Patriots @ Bengals REPORT CARD

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Re: Patriots @ Bengals REPORT CARD

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Far too brutal on Brady, as usual, and far too kind to the O-line. The rest is palatable.

Agree. The bigger issue is we have no receivers who can hold onto the ball. Thus far, our Patriots rank 32nd in the league in percentage of passes dropped by wide receivers (17 drops out of 194 targets). Brady's stats, and our offense, would look a lot better if we had receivers who could actually catch.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2013/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I challenge everyone to go back and re watch the game if possible. Yes Brady had a bad game stat wise, but WHY? If you are the kind of person who likes a QB to take sacks instead of imcompletions, than you have a gripe. If not, I dont know what the guy has to do.

The BENGALS SECONDARY COVERED US ALL DAY! They had their Safety Taylor Mays(the guy who was too dumb to play here) covering Amendola when he came in. One incompletion to Amendola was due to him not being able to cross the face of the safety. He was outmuscled for the spot. Another time Edlelman was covered and he sailed it out of bounds. A THROW AWAY! Something we havent seen from Brady in years. He is progressing! Would you rather him throw INT's or INCOMPLETIONS! If a guy isnt open, what is he supposed to do? How about Joshy calling some run plays?? I saw Joshy talking to Brady b4 the half. It looks like he was saying, hang in there, good job getting three,we will get the no huddle going 2nd half, get you in a rythm(my interpratation) and then BOOM! Brady is out in the 2nd half, running hurry up with a new cast of WRs. It didnt work. THATS COACHING! Brady Wants Balance, beleive me. You think he wants to get beat up?! NO...Rather BB ALWAYS RUNS HIS BEST PLAYERS TO THE GROUND...See Wilfork, Seymour, Troy Brown, Wes,etc. Brady is NO different. He just keeps calling pass play after pass play(was proven in "football life", BB loves to pass and use tempo), expecting his star QB to make magic with Scrubs!  Once he is Done, he will just move on and you sorry saps are gonna be praying for Brady to come back once you see how hard it is to replace him

BB is a Joke sometimes. He screwed up our gameplan because he just HAD to teach Blount a lesson right? how about the guy has 9 career fumbles. Its football. let the guy earn it back!  Instead we had ONE runner for the whole 3rd quarter and bad playcalling due to it....and a L. and I gotta come here Mondy and read Brady getting an F, O-line a C and coaching a D....LMAO!  Just wait.....

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Far too brutal on Brady, as usual, and far too kind to the O-line. The rest is palatable.

I know that Brady is your boy, but his "performance" this week was awful...well deserving of an "F".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

I know that Brady is your boy, but his "performance" this week was awful...well deserving of an "F".

sorry tex, but you deserve an F for that report. Bad qb play needs to be looked at in context of bad line play in which u gave them a C!? and the coaching the fact they kept calling pass plays and noone was open doesnt factor in for those incompletions which a few were throw aways.(good plays) and the rest were drops.

Babe isnt the only one saying that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

This 13-6 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals was hard to watch, but even harder to swallow. This was an important conference game, which may have playoff implications down the road. It was so frustrating to see the game there for the taking, only to see the Patriots' offense do a first rate immitation of the 2011 Indianapolis Colts' offense, as run by QB Curtis Painter. It's a shame that the offense could not pull it's wieght in support of a fine overall defensive effort by the Pats' "D". Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: The entire offensive unit should, in good conscious, not accept their checks for this week, as they completely failed to show up for todays' game. The "O" could only keep the ball for 25:30 over the entire 60 minute game. Tom Brady ran 59 plays, gaining a putrid 248 total yards.  

1.) QB: In one of the worst performances of his career, Tom Brady completed just 18 of 37 passes for 197 yards, and no TDs...snapping a 52 game steak in which Brady had thrown at least one TD pass per game. What's worse was that the Pats' averaged a mere 5.3 yards per completion, and were able to convert only one (1) out of twelve (12) third down attempts. It was clear throughout the game that Brady was not on the same page with his receivers. Though Tom faced some heavy pressure at times from the Cincy front seven, even when given ample time to throw, his passes were underthrown, overthrown, or thrown behind his receivers, throughout the game. There was one play in the 4th quarter in which Brady missed a wide open Aaron Dobson on a deep post, when Brady evidently thought that Dobson would be running toward the pi-line. Nor was he helped by the play calling, which seemed disfunctional and disjointed, particularly after the awful LeGarrette Blount fumble at the Cincinnati 25 yardline, just when the Patriots appeared to be on the verge of taking control of the game. Tom appeared frustrated, rattled, and indecisive, especially in the second half. Folks, take away the 53 yard play from Brady to Aaron Dobson late in the 4th quarter, and Tom's stats were 17 completions in 36 attempts, for 144 yards. Ouch: GRADE: F;

2.) RBs: Injuries to Stevan Ridley and Brandon Bolden (playing on a gimpy knee) certainly didn't help the cause. But, the way Legarrett Blount was running early, it didn't seem to matter. Bringing back memories of the Corey Dillion years, Blount ran hard, and ran tough. On several occasions, though he was hit behind the line, he still managed to generate a few hard earned yards. But, then came the second quarter strip by Bengals' DE Carlos Dunlap, after Blount have broken loose on a 7 yard run, at the Cincinnati 25 yard line. Thereafter, the Pats' running game was never heard from again...as some disjointed play calling and a disfunctional passing attack led to a pitiful six (6) points over the remainder of the game. Blount fionished with 12 carries for 51 yards. But, after the fumble, he was benched, and thereafter used sparingly. Brandon Bolden, bad knee and all, finished with 5 carries for 24 yards. Bolden did well as a receiver coming out of the backfield, with six (6) catches for 40 yards. But oh...that Blount fumble: GRADE: D+;

3.) OL: The Big Uglies faced a tough task this week, in the rugged Cincinnati front seven. Unfortunately, they weren't up to the task. But, after a slow start, they appeared to be taking charge of the game, with RB Blount eeking out some hard earned, smash-mouth yards. But, after the above mentioned Blount fumble, they were never the same, as Josh McDaniels appeared to abandon the running game. This group allowed too many hits on Tom Brady, which led his showing of happy feet, and skittishness in the pocket: GRADE: C-;  

WRs and TEs: The Hooman was able to get open on occasion, and did haul in a 2 yard pass today. There was a play where Brady threw a terrible pass behind him, almost resulting in an interception on a tipped ball. The Hooman also failed to get out to block on a flanker screen to Aaron Dobson, which resulted in a four (4) yard loss, leading to a 3rd and 14 in the second quarter, rather than, say, a 3rd and two. As for the WRs, it was another tale of woe, similar to what we saw against the Jets in Foxborough. Whenever they got open, Brady could not adequately deliver the ball. There was at least one Danny Amendola drop, as the returning Wes Welker wanna-be wasn't today, finishing with 4 catches for 55 yards. After a big game last Sunday night in Atlanta, Kembrel Thompkins returned to his rookie ways, and did not appear to get open. Targeted only four (4) times, he had three (3) catches for a mere 16 yards. Ditto Julian Edelman, who, though targeted seven (7) times, had just two (2) catches for 35 yards. Aaron Dobson contributed two (2) catches for 49 yards...one for the above mentioned loss when the Hooman failed to get a block, and one the 53 yard catch and run...the teams' lone big play on an otherwise very bleak afternoon...and Dobson nearly marred that play by fumbling it away: GRADE: F;

II. DEFENSE: Though the "D" obviously tired during the final quarter, they kept the Pats in the game, holding the Bengals to just 13 points...which should have been good enough to win.

1. DL: Playing their first entire game without Vince Wilfolk anchoring the middle, the DL had some trouble stopping the run, as BJGE and rookie Giavanni Bernard combined for 129 yards on 32 carries. But, the majority of that came later in the game, when the ineptitude of the Pats' "O" had forced the "D" to play for over 34 minutes. QB Andy Dalton also hurt the Pats by picking up some key first downs with his scrambling, as he gained 25 yards on 5 attempts. Though chances of getting to Dalton were diminished by the Bengals limiting him to throwing slants and check-downs throughout the game, The Jones boys were able to get to him on a couple of occasions...as the DL registered 2.5 sacks. GRADE: B;

2.) LBs: Great all-around game by Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes. This pair accounted for 23 tackles, including 14 solos. Spikes had with two tackles for loss among his thunderous hits, along with a drive killing red zone interception, in the first quarter. Dont'a Hightower appeared to be slowed by a gimpy knee, as he had a quiet game: GRADE: B+;

3.) SECONDARY: Another fine game by Aqib Talib, who, for the most part, contained Cincinnati stud receiver, A. J. Green. Green was targeted eight (8) times, and had five (5) catches for 61 yards. But, Green did beat Talib on a 3rd and 3 from the New England 23...gaining 17 yards, for a first and goal at the Patriots' six (6) yard line. The Cincinnati TEs, Jermaine Greshan and Tyler Eifert were targets 11 times, but were held to nine combined catches, for 77 yards. But, late in the 3rd quarter, with the Bengals facing a 3rd a 15 from their own two (2) yard line, leading just 6-3, the Pats gave up a 28 yard completion to WR Marvin Jones, giving them a first down on their own 30 yard line. That was the key play on what would be a 14 play, 93 yard TD drive, that took up nearly eight (8) minutes...and gave the the Bengals a 10 point lead, midway through the final quarter. It appeared that Kyle Arrington failed to nail down the coverage on that huge play. Still, when a defense holds any NFL offense to less than 14 points, it's usually cause for celebration: GRADE: B-;

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Another solid performance by The Ghost, who was two for two in FG, including a 42 yarder to close the half. Unfortunately, he was the Patriot's only offense today. Good job of punting today by rookie Ryan Allen, with several punts placed inside the Cincinnati 15 yard line. Another good job of returning punts by Julian Edelman. His 24 yard return put the Patriots in prime position to score, from the Cincy 45, early in the 3rd quarter. But, unfortunately, Brady and his offense could not do anything with that great field position. The kick coverage was adequate: GRADE: B+;    

IV. COACHING: Lots of soul searching and butt kicking needs to be done by BB and his staff after this stinker. Thankfully, there's a long way to go before playoff time in January. But, based on what we saw this afternoon, can this team even win it's division? There's simply no excuse for the seemingly complete lack of communication between Tom Brady and his young receivers. The game plan was unimaginative. I can't understand why the Patriots chose to give up on the run the way they did. True, fumbles are inexcusable. But when your down to one healthy RB, was it really wise to punish him by pulling him? Much of the Pats' passing attack is predicated on timing. Credit the Bengals for doing a good job of jamming the Pats' receivers inside of 5 yards, and credit their LBs for doing a good job in patroling the short stuff over the middle. Their  defensive game plan of pressuring Tom Brady and taking away the short stuff, thus forcing him to throw deep, worked. The best answer would seemingly have been to continue to pound the ball, and mix it up with deep play action throws. But, when tried, for whatever reason, Brady couldn't convert. Can't complain about the "D", though that 28 yard completion on a 3rd and 15 from the Cincy two (2) yard line in the fourth quarter was a killer. You best believe that ball security will be a hot topic in Foxborough on Monday. Next week, one has to wonder how this pop-gun Patriots' offense is going to keep pace with Drew Brees?: GRADE: D;   

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The strip of LeGarrette Blount in the second quarter blounted a Patriots' scoring drive at the Cincinnati 25 yard line...just as the Patriots appeared to be taking control of the game.    

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Cincinnati DE Carlos Dunlap was a pain in the Patriots' proverbial neck all game long...and made the aforementioned strip of Blount, which changed the momentum of the game. I wonder how BB feels now about his decision to select Florida DE Jermaine Cunningham in the 2010 draft over the other, more heralded Florida DE, Dunlap? Poor drafts, and poor draft selections do come back to haunt a team.

Here are the putrid game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331006004.

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

Where I disagree:

1. RBs and O line: O line was more pathetic than you give them credit for. They were a large part of the reason the running game was not good enough. Even more so than the RBs. I give the O line a D- for bothy mostly poor run blocking (some plays were good but overall no) and certainly poor pass blocking. I give the RBs a C... 

2. DL - 34 minutes is not especially onerous and it is not like the weather was extremely hot . You are too generous with the line that was not able to rise to the occasion in crunch time. I give the D line a C-

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

sorry tex, but you deserve an F for that report. Bad qb play needs to be looked at in context of bad line play in which u gave them a C!? and the coaching the fact they kept calling pass plays and noone was open doesnt factor in for those incompletions which a few were throw aways.(good plays) and the rest were drops.

[/QUOTE]

The O line was BAD. Plain BAD.

But Brady was PA - THE - TIC

When he did have time he was horrible. Catch after catch was an effort in acrobatics. The WRs were trying to bail out Brady. Like the diving attempt by Thompkins that would have been a first down.

No. If a player has a horrible game, even if it is Brady, you need to recognize it. I completely agree that the O line was TERRIBLE. And right from the very start. But TB was perhaps the worst player on that field. And I am not a TB denier.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Yes the O line was horrible (I give them D-, you were certainly toooo easy on them Tex). But you are spot on regarding Brady. Regardless of the O line Brady was just horrible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

When he did have time he was horrible. Catch after catch was an effort in acrobatics. The WRs were trying to bail out Brady. Like the diving attempt by Thompkins that would have been a first down.

No. If a player has a horrible game, even if it is Brady, you need to recognize it. I completely agree that the O line was TERRIBLE. And right from the very start. But TB was perhaps the worst player on that field. And I am not a TB denier.

so you admit that the O line had a bad game and then say Brady was pathetic but dont collerate the 2?? Thats weird.

Im not saying he was perfect but he made the plays that were there. Notmany. Guys werent open.That mean its harder to squeeze in those throws. That pass to Thompkins is a catch by any REAL WR. He has been doing that the last 5 years but these guys cant catch easy balls, let alone hard ones so thats Bradys fault too. Defenses dictate how balls are thrown. They all cant be easy. Those catches where you go down and make the catch ARE cactchable balls. IF KT was making ROUTINE catches, you would have a point. wes made those sliding to ground catches. Gronk grabbed the ball off his shoestrings. Brady got spoiled with talent and now he has none

Sue him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

so you admit that the O line had a bad game and then say Brady was pathetic but dont collerate the 2?? Thats weird.

Im not saying he was perfect but he made the plays that were there. Notmany. Guys werent open.That mean its harder to squeeze in those throws. That pass to Thompkins is a catch by any REAL WR. He has been doing that the last 5 years but these guys cant catch easy balls, let alone hard ones so thats Bradys fault too. Defenses dictate how balls are thrown. They all cant be easy. Those catches where you go down and make the catch ARE cactchable balls. IF KT was making ROUTINE catches, you would have a point. wes made those sliding to ground catches. Gronk grabbed the ball off his shoestrings. Brady got spoiled with talent and now he has none

Sue him.

[/QUOTE]

Triple, of course there is a correlation with bad pass blocking and ineffective QB play. Absolutely no question. But if the O line plays badly does that mean the QB  cannot be at fault, cannot be accoutable for his own bad play as well?

In this game there were too many plays where the O line was terrible and no one was going to be able to make a play. That is why I give the O line such a harsh grade.

But on plays where TB had reasonable time TB was also horrible. And when he was pressured but still had enough time to at least throw the ball he did not come through. SO he neither made big plays nor did he make routine plays when he had the opportunity.

And if you watch the game which I am sure you did you see WAY too many acrobatic efforts by receivers to try to catch Brady's truly poor passing.

So in this game neither the line nor Brady did anywhere close to their jobs.

Here is what I do not understand: how can people give a player a pass on such truyly bad play? Yes there was no way he was going to have a great game statistically with the play of the O line. But no one gets a free pass when their own play is sub par or as in this case, also terrible. Not even a HOF QB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

Sue him.

[/QUOTE]

ANd Triple, regards the dive I mentioned by Thompkins - that would have been a sensational catch. Not a good catch. A sensational catch. Go back and look at the play. He had to dive with his body stretched out. Not catching that pass is waht I would expect from even the best players. Anyone catching that ball would have made a highlight reel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Sue him.

Triple, of course there is a correlation with bad pass blocking and ineffective QB play. Absolutely no question. But if the O line plays badly does that mean the QB  cannot be at fault, cannot be accoutable for his own bad play as well?

In this game there were too many plays where the O line was terrible and no one was going to be able to make a play. That is why I give the O line such a harsh grade.

But on plays where TB had reasonable time TB was also horrible. And when he was pressured but still had enough time to at least throw the ball he did not come through. SO he neither made big plays nor did he make routine plays when he had the opportunity.

And if you watch the game which I am sure you did you see WAY too many acrobatic efforts by receivers to try to catch Brady's truly poor passing.

Here is what I do not understand: how can people give a player a pass on such truyly bad play? Yes there was no way he was going to have a great game statistically with the play of the O line. But no one gets a free pass when their own play is sub par or as in this case, also terrible. Not even a HOF QB.

Im sorry, I only noticed one catch that a guy had to turn for(Amendola catch)

You ever heard of a coverage sack? Thats when the Qb gets sacked even though he has a lot of time to throw. The reason? WRs not being open. Go back and watch the game and point out the plays where guys were open, Brady had time and just missed them? You cant maybe point out two but without being in his shoes, you sound like announcers noticing two guys running downfield open. Brady cant see the whole field at once. his progressions are based upon play called and the defense he is expecting. That has to align with what WRs see.

Here is my final question. Do we honestly Believe Brady just fell off the map and forgot to play Qb in one year or is the more likely scenario is that he is struggling to adjust to new guys and new style of play after having the most reliable WR in history for 5 years and the best TE in the league to boot to throw too? Im gonna believe he is struggling to work with new guys who are new and green and to some extent just not that good. 

When Brady sales a ball out of bounds and his target his blanketed. I consider that a good play. So dont most coaches. I just dont see how people watch games and dont see that. Most people here probably drunk like Rusty and talking crazy. I watch the games and re-watch the next day. I still stick to my story. Brady had an off day. Did he deserve an F!?  Hellz No. If so, the O-line and Coaching needs to be a n F too. They put him in bad positions over and over trying to throw to guys who are covered. How do you fix tha? same thing happend in SB 42. Joshy calling play after play that didnt work while BB had his back to the field, coaching the D and we lost. Josh was the main problem sunday.

He called the playaction to Solder. He called the Fade to Edleman. They WERENT OPEN

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

Sue him.

You ever heard of a coverage sack? Thats when the Qb gets sacked even though he has a lot of time to throw. The reason? WRs not being open. Go back and watch the game and point out the plays where guys were open, Brady had time and just missed them? You cant maybe point out two but without being in his shoes, you sound like announcers noticing two guys running downfield open. Brady cant see the whole field at once. his progressions are based upon play called and the defense he is expecting. That has to align with what WRs see.

Here is my final question. Do we honestly Believe Brady just fell off the map and forgot to play Qb in one year or is the more likely scenario is that he is struggling to adjust to new guys and new style of play after having the most reliable WR in history for 5 years and the best TE in the league to boot to throw too? Im gonna believe he is struggling to work with new guys who are new and green and to some extent just not that good. 

When Brady sales a ball out of bounds and his target his blanketed. I consider that a good play. So dont most coaches. I just dont see how people watch games and dont see that. Most people here probably drunk like Rusty and talking crazy. I watch the games and re-watch the next day. I still stick to my story. Brady had an off day. Did he deserve an F!?  Hellz No. If so, the O-line and Coaching needs to be a n F too. They put him in bad positions over and over trying to throw to guys who are covered. How do you fix tha? same thing happend in SB 42. Joshy calling play after play that didnt work while BB had his back to the field, coaching the D and we lost. Josh was the main problem sunday.

He called the playaction to Solder. He called the Fade to Edleman. They WERENT OPEN

[/QUOTE]

Triple, I am not disagree with some of your points. FOr example I agree that the receiver play was weak. Too often they do not get separation. I gave them a bad grade too. I also agree that throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack is usually a smart thing to do.

I am not saying that TB is inherently bad. And please note that I am not one who has blaimed Brady for every fault or every loss. But if he makes a bad play he makes a bad play. Whether it is in a SB, a playoff game or a regular season game. ANd are you saying he cannot have a bad game? That it is not possible because good players, great players dont ever have bad games? That would be nonsense. There is no player that has ever gone without ever having a bad game.

I agree regarding ther weak and even poor play of other players: O line, receivers... But Brady did throw his share of truly bad passes even when he had time. I will grant you that with the bad play of the line there were fewer chances where he was able to take his time. I also grant you that without getting open the receivers made too many plays harder for any QB. But that just does not cover the fact that Brady did not do well on the chances he was given NOR did he rise to the occasion and turn difficult plays into good ones the way a really good player might.

This does not mean he has "fallen off" and is now terrible. Where do you get that? He had a very bad game. One game. I do think he has been shaky this year with things like TWO fumbled snaps on critical plays. But I am NOT saying he is suddenly a bad player. All I said was he had a bad game too. If he keeps it up then of course you could say he is having a truly bad year. But at this point all I said was he CERTAINLY had a bad game. 

I expect he will do better as I expect the O line will do better and the young receivers will do better. And we should be better as Gronk, Vereen, Ridly and Amendola all come back full time. That is also a lot to overcome. It is not all on TB by any stretch.

But he had a bad game TOO. Get over it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

Sue him.

[/QUOTE]

By the way, my own grade for the O line was D- (not even a straight D!) .... and D for coaching. So again we agree on a number of points regarding the game. I just dont give a player a good grade cause he has been great in his career. I grade him on the play he is being graded on. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I am not saying that TB is inherently bad. And please note that I am not one who has blaimed Brady for every fault or every loss. But if he makes a bad play he makes a bad play. Whether it is in a SB, a playoff game or a regular season game. ANd are you saying he cannot have a bad game? That it is not possible because good players, great players dont ever have bad games? That would be nonsense. There is no player that has ever gone without ever having a bad game.

But he had a bad game TOO. Get over it.

This does not mean he has "fallen off" and is now terrible. Where do you get that? He had a very bad game. One game

This is why me and you shouldnt be going back and forth. We are in agreement. You havent noticed the multitude of posters here saying Brady is too old and he fell off and look at Alex Smith? Maybe you have the right posters on ignore but my reactionary posts are directly pointed at the ones who are saying OH MY, We need a new QB! Thats BS

As far as him not being able to have a bad game...

I dont believe thats what I said. Of course brady had bad games. What I wont do is come here and make a genius analysis like Brady S*x when I saw a total Clunker starting with the coaching staff who didnt put him in position to win. IF Brady had time plus open guys but just threw balls in the dirt all day, I would say so. I admitted as much in his game 2 weeks ago....that he threw balls in the dirt when WRs were open. Mainly the Dobson TD play 2 weeks ago. I said he has to get better and sighted possible age because MCNabb starting throwing balls in the dirt late in his career. Also he throw MOST of his passes to Wes in the past who could snag those low balls. Usually tom throws low to avoid picks  at the last minute but 2 weeks ago it was rampant and I called him out for it.

This week, this is just lazy monday morning Qb with NO merit. the WHole team had an off day outside of Most of the D.

I have no problem with saying he had a bad game. He did for many reasons...but an F! I cant do it...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

For you Brady defenders, here are some cold, hard football facts: 

If you were picking NFL quarterbacks based only on five games worth of evidence, Tom Brady wouldn’t be anywhere near the top 10. Maybe not even top 20.

I’ve been one of the beat writers for the Patriots for over a decade, and I’ve never seen Brady look this bad. He’s tentative, he’s not taking any chances, he’s uncomfortable, he’s … average. At best.

Most of the blame will and should be laid at the feet of the talent around him, but that doesn’t add up to struggles like we’ve seen this year in New England.

The Patriots have only scored 19 PPG, worst after five games in the Brady era, and Brady himself is a bit of a mess.

While Brady hasn’t been a liability, he hasn’t been a strength, either – he’s been playing like a classic “caretaker QB,” there to avoid mistakes and keep his team in games.

His 6.4 yards per attempt through four games was his worst since his worst season as pro (2002), and while some of it was drops, a lot of it was just shaky play.

That’s basically what he did in Cincinnati (one INT on what amounted to a Hail Mary in a driving rainstorm late), but his normal crisp short throws were off again as they have been for much of the season. His line (18 of 38, 197, 0 TD, 1 INT) was a bit surprising given a strong game in Atlanta, but the fact that it wasn’t flat-out shocking shows you where Brady is at right now.

It can’t be a coincidence that this is going on in conjunction with a defensive resurgence; clearly coach Bill Belichick, who preaches “Do your job,” is asking Brady to do a different job than he has in the past.

How Brady responds to that new job – and how healthy the Patriots can get the rest of the way – will determine a lot about their future: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/who-is-this-impostor-wearing-the-patriots-no-12-jersey/25626/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Again Tex, I ask you. Is this Brady just falling off a Cliff???  Or is his bad play directly correlated to the fact he is missing his top 2 targets who were heavily relied on(gronk and wes) Wes' replacement has been hurt, came back and dropped 3 balls. Gronk never even was replaced. We are playing with last years FB at TE and you guys expect the same results?? Man stop it!

you GO to great lenghts to diss BB and his poor GM skills but cant correlate how it affects the QB position? Did he looked washed up in preseason when everyone said he was throwing the ball better than ever?? Did he just fall off from the Atlanta game till now? Or Maybe a bunch of uneducated fans underated  a Very Good Bengals defense?? 

Im done man. I done want to see articles. YOU show me the plays where Brady cost the game , please. How hard is it?...YOU cannott.. you have access to the 22 game film that shows the whole field? Do you know where to find it? When you do, let me know

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Again Tex, I ask you. Is this Brady just falling off a Cliff???  Or is his bad play directly correlated to the fact he is missing his top 2 targets who were heavily relied on(gronk and wes) Wes' replacement has been hurt, came back and dropped 3 balls. Gronk never even was replaced. We are playing with last years FB at TE and you guys expect the same results?? Man stop it!

RESPONSE: What does it matter? The issue is how Brady played last week against Cincinnati...not whether he's "falling off a cliff", or because he's missing his former top receivers. He played awful in that particular game, regardless of the reason. 

you GO to great lenghts to diss BB and his poor GM skills but cant correlate how it affects the QB position? Did he looked washed up in preseason when everyone said he was throwing the ball better than ever?? Did he just fall off from the Atlanta game till now? Or Maybe a bunch of uneducated fans underated  a Very Good Bengals defense?? 

RESPONSE: Of course BB the GM has failed BB the coach, and done his Hall of Fame QB no favors. But again, what does this have to do with casting a judgment as to how Tom played last week in Cincinnati?

Im done man. I done want to see articles. YOU show me the plays where Brady cost the game , please. How hard is it?...YOU cannott.. you have access to the 22 game film that shows the whole field? Do you know where to find it? When you do, let me know

RESPONSE: Did you watch the game? Do you see some of Brady's throws...like the one he threw behind the Hooman...or the knuckleball he threw to Thompkins on a crossing pattern, that appeared to be a catch, but was overturned on review? You tell me...how well did Tom play? What grade would you have given him? You can blame the WRs all you want, and I did...I gave them an "F" as well. They and their QB were collectively awful. Take away that one 53 yard catch and run play with Dobson late in the 4th quarter, and Brady would have thrown for 144 yards for the game.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The Patriots have 2 running backs injured, unsure-handed rookie receivers who get little to no separation and an offensive line that stunk out there sunday---unable to pass protect or run block---and Brady gets the "F". The entire offense stunk and so did the play calling. 1st and goal from the 3 inch line and we can't punch it in.

As far as "play of the game" how about 3rd and 15 from the 2 and Arrington gets burned yet again? He is unbearably awful trying to cover outside receivers and there he is stinking it up once more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

The Patriots have 2 running backs injured, unsure-handed rookie receivers who get little to no separation and an offensive line that stunk out there sunday---unable to pass protect or run block---and Brady gets the "F". The entire offense stunk and so did the play calling. 1st and goal from the 3 inch line and we can't punch it in.

As far as "play of the game" how about 3rd and 15 from the 2 and Arrington gets burned yet again? He is unbearably awful trying to cover outside receivers and there he is stinking it up once more.

Check the grades I gave to the entire offensive unit: QB: "F", RB "D+", OL "C-", WRs & TEs "F". Coaches: "D". Who was spared? You guys can continue to make excuses for Brady all you like. But, the bottom line is that he stunk against Cincinnati. Last week, after the Atlanta game, he got a well deserved "A"...playing with the same set of receivers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I challenge everyone to go back and re watch the game if possible. Yes Brady had a bad game stat wise, but WHY? If you are the kind of person who likes a QB to take sacks instead of imcompletions, than you have a gripe. If not, I dont know what the guy has to do.

The BENGALS SECONDARY COVERED US ALL DAY! They had their Safety Taylor Mays(the guy who was too dumb to play here) covering Amendola when he came in. One incompletion to Amendola was due to him not being able to cross the face of the safety. He was outmuscled for the spot. Another time Edlelman was covered and he sailed it out of bounds. A THROW AWAY! Something we havent seen from Brady in years. He is progressing! Would you rather him throw INT's or INCOMPLETIONS! If a guy isnt open, what is he supposed to do? How about Joshy calling some run plays?? I saw Joshy talking to Brady b4 the half. It looks like he was saying, hang in there, good job getting three,we will get the no huddle going 2nd half, get you in a rythm(my interpratation) and then BOOM! Brady is out in the 2nd half, running hurry up with a new cast of WRs. It didnt work. THATS COACHING! Brady Wants Balance, beleive me. You think he wants to get beat up?! NO...Rather BB ALWAYS RUNS HIS BEST PLAYERS TO THE GROUND...See Wilfork, Seymour, Troy Brown, Wes,etc. Brady is NO different. He just keeps calling pass play after pass play(was proven in "football life", BB loves to pass and use tempo), expecting his star QB to make magic with Scrubs!  Once he is Done, he will just move on and you sorry saps are gonna be praying for Brady to come back once you see how hard it is to replace him

BB is a Joke sometimes. He screwed up our gameplan because he just HAD to teach Blount a lesson right? how about the guy has 9 career fumbles. Its football. let the guy earn it back!  Instead we had ONE runner for the whole 3rd quarter and bad playcalling due to it....and a L. and I gotta come here Mondy and read Brady getting an F, O-line a C and coaching a D....LMAO!  Just wait.....

This is true. The bengals corners did a good job. I was at the game. We had a chance right up until the rain. I'm not sure if its a separation issue or running the wrong route but at least a few of the incomp's were throw aways from coverage. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thanks for providing some in game perspective Philski. All I was saying is that there were a lot of factors that went into Bradys bad play and the guy hasnt forgot how to play. I think this quote from the Bengals Defensive tackle pretty much sums it up for me. I will end it there. Takes 11 guys in unison to make it work. Fine line between catches and incompletions.

For the majority of the game, he was on his back,” said defensive tackle Domata Peko. “Every play, he needed help coming up off the ground. When you do that to any quarterback — when you get in their face — they’re going to make mistakes.”

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Thanks for providing some in game perspective Philski. All I was saying is that there were a lot of factors that went into Bradys bad play and the guy hasnt forgot how to play. I think this quote from the Bengals Defensive tackle pretty much sums it up for me. I will end it there. Takes 11 guys in unison to make it work. Fine line between catches and incompletions.

“For the majority of the game, he was on his back,” said defensive tackle Domata Peko. “Every play, he needed help coming up off the ground. When you do that to any quarterback — when you get in their face — they’re going to make mistakes.” 

No one (other than Rusty) is saying that Brady has "forgotten how to play", or that his poor performance was all his fault. His receivers were awful (they got an "F", too), his OL provided poor pass protection (but, when you also take into consideration that their run blocking was good...until Josh pulled the plug on the running game...they got a bad grade. too, a "C-"), and the play calling was horrible (coaches got a "D"...not an "F", because coaches also coached the defense). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

“For the majority of the game, he was on his back,” said defensive tackle Domata Peko. “Every play, he needed help coming up off the ground. When you do that to any quarterback — when you get in their face — they’re going to make mistakes.” 

No one (other than Rusty) is saying that Brady has "forgotten how to play", or that his poor performance was all his fault. His receivers were awful (they got an "F", too), his OL provided poor pass protection (but, when you also take into consideration that their run blocking was good...until Josh pulled the plug on the running game...they got a bad grade. too, a "C-"), and the play calling was horrible (coaches got a "D"...not an "F", because coaches also coached the defense). 

na we good. Blount was tearing off some good runs, but the line wasnt good overall. I thought Blount got some yards on his own until his fumble when BB had to sit him. I believe that was the turning point. BB deciding that going with one back and punishing Blount was more important than keeping him in. Dont other teams go right back to players who drop balls and fumbles to increase their confidence?? How many times has Adrian Peterson fumbled? I mean when you have a full stable..ok. but with 2 backs in the game and one doing good work, you sit him and put Brady in the hurry up, shotgun and ask him to keep throwing??? In light of the failures weve seen in the past 5 years. Coaching deserves an F for that. BB needs to Stop it and do things in the best interest of the team like he preaches.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Dead wrong. Your perspective has become severely warped. He gets a C due to complete incompetence all around him. You, and many others, have come to expect the impossible from him because at times he actually does the impossible. The line was garbage; his receivers were garbage.