Opinion on Triple-Option offense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Opinion on Triple-Option offense

I know this is rather off-topic, but after I watched College Football all day yesterday and all the talk about the "Wildcat" offense, what does everyone think about the triple-option based offensive attacks?

Personally, I can't stand them in the NFL or the bigger college programs.  I don't mind smaller schools or schools with lesser talent using them in college, such as Boise State (not that they have less talent, but their crazy offensive schemes help win a lot of games), Navy, etc. 

However, I can't stand seeing Florida use that style of offense and then claiming that they're so great.  I think if they have superior talent then they should run a more straight-up style of spread offense and start throwing it instead of running an option-style play nearly every single play. 

If a team uses it for like 5 or 6 plays a game, then I don't mind it so much.  I don't really care for that style offense, but that's just my opinion. 

Anyone else have an opinion on the triple-option offense or any other style of offense that might be considered "gimmicky"?  Not saying triple-option is a gimmick though, just asking a question. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Opinion on Triple-Option offense

I hate them because they're boring as f*ck to watch.  I still firmly believe that you could train monkeys to run them, and I think smoke and mirrors systems are only for teams that lack the mental capacity in their coaching and/or players to run something more advanced, like the Urban Meyer run'n'gun or Bob Stoops' spread offense.

BUT I think the discrepancy between the increase in athletic talent and mental talent has made the option a viable option as it can be taught because it's simple, but it's difficult for defenders to react because of professional speed and execution.

It's a good change of pace until proven otherwise.  Hopefully people keep shutting it down so we can watch more modern football, and there is hope because there's a limit on the number of plays that can be run from it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A joke. Never work in the NFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Opinion on Triple-Option offense:
    [QUOTE]A joke. Never work in the NFL.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Have you been watching the same game I've been watching?  Because the triple option seems to be doing alright for itself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Opinion on Triple-Option offense:
    [QUOTE]I know this is rather off-topic, but after I watched College Football all day yesterday and all the talk about the "Wildcat" offense, what does everyone think about the triple-option based offensive attacks? Personally, I can't stand them in the NFL or the bigger college programs.  I don't mind smaller schools or schools with lesser talent using them in college, such as Boise State (not that they have less talent, but their crazy offensive schemes help win a lot of games), Navy, etc.  However, I can't stand seeing Florida use that style of offense and then claiming that they're so great.  I think if they have superior talent then they should run a more straight-up style of spread offense and start throwing it instead of running an option-style play nearly every single play.  If a team uses it for like 5 or 6 plays a game, then I don't mind it so much.  I don't really care for that style offense, but that's just my opinion.  Anyone else have an opinion on the triple-option offense or any other style of offense that might be considered "gimmicky"?  Not saying triple-option is a gimmick though, just asking a question. 
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]
    Triple option is a little risky with all the pitches. It is a more effective weapon the way it is used right now when you don't know it's coming. I'm a huge Nebraska fan and they ran the option better than anyone in college. Your offensive line has to be devastating in order for it to work well because the plays take a long time to develop. It's a nice wrinkle to have though.