OT - Inventor of AK-47 passes away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Re: OT - Inventor of AK-47 passes away

My AK-74 is real fun to shoot but so is my Mosin Nagant M38 for different reasons.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Exactly. That STG44 was a great gun for that era.  The Americans had the better traditional rifle with the Garand1 over the KAR98, but I'll take the STG44 all every day over the Thompson. Not even close, really. Way more accurate. Could be fired like a machine gun or a traditional rifle like you said.

[/QUOTE]

Assault rifles were designed to replace guns like both the Thompson and the Garand at the same time. That was the entire reason for the endeavor.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Babe.  

[/QUOTE]

That's okay Rusty. Just don't say incorrect things then be obstinate when I correct you, and we will get along just fine on this.

[/QUOTE]

I never said anything incorrect. The M16 was more accurate and had more range than the AK.

[/QUOTE]

And a bigger P.O.S.....I have a few family members who served in Vietnam - they both told me when they had to go on extended missions behind enemy lines, they armed themselves with captured AKs because it was a much more reliable weapon.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Exactly. That STG44 was a great gun for that era.  The Americans had the better traditional rifle with the Garand1 over the KAR98, but I'll take the STG44 all every day over the Thompson. Not even close, really. Way more accurate. Could be fired like a machine gun or a traditional rifle like you said.

[/QUOTE]

Assault rifles were designed to replace guns like both the Thompson and the Garand at the same time. That was the entire reason for the endeavor.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Babe.  

[/QUOTE]

That's okay Rusty. Just don't say incorrect things then be obstinate when I correct you, and we will get along just fine on this.

[/QUOTE]

I never said anything incorrect. The M16 was more accurate and had more range than the AK.

[/QUOTE]

To an insignificant degree, if at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Babe.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Typical babe acting like he knows everything.. The AK-47's effective firing range is 400 meteres on semi-auto and 300 meteres on fully-auto.. The M-16 is almost double that at 800 meteres on semi auto and 550 meteres on fully-auto. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Babe.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And a bigger P.O.S.....I have a few family members who served in Vietnam - they both told me when they had to go on extended missions behind enemy lines, they armed themselves with captured AKs because it was a much more reliable weapon.

[/QUOTE]

Those issues were solved on the M-16, eventually.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Babe.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I said above.  AK 47 was infamous for never jamming or needing much maintenance while the M 16 was.

The only advantage was accuracy and range on it.  I wouldn't call it a piece of crap though.

[/QUOTE]

At first the M-16 was a horrible weapon because it was sold to the US Military as a weapon that never needs cleaning.. as such cleaning kit's where never issued to soldiers using the M-16. Once it was realized alot of the M-16 problems where related to cleaning issues, cleaning kits where immediately issued and the M-16 reliability improved dramatically. I would agree at the time that the AK-47 was a vastly superior weapon but once the M-16 was upgraded and slight tweaks made it became apparent how great a weapon the M-16 could be.. The whole premise behind the M-16 was that its 5.56mm ammo was much lighter than the AK's 7.62mm ammo and therefore Soldiers could carry more ammo. The M-16's high rate of fire also made it an effect spray and pray weapon. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Babe.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Typical babe acting like he knows everything.. The AK-47's effective firing range is 400 meteres on semi-auto and 300 meteres on fully-auto.. The M-16 is almost double that at 800 meteres on semi auto and 550 meteres on fully-auto. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, typical-half-cocked-expert, "effective range" is a subjective term. What being effective at a certain maximum range is depends on what you expect the bullet to do. If you want to wound somebody, the 5.56 probably is better. If you want to kill them, the 7.62 would likely be preferred.

The US military itself admits most all combat occurs under 300 meters, so complaints about range concerning the AK vs M-16 are typically moot anyway.

I wasn't the one making declarations. I was the one saying declarations are subjective in a case like this. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Babe.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I said above.  AK 47 was infamous for never jamming or needing much maintenance while the M 16 was.

The only advantage was accuracy and range on it.  I wouldn't call it a piece of crap though.

[/QUOTE]

At first the M-16 was a horrible weapon because it was sold to the US Military as a weapon that never needs cleaning.. as such cleaning kit's where never issued to soldiers using the M-16. Once it was realized alot of the M-16 problems where related to cleaning issues, cleaning kits where immediately issued and the M-16 reliability improved dramatically. I would agree at the time that the AK-47 was a vastly superior weapon but once the M-16 was upgraded and slight tweaks made it became apparent how great a weapon the M-16 could be.. The whole premise behind the M-16 was that its 5.56mm ammo was much lighter than the AK's 7.62mm ammo and therefore Soldiers could carry more ammo. The M-16's high rate of fire also made it an effect spray and pray weapon. 

[/QUOTE]

But the drawbacks of the AK round were exposed in Afghanistan - in the jungles of Vietnam where range of firefights in jungle cover was 50 to 75 yards the AK was fine. In the wide open deserts of Afghanistan, where the ranges of engagement were now 400 and 500 yards, the short 30 caliber AK round fell short as it could not compare to a 30 cal rifle round, even the 1898 designed bolt action .303 Enfields the Afghan tribeman carried.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

The M-16's high rate of fire also made it an effect spray and pray weapon. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess the AK's 600 rpm was just not spraying enough. LMAO

The fact is both guns were incapable of any profuse sustained fire without destroying the barrels. That's just how guns are without some sort of special cooling.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

Here, nitwit, educate yourself about these two guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16

The two are roughly equivalent with the M-16 firing a lighter and smaller bullet. There is no significant difference in range or accuracy of either weapon, you moron.

[/QUOTE]

Don't bother. The only reason this moron knows anything about these guns is from playing Call of Duty video games. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

That Enfield one is a good one. Very similar in design to the Mosin-Nagant, IMO.

I have a Lee-Enfield.

That is a full powered rifle round like the Garand's 30-06. There is no comparison between those and an AK or M-16. Completely different animals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Here, nitwit, educate yourself about these two guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16

The two are roughly equivalent with the M-16 firing a lighter and smaller bullet. There is no significant difference in range or accuracy of either weapon, you moron.

[/QUOTE]

Don't bother. The only reason this moron knows anything about these guns is from playing Call of Duty video games. 

[/QUOTE]

^ LOL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, typical-half-cocked-expert, "effective range" is a subjective term. What being effective at a certain maximum range is depends on what you expect the bullet to do. If you want to wound somebody, the 5.56 probably is better. If you want to kill them, the 7.62 would likely be preferred.

The US military itself admits most all combat occurs under 300 meters, so complaints about range concerning the AK vs M-16 are typically moot anyway.

I wasn't the one making declarations. I was the one saying declarations are subjective in a case like this. 

[/QUOTE]

Translation:

"Hi, I am Babe and I just want to argue about something to pretend I can regain leverage after starting  stupid thread last week, bashing BB, going to back to 2006 and high rd draft picks as if it means something now."

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, this has nothing to do with BB dumbkoff. I just enjoy talking about the subject matter. But of course you turn every subject sour by talking out your dum bass.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Multiple hunders of meters for range or it being more accurate to be shot like a traditional rifle is not "insignificant" at all.

[/QUOTE]

What a joke. You can send back a 5.56 round at 1000 meters with a ping pong paddle.

They have nowhere near the power of a full-powered rifle round.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

If you want to know about a guy who had great inventions and died poor, look up Tesla.  Much more interesting than this guy IMO.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That Enfield one is a good one. Very similar in design to the Mosin-Nagant, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I have a Lee-Enfield.

That is a full powered rifle round like the Garand's 30-06. There is no comparison between those and an AK or M-16. Completely different animals.

[/QUOTE]

Where did I compare a bolt action rifle with a machine gun, moron?  

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say you did. The point isn't about the feeding mechanism anyway dum bass. It's about the cartridge.

Stop talking about this. You're too ignorant to have a conversation with.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

But the drawbacks of the AK round were exposed in Afghanistan - in the jungles of Vietnam where range of firefights in jungle cover was 50 to 75 yards the AK was fine. In the wide open deserts of Afghanistan, where the ranges of engagement were now 400 and 500 yards, the short 30 caliber AK round fell short as it could not compare to a 30 cal rifle round, even the 1898 designed bolt action .303 Enfields the Afghan tribeman carried.

[/QUOTE]

The M-16 would have had the same limitations as the AK compared to any full powered rifle round at longer ranges.

The .303 British is much the same as the 7.62x51 listed below. It's just a much more powerful cartridge than either the AK or M-16 used.