Pass Defense: Simply Pathetic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Pass Defense: Simply Pathetic?

I know this has been brought up a million times, but seriously, how much more pathetic can the secondary get?  It it way worse than last year and 2010.  I don't remember it ever being this bad. What exactly  is going on there? 

Just because the Pats win this game doesn't mean we can put on the blinders and ignore that problem. The fact is that this team simply cannot cover even the most inept offenses in the league. Any QB is almost guaranteed to trip his usual stats.  

Again it is just mind blowing that a Belichick defense be this bad!  Do people realize that the last time that the Patriots drafted a good CB was  in 2003 when they took Asante Samuel.  The last time Belichick drafted a good Safety was NEVER!  James Sanders was the last "decent" Safety drafted, and for some reason was released before last season.

There is no way that this team can do anything with a secondary this inept. It is scary to think what would actually happen if the defense went up against the Texans, Saints, Eagles, Packers or Falcons. Giving up  at least 40-50 points and 500 yards would be guaranted. The defense has given up the most pass plays of 25 yards in the NFL.

I just do not believe BB can do anything to fix this nonsense. They have not shown an ability to fix it in the past.  What the Pats need to do is sign a solid CB and Safety next year.  If any of you remember, the Houston Texans Defense was historically bad in 2009 and 2010. Wade Phillips came in, signed J. Joseph and drafted Watt, suddenly they have a top 3 defense in the league in 2011. 

Why does Belichick tolerate this pathetic pass defense. The defense as a whole seems to be always off balannce and very vanilla. It is frustrating to see how conservative they are throughout the game. If you are being conservative and still giving up 350 yards to Mark Sanchez, then the plan isn't working.  Watching the Texans play defense is remarkable. Somehow they are able to mix it up and get pass rushers to have clear lanes to hit the QB. They blitz their corners and safeties  to catch the offenses by surprise. They made Joe Flacco look like a 3rd string QB today.  Doesn't Belichick watch other teams and try to learn from those who are successful. I know Belichick has forgotten more football in the last 5 minutes than I have known in my life.  However it is clear that whatever they have been doing in the past 5 years is not working and worst of all, it is not getting any better.  A team without a single decent CB or Safety, that is unheard of.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Pass Defense: Simply Pathetic?

It's, um, pretty bad. It has been for seasons. 

I love that even on their interception today, the only reason he was in position was because he was smoked so terribly, and Sanchez underthrew the pass miserably. 

If he DID his job it would not have been a pick. 

Just .... wow.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love that even on their interception today, the only reason he was in position was because he was smoked so terribly, and Sanchez underthrew the pass miserably. 

Just .... wow. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the laugh ZB. Your humor with a real live situation is appreciated. We need more of this here. Yep, those back 5 .... WOW! I know Long story for a long time...:-)))) BUT, They will LEARN someday ...to not hold a WR when the pass is not in the air yet and perhaps just take a LQQK when it is .......once in awhile ....and ....:-))))

Stick around huh? WE all Enjoy you. Have a good Night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just .... wow.

[/QUOTE]

I noticed that as well. And to think we actually got to a SB and almost won it with this kind of a sad sack defense. Somebody on this team is unbelievebly great to bring this type of success with a defense that has been that terrible. Wonder who that could be?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I might be crazy here but I really think these CB's and safeties are better then what they are showing.  Not a whole lot better but a bit better.  I really think a lot has to do with how they are told to defend, how much cushion to give in zone and who to focus on.  We see this game after game, you would think they would be coached up more during the season and actually improve but we see the same ol stuff happening to them week after week, I think that's why it's all part of the defensive scheme.  I think this is the case with the pass rush too.  It seems like Vince could put more pressure on the QB more during the game but it looks like he drops back a lot of the time to play the short passes, almost like dropping into pass coverage.  A few others D linemen do this during the game too but not as much as Vince does.  I don't see any other D line in the NFL do this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I might be crazy here but I really think these CB's and safeties are better then what they are showing.  Not a whole lot better but a bit better.  I really think a lot has to do with how they are told to defend, how much cushion to give in zone and who to focus on.  We see this game after game, you would think they would be coached up more during the season and actually improve but we see the same ol stuff happening to them week after week, I think that's why it's all part of the defensive scheme.  I think this is the case with the pass rush too.  It seems like Vince could put more pressure on the QB more during the game but it looks like he drops back a lot of the time to play the short passes, almost like dropping into pass coverage.  A few others D linemen do this during the game too but not as much as Vince does.  I don't see any other D line in the NFL do this.

[/QUOTE]

This is it........ I'm with you.  This D plays a different style.  I don't think it's a question of talent anymore.  It can't be. 

No pressure and the CB play 10 yards off.  Then like to today were they actual jam at the line, they only rush 4.... you can never get the a full aggresive D from the Pats.  Even Simms said the Pats CB's play better man than zone... well we know BB loves his zone. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Remember when BB would scheme so much that the opposing QB would be confused all game.  It even happened to great QBs like P. Manning.

Now BB refuses to scheme. 

Or maybe he is just all done as a coach.