Pass Protection

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Pass Protection

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8108c8ba&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true I was reading this story and wondered if any readers agree with what's been written.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Re: Pass Protection

This is a very legitimate concern for the Patriots; it is their achilles heel. 

As you read in the article, the last few regular season games for '07 was not good for Brady- he got sacked too often. This trend continued into the playoffs, and we know what happened with the superbowl.

You can be sure the other team's D will keep going with this approach, for as long as it works.

The one drawback to using the spread offense is that it leaves few players for the backfield and leaves too many one on one situation in the paint (between tackles) for the OL to deal with.  It is just about impossible to defend one-on-one, any high caliber DL or LB, such as Strahan, for example.

I am anxious to see how BB will solve this problem. The Baker signing gives me a little hope, but we need flexible solutions in the backfield to handle the LB's that shoot the gaps, or the DL that shed blocks and get through.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8108c8ba&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true  I was reading this story and wondered if any readers agree with what's been written.
    Posted by NoahJustin[/QUOTE]

I guess my question would be.... Someone describe a scenario where a QB and his deep threat rcvr can break every passing record in the books and somehow have a sub par pass protecting Oline... I'm not saying that they don't need some work up front but lets not go to StressCon 1 because the Giants had the personel to expliot our O line..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

That's why they drafted 3 O-linemen in this years draft and instead of a conventional FB the Patriots are going to put in the H-Back type TE with either Thomas or Smith working out of the Backfield and on Short yardage situations Hockstein is still the lead blocker.All 3 of the guys they drafted could conceivably make the team and the UDFA from Kent St.,Jermail Porter could land on the practice squad.Vollmer was an all conference player out of Houston,Bussey was a 4 year starter at Louisville and Orhnberger was a starting guard for Penn St.,they also signed Al Johnson to play as back up center/Guard.BB and Dante did a good job finding thetype of players that would fit their system. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8108c8ba&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true  I was reading this story and wondered if any readers agree with what's been written.

I have to think Bill B also agrees with this, that's why he drafted Ryan O'Callaghan and Vollmer.  We've gone away from the lighter (and lets face it... cheaper) tackles to more mountainous guys with the length to catch and stuff these speed rushers.  It's only a matter of time before these two guys are manning the tackle positions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't know that either O'Callahan or Vollmer will be starting this year but I'm sure the Patriots are grooming them for next year when there will potential losses on the Line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I have to think Bill B also agrees with this, that's why he drafted Ryan O'Callaghan and Vollmer.  We've gone away from the lighter (and lets face it... cheaper) tackles to more mountainous guys with the length to catch and stuff these speed rushers.  It's only a matter of time before these two guys are manning the tackle positions.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Reach picks. We could have stayed at 23 and drafted Oher.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Blowhard: I like Vollmer more than Oher after watching the game films on him,Oher is to slow and doesn't pass protect as well as Vollmer.Sea Bass is a cool nickname!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I can easily describe a scenario where we break the records and still need better pass protection.  It took the NFL teams most of the season to adjust to the explosiveness of the 2007 Pats offense.  Once they did adjust, the games got a lot harder.  Had the Pats offense scored as they did the last 4 or 5 games of 2007 all season, we would not have broken any records.  Our offense was still good at the end of 2007, but hardly the unstoppable force it was to begin the season.  To be fair, there is another explanation to their late 2007 bout of humanity.  Every team was putting forth their best efforts against them in an attempt to knock them off.  It's very likely the Pats were simply getting beat down from facing such fierce competition week after week.  

The truth is probably a bit of both.  I'd rather go into the playoffs with a great defense than a great offense though.  A great offense will roll over and pummel an average, or even above average team.  That same offense can be brought to its knees when it faces a good defense.  That's what we faced in the Superbowl.  Of course, had Assante held onto the ball, or had Rodney broken up the miracle catch, or had someone just sacked Eli when he was surrounded by more Pats than you would find secret servicemen around the President in an assassination attempt,  this topic would probably not even be discussed...  Life as a fan is great...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE] This trend continued into the playoffs, and we know what happened with the superbowl. You can be sure the other team's D will keep going with this approach, for as long as it works. [/QUOTE]

The Patriots put up 30 plus points on the Giants during the last game of the season. No team plays another & has that kind of pass rush difference a month later. Either the Patriot lineman were all hung over, mickeyed, or the Giants were on something. If it had been reversed results, everybody would have been calling for the Patriots to be drug tested on the spot. It'll come out in the future, & everyone will be "It's too late to do anything about it now".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Reach picks. We could have stayed at 23 and drafted Oher.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE]

People constantly second guess Bill B after the draft and a year later look foolish... you should probably be a transcendental thinker and change your practice.  Logan Mankins was a reach a couple seasons ago, now he's a pro bowler and our best linemen.  Repeat this mantra:  In Bill we trust.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]People constantly second guess Bill B after the draft and a year later look foolish... you should probably be a transcendental thinker and change your practice.  Logan Mankins was a reach a couple seasons ago, now he's a pro bowler and our best linemen.  Repeat this mantra:  In Bill we trust.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Read this mantra: BB has been one of the overall worst drafters over the last five years. Take away the number one selections (he likes to trade out if them now anyway), our picks have been worse than most teams in the NFL. Every team has middle and late round "steals", but if one of the Pats 3rd round picks becomes a starter, you jokers claim BB "genius". The Pats have stayed on top with veteran pickups at crucial moments and some good round one picks moreso than our own draftees "stolen" late. The facts are facts....look at the selections. This leaves us wih depth problems at OL, marginal at DE and LB, and trying to completely revamp a secondary with older players past their prime and young players who have proven nothing (and some may not even be NFL caliber). 26th in the NFL at stopping 3rd down conversions last year... we will be a team which outscores opponents in 2009 with explosive offense, not an overall powerhouse. Thank you Pioli for giving away meaningless draft picks for Welker, Moss, Dillon, etc. at just the right time. This play-the-numbers gamble we now play with rookies, and relying on reaches like Volmer, is insane.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

How many of you guys read the article refernced here? I just scrolled down to the comments sfter the article, and they are unbelievable. Some cumquad Broncos fan got everybody rolling, and the Pats guys just ate him for lunch. A must read.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

[QUOTE]Reach picks. We could have stayed at 23 and drafted Oher.

The Patriots have constistently said the qualities they look for in Offensive Linemen are Tough and Smart.  Michael Oher is neither.  Talented player but is inconsistent in effort and below average in football knowlege.

Not a good fit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]Read this mantra: BB has been one of the overall worst drafters over the last five years. Take away the number one selections (he likes to trade out if them now anyway), our picks have been worse than most teams in the NFL. Every team has middle and late round "steals", but if one of the Pats 3rd round picks becomes a starter, you jokers claim BB "genius". The Pats have stayed on top with veteran pickups at crucial moments and some good round one picks moreso than our own draftees "stolen" late. The facts are facts....look at the selections. This leaves us wih depth problems at OL, marginal at DE and LB, and trying to completely revamp a secondary with older players past their prime and young players who have proven nothing (and some may not even be NFL caliber). 26th in the NFL at stopping 3rd down conversions last year... we will be a team which outscores opponents in 2009 with explosive offense, not an overall powerhouse. Thank you Pioli for giving away meaningless draft picks for Welker, Moss, Dillon, etc. at just the right time. This play-the-numbers gamble we now play with rookies, and relying on reaches like Volmer, is insane.

BostonBobBlowJob, don't you know that every time you use your mouth for talking you're losing potential income!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It's funny, last year we went 11-5 with a guy who never started a college game at QB, the season before we went undefeated before finally losing in the championship game.  Every year we are consistantly at the top of the heap yet somehow Bill B is a failure at drafting young talent...  I don't think BostonBJ could earn a living with his required skill set, he seems to talk through his teeth and probably uses too much of them when he is on the job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]I can easily describe a scenario where we break the records and still need better pass protection.  It took the NFL teams most of the season to adjust to the explosiveness of the 2007 Pats offense.  Once they did adjust, the games got a lot harder.  Had the Pats offense scored as they did the last 4 or 5 games of 2007 all season, we would not have broken any records.  Our offense was still good at the end of 2007, but hardly the unstoppable force it was to begin the season.  To be fair, there is another explanation to their late 2007 bout of humanity.  Every team was putting forth their best efforts against them in an attempt to knock them off.  It's very likely the Pats were simply getting beat down from facing such fierce competition week after week.   The truth is probably a bit of both.  I'd rather go into the playoffs with a great defense than a great offense though.  A great offense will roll over and pummel an average, or even above average team.  That same offense can be brought to its knees when it faces a good defense.  That's what we faced in the Superbowl.  Of course, had Assante held onto the ball, or had Rodney broken up the miracle catch, or had someone just sacked Eli when he was surrounded by more Pats than you would find secret servicemen around the President in an assassination attempt,  this topic would probably not even be discussed...  Life as a fan is great...
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

You forgot the ball that clanked off of Merryweather's chest....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' more great news about Tom's knee: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4222326.

That said, concerns over the OL are justified. I expect the Patriots to do more running, and dinking and dunking, especially early in the season. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I certainly don't get warm and fuzzy feelings when thinking about the O-Line.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

I dont see much truth in here. First, there is always going to be something to improve on any and every team. And it is not a secret in the NFL that to stop an explosive offense you need to maintain a consistent pass rush. 2003/2004 Pats defense did it to Manning and his hall-of-fame receivers and it worked perfectly. It takes nothing away from the opposing teams defense. With all that pressure, brady with a bum foot still put the Pats up to win the SB. The defense let the final 2 minutes slip away.