Patriot Pass Rush?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Patriot Pass Rush?

I know it's a little early to do this, but...

Prior to the draft, it appeared that our pass rush was close to our #1 priority. The Patriots didn't really address the problem before, during, or after the draft.  With the release of Crable; are they any better or worse off than last year or they positioned to at least improve in this area?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Re: Patriot Pass Rush?

Well this year it will be Banta Cain. Then guessing the Pats brass liked what they saw in Burgess at the end of last year to at least fill some of the gap this year. Then they also drafted Cunningham who from what I hear was a consistent pass rusher at Florida. Maybe if someone can hold down the TED linebacker spot this year they'll use Mayo to pressure the QB more. Still next year I suspect we draft another outside linebacker that will hopefully be a long term compliment with Cunningham who holds down the other OLB spot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Patriot Pass Rush?:
    I know it's a little early to do this, but... Prior to the draft, it appeared that our pass rush was close to our #1 priority. The Patriots didn't really address the problem before, during, or after the draft.  With the release of Crable; are they any better or worse off than last year or they positioned to at least improve in this area?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

With Dean Pee's departure, I think we will see more Safety and CB blitzes mixed in to make for a much more aggressive Defense.  I think that can be tougher to deal with if you are a young QB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Right now I'd say we are about the same Bubba. I'll maintain that feeling until they show me different. Maybe we can pick it up a little bit by changing some of the schemes we are using but that remains to be seen. This defense is 1 big ? right now and I'm kind of glad camp is starting today. Crable is sort of an after thought as he never contributed anyway so it's pretty hard to project him as a 10 sack guy or even a would be impact player. Rookies????  That's asking a lot but we'll see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

After watching tape of the Ravens running the Pats over there won't be a need for pass rush... teams are going run the ball down the Pats throats until they stop it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush?:
    After watching tape of the Ravens running the Pats over there won't be a need for pass rush... teams are going run the ball down the Pats throats until they stop it.
    Posted by HRK103

+1.. I thought I was only one on here that thought this!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : +1.. I thought I was only one on here that thought this!
    Posted by ewhite1065

I watched Wilfork and Warren in warmups just prior to that game and they both had difficulty getting off their stance when Pepper snaped the ball.  These guys had leg or back problems and they ended up playing their worst game of their careers against the Ravens that day.  I am sure they will be more than fine this year.  This Defense will be fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I wouldn't say it's worst than last year, but it's not better. Crable was never a part of the rush so his release doesn't add or negate from it. 

It's the same. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Our Offensive dominance will be our best Defense this year.  Think of all the games we lost, last year, simply because we couldn't get the job done once getting into the opponents Red Zone. 

Great Offence + Good Defense (doesn't need to be great) = Super Bowl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : I watched Wilfork and Warren in warmups just prior to that game and they both had difficulty getting off their stance when Pepper snaped the ball.  These guys had leg or back problems and they ended up playing their worst game of their careers against the Ravens that day.  I am sure they will be more than fine this year.  This Defense will be fine.
    Posted by Clay73

I hope so. I got into this debate last week. We had problems in more than just the Ravens game but I always give them the benefit of the doubt when starting the season. Everyone is healthy( Hopefully ) with a fresh new attitude. I'm already looking forward to the first reports from guys like Mike Reiss.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Posted by HRK103

Given what we saw the last time we looked, there's no reason to believe Harley isn't exactly right.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

id say its about the same...and expecting another career year from banta-cain is hoping for a bit much IMO

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

id say its about the same...and expecting another career year from banta-cain is hoping for a bit much IMO
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

In 2006 he had 5.5 Sacks but didn't have as many snaps as he had last year when he got 9.5. He's only 29(Almost 30) years old and seems to fit good into our system. He actually played a little better against the run last year than I thought he would too. At this point I'd say say it's imperitive that he is at least as good as he was last year. I think he will too.Burgess..That's the side I'm really worried about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Pass rush is fine.  D is fine.  O will be fine.  Super Bowl won't even be a challenge.  Let's tune in a few seasons from now when the league figures out how to compete with us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

TBC got 5 of his 10 sacks against Buffalo, which means nothing. take away those two games against the worst offensive line in generations and you have a mediocre player, who SHOULD be only situational not a starter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

TBC got 5 of his 10 sacks against Buffalo, which means nothing. take away those two games against the worst offensive line in generations and you have a mediocre player, who SHOULD be only situational not a starter.
    Posted by Boston-kyle

Right and the other sack leaders every season don't get a lot of their numbers against weak teams?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Considering Jarvis Green did nothing all year next to him, I'd say TBC will be BETTER this year than he was last year.  He'll get some help in the run stuffing area as well. You don't know the game of football very well and don't know anything about a 3-4 D.
    Posted by russgriswold

my my my, someone woke up on the wrong side of the dumpster today

i dont know anything about the 3-4? well lets see...there are 2 defensive linemen and a NT up front with 2 OLB and 2 MLB in the middle...basic description no? well thats something of knowledge of the 3-4 aint it crusty? but irregardless of how you feel about me, this is about the pass rush anyways...a weak pass rush at that

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Posted by Boston-kyle

Jared Allen got 7.5 of his 14.5 sacks against Green Bay. Maybe he's just average too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : Right and the other sack leaders every season don't get a lot of their numbers against weak teams?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

TBC in meaningful games has disappeared just like anyone else - lets look back at 2009 season - Indy 0 sacks, Saints 0 sacks, Falcons 0 sacks, Baltimore 0 sacks, against good teams our pass rush is pathetic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : Jared Allen got 7.5 of his 14.5 sacks against Green Bay. Maybe he's just average too.
    Posted by Wizardsjag

I'm with you Wiz. It doesn't matter How, Just How Many!
    Sacks are Pretty freakin hard to get in this league and if I'm an Allen fan I can't think of another team besides Green Bay that I'd want him to tee off on More. TBC Has a Knack for the sack. I like him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well he was injured in the Indy game.  But I get it he's not an elite pass rusher, even though the elite pass rushers don't get 15 sacks every game like my linebackers in Madden. 

TBC is solid over all and is not the problem with the pass rush.  Injured D Line and lack of quality OLB opposite TBC were a bigger problem.  But I don't get what everyone is upset about, our D was terrific last year and will be this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : Jared Allen got 7.5 of his 14.5 sacks against Green Bay. Maybe he's just average too.
    Posted by Wizardsjag

The year prior in 2008 Jared Allen got 1 out of his 14.5 sacks against Green Bay. So no Jared Allen is NOT average.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : Right and the other sack leaders every season don't get a lot of their numbers against weak teams?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Bingo. I hate it when people make statements like that. TBC also provided lots of quality pressure against very good teams like Indy. That defensive unit was night and day with him on and off the field. He left and all of a sudden the press package didn't look so hot. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

You gotta think that Cunningham will help somewhat.  Pass rush is probably a good role for him coming in, unless he proves to be tough to block on the edge, and then maybe Burgess gets more limited duty on 3rd downs, which may help him.  I don't see any pass rushing studs on the roster.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Patriot Pass Rush? : The year prior in 2008 Jared Allen got 1 out of his 14.5 sacks against Green Bay. So no Jared Allen is NOT average.
    Posted by Boston-kyle

And 9.5 of those in 2008 came against the likes of Houston, Chicago, and Detroit. The point is that pressure is the key against good teams, and the huge sack totals typically come from playing really bad teams.

And no, TBC is not Jared Allen, but he is a very good pass rusher and isn't part of the problem. The other side of the LB corps is the issue.