One GREAT mismatch lost, One GREAT mismatch found

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

One GREAT mismatch lost, One GREAT mismatch found

OK, Gronk will not be on the field. We will miss all aspects of his game. One of those was creating mismatches when he went downfield as a receiver. But we have another player who creates hugely dangerous mismatches who we are only beginning to scratch the surface with: Vereen.

Vereen was an accomplished receiver in college. He has WR speed and ran patterns and caught balls in college. We have started to use him as a receiving target. His 83 yard catch and run v the Phins highlights his explosiveness (more dangerous than Rice speed wise). The catches against Houston highllight his catching ability and his route running ability.

When he is used as another receiver on any given play what does a D do to cover him? They almost have to put a LB on him (if they have an extra D back then it gives more opportunity to use this dynamic running game). A LB on Vereen is a huge mismatch. Given the problem, Vereen being targetted 10 times a game could become a regular stat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: One GREAT mismatch lost, One GREAT mismatch found

If Vereen goes out wide he'll be covered by a CB.  Film will show you that.  I look for BB to throw in a wrinkle or two in that setup to take advantage of the matchup.  If the Ravens use a LB he'll go straight down field.  If a CB he'll take him across field.  They can't win on this.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Ray Lewis in coverage against any of our skill position players is a mismatch.  The end.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I see Whooman getting some action this weekend.  He had zero targets last weekend and maybe the Pats didn't feel comfortable going to him but he is about the same weight as Gronk, a few inches shorter but he can catch. I bet he will get some targets this weekend.  Along with Vereen showing what he has, the Patriots will open this thing up to where the Ravens have no idea who to cover.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I see Whooman getting some action this weekend.  He had zero targets last weekend and maybe the Pats didn't feel comfortable going to him but he is about the same weight as Gronk, a few inches shorter but he can catch. I bet he will get some targets this weekend.  Along with Vereen showing what he has, the Patriots will open this thing up to where the Ravens have no idea who to cover.

+1 I have a feeling either Hooman or Fells or both combined will be inored and end up with 8 catches for 90+ yards or something in that neighborhood.