OL Ojinnaka traded to the Patriots....terms undisclosed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

OL Ojinnaka traded to the Patriots....terms undisclosed

http://twitter.com/caplannfl

Source tells FOXSports.com that the Falcons have agreed to trade OL Quinn Ojinnaka to the Patriots. Compensation undisclosed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_Ojinnaka

Legal Trouble

In May 29, 2009 , Ojinnaka was arrested at his home in Suwanee, Georgia after he fought with his wife and spat at her during an argument over a female friend of his on the social networking Web site Facebook, according to a police report. Ojinnaka told to the police his wife tried to stab him with a pen, and she said he threw her on some stairs before tossing her out of the house, the police report said[1].

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: OL Ojinnaka traded to the Patriots....terms undisclosed

Mike Reiss MikeReiss Attempting to confirm the Foxsports.com report on Pats acquiring Ojinnaka. Falcons could use WR help. Pats have surplus there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Breer always follows Reiss with confirmations and posts.....lol

albertbreer
    Have confirmed, via an NFL source, that fifth-year OL Quinn Ojinnaka has been traded to Patriots. via Echofon

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Albert Breer albertbreer

Falcons confirm deal, Ojinnaka to Patriots for an undisclosed draft pick.

http://twitter.com/albertbreer

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Just what we need....an O-lineman who gets flagged for offensive holding....IN HIS OWN HOUSE!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I want to know what it cost.  Hopefully we gave them Maroney and Wilhite.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Man Rocky, Gotta say "Big Thanks" here from ALL- Ya don't get a +1 for just breaking the good news RE: Depth @ OG spot 1 day after report of Kaczur goin' down, Imo at least, Ya get an added +1 for breaking Any & All Patriots's News in what- like 27 seconds flat after the news is first reported ANYwhere...sheez (this is a Plus 2, for the jets's fans who need the calculation figured in for them).

Anyway, MY take:  Now, I have ZERO Idea thus far, RE: Anything about Ojinnaka...he!!, I thought that Bill Belichick had gotten bored with schooling the National Football League- And setting his goals just a bit higher, Had finally gone overboard by sending The New England Patriots's Team en masse in a strike first invasion of a Japanese held Island.
       So really, I'm about ta do some more research on Ojinnaka and 21st Century Colonialism... 

Either way, I'm ASSUMING Ojinnaka played in the preseason game we just had vs Atlanta, So being presumptuous here, I am LOVING the fact that Belichick & Dante S. MUST have seen something that they both liked pretty nice, in order to corral this guy like this...  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

My guess is a 7th round pick

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Cutdown time is approaching.  My guess is that Atlanta has five pretty good guards and Ojinnaka was number five on the list.  The Falcons would have had to cut him to get down to a 53 man roster. 

Meanwhile the Pats are down two guards, not one.  They needed a fifth year man to step in next month if needed.  A promising rookie wouldn't work.  The Patriots apparently got a look at the guy in action and he seemed to fit the bill.  Based on previous BB preferences, my guess is that he's intelligent, he's aggressive and he plays good pass protection, although his run blocking is less than optimal. 

Ojinnaka appears to have had a mutual spat with his wife last year.  It might be that she tried to stab him.  Mrs. Kraft does not like wife-beaters on the Patriots football team, so I'll assume that the situation was thoroughly examined.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: OL Ojinnaka traded to the Patriots....terms undisclosed:
    [QUOTE]I want to know what it cost.  Hopefully we gave them Maroney and Wilhite.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

Hs was a fifth round draft selection by the Falcons in 2006. He has started about 17 games out of 64 possible games. Not much to say about him. Looks like the only position he can play is guard. 

He is suspended by the NFL for the first game of the upcoming season for the domestic violence arrest. Supposedly his wife became jealous about his interactions on Facebook with another woman and attacked him with a ball point pen. The pen is mightier than the sword!
    According to his wife he threw her upon some stairs and then he tossed her out of the house. 

He played this preseason against the Patriots in both the scrimmage and preseason games. Can't see the Patriots trading higher than a fourth round draft selection for him, probably more likely they gave a 6th or 7th round draft selection next year for him.

Looks like a safety net move for the position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Here ALL, I'll add my part on some stuff that I've found out about Ojinnaka tonight...

#1 The guy's versatile AND He's comin' from, as some of ya might know, A very good Atlanta Offensive Line

Ojinnaka's most current Ht/Wt combo given from One of The Falcons main sites, Lists him @ 6'5 and 309 lbs.

Ojinnaka has filled in at EVERY (yes, Every) Offensive Line position at some point or another for The Falcons:  O-Guard, O-Tackle, and yup, even Center.

Think here some of the names whom Quinn Ojinnaka has BOTH backed up AND has filled in for, For several games at a spurt after/when any one of these guys has gone down for Atlanta due to Injury:

Ojinnaka has filled the spots of Tyson Clabo, Renardo Foster, and Wayne Gandy @ Offensive Tackle.

Ojinnaka has also filled in at various intervals, the spots of Justin Blalock, Harvey Dahl, and Kynan Forney @ Offensive Guard.

~Just the fact that The Atlanta Falcons through the span of 2006-2009, Have had their O-Line stocked with: Sam Baker, Justin Blalock, Todd McClure, Harvey Dahl, Kynan Forney, Tyson Clabo, Todd Weiner, Wayne Gandy, Renardo Foster, Alex Stepanovich, Brett Romberg, Matt Lehr, Ben Claxton, & with the new guys being Will Svitek, and Garret Reynolds...I mean, Is THIS even RIGHT!?!  I have heard oof EVERY SINGLE Freaking One of these Guys...good god, If NE had HALF that O-Line within a 3 year span, they'd be absurd. 
         2008 Rank by Football Outsiders: #1 Overall (No "Excellent" Team Rankings & Atlanta topped the List @ #1 of "Very Good").  2009 Rank by Football Outsiders: #3 Overall (Again, Atlanta's O-Line topped the list of "Very Good", but Tennessee & New Orleans were both #1 & #2 under "Excellent"- Atalnta's O-Line being only #2 Overall Ranked in Run Offense, and only #5 Overall Ranked in Pass Protection, lmao)...

#2 The SI.Com 2006 NFL Draft Bio on Quinn Ojinnaka:

Position: T
     Class: Sr
     School: Syracuse
     Conference: Big East
     Ht., Wt.: 6-4.5, 309
     40 Time: 5.48
      Selected by: Atlanta Falcons
      Round 5, pick 6 (139 overall)

BIO: "Two-year starter who has played extensively since his freshman campaign."

POSITIVES: "Athletic blocker with the footwork necessary to handle the left tackle position. Plays with good pad level and stays square. Immediately gets his hands into opponents, displays good punch and anchors at the point. Quick to the second level and gets good fits on opposing linebackers. Seals defenders from the action with good positioning."

NEGATIVES: "Lacks the dominant base and has difficulty finishing blocks. Must make better use of angles."

ANALYSIS: "A self-starter who blocks with solid fundamentals, Ojinnaka needs to improve his overall body strength, yet has potential as a spot-starter in the NFL."

#3 The New England Patriots WERE Interested in Quinn Ojinnaka during the 2006 NFL Draft (THIS, From a Syracuse University Web-Page 2006 take on SU Players taken that year): 

Quinn Ojinnaka: Atlanta Falcons
    "The Atlanta Falcons selected offensive lineman Quinn Ojinnaka with the sixth pick in the fifth round (139th overall). Ojinnaka's selection makes him the first former Orange student-athlete to be drafted by Atlanta since 1986, when the Falcons chose linebacker Tim Green with the 17th overall selection in the draft.

As Webb notes in his blog,
    Ojinnaka, suprisingly, had a number of suitors:

Ojinnaka said he received calls from the Cowboys and Patriots in the fifth round telling him to hang tight, that each club was prepared to possibly draft him. He said when the Atlanta Falcons came on the screen, he looked away thinking they had no interest. As soon as he did, the phone rang. Ojinnaka said he did not recognize the number and thought, "this is it." The call was from Altanta Falcons coach Jim Mora, announcing his selection
    ."

~OVERALL, Seems like a VERY good find, from ateam which currently has and Has Had, and extremely good and deep Offensive Line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Not exactly a player with playmaking abilities. Actually just a boring signing of someone another team couldnt make use of. Are the Pats afraid of taking good players this season??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

Im going to trust Bill Belichick on this one....He has a very good rep with picking O-Linemen and with this guy coming to New England I would think it will excite him to play his best. As for the Media with the reporting on spousal abuse, yes it can be a very serious issue, but spitting on someone and pushing them to the stairs then putting her outside the door when they came at you to stab you with a pen is not the same as punching or slapping her around. Granted spitting on her is not a very nice gesture but its better than a 6 foot 5 inch man punching down a woman. Lets just hope its a one time incident and this guy can be developed into another SeaBass type find for the Offense!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

More media BS. There is no way Kraft will allow someone like this on his team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Breer always follows Reiss with confirmations and posts.....lol"

Yeah, Reiss is a real reporter, Breer is an Internet blowhard offering opinions while browsing the web in his underoos. Unfortunately since this is how Breer is learning the business the chances of him growing up into a good reporter are slim to none. At best he will carry Mazz's beer cooler for him while Mazz pops a six pack and whacks out his next poorly-researched rant.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Thgis is a pre-emptive move. Kaczur is out for the season and Mankins isn't coming back. That leaves them with a need so they filled the need with a player who they had prior interest in... He will improve by week 4 in the Dante Scarnecchia school of O-linemen. Probably cost a mid round draft choice 4-6. We will see as to how good he is,cuts are coming ! So this week is a big week to show what you have in the NFL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

In other words...........Kaczur is out for the year........Mankins has played his last game in a Pats uniform...........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

[QUOTE]In other words...........Kaczur is out for the year........Mankins has played his last game in a Pats uniform...........
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]

Basically!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Did I miss any links?  LOL  I know how we all appreciate links!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Ah, I see Mike reiss has this deal for an undisclosed draft choice.. Backup O-Lineman cant be more than a 6th.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Haven't seen Ojinnaka play much, but from what I read (and from his size) he seems like a guard-tackle swingman in the Pats system--so a fill in for the role Kaczur was going to play this year.  We still need depth at OT, I think. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

This is one of those acquisitions that doesn't get fans excited, but if you've watched the second halves of the two preseason games you know it's a BIG deal. The Patriots are desperately thin along the OL, and getting a guy who has started at both guard and tackle will provide solid depth. Also, Stephen Neal is on his last legs. This guy may be a reasonable replacement next year if Dante can coach him up. I'm a big fan of this move as long as it's only for a 5th round pick or lower. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]This is one of those acquisitions that doesn't get fans excited, but if you've watched the second halves of the two preseason games you know it's a BIG deal. The Patriots are desperately thin along the OL, and getting a guy who has started at both guard and tackle will provide solid depth. Also, Stephen Neal is on his last legs. This guy may be a reasonable replacement next year if Dante can coach him up. I'm a big fan of this move as long as it's only for a 5th round pick or lower. 
    Posted by marvcook[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I think we can piece together a reasonable group of starters (probably Connolly, Neal, Koppen, Vollmer, and Light), but unless some of the young guys step up, we are dangerously weak if any injuries occur (and as you say, Neal is old--plus I'd add that Light is getting old too).  Tackle has me particularly concerned, because we only have LeVoir and Welch (and maybe Ojinnaka) as back ups.  We have more competition at guard and center, but without Mankins, most of the guys other than Connolly and Neal are pretty unproven.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

It is true that the Patriots had real interest in drafting Ojinnaka when he was coming out of school and,apparently,that interest was renewed when the Pats scrimmaged and then played the Falcons this past week.He plays a both tackle and guard,with guard being the best use of him.At six four and a half and about 310 pounds he could serve as a versatile reserve.It's hard to believe they gave up more than a 6th round pick for him.He could well have been cut by the O.L.rich Falcons but probably would have been snatched up by a team who had a worse record than N.E.last year.Should another O.L.be cut that the Pats covet it wouldn't be a surprise at all if they tried to claim his as well as a couple of additions wouldn't be a bad idea given their current situation(read this the Mankins problem).