Patriots and Abraham Set to Resume Talks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Patriots and Abraham Set to Resume Talks

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Why do people keep saying he'll be coming in as a subrusher? 

Who's going to keep him from starting? Ninkovich? If Abraham can't beat out Ninkovich in week 1 of TC, Abraham has nothing left in the tank. Ninkovich sucks. 

Hahahah pats fans. gotta love the passion.

Love when the avg fan never understands the value of a solid consistent starter who just does his job.

For years it was James Sanders. Nink is the new let's get rid of him guy. Oh brother.

I'd be more worried about Jones and Gronk staying on the field after Thanks giving and doing something relevent, when it matters most.

...or how about Hernandez pulling his head out of his @zz this season. One of the 10 worst for dropped passes for TE's this past season. 2nd most penatlies called on a TE in the entire league.

If they want to do that experiment again with moving a DE to DT on 3rd downs then just move Nink in instead of Cunningham and let Abraham play on 3rd in Nink's spot. They'll figure it out.

I'd have bigger concerns than worrying if Nink will show up and produce.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Who's going to keep him from starting? Ninkovich? If Abraham can't beat out Ninkovich in week 1 of TC, Abraham has nothing left in the tank. Ninkovich sucks. 

Love when the avg fan never understands the value of a solid consistent starter who just does his job.

For years it was James Sanders. Nink is the new let's get rid of him guy. Oh brother.

I'd be more worried about Jones and Gronk staying on the field after Thanks giving and doing something relevent, when it matters most.

...or how about Hernandez pulling his head out of his @zz this season. One of the 10 worst for dropped passes for TE's this past season. 2nd most penatlies called on a TE in the entire league.

If they want to do that experiment again with moving a DE to DT on 3rd downs then just move Nink in instead of Cunningham and let Abraham play on 3rd in Nink's spot. They'll figure it out.

Agreed, people here just don't get it. Guy leads us in sacks, and I think FF's but he sucks. Sigh..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

It would be abraham + a #3 CB for me

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

1.) I'm glad you love my passion. 

2.) Ninkovich is consistent alright, consisnetly below average. 

3.) LOLS! Where's James Sanders now? 

4.) They will, Chandler is getting his mass up and all of Gronk's injuries were flukes. He's never been hit so hard that he couldn't get back up. He got tangled with Pollard one year and he kept breaking his arm another year. 

5.) Hernandez is a great TE, he just had a down year thanks to Edelman rolling his ankle. 

6.) Why? Armstead, Abraham, Jones and Vega should be the "NASCAR" package, Ninkovich is a below average pass-rusher and an average run stuffer. Why keep him in on passing downs? 

7.) If you think the Pats have more to worry about than Ninkovich, you're WRONG! Ninkovich IS one of the team's weaknesses. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Agreed, people here just don't get it. Guy leads us in sacks, and I think FF's but he sucks. Sigh..

Yeah, cause Jones and Wilfork are drawing the majority of the coverage. Nink gets no respect, so, every once in a while, he beats single coverage and makes a play. But Chandler had more pressures, QB hits and knockdowns. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

2.) Ninkovich is consistent alright, consistently below average. 

4.) They will, Chandler is getting his mass up and all of Gronk's injuries were flukes. He's never been hit so hard that he couldn't get back up. He got tangled with Pollard one year and he kept breaking his arm another year. 

5.) Hernandez is a great TE, he just had a down year thanks to Edelman rolling his ankle. 

6.) Why? Armstead, Abraham, Jones and Vega should be the "NASCAR" package, Ninkovich is a below average pass-rusher and an average run stuffer. Why keep him in on passing downs? 

7.) If you think the Pats have more to worry about than Ninkovich, you're WRONG! Ninkovich IS one of the team's weaknesses. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I want either Abraham or Dumervil. One or the oher. If it's Abraham for less then go right back out and get another CB or Vollmer and I'd be very happy. If it's Dumervil (going to cost more) I'd still be happy but get some cheaper backup OL and go CB in the draft (well go CB in the draft either way since Talib was only a 1 year deal)

agree on abraham and get another fa cb and ol.

i dont think bb will pay big $ for dumervil.

i want another #2 cb or better

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Dumervil is lobbying for Miami. Baltimore can't compete for Dumervil, so if Miami doesn't jump in, it's Tenn and NE, with Denver as the fallback, barring some last minute team.

Should be interesting. I can't picture BB going 7-8 million for a 29 year old 4-3 DE.

Why can't we spend 7-8 million on a 29 year old pass rusher? If we can spend 4.5 million  on a washed up Shaun Ellis and 7 million on a washed up Ocho Cinco, you can bet your backside we can sign a productive 29 year old pass rusher. This guy would hurt Denver's defense if he signed with us...it would hurt their offense too. Chandler coming off one side and Dunervil the other? Yikes. In three years we cut him - plain and simple.

fair point

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I want either Abraham or Dumervil. One or the oher. If it's Abraham for less then go right back out and get another CB or Vollmer and I'd be very happy. If it's Dumervil (going to cost more) I'd still be happy but get some cheaper backup OL and go CB in the draft (well go CB in the draft either way since Talib was only a 1 year deal)

Would you be OK with the Patriots signing Reed to play FS and moving DMac back to CB?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Would you OK with the Patriots signing Reed to play FS and moving DMac back to CB?

hey spoerts, helllll no!

the only reason id keep mcc on the team is if he works out at safety. he is awful at outside cb

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Would you OK with the Patriots signing Reed to play FS and moving DMac back to CB?

hey spoerts, helllll no!

the only reason id keep mcc on the team is if he works out at safety. he is awful at outside cb

though I agree on your opinion on DMac's ability too play the OCB position if you have Reed over the top of DMac he might actuallly be an OK OCB! After Reed finds out what the Ravens will offer him, which will be peanuts with no shells,he might come calling BB. I'm just saying...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm going to have to agree with bred, McCourtys calling is FS and he's been very effective as the QB in the secondary. Reed might be a slight improvement bt you are talking adding Reed at the cost of McCourty's development which I don't think makes sense at this point. WOuld much rather the money spent on Reed go to an Abraham or to enhance a Vollmer offer or to add a 3rd outside CB like Grimes

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm going to have to agree with bred, McCourtys calling is FS and he's been very effective as the QB in the secondary. Reed might be a slight improvement bt you are talking adding Reed at the cost of McCourty's development which I don't think makes sense at this point. WOuld much rather the money spent on Reed go to an Abraham or to enhance a Vollmer offer or to add a 3rd outside CB like Grimes

I like the Grimes kid provided he's healty achilles tears aren't helpful or easy too recover from,as for Vollmer I just read where BB just signed Svitek the former Falcon so he's hedging his bets.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

idtto ditto, ditto.

and grimes is who i have in mind right now as teh cb id want

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sw4288. Show sw4288's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

I'll be stoked for anyone who has 10 sacks consistently and comes in at a fair price. We don't need no 8-10 mil 30 yr old who is a 1 trick pony.

I agree, if you are paying 7+mil for a player they better be a 3 down player or be the best at their position. Dumervil isn't either. But I'd love to have him for a Bennett type of deal (ie ~1-2yr ~5mil per)

Right, that's a different price and contract. I could see if Dumervil was good agaisnt the run or a 3-4 OLB BB would like to use, but he isn't.

Dumervil is also what? 5'11? Pretty small for a BB DE/OLB.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Nincovich doesn't suck, he was playing out of position at end, hopefully this signing will allow him to slide back to linebacker which is his preferred position.  I don't think players who sacrifice for the team should be thrown under the "he sucks" bus...

Totally agree. There is a lot of that here. Completely rediculous evaluations based on one play or one game or one injury or taking on a role for the team that is nto your best.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

To all commenting here: if Abraham was still able to produce at a "starting" caliber do you really think that he would not be getting big bids - or have been resigned by Atlanta?

I am not saying he cant or wont be a good addition to the team but I would be surprised to see him play more than 50% of the plays this year. A wild guess would be 20-30%. And this might keep him healthier for the playoffs where maybe he would get 40-50% snaps.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Nink's natural position is actually 4-3 DE. If anything, he was out of position learning the 3-4 in 2009 or 2010.

That's just ridiculous, he isn't a big, athletic OLB in a 3/4, instead he's a smallish, undersized DE in a 4/3?  

Isn't that why we're talking about by moving Ninc back to a more manageable position in the first place, and was Pittsburgh and NE playing him at 3/4 OLB his entire career leading up to this experiment with a four man front was a mistake?  

He played at end in a 4/3 last year and was snuffed out by every talented offensive tackle he played, that's why we have posters here saying he sucks, not because he sucks, he just sucks as an every down 4/3 end.  No, at 250 pounds he is most definitely a linebacker, I also might point to his play standing up and interception against the Texans in the playoffs as another example of this.  

The mistake was switching to a 4/3 in the first place, which I don't necessarily think was a "mistake" but a move by BB to deal with the personnel he had instead.  

Its time to move back to the traditional Fairbanks-Bullough, 2 gap 3/4 defense, move Ninc back to "Will" OLB with Jones on the opposite side playing the Willie McGinest "Sam" position which leaves Mayo ("Jack" or Bruschi role) and Spikes at the "Mike" Ted Johnson position inside and allows Hightower (who can do everything) to play the swing role.

All we need to accomplish this is another defensive tackle to play end in our 3/4, to pair with Wilfork and Love/Armstead at the other end.  

Abraham is big and strong enough to play rush end in the 3/4 on longer downs much Bobby Hamilton and Jarvis Green before him and can switch to end when we run the 4 man front.  Though we've always been a 3/4 base defense, at our best (2001-2004) we always had the flexibility to play any front, we need to get back to that luxury on defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

A lot of people said Nink couldn't hold the edge last season then when he had good games everyone loved him.

He's oppotunistic, he's there forcing fumbles and recovery loose balls. He was in on a lot of hurries.

I'm glad it seems that Abraham is still possible.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Nink played 4-3 DE at Purdue opposite Ray Edwards. He was then a long snapper in NOs and MIami where he was cut twice and BB asked him to play 3-4 OLB here, starting in 2009 as a back up.

2010, he emerged, 2011, he was back to playing his natural 4-3 DE spot.

Agree on looking to play some more 3-4 when needed with more versatility but you're sort of wrong on the other aspects. 

I did mix up Vrabel and Ninc, you're right about that, but it is St Patties Day and I have been drinking all day... he's still not a defensive end.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

can always respect some good passion for something someone believes strongly in

2.) Ninkovich is consistent alright, consisnetly below average. 

Hahahaa baseless claims are always good for a hilarious laugh

Ah kids, they are the future but to bad they never love to do their homework. NE Pats fans were calling for him to get the boots for 3 or 4 years "prior" to him finally moving on. ..but guess what, the coaches actually kept bringing him back year after year. BB must not know what he is doing I guess. 

Here are some more facts. The playing span for and NFL player is 3.5 to 6 years according to both the NFL and players union. The avg playing time for a 1st round pick is 9 years.

Sanders was only drafted in the 4th round yet he just completed his 9th NFL season.

Guys like Meriweather, Chung, etc were drafted much higher, 1st and 2nd to be part of a solution to illiminate Sanders and cure any perceived problems. Where are those guys now? Both had shorter careers with the Patriots.

..but don't let any of those actual facts get in the way of your shoot from the hip comments. LOLS

Chandler better be getting his mass up, he needs to, because he relies on his length and strength. He certainly does not beat anyone with speed. Hopefully his brother will teach him some good chop saki moves to help him. ;-) ...we all have high hopes for him.

Gronk just needs to chill on the drinking if he wants to stay healthy. You really do not do your homework do you. I will give you the cliff notes on drinking and injuries. 

The injury rate for drinkers is around 54% and for non-drinkers is about 23%. Someone that drinks casually is twice as likely to get hurt as someone that does not drink. There are plenty of reputable sources out there to look it up if you do not believe me. Unfortunealy coaching all these years requires me to have too many certifications that covers this stuff.

Hmm year two. Already a DOWN year? Hmm Ninkovich three up years in a row. Each years production for Sacks, Forced fumbles, and fumble recoveries, better than the last. Let's not let any real facts get in the way of your opinions though.

I do not know. Ask BB. I said "IF" and refered to it as his "EXPERIMENT". That is what BB did last season. Nink had 8 sacks last season. Do you know what the Patriots defensive systems have produced in years past for avg sack numbers or single season highs?

McGinest 6.5 avg. most 11

seymour 4.8 avg. Most 8

Colvin  4.4 avg. most 8.5

Vrabel 6 avg. most 12.5

Ninkovich 4.75 avg. most 8

Seems to be keeping good company to me

Wrong? LOL. You keep focusing on your opinions and I will continue believing in some facts. Ahh kids, gotta love 'em.

25. This post has been removed.