OT - Cannabis in Colorado

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Re: OT - Cannabis in Colorado

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't agree. It will still be cheaper than the black market. 

[/QUOTE]

Black market doesn't charge 30% tax PLUS a sales tax. Speaking from personal experience, an ounce of pretty good smoke goes for $120 in my city, just north of Boston, while an ounce of similar is double that at a pot shop and WAY more for excellent quality. People like myself might splurge on occasion, but for the vast majority of the time I will stick to my pretty decent/insanely cheap smoke

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to hang3xc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Black market doesn't charge 30% tax PLUS a sales tax. Speaking from personal experience, an ounce of pretty good smoke goes for $120 in my city, just north of Boston, while an ounce of similar is double that at a pot shop and WAY more for excellent quality. People like myself might splurge on occasion, but for the vast majority of the time I will stick to my pretty decent/insanely cheap smoke

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You also don't pay thousands in licenses, cameras that are set up so the state can see at all times.  a store front and a grow facility. You can't use employee wages as a business expense because the Feds don't recognize the industry.  

Also, a friend of mine just paid $60k to renovate his medical dispensary so it would be up to code with the new rec. laws.  How many black market people did that?

on another note this guy is a friend of a friend. After a surprise 2/1 vote by a Carbondale Co board they ruled that you cannot have a grow facility in unincorporated Garfield cty.  Guess where his was? And after supposedly a $150k of renovations.  Now he is on his way out to Rifle. Hope they don't decide to change their mind for his sake.  

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/marijuana/8527753-113/marijuana-medical-retail-state

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

your friend is lazy. bro. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MoreRings' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You also don't pay thousands in licenses, cameras that are set up so the state can see at all times.  a store front and a grow facility. You can't use employee wages as a business expense because the Feds don't recognize the industry.  

Also, a friend of mine just paid $60k to renovate his medical dispensary so it would be up to code with the new rec. laws.  How many black market people did that?

on another note this guy is a friend of a friend. After a surprise 2/1 vote by a Carbondale Co board they ruled that you cannot have a grow facility in unincorporated Garfield cty.  Guess where his was? And after supposedly a $150k of renovations.  Now he is on his way out to Rifle. Hope they don't decide to change their mind for his sake.  

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/marijuana/8527753-113/marijuana-medical-retail-state

[/QUOTE]

Oh my.

1. Your friend is about to become a millionaire.

2. 60K to improve his overall operation is chump change with the long term return with this. Chump change. He'll make it back in the first 6 months, assuming he's not in the middle of nowhere.

3. How on earth was your friend's facility legal before without security cameras? What business today does not have security cameras or a system?

Why on earth was he not concerned about theft? Odd.  Security cameras are not expensive when you have thousands of dollars of product in a store.  

Why on earth would he/she not want to grow his customer base from a "medical dispensary" based clientele to grow his customer base beyond that?

Is he not a businessman by trade? That's really odd to me. 

There is no way he was making much off of just cancer/glaucoma/arthritis patients walking in to buy weed and has that many "employees" anyway.   He/she is still paying for their labor, so nothing has changed there.  How many employees?    6 or 7? Please.

Sounds like he/she made some rash decisions before doing the homework on this one.

This is a boon for the ages if the location is good and infrastructure is in place.

It almost sounds like your friend is lazy.

[/QUOTE]

he already is a millionaire. Certainly not from this.  Lots of competition.

60k for one small part that the board ordered on a whim.  How's that for a Monday morning.

He has tons of cameras on all his facilities. They need to be upgraded, pointed at different angles and the amount per sq. ft. changes like the Co weather.

he pays the girl that runs the dispensary something like $80k a yr? seems like a lot but I guess she is in charge of regulating what goes out the door, keeping patient medical files up to date,dealing with the media etc? about 5 employees work at the storefront.

He has a grow facility with over 700 plants. He harvests 23 plants per day, right.It takes about 10 man hrs to clip a pound depending on strain, size etc. he is harvesting about14lbs per day!!!!! All this must be dried, cured and moved 60 miles to Aspen where he gets crushed by 35% taxes. He pays $7000.00 a month to rent the storefront. Not sure what the grow facility costs.  Not sure but I believe there is about 10 full time employees at the GF.  All employees need a background check and annual license to work for him.  He also has to record the plants I d number and package everything in bags with warning labels.

he said to me a couple weeks ago "if the tourist dont show up, I'm screewd, because eveyone that lives in Co knows someone that has a much smaller operation that more care is given too. Hence the better product.  No hassle from the govt, and no 35% tax. he knows he is in trouble, especially because the tourist season is only about 8 months a year.

he is anything but lazy.

oh yeah, he had the facility registered in Garfield cty for medical.  When he made the des ion to switch to rec. also, the town of Carbondale, whicH is in Garfield cty blocked it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Yeah, he must be lazy. If he was a hard worker he wouldn't do anything but make posts all day long on a Pats forum.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh my.

1. Your friend is about to become a millionaire.

2. 60K to improve his overall operation is chump change with the long term return with this. Chump change. He'll make it back in the first 6 months, assuming he's not in the middle of nowhere.

3. How on earth was your friend's facility legal before without security cameras? What business today does not have security cameras or a system?

Why on earth was he not concerned about theft? Odd.  Security cameras are not expensive when you have thousands of dollars of product in a store.  

Why on earth would he/she not want to grow his customer base from a "medical dispensary" based clientele to grow his customer base beyond that?

Is he not a businessman by trade? That's really odd to me. 

There is no way he was making much off of just cancer/glaucoma/arthritis patients walking in to buy weed and has that many "employees" anyway.   He/she is still paying for their labor, so nothing has changed there.  How many employees?    6 or 7? Please.

Sounds like he/she made some rash decisions before doing the homework on this one.

This is a boon for the ages if the location is good and infrastructure is in place.

It almost sounds like your friend is lazy.

[/QUOTE]

he already is a millionaire. Certainly not from this.  Lots of competition.

60k for one small part that the board ordered on a whim.  How's that for a Monday morning.

He has tons of cameras on all his facilities. They need to be upgraded, pointed at different angles and the amount per sq. ft. changes like the Co weather.

he pays the girl that runs the dispensary something like $80k a yr? seems like a lot but I guess she is in charge of regulating what goes out the door, keeping patient medical files up to date,dealing with the media etc? about 5 employees work at the storefront.

He has a grow facility with over 700 plants. He harvests 23 plants per day, right.It takes about 10 man hrs to clip a pound depending on strain, size etc. he is harvesting about14lbs per day!!!!! All this must be dried, cured and moved 60 miles to Aspen where he gets crushed by 35% taxes. He pays $7000.00 a month to rent the storefront. Not sure what the grow facility costs.  Not sure but I believe there is about 10 full time employees at the GF.  All employees need a background check and annual license to work for him.  He also has to record the plants I d number and package everything in bags with warning labels.

he said to me a couple weeks ago "if the tourist dont show up, I'm screewd, because eveyone that lives in Co knows someone that has a much smaller operation that more care is given too. Hence the better product.  No hassle from the govt, and no 35% tax. he knows he is in trouble, especially because the tourist season is only about 8 months a year.

he is anything but lazy.

oh yeah, he had the facility registered in Garfield cty for medical.  When he made the des ion to switch to rec. also, the town of Carbondale, whicH is in Garfield cty blocked it.

[/QUOTE]

Then, sell the business. Or, get a smaller place in a better area, or diversify the business.  

He's lucky he could operate to do what he was doing  to begin with! HE needs to move his operation if he's that confused right now. Again, he sounds kinda lazy and spoiled with money from daddy. Warning labels and packaging?  This is a problem?  Why? It's so simple.  This is a huge opportunity for someone like that....Again, he sounds lazy.

If I owned ANY store front business in Colorado, I would also start selling weed in conjunction with my main products within reason.

Bakeries, bars, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. No brainer.   

[/QUOTE]

You can't just sell the business, because of the license.  They were awarded to 8 different entrepreneurs that were already in the medical field.

he is a successful guy that is why he has the cash to do this.

if you sold out of a storefront you would be arrested for not having a license. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, I'm old school and this makes no sense to someone like me. Weed is a gateway drug in my mind and is not harmless. Last week a PO in Texas was shot to death in a no knock warrant for weed and a few states away they are selling it like tobacco....what am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

Go back to the caveman days beanhead-I've heard this gateway drug argument for years and it is full of crap-my wife works in a local hospital and has seen firsthand hundreds of people die from ALCOHOL and yet not ONE person has ever been treated for the "PLANT" called marijuana? Name me one person who's overdosed or died from too much weed? I personally know friends who have smoked for years and still do and could care less about any other substance including legalized alcohol? And did you ever think that if they would legalize the damn plant many of us would choose to smoke instead of polluting ourselves with the liquid poison? But our elected officials along with the high and mighty uptight right wing Christian phonies,(not all of you Christians, I'm sure there's some living like Christ?), would have nothing of it. And the Beer companies Lobbyist will do everything in their poere to keep the "PLANT" from being legalized so as not to cut into their profits--get a grip bozo--"POT" is the only substance I can think of that is not manufactured-just drop a seed in the backyard, water and wait-Gods gift to us to be able to put up with people like you! And this gatewqay argument is JUNK!!! For every person that goes onto other drugs there are 10 more that don't! If a person is going to go down a destructive path it will happen IRREGARDLESS wether he/she experiences weed first----I've witnesseed it firsthand and all around many times. Now take your puritanical views back to the dark ages where they belong. Lastly on an ethical note every human should have the right to do what he/she wants as long as it is not harming or causing problems for the betterment of said society-which would be the case IF they would legalize ALL drugs, which would erase the violence --- and for the people who cannot handle said drugs use the money for rehabs instead of the 60% of people in our prisons on NON-Violent drug offenses costing Millions? We would come out ahead fiscally, but our politicians and Gov't officials would no longer be getting the graft from drug cartels etc. America has been supposedly fighting the war on drugs for 4 decades and guess what bozo-it's gotten WORSE-you connect the dots--lots of money to be made and not just for the supposed bad guys? Wake up to the real world

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Let's live in the here and now empty head.

Test positive for weed...you are unable to serve in the Armed Forces

Test positive for weed ...you will never find a job as all major and most minor employers drug test

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's live in the here and now empty head.

Test positive for weed...you are unable to serve in the Armed Forces

Test positive for weed ...you will never find a job as all major and most minor employers drug test

[/QUOTE]

That's a violation of a person's rights under the constitution....  but apparently ok with you? NO-one should pee in a cup for anyone other than a doctor.  those that ask can GFT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

What nobody ever brings up in the "legalize all drugs crowd" is the cost to regular society should that happen...At the local shopping center alone last summer 4 heroin O.D.s occurred in the parking lot...all the "victims" were revived with an anti opiate injection by the EMTs, then naturally ambulance and hospitalization. But Im SURE all these heroin addicts are gainfully employed with insurance that covered every cent of the expense...speaking of expense, how does one afford a 100-200 dollar a day heroin addiction, again Im sure they have very high paying jobs to support the addiction - its not like these people have to resort to a life of crime to support their habit....

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I have no problem with any of you who hold full time jobs, pay your taxes and wish to blow a joint on occassion. For the past 25 years or so, I have worked for companies that require drug testing both as part of the on-boarding process, and also on a regular basis (when I worked on site at a nuclear plant). I am glad the companies test (especially in nuclear). I like to think I am paid as well as I am in part because I am willing to remain clean and drug free. The more of you who choose to use (and are thus unable to meet the requirements of employment of the companies I have worked for), the fewer competitors there are for me at these positions, and the greater the demand there is for my services (including the willingness to stay clean), so my price goes up. Where I would have a problem is when those who are collecting unemployment or welfare (tax dollars that are suppossed to be supporting the individual or family through a time of financial need) are using that money on 'legal weed'. Are there any checks in place for this?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What nobody ever brings up in the "legalize all drugs crowd" is the cost to regular society should that happen...At the local shopping center alone last summer 4 heroin O.D.s occurred in the parking lot...all the "victims" were revived with an anti opiate injection by the EMTs, then naturally ambulance and hospitalization. But Im SURE all these heroin addicts are gainfully employed with insurance that covered every cent of the expense...speaking of expense, how does one afford a 100-200 dollar a day heroin addiction, again Im sure they have very high paying jobs to support the addiction - its not like these people have to resort to a life of crime to support their habit....

[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with anything? You think more people would shoot heroin tomorrow if it was legal? LOL!

Yes, Granny Smith can't wait for the gov't to tell her it's legal so she can go get a batch of black tar and start here new hobby.

Don't you think if it was legal and taxed, the money you're concerned about (healthcare costs) would be used to support that?

Duh!

[/QUOTE]

Legal and taxed LOL - all articles in todays paper mention complaints about the costs of the pot....Again another clueless person cant figure out the pint of post that all these heroin addicts are career crimnals to support their habit. The State of AZ does it right, if you are arrested on posession charges you are incarcerted until your trial....It basically takes a criminal off the street that otherwise would be robbing and stealing to support his habit.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I have no problem with any of you who hold full time jobs, pay your taxes and wish to blow a joint on occassion. For the past 25 years or so, I have worked for companies that require drug testing both as part of the on-boarding process, and also on a regular basis (when I worked on site at a nuclear plant). I am glad the companies test (especially in nuclear). I like to think I am paid as well as I am in part because I am willing to remain clean and drug free. The more of you who choose to use (and are thus unable to meet the requirements of employment of the companies I have worked for), the fewer competitors there are for me at these positions, and the greater the demand there is for my services (including the willingness to stay clean), so my price goes up. Where I would have a problem is when those who are collecting unemployment or welfare (tax dollars that are suppossed to be supporting the individual or family through a time of financial need) are using that money on 'legal weed'. Are there any checks in place for this?

There are actually lawsuits here in MA pending against the current laws in place that forbid the welfare credit card being used in tattoo parlors and for purchases of alcohol and cigarettes....These "recipients" on the public dole feel they should be allowed to spend the funds on whatever they want...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree almost totally.  The only slight disagreement I have is about hangovers.  There is a pot hangover.  It's nowhere near as painful and toxic as a booze hangover can be, but the 'smoked-out' feeling can be unpleasant.

I would add that as far as I know no one has ever died directly from marijuana overdose.

[/QUOTE]

If by smoked out, you mean smoking 3% THC Mexican weed because it takes more to get the high you want, that really doesn't exist anymore.  

[/QUOTE]

OK let me explain what I mean by a pot hangover.  First let me say that I'm a veteran pot smoker-about 40 years-I've smoked good and bad stuff and the stuff I've smoked in recent years is very good-much higher than 3% THC.

My definition of a pot hangover is this.  You wake up feeling like there's still a cloud in your head.  Your body feels very lethargic.  You have to concentrate extra hard on everything you do because your brain just isn't quite there.  Your short term memory is virtually nonexistent.

The pot hangover dissipates gradually as the day goes on and your faculties return.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonhoop74. Show jonhoop74's posts

Coming soon to a state near you.

https://bangordailynews.com/2013/12/05/news/portland/ordinance-legalizing-recreational-marijuana-use-in-portland-takes-effect-friday/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The worst part is that guy that was a addicted to pain killers probably started with ibuprofen. 

What a gateway drug.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]

...What does that have to do with anything?...

[/QUOTE]

In other words, society as a whole will not get diddly out of it compared to the cost in broken bodies, broken lives, crime and cost to the majority of people that choose not to do drugs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]

I have no problem...  Are there any checks in place for this?..

[/QUOTE]

I live in Colorado and no there are none.  Maybe soon but we'll see.  Also, nobody has said what the legal limit is.  Is it two joints or 10?  No studies, no nothing.

I'm driving extra cautious now.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 347pg's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I have no problem...  Are there any checks in place for this?..

[/QUOTE]

I live in Colorado and no there are none.  Maybe soon but we'll see.  Also, nobody has said what the legal limit is.  Is it two joints or 10?  No studies, no nothing.

I'm driving extra cautious now.

[/QUOTE]

WHo are you, Nancy Reagan?  My god. Why weren't you driving with  more caution before?

Are you this dumb thinking that new law will have non-pot smokers streaming into buy bongs and be driving around with bowls full of Strawberry Kush?

My god. What a drama queen. Please educate yourself on the topic.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, ill take the stoned person who is driving 50 mph in a 65, much like your grandmother that is hopped up on who knows what, than the idiot texting anyday

Only a matter of time before Nancy is mentioned.  Lol