oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me....

This roster is stacked and looks like it could be the best season yet under BB and TB and then I look at the OL and say damn the weakness.

Nevermind Solder replacing ML, think Solder will perform well but there's not depth behind him.  I'm not counting on Vollmer yet, his back issues go back to college.  So if Vollmer is down, Solder goes down who takes over at LT?

There are also questions in the interior, where's waters?  Hope that buy spreading Ds out they can't commit to a full out blitz or try to rush only 4.  Even then with a an OL at less than full strength could be trouble.  One saving grace would be how much can Gallery improve with the best OL coach in the league.

So as camp starts I'm not worried about the D but the OL. One injury and it will look just like it did last season with the safeties.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me....

You can do the what if's for injury with every team though. I mean there is only 53 available players, how many T's do you want them to stack?

Cannon played well at RT imo the times he was on the field. IMO, he should be able to handle the duty if Vollmer is either injury or needs to move over the LT.

Solder hasn't shown he's injury prone so the only question to me is if he can handle the starting position

Gallery was a starting T in Sea and performed well. Not at a pro-bowl but well enough that he won't get Brady killed if he needs to play T

Say what you will, maybe I'm optimistic, but from what I seen of those 4 players abilities we have an above average T core, esp compared to other teams who would love to have the talent at backups that we do.

When you move inside Mankins will be back and again you have Gallery and Cannon who could play inside. Then you have Connolly who will most likely be the starting C but in a pinch has been a starting G before. Wendell or McDonald have both started and played well when starting so that's not a huge question mark to me either. I guess the only question marks to me is what's up with Waters and if Koppen will continue his trend downward. Even if he does they have a guy in Richards who was a spot starter in Indy protecting Manning.

I would say it's unrealistic to expect pro-bowl caliber players at every position and 3 starting caliber backups on the OL but it's completely realistic to say that they have an above average OL with one of the best OL coaches in Scar and some good talented depth to back them up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Just my opinion but i think the O-line is the deepest and most experienced unit of the team. Also lead by one of the best in coach Scar. Any group that can consistently protect a QB who throws 40X a game is doing its job. I also think we have a future star in "The Cannon", if Volmer can't get on the field imo we will lose little production at the RT spot. 2 vet versatile centers, a future pro-bowler in Solder, and the icing on the cake for any good O-line....2 Pro-Bowl guards.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

You mean just because Waters, Light, Mankins, Koppen, and Vollmer, are either gone or questionable to be healthy you're nervous? I mean what's the big deal? It's not like that's basically the entire starting lineup from the beginning of last season or anything? Right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I see where you are coming from, but as someone said - what-ifs can be applied to any team. Vollmer is a question for sure, but they should be okay. Plus, if a JAG has to be inserted into the lineup - the Pats have the best OL coach in the game. No one ever heard of Dan Connolly or Nick McDonald and they have each been solid. Looking ahead to next years draft, I would hope they target OL to replace Waters, potentially Vollmer, and provide depth. Any mammoth 6'8 tackles with quick feet coming out next year?

Edit: Cannon will replace Waters, but still want to see them look for depth at guard and tackle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me....:
    [QUOTE]I see where you are coming from, but as someone said - what-ifs can be applied to any team. Vollmer is a question for sure, but they should be okay. Plus, if a JAG has to be inserted into the lineup - the Pats have the best OL coach in the game. No one ever heard of Dan Connolly or Nick McDonald and they have each been solid. Looking ahead to next years draft, I would hope they target OL to replace Waters, potentially Vollmer, and provide depth. Any mammoth 6'8 tackles with quick feet coming out next year? Edit: Cannon will replace Waters, but still want to see them look for depth at guard and tackle.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

It's early in the season but next years draft looks like a very deep and talented draft for G's. You can most likely get a starting LG in the 2nd and a starting RG maybe late 3rd if you wanted to. That is where I would target them truthfully since there might not be a huge difference between a last 1st and late 2nd round G. T on the other hand is a bit thinner. So, my first choice would be Cannon at RT if Vollmer can't stay health and grab a G in the mid-late second and maybe target a young WR in the 1st next year. But, like I said it's still very young in the season and we'll have to see what the college players turn into and how the Pats OL performs. Don't forget we also got a couple of young very talented G/T's as UDFA's. One of which has starting RT capability but slipped because of injury that would put him on PuP at best to begin the year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Just my opinion but i think the O-line is the deepest and most experienced unit of the team.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Agree with you

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me....:
    [QUOTE]This roster is stacked and looks like it could be the best season yet under BB and TB and then I look at the OL and say damn the weakness. Nevermind Solder replacing ML, think Solder will perform well but there's not depth behind him.  I'm not counting on Vollmer yet, his back issues go back to college.  So if Vollmer is down, Solder goes down who takes over at LT? There are also questions in the interior, where's waters?  Hope that buy spreading Ds out they can't commit to a full out blitz or try to rush only 4.  Even then with a an OL at less than full strength could be trouble.  One saving grace would be how much can Gallery improve with the best OL coach in the league. So as camp starts I'm not worried about the D but the OL. One injury and it will look just like it did last season with the safeties.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

bb said re waters absence "it's similar to minicamp". in minicamp it was an excused absence. line will ook better when mankins and wates are in there.
    and yes it will look a whole lot better if vollmer can stay healthy all year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me.... : It's early in the season but next years draft looks like a very deep and talented draft for G's. You can most likely get a starting LG in the 2nd and a starting RG maybe late 3rd if you wanted to. That is where I would target them truthfully since there might not be a huge difference between a last 1st and late 2nd round G. T on the other hand is a bit thinner. So, my first choice would be Cannon at RT if Vollmer can't stay health and grab a G in the mid-late second and maybe target a young WR in the 1st next year. But, like I said it's still very young in the season and we'll have to see what the college players turn into and how the Pats OL performs. Don't forget we also got a couple of young very talented G/T's as UDFA's. One of which has starting RT capability but slipped because of injury that would put him on PuP at best to begin the year
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

other than o line,
    bbs track record for wr's is pretty poor. but yeah a beast wr would look real good, as would a cover safety, and you never have enough good cbs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bedard got a smile from waters. when bb said ask brian, and bedard came back with he said ask you. then the smile. so i wouldnt worry much bout waters

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Just my opinion but i think the O-line is the deepest and most experienced unit of the team. Also lead by one of the best in coach Scar. Any group that can consistently protect a QB who throws 40X a game is doing its job. I also think we have a future star in "The Cannon", if Volmer can't get on the field imo we will lose little production at the RT spot. 2 vet versatile centers, a future pro-bowler in Solder, and the icing on the cake for any good O-line....2 Pro-Bowl guards.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Agree with you
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

If both TrueChamp and kansaspatriot feel this way then it makes me feel a bit better, I respect their opinions.

BTW, I think Waters will join the team soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The Pats have a way of developing O linemen out of scrubs. Theres going to be injurys during the season, I'm sure Bill B has a plan. If we can see the depth and injury issues no doubt he sees it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I imagine we'll see a whole lot of hand offs in pre season until the unit gets put back together.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it's encouraging that Koppen has finally looked decent in a practice for the first time this year. We will need him if we are going to put a line out there in September that has some experience in this system. I'm not saying Koppen is a long term answer (not at all), but we need something to help the middle of that line. Right tackle will also be a mystery if Vollmer isn't ready.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JetsMangione. Show JetsMangione's posts

The offensive line looks like a train wreak. Its the defense that will carry this team unless they run the ball. Brady will get sacked 50 times if they try and throw every down like last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A defense can commit to defending the run or pass on any given play, first the D must prove they can stop the run, if not the opposing team should run all day.

If the D proves they can stop the run it is the job of the pass game to pick apart the open spots on the field.

Please let's not get into another run vs pass argument, let's just assume if you think being one dimensional is a good trait for an offense that you're an idiot and move on.

When did the ability to be a multidimensional threat become a negative?

Daft...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to "Re: oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me....": [QUOTE]A defense can commit to defending the run or pass on any given play, first the D must prove they can stop the run, if not the opposing team should run all day. If the D proves they can stop the run it is the job of the pass game to pick apart the open spots on the field. Please let's not get into another run vs pass argument, let's just assume if you think being one dimensional is a good trait for an offense that you're an idiot and move on. When did the ability to be multidimensional threat become a negative? Daft... Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE] That's all coaching.... I'm sure when we have the personnel the pats will play more diverse. I'm sure BB didn't forget the play book from our superbowl years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: oooohhhh OL how nervous do you make me....": That's all coaching.... I'm sure when we have the personnel the pats will play more diverse. I'm sure BB didn't forget the play book from our superbowl years.
    Posted by csylvia79[/QUOTE]

And yet we've changed offensive coordinator four times... I'm sure that has no bearing on anything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

OL is deep. It is now August, not November. The Pats have Connolly who is a good solid guard and a good solid C and Koppen and Solder and Cannon and they will likely have Volmer. THey will at some point of Mankins - a real all pro and a real tough gamer who gets some bad press here but BB and Kraft love him enough to get over the bad blood during the contract talks (not the usual thing even here in NE). I think they get Waters back. THey have 2 or 3 OTHER good dependable back ups.

THEY HAVE DANTE - the best line coach and maybe the best position coach in the league!

And lastly, BB does not scrimp on protecting TB.

The O line makes me confident, not nervous.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]Im very nervous.  We had  a very good unit last year that. We have a lot of missing pieces right now.   We already lost Light to retirement. Who was as good as you can get protecting the blind side. Now with mankins,vollmer waters out. 4 of our starters from last year are currently out. Thats scary.  Keeping TB up is paramount to our success. We are going to need the guys to hold down the fort, until mankins, vollmer return (and hopefully waters). Hopefully TB doesnt get killed in the meantime.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]

I do not think TB plays in this first preseason game at least due to the fact that the o line (starters or not starters) are not yet quite ready to protect him effectively. Not wanting to risk things BB could not play him. I expect TB to play in the second and third but maybe not the last preseason game (or at least not much of the last rpeseason game).