Patriot D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Patriot D

Currently the Patriot defense is ranked 4th in the NFL in points per game allowed and total points, which statistically makes them the 4th best defense in the land.

They're ranked #2 in yards allowed, 8th in 3rd down percentage, tied for 2nd in forced fumbles, have the 2nd best rushing defense, 7th best in passing yards, 3rd best in passing 1st downs.

This defense hasn't scratched the surface of what it can do, they haven't really piled on with sacks and interceptions, but as soon as they play together some more, get more experience the turnovers will come at a higher rate.  Like I said after the draft, and again after game one, by seasons end this will be the best D in the NFL.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Patriot D

Agreed. The 2012 draft appears to have yeilded starters in Jones, Hightower, and Wilson. In an early pre-draft thread I mentioned that the 2012 draft could do for the D what the Gronk and Hernandez draft did for the O. That opinion hasn't changed. This D has held a top RB to under 50yrds (CJ2K) and one of the best WRs to one catch (Fitz). I agree that this D is really just scratching the surface of what they are capable of and expect/hope that by December this D will be at or near its peak. This week they take out Rice and limit Flacco (pass rush). Too many posters are making silly assessments after two games. The D is starting to look like the type of D that can hold a lead when and if Brady has a bad outing. With so many rookies and second year (includes those injured) players they just need to learn eachothers strengths and weaknesses in order function very well as a unit; this will come from experience. I am very optimistic about where this D is at and where it is going.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I totally agree. D has looked a whole lot better. Really tough to maintain all game when the offense doesn't sustain drives. Or the TD they gave up to AZ when the punt got blocked and the Cards had a first and goal at the 2 yd line. Coverage on fitzgerald was outstanding. front 7 is nice. The game was a give away but i'd rather see them lose to a non conference team where it may not effect them for playoff positioning. got to love Jones and Hightower.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

IMO no team wins the Super Bowl in week 2.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Even if they play flawless D we'll still have to head that we should have taken Jenkins over Wilson. The Wilson haters have been pretty quiet so far.

I'm more then happy to actually see a pass rush and some turn overs. Settle the O down a little and we'll be hard to beat.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

What I enjoy about this new D is the communication. No matter which defensive scheme they put up they seem to be in the right places. The D will win some games this year, they actually pulled one out already but .....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

While I share the optimism, it's week 2 and they haven't played a top notch QB or offense yet.  That's why I wasn't overly impressed in week 1 and why I won't overreact to a loss where the other team did enough good things to win against a flat team likely looking ahead to week 3. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

......Now if we can only get Joshy Boy to realize this and pound Ridley and save Brady from getting killed til this line settles..............

[/QUOTE]  Weren't they doing that until they got behind 20-9?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So far so good. The profound reduction in yards allowed and 1st downs allowed is especially encouraging. Yet the caliber of NFL QB they have faced so far is not as formidable as they are going to be contending with.

As I said all last year, the regression of McCourty was the greatest disappointment of the entire season regarding a player. It appears maybe he is turning that around. If so, that combined with the apparent impact of BB's massive defensive investment in the recent draft may well mean this promising start is for real.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

......Now if we can only get Joshy Boy to realize this and pound Ridley and save Brady from getting killed til this line settles..............

Get ready for this Pezzy, the offense, particularly Brady missing guys and some strange 3rd down calls by McD were responsible for the 20-9 deficit. INT in front of your own end zone, bad field position due to to 4 incompletions to Lloyd in a row and then going 3 and out in front on your own endzone for Mesko's 1st punt block of his career all lead to the majority of the Cards points. It looked like defense was would have let up 13, maybe 16 if not for the punt block.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Get ready for this Pezzy, the offense, particularly Brady missing guys and some strange 3rd down calls by McD were responsible for the 20-9 deficit. INT in front of your own end zone, bad field position due to to 4 incompletions to Lloyd in a row and then going 3 and out in front on your own endzone for Mesko's 1st punt block of his career all lead to the majority of the Cards points. It looked like defense was would have let up 13, maybe 16 if not for the punt block.

[/QUOTE]
    D played well.  Third down long runs were not effective.  Brady threw 12 times in the first half compared to 17 runs.  That is not balanced,  Inspite of all those runs, Brady was getting killed so that didn't help in protection, either.  40/60% pass/runs is way too much for the first half.

Balance is fine but that was not balanced.  Missed passes didn't help but as the pre-season and pretty much all NFL games showed, you don't score points when you run more than pass.

The second half (4th) was more passes due to being behind.  Don't teams pass more when they are behind?  This is not rocket science.  The first half was way out of whack and it showed.  How does your QB get hot when he's throwing once a series with no protection?

He wasn't harrassed as much when he spread them and finally moved the ball.  Too little too late.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

McCourty was the number two BD in his first year and he stopped everything that came his way.  Last year they put him in the number one spot and he couldn't match up with the taller faster recievers.  He may be better this year but if he falls off they should put him on the number 2 or 3 reciever and his production will improve.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

I havent seen all of the games but Chandler Jones should be off to a good start in becoming DROY. 

Dont forget about Spikes either. He is a beast against the run and a sparkplug for the entire D. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Tydog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I havent seen all of the games but Chandler Jones should be off to a good start in becoming DROY. 

Dont forget about Spikes either. He is a beast against the run and a sparkplug for the entire D. 

[/QUOTE]

d looks good, particularly the front 7

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

For the first time in years, I get excited when the defense comes on the field.  That's how it was back in 2003 and 2004 when you wanted the defense on the field because you knew you were going to see some great football.  The past few years, the defense just scared me when they took the field.  I was always expecting something bad to happen--and way too frequently the bad thing did happen.  This year feels completely different to me.  True, it's still very early in the season and it's never sensible to get either too up or too down in week two, but so far all the signs are very encouraging. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This doesn't suprise me since I predicted a top 10 defense this year.  Now only if young Josh would stop telegraphing his plays and keep Woodhead on the bench we should be OK.