Option anxiety was Chad Ochocinco’s real problem in New England

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Option anxiety was Chad Ochocinco’s real problem in New England

More info:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/option-anxiety-chad-ochocinco-real-problem-england-031511493--nfl.html

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Option anxiety was Chad Ochocinco’s real problem in New England

In Response to Re: Option anxiety was Chad Ochocinco’s real problem in New England:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's time to move on. A WR who is still with the Patriots and who is not being talked about much is Jabar Gaffney. He's one of the few players who left the Patriots and actually did something. Gaffney was the leading WR on the Redskins last year, so I was surprised when Washington released him. Now he's reunited with Brady. http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/blitz/index.php/2012/06/07/jabar-gaffney-says-he-and-tom-brady-have-picked-up-right-where-they-left-off/
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]
    true...this one's been beaten to death.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: Option anxiety was Chad Ochocinco’s real problem in New England

In Response to Re: Option anxiety was Chad Ochocinco’s real problem in New England:
    [QUOTE]What I find annoying is the fact that Moss ran 5 routes here and they didn't care if he didn't master the option route element. They structured some of the offense and plays around him.   That was an easy decision and smart by BB.  But, I felt they should have done some similar things for #85. Keep it simple.  It's not like he was ever going to be a top option here anyway, with Branch, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez in front of him.  How many balls do we expect Brady to throw? I am not saying Ochocinco is Moss level, but I also don't get why every single WR needs to be a master of the offense with an expectation of HOF level play with blown out fantasy stats, when old school playaction works just fine, especially with Brady. When they traded for him, I thought: "great, better attitude than Moss, can run crisp routes underneath and over the top, and this means we'll be seeing more Weis plays like we did in 2010". Well, I was wrong. I think it turned out to be a square peg/round hole situation and frankly I am shocked they didn't throw him out there in the SB with some Ridley and just throw a wrinkle in there. Stubborn, IMO. Once Weis started introducing some more of the West Coast in 2002, people like Michael Haynes couldn't handle it either, but the point is, it wasn't the bulk of the offense. Now, the BULK of the offense is what Weis introduced more of in the playbook in 2002, but it's used almost exclusively by McDaniels (2005, 2006 and 2007), but much more so O'Brien (2009, 2011). When I see Brady putting in addendums to the playbook in 2009, it's about passing. They've got to stop acting like they need 5 All Star WRs here. It's just unrealistic. I think this is a good lesson for the organization in terms of DRAFTING WRs and signing or trading for WRs.  It's VERY hard to hit on WRs/flankers in this system. The lockout clearly hurt the potential for Ochocinco last year, but this Brady trust junk needs to be adjusted to some degree because they'll very rarely hit on WRs in the draft, if ever. Look at the WRS on the team. All system vets. How are they ever going to land FAs correctly or draft WRs? This offense started to emerge in 2005 when McDaniels took over and only very few times has it paid off, but even in 2005 that attempt at taking the offense into another level stumbled badly, as we saw in the postseason vs Denver that year. Their obsession with using so much of this style offense actually has hurt the offense more than it's helped it. 2007 and the dominance of Moss and Welker as new pieces in the offense at the peak of its powers is the ONLY time it's really worked. They should have run more Weis sets last year like they did in 2010 when Branch came back and admitted himself HE had a lot to learn. It's probably the toughest offense in game since it's a hybrid offense and the expectations are so high with the payoff so great when it works, but when it doesn't work, we all know what happens. Part of the reason why it's so easy for Welker is because of his feet and quickness. He doesn;t need to worry about "route options", because he's running 5 yard routes. Similarly, Gronk doesn't run a ton of routes and Hernandez is like Welker with the quick feet. It's the flankers that need that rapport with Brady and it's clearly an issue. Lastly, I kept mentioning this during last season, but Gaffney wasn't that great in 2006 until late in the year.  Ocho actually was open a ton last year and outproduced Gaffney's 2006 in far less reps.  Gaffney really took off in 2007, obviously, getting leftovers from the Moss/Welker show. The leftovers in 2011, went to Branch or Hernandez. Regardless, Lloyd is a big pickup as are Gaffney and Stallworth.  Onward and upward.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere[/QUOTE]

Welcome back, Mr. Papageorgio!!