OG Brian Waters a Patriot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

OG Brian Waters a Patriot

Could be. The 34 year old, five (5) time pro-bowler worked out with the Patriots recently...and it is believed that contract terms were discussed:   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/brian-waters-visits-thttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Watersalks-contract-with-patriots/   

Here's a bio on Waters...who made the pro-bowl last season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Waters. Waters has been extremely durable over his 11 year NFL career: http://www.nfl.com/player/brianwaters/2503872/careerstats  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Re: OG Brian Waters A Patriot?

hey tex,
    if hes our best option, get it done.
    bring soem backfield help and maybe a 2nd c/g
    maybe even trade out a better wr.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I wouldnt be shocked if we sign him AND Gurode after week 1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I think its going to Gurode, we don't need both. We still need to find a safety and TE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Either way, Waters or Gurode, I'll be happy. Even happier if we sign both!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Adam Schefter is now reporting on ESPN that Waters is a done deal.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6929918/new-england-patriots-sign-brian-waters-source-says

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Signing him now means the Pats guarantee the contract for the full year.  That means someone else has to go now.  Who?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Who is cut or 'IR"d now?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Bye bye Butler!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

M. Reiss also speculates that Tarpinian could be a candidate for IR

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: OG Brian Waters A Patriot

I just removed the question mark from my "OG Brian Waters a Patriot" thread, since it now appears official...he will be a Patriot. This move was necessitated due to all the injury problems the Patriots have at the guard position: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/04/brian-waters-joins-the-patriots/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: OG Brian Waters A Patriot?:
    [QUOTE]hey tex, if hes our best option, get it done. bring soem backfield help and maybe a 2nd c/g maybe even trade out a better wr.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Agreed, brd. It's a done deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: OG Brian Waters a Patriot

yeah...as much as some don't like Butler, we need to keep him for now. Tarpinian less so. Tarpinian to IR, keep Butler unless you can get Joselio Hanson, or an upgrade over Butler. That is good speculation by Reiss.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I hate to say "I told you" to the people who thought Dan Connolly could cut it on a Super Bowl contender, but "I told you"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wow it's an embarrassment of riches, this is the result of players wanting to play for a winner. 

You trolls feel the burn, that's the bitter taste of jealousy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: OG Brian Waters a Patriot:
    [QUOTE]I hate to say "I told you" to the people who thought Dan Connolly could cut it on a Super Bowl contender, but "I told you"
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

It does appear that Connolly is best suited in a reserve role. After watching the Bucs, Lions, and Giants slash through the Pats OL like a knife through soft butter the past three weeks, it's obvious that the Pats needed to take steps to shore up their line.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Wow it's an embarrassment of riches, this is the result of players wanting to play for a winner.  You trolls feel the burn, that's the bitter taste of jealousy.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

True. But, let's not get too excited. Waters is 34 years old.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a good article on the Waters signing, and what it means to the team: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/834601-new-england-patriots-sign-brian-waters-what-it-means-for-the-team-overall

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]     Here's a good article on the Waters signing, and what it means to the team: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/834601-new-england-patriots-sign-brian-waters-what-it-means-for-the-team-overall
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Sound like he's durable. Started nine years and missed 3 games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Waters is old but he has plenty left in the tank according to all the snoops in the media. So now the Patriots have All Pros at 3 of the 5 O-line positions and another who is a multiple pro bowler and Vollmer is on the verge of being both. With Cannon and Solder in the waiting in the wings and Connolly as the main b/u on the interior this O-line should be solid... As for the need for an extra TE both Maneri and Solder have experience from their college days as Te's albeit as blockers for the most part.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This is a good move. My concern is that we have alot of short term solutions (Waters, Elllis ,Haynesworth, Chad) to long term positional issues. We have alot of the over thirty crowd that could be retired in three years. Really hope that Solder and Cannon work out for O Line eventually.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]How many reserves and swing players do you need? I don't agree with this panicking rhetoric at all.   Connolly tweaks an ankle and all of a sudden he's awful and the season is over. Solder is the LT of the future.  Cannon, if healthy, can be the RG of the future. Great.  BB has 2 1st rd picks next year. Maybe he takes a Center? Vollmer is young.  Mankins is not young, but not old.  Koppen is the only guy you have to look at replacing in some fashion.  Connolly is a good starting Guard as proven last year over 14 games, outperforming Logan Mankins (don't flip out, check the stats). So, Connolly is a swing guy, as is Wendell, moving forward and I have no issue with Connolly starting based off of his good season last year.  If those two are your veteran swing players at C/G, that's pretty good, if not great. Overall, NE does a good job developing O Linemen.   Look at the Chicago Bears O Line and compare it to how NE develops and keeps theirs. So many teams have holes and NE really doesn't.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

This I can agree with

but Connolly is a filler lineman.  He isn't winning key battles for you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]This is a good move. My concern is that we have alot of short term solutions (Waters, Elllis ,Haynesworth, Chad) to long term positional issues. We have alot of the over thirty crowd that could be retired in three years. Really hope that Solder and Cannon work out for O Line eventually.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

You can look upon the glut of veterans playing for the Pats this season as a negative. But, there is a positive side to consider. The majority of the vets are here for one year-type deals. if they produce, great! If not, next season, they're gone, without any detrimental salary cap implications. The Pats will have cap flexibility to go after a quality free agent or two...and have plenty of high 2012 draft choices to add youth, and replentish the roster.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OG Brian Waters a Patriot :      You can look upon the glut of veterans playing for the Pats this season as a negative. But, there is a positive side to consider. The majority of the vets are here for one year-type deals. if they produce, great! If not, next season, they're gone, without any detrimental salary cap implications. The Pats will have cap flexibility to go after a quality free agent or two...and have plenty of high 2012 draft choices to add youth, and replentish the roster.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

the vets who come here for a chance to contend are great values for hungry players who are already proven commodities

the Pats have always had a good blend of these guys on their roster.  The last time they had seemingly too many is when they went to the Super Bowl back in 2001-2002 with Phifer, Cox, Otis Smith, et al.

I like their current blend.