Optimistic About Pats' 2009 Draft Class?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Optimistic About Pats' 2009 Draft Class?

From the Mike Reiss reports we're getting, the Pats' 2009 recruits certainly sound promising. It appears that Patrick Chung has the tools to develop into a solid SS...NT Ron Brace appears to be the perfect compliment to Vince Wilfolk (who I now believe that the Patriots will sign)...CB Darius Butler appears to have the capabilities to develop into another Asante Samuel...and Sabastien Vollmer, a/k/a Sea-Bass, looks like he could be the real deal as an NFL OT. 

Sea-Bass is the key to the Pats' draft. If he develops into a dominant OT, he, along with his fellow 2009 class members...plus 2008 selections Kevin O'Connell and Jarod Mayo...could be the core group of players responsible for the Patriots retaining their spot as an elite team, for the next 5-10 years.   

Thoughts?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Optimistic About Pats' 2009 Draft Class?

"IF" the 4 second rounders end up being good players, this was an excellent draft.  If one or two of the other players drafted or brought on as rookie FA's (Nunn, Edelman, Tate, McKenzie) are also good then this draft will go down as one of their best drafts ever.  Note that I said "one of their best" and not "the best".  Saying the best is too debatable.  One could argue that any draft that picks up Brady is the best.

And all this was done without Pioli.  In BB I trust.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Totally agree. I started a thread yesterday saying there will be many new faces on this years team. This years draft class could be exceptional and the key to the future. I believe at least five rookies will make this team...maybe more. Let's not forget about T. Nunn who could possibly take a roster spot over Slater. Ohmberger and Ingram have a great chance to make this team. This could easily turn out to be one of the best draft classes ever. Yes, I'm a homer. Yes, I'm overly optimistic. I can't wait for games to begin to see what we've got.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: Optimistic About Pats' 2009 Draft Class?:
    [QUOTE]And all this was done without Pioli.  In BB I trust.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

This draft was done with Pioli's input. All the scouting, analysis, and decision-making for this draft was done last season. Next year's draft is when we find out if we can live without Pioli.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

Lots of comments changed since the draft back in the spring, I remember some people being disappointed in the trades and picks in the draft!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't think there was any question but that the Pats needed to get younger, and early reports indicate that there is reason for cautious optimism regarding the baby Pats, but camp is camp and you are not likely to hear a lot of negative reports, whether players are fulfilling expectations or not. When we get to the exhibitions we will have a much clearer idea of how much we're hearing and seeing is public relations and how much of it is the actual future of the Pats. The ability to turn over personnel while keeping the Patriots near the top of the league has been a hallmark of the Belichick era. I have no reason to believe this year (or as Patpsycho points out, next year) will be any different.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

Well said!
    prairiemike

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

I am very optimistic about this draft class.  I think it will rank one of the best and certainly in BB's tenure.  In recent years, BB has hit on his 1st pick, but the drafts have not produced many starters after the 1st pick.

In the past, BB has always been guarded at giving compliments in training camp...Especially to the rookies.  On a few of his press conferences this year he has complimented Brace, Volmer and Chung.  I am very optimistic about these three.

I have not heard him talk too much about Butler, but no question he has the athleticism. 

One thing for sure, I am sure happy that we are not throwing around 1st round money and bonuses.  If 3 of the above 4 end up being starters in 2010/2011 this will be the best of BB's drafts.

I agree that Brady in the 6th round was the best pick ever, but that withstanding, this draft is looking better.  Time will tell when we see these guys in action and see if they can remain healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I certianly hope so. To a "t" these were all my guys, so if they stink it is gonna hurt, lol. Except for Vollmer, who I understood, but didn't have on the radar.

If this draft goes really well, then Floyd Reese can also be thanked because I am sure he had some part in selection, and has a long track record of being a very, very good drafter like BB and Pioli.

It takes four full seasons to really rate a draft, but I think a couple guys could see duty soon, including Vollmer and Chung.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

The most interesting thing about how draft played out is Pats got 4 2nd rounders for similar salary numbers of 1 mid 1st rounder with some additional future picks thrown in.  Always ahead of the curve.  They need some contributions from this crew to shore up depth issues.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The most interesting thing about how draft played out is Pats got 4 2nd rounders for similar salary numbers of 1 mid 1st rounder with some additional future picks thrown in.  Always ahead of the curve.  They need some contributions from this crew to shore up depth issues.
    Posted by BSII[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother! I love how the Pats manuevered to score four 2nd round picks, and several thirds...and how they converted two of those 3rd rounders into second rounders next year. Plus, 3rd rounders Brandon Tate and Tyrone  McKenzie should be healthy, and good to go.

As you said...always ahead of the curve...three second rounders next season, too.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]I certianly hope so. To a "t" these were all my guys, so if they stink it is gonna hurt, lol. Except for Vollmer, who I understood, but didn't have on the radar. If this draft goes really well, then Floyd Reese can also be thanked because I am sure he had some part in selection, and has a long track record of being a very, very good drafter like BB and Pioli. It takes four full seasons to really rate a draft, but I think a couple guys could see duty soon, including Vollmer and Chung.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Excellent point about Floyd Reese.  He has a very good track record.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

In Response to Optimistic About Pats' 2009 Draft Class?:
    [QUOTE]     From the Mike Reiss reports we're getting, the Pats' 2009 recruits certainly sound promising. It appears that Patrick Chung has the tools to develop into a solid SS...NT Ron Brace appears to be the perfect compliment to Vince Wilfolk (who I now believe that the Patriots will sign)...CB Darius Butler appears to have the capabilities to develop into another Asante Samuel...and Sabastien Vollmer, a/k/a Sea-Bass, looks like he could be the real deal as an NFL OT.       Sea-Bass is the key to the Pats' draft. If he develops into a dominant OT, he, along with his fellow 2009 class members...plus 2008 selections Kevin O'Connell and Jarod Mayo...could be the core group of players responsible for the Patriots retaining their spot as an elite team, for the next 5-10 years.         Thoughts?   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

It was an incredible draft, and an incredible series of pick ups in FA this year.

Bodden and Springs... what an upgrade over Hobbs and O'Neal.

Burgess was a must need pick-up considering where they stood at OLB.

Chung, Brace and Butler already make this a better draft than the THREE previous drafts combined (not factoring in trades).  If Tate proves to be a solid player in the next couple of seasons, then this will be the best draft they have had since they last won a SB.

So, yes, an excellent offseason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Optimistic About Pats' 2009 Draft Class? : This draft was done with Pioli's input. All the scouting, analysis, and decision-making for this draft was done last season. Next year's draft is when we find out if we can live without Pioli.
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

You weren't paying attention to the offseason, Belichick did more traveling and more preperation for this Draft than he had in years... and Floyd is no slouch in the evaluation of talent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I would rather have four solid NFL caliber players than one Pro bowl pick in the 1st(except for QB).  Because football is a team sport!  This may end up being the best draft class for the Pats ever!  After the 2000 Draft of course.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

It would be hard to top Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin and Ty Law. But it's looking pretty good so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

The four second rounders look very good so far, and we haven't even seen Brandon Tate yet, who I believe could become a game changer as a receiver and returner.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

the most important pieces of this years class i believe in the immediate are ron brace and pat chung.  i agree that vollmer will be key next year and after that as some pats line men are up for free agency, but linemen are easier to find than the centerstone of any 3-4 defense, the NT.  if wilfork losses time to injury, this kid brace could step in and really, even if he just holds his ground, could be vital to getting over that hump.  same for chung, who is versatile enough to add that little x  factor spice that BB likes to throw at offenses, plus he could contribute if sanders or merriweather lose time at safety.  butler will be a future factor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

Nunn seems to be up and coming!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

and Ty McKensie will miss the season....but he will have a year of class, playbook and film...his time won't be wasted...and next year we'll see what he's(third round pick)got in him @ILB....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather have four solid NFL caliber players than one Pro bowl pick in the 1st(except for QB).  Because football is a team sport!  This may end up being the best draft class for the Pats ever!  After the 2000 Draft of course.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Steve-o,

In general I agree with this sentiment, but I'm a college coach (not football), and I've come to realize that you have to have some stars as well as solid numbers.   I feel like you have to hit on one real star every couple of years, and then fill the roster with depth as much as possible every year, and hope that some of them develop into at serviceable starters and an occasional pro-bowler.  Anyone feel like breaking down the roster from this standpoint?  Tex?

That said, it would be nice to see the Pats draft an offensive star next year as all the studs are getting older. 

-chl

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

A nice post on PFW (Patriots Football Weekly) online about Nunn.  Their training camp blog seems to mention Nunn daily.  Reisses Pieces only mentions him now and then.  Nunn was a rookie FA, but right wrong or indifferent, I lump those guys in with the draft class.  It looks like we might have a real gem if he plays the games as good as camp.  Here is the article snippet:

Terrence Nunn

ProvMan compared him to Bam Childress. My response … I knew Bam Childress. Bam Childress was a fun player to watch while he was here. But Bam Childress is no Terrence Nunn. This guy’s the real deal. Childress made some nice catches here and there. Nunn makes spectacular catches every day, in all different ways. He’s far better and a bit faster than Childress ever was as a receiver. And Nunn has the chops. He’s Nebraska’s second-leading receiver in catches and yards, all-time. Yes, I realize the Huskers were a running team for decades, but still, those are excellent credentials. Besides, he catches EVERYTHING and he’s not afraid to do so while getting hit. If the 53-man had to be picked today, Nunn would be on it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

And the thing to think about Nunn, if he does make the team, which i do believe he will, he will be one of those WR without a double team, so he can get use to playing in games without being expected to do everything, and for a player like that, that can make all the difference. Its kinda one of those things were if he does bad people say o well he was just a RFA but if he does well he is the new hero (BJ Green Ellis).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]And the thing to think about Nunn, if he does make the team, which i do believe he will, he will be one of those WR without a double team, so he can get use to playing in games without being expected to do everything, and for a player like that, that can make all the difference. Its kinda one of those things were if he does bad people say o well he was just a RFA but if he does well he is the new hero (BJ Green Ellis).
    Posted by thejoshuatree28[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he could actually have a big year if he flies under the radar for a while.  I can't wait to see him in actual games to see if he can play as good then.  Just when you think that no rookie FA makes the 53-man roster this year, along rises Nunn's stock.