a season, it doesn't mean that is what their cap number will be. Also, the Pats can definitely get creative with how they structure the deal, so I don't think the salary cap issue is so black and white. AND while I believe Peppers wants the most money, he also wants to win, and other than the Eagles, there isn't one real contender who wants Peppers because of the Final Eight Rule. Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Spend what it takes to get Peppers.  The cap number gets adjusted every year.  In two years it will be about $140 million.  Spend Like Vikings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1r3d12. Show m1r3d12's posts

Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard are free agents for oakland, I'm sure we can get one of the two and I can see them both fitting our system.

Morrison: 6'2" 240 lbs.

Defensive
      Tackles   Interceptions
    Year Team G Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
    2009 Oakland Raiders 16 133 109 24 2.0 -- 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --
    2008 Oakland Raiders 16 135 99 36 1.0 -- 1 1 0 0 0.0 0
    2007 Oakland Raiders 16 120 96 24 1.0 -- 10 4 0 94 23.5 45
    2006 Oakland Raiders 16 127 101 26 1.0 0 3 2 0 32 16.0 31
    2005 Oakland Raiders 16 116 91 25 0.0 -- 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --
    TOTAL 80 631 496 135 5.0 0 17 7 0 126 -- 45

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The latest rumor I heard is that the Pats are going to pick up:
    Peppers
    Dansby
    Bolden
    Marshall
    T.O.
    Mason
    Jason Taylor
    Branch
    L.T.
    Westbrook
    Asomugah
    and many more!

They will trade
    Moss
    Brady
    Wilfork
    Mankins

They will also manuever in the draft so they can pick up Suh, Spiller, Golden Tate, Spikes, and Sapp.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats can't waste money on Peppers when they have other holes to fill. 

RE, LOLB, CB, OT, WR, TE. 

We need to replace Seymour.
    They need to get rid of Thomas, then find his replacement.
    If they sign Bodden they might not need another CB, but it doesn't hurt to try for Cromatie. The guy can play CB, KR, PR, even some WR.
    Get rid of Light, draft a RT, move Kaczur inside to replace Neal.
    Sign Antonio Bryant, we need to stretch the field. Welker doesn't stretch the field. Trading Moss would destroy this offense so every body needs to shut up about trading him.
    Either try to re-sign Watson or draft an offensive TE. I'm tired of Welker always getting the ball. He bores me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

The Pats can't waste money on Peppers when they have other holes to fill.  RE, LOLB, CB, OT, WR, TE.  We need to replace Seymour. They need to get rid of Thomas , then find his replacement. If they sign Bodden they might not need another CB, but it doesn't hurt to try for Cromatie. The guy can play CB, KR, PR, even some WR. Get rid of Light, draft a RT, move Kaczur inside to replace Neal. Sign Antonio Bryant , we need to stretch the field. Welker doesn't stretch the field. Trading Moss would destroy this offense so every body needs to shut up about trading him. Either try to re-sign Watson or draft an offensive TE. I'm tired of Welker always getting the ball. He bores me.
    Posted by 49Patriots

Peppers would replace Thomas at LOLB.  And I don't think watching Wes Welker classifies as boring, though I do believe they should add another dimention to the offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The latest rumor I heard is that the Pats are going to pick up: Peppers Dansby Bolden Marshall T.O. Mason Jason Taylor Branch L.T. Westbrook Asomugah and many more! They will trade Moss Brady Wilfork Mankins They will also manuever in the draft so they can pick up Suh, Spiller, Golden Tate, Spikes, and Sapp.
    Posted by shenanigan

Also draft Tebow to replace Brady.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Also I don't know if you all have heard, But there's been word around the campfire that one my boys, Antoine- my half-black & half-samoan brotha got f'd up pretty good by his boss Marsellus because He got a little too personal with Marsellus's wife. Apparently Marsellus senta couple cats over to Antoine's place, took him out on his patio and threw his #ss over the balcony, bro' fell four stories; Had a lil garden on the bottom enclosed in glass, like a greenhouse...my brotha fell through that. Since then Antoine's developed a little speech impediment, and I tell ya-thats a d#mn shame; I just wanted to keep everyone on the up and up on this one, cause if you're thinking about givin Marsellus's new bride a foot massage like Antoine Rocky Horror did, I'd take a second ta think it over. Play with fire, you get burned. Some brotha do that to me, he better paralyze my %ss, cause if I'm still walkin I'm burying that fool. Ain't right what he did to Antoine though, but I ain't tellin Marsellus as much...  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

How come no one address ILB?? I think we need help at that position. Mayo is a stud and I think highly of Mckenzie, but he is still a rookie. Guyton is a joke and he needs to be replaced by someone with experience!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

haldager, there is no way to have studs at every position.  I too think we need another ILB, BUT I see many other needs higher on the list.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

haldager, I agree with Mordecai, we don't really need an ILB as bad as we need a RE or a LOLB. After we fix the holes on the team I could care less what the Pats do with their picks/money. They can resign Maroney to a 6 year extension for all I care. Plus Guyton just needs to get better at shedding his block. He has the tools needed to become a pretty good LB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

dont trash guyton, he did great when mayo went down, he looked bad cus he didnt have much help behind him thats all, we are looking pretty good at ILB but maybe they take dansby, or hire Bruschi on as a LB choach but i doubt that

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Peppers could cost less than what we are paying for Thomas.....

I say we get rid of Thomas and sign both Peppers and Jason Taylor.....re-sign Tully B-C as a back up....that should help our pass rush....