PASS Interference Calls should be reviewable

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

PASS Interference Calls should be reviewable

Since they're broken, at least attempt to get it correct.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Re: PASS Interference Calls should be reviewable

I don't think you would see too many coaches willing to use a challenge on something as arbitrary as Pass interfenence and i think since it is often not 'conclusive' in the first place it would seldom be something that was overturned.  Plus, in the last 2 minutes and overtime the refs would be reviewing tons of plays and that would really slow the game down. 

I agree that Pass interfence is very inconsistent and can be incredibly frustrating, especially b/c of the spot of the foul factor which sets up goal line situations far too often, but it may always just be an imperfect science.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I think they should let the fans review the penalties. You should be able to text "Skreww up" to 97829( Regular airtime rates apply) for every PI call that a ref blows.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I have had a belief that the replay officials in the booth should be looking at plays throughout the whole game and if they can signal the Ref before the ball is snapped on the next play then a booth challenge can be forwarded to the Ref. Give the Head coaches one challenge a half repeatable if challenge is upheld. Also make all calls booth revieuable but limit the type of calls you can challenge the way they do now... I bet this would be a huge difference.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

I wouldn't mind just making the penalty similar to college, e.g., maybe have it be an automatic first down and 10 or 15 yards... most often, it seems the PIs are on that order or longer anyway...  in general, I always seem to think the extra illegal contact rule calls have been the ones that prolong drives, etc...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

4 minutes of OT yesterday took 30 minutes of real time b/c the officials were having to review play after play, I don't think that is good for anyone.  There are going to be missed calls, even after reviews sometimes it appears they still don't get it right.  No one won or lost games yesterday due to officiating. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

There's no way they're going to start over turning the refs on judgement calls and thats what half the interference calls are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from priceit. Show priceit's posts

The last thing the NFL needs is to slow games down more by expanding the review rules

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

wouldn't mind just making the penalty similar to college, e.g., maybe have it be an automatic first down and 10 or 15 yards... most often, it seems the PIs are on that order or longer anyway...  in general, I always seem to think the extra illegal contact rule calls have been the ones that prolong drives, etc...

The 40 yard PI's that put the ball at the 1 yd line are tough to swallow when it is a questionable call, that is for sure.  But if you turn it into a 15 yard penalty you are inviting a lot more pass interference on long passes b/c Db's will gladly trade 15 yards for a TD. 

Maybe give the officials the discretion to rule it incidental which would be the 15 yarder or intentional which would be spot of the foul? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Considering how game changing many of the PI calls have been, I can't see how it is not reviewable.  There should also be a tiered penalty.  Inadvertent contact should only warrant a 10 yard penalty.  If you completely eliminate the spot foul, you'll have guys flat out decking the WR's downfield on attempted big plays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

unless they change the penalty for pi, they should make it reviewable. how can you let a wrong call go uncorrected when it typically has the most impact yards-wise, i.e., the most impact on a game when it happens at a critical point?

if it stays unreviewable, then the spot foul should go away. 10 or 15 yards seems fair. you can still get big yardage on a foul but at least it you avoid awarding a team 40+ yards on a pi call that could weel have been uncatchable anyway (haven't been there to many of those?).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

I think there is a real anomaly and an enormous problem with the penalties for pass interference compared with hits on the quarterback.

To me there is no comparison the late and illegal (low) hits should be penalised far more severely than PI's.

Both Sanchez and Favre were the victims of late hits that were not even penalised........... then a questionable (high) PI can be called than can put a team into the Super Bowl. Is that fair? Seriously.

What about a rule that puts a player in the "sin bin" for a particular time or series of plays for illegal hits particularly QB's.

Works in other codes around the world eg Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer.
    A team plays with one man short for perhaps one down or more. Even if it is really bad he is suspended for games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Instant Replay has ruined NFL refs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

NEVER going to happen as log as PoliANUS is on the competition commitee...Without PI calls to prolong drives the Colts are an 8-8 team

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

NEVER going to happen as log as PoliANUS is on the competition commitee...Without PI calls to prolong drives the Colts are an 8-8 team
    "Cancel those reservations!" Willie McGinest, Heinz field  Jan 27,2002 

==================

While I don't want the Colts, that's an extreme exaggeration. Much as you may not like it, P. Manning is one of the 5 greatest QBs ever; arguably a tad better than Brady, even with the rings. Who are the others? IMHO, Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Montana.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

What good is a review when the still get half of them wrong?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I agree with making PI not all or nothing.
    I like the idea of intentional being placed where it happened or at the one yd line if in the end zone. I also think when a DB holds a guy it should be holding and 15. Then incidental could be 10 yds. There just has got to be a better way.

I'm still pi$$ed about the PI in the Colts game that got the Colts the TD before the 2 yd blown play and the winning TD. Take that blown PI away via instant replay or even as an incidental call and 10 yds and it is a different game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Maybe give the officials the discretion to rule it incidental which would be the 15 yarder or intentional which would be spot of the foul? "

This works for me! Underdogg, can you get Calmy introduced to your pal Bill Polian so we can get this in front of the rules committee?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

The PI penalty ticks me off: It is ineqitable. it assumes the reciever catches the ball ( ball at spot of infraction  or 1 yd line), however if it is offensive PI it is only 15 yds from the line of scrimmage ... what ...the  Db couldn't catch the  ball? Granted feild position is in question but that should be the defense option, to take 15 yds or spot.

While we are discussing this let me vent on Mr Poilian ( ie; like Mr Shula , on the rules comitee). He whined about the the Pats punishing his recievers and put in that stupid "only 5 yd contact rule", (what's happened since then, example. Pats vs Colts? and also the Jets game last week). I think the 5yds is somewhat arbitrary  based on ball position. I think the rule should be 2 lines. That would make it easier for the Dbs and the refs to negotiate. Likewise it would be more easily reviewable. It would also add more to game strategy because you have a 9.9 -5.1 yds real contact area.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

LMFAO!

Have you any idea what could happen if every play was reviewed in the booth? Ypou'd have at least as many refs in the booth, every play would be scrutinized, a 3 hour game would turn into a Super Bowl type 5 hour fiasco, and lots of beer and new trucks will be sold on TV.

Some ideas are better left to the thinker.