Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]I agree with your grades although the special teams were nothing great, the Ghost can't kick a ball in the endzone on a kickoff in the dome or else nail a long field goal.

RESPONSE: A "B-" doesn't represent "great". Its' means "fairly-good". The kick coverage, save for the initial kickoff, was good. Have to give credit to Wes Welker and his blockers for his 41 yard punt return. The punting was good...the Ghost made a lame attempt at a 50  yarder.  I agree that he should make a much higher percentage of those in a dome. 

I used to think the Pats were ONE player away from a championship. Many times that one player was injured and already on the team. Now I think the Pats are many players away from a championship with the talent level at every position down a notch from the golden days. I'm not really saying that about Moss, Brady, Welker, and Wilfork, but everyone else isn't as good as the player they replaced.

RESPONSE: Agreed. There is no dominant player(s) on defense. The best defender that the Pats have is Vince Wilfolk. Jerod Mayo is a good, not a great player. Ditto with Ty Warren. The rest, save for Brandon Meriweather, do not impress me. Lots' of work to be done here.
         On offense, the Pats need to find a good 3rd WR to play opposite of Randy Moss, need an upgrade on the right side of the OL, and an upgrade at RB, to replace an aging Kevin Faulk, and a disappointing Laurence Maroney. 

I don't know Tex I've hung with this team faithfully since 2005 just waiting for things to turn around and now I feel like the window has closed. They're just too drained of talent accross the board.

RESPONSE: I've only seen one team thats' substantially better than them...the Saints, and maybe the Vikings. The Pats are not that far behind Indy and San Diego.

I don't know how they amassed the SB talent to begin with but you have to imagine that the franchise QB is the one player many teams can't get and we've got one. We've also got two of the games premier receivers. Other than them and Vince I'm not seeing anyone who is going to step up either now or next year. That secondary is so bad its more than just coaching and experience. What if Merriweather bites on the pump fake the erst of his life? What if these guys will never get any better. How about Wilhite? He's fast but that's it. I think we're seeing the end of the Mystique.

RESPONSE: Replace Dean Pees with an agressive DC, add an edge rusher, and you'll see the "mystique" return.

It was a great run while it lasted and I've only got one hope for the future and that's that BB has something up his sleeve for 2011 with the Oakland pick. They need MANY new players either through the draft or free agency. Its like you said no one is going to worry about this team if they make the playoffs. This was a team that could have won 5-6 SBs this decade; what a let down.

RESPONSE: The Pats could have won five...the three they did win, and in 2006-2007.

Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Very good report card Tex....Tough game...a lot not to like, and I didnt like the somber convo I saw between Brady and Bill looking like they were searching for answers, and I think for the 1st time Bill has conceded that he was outmatched, and I think he could've went back and made 3 other gameplans and would've lost...but I agree for me the worst part of the game is that we were in control and up 7-3 after pounding them out with Maroney, we get a good return by Welker to midfield and instead of breaking this teams spirit by continuning to pound the rock you go shotgun 1st down and force the ball....INT..game over..!!  IMO  it was over after that!   This teams doesnt know how to take advantage of momentum and close the door on someones face when its time...instead of treating teams like thanksgiving dinner guests!
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

I too thought that the first Brady pick, with the Patriots driving, and leading, 7-3, was the key play of the game. Can't make those kinds of mistakes, and beat a team like the Saints.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsRush. Show SportsRush's posts

Little Bill Belichick coached as if he was asleep, passing up FGs, going for it on 4th & 4, and pulling the plug and conceding the game instead of playing 60 minutes. Yes, they were down 21 with 5:26 left, but when you have Tom Brady and Randy Moss and 2 timeouts, why give up? I doubt Peyton Manning comes out of the game if the Colts are down 21 with 5:26 to play and two timeouts.

I tend to think Little Bill was afraid if he didn't throw in the towel that the Saints would keep playing full throttle and score 52 on him. And Little Bill only likes it when he's on the giving end of such scores.

He's a punk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasecl. Show wasecl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD : You're giving up on the team because they lost a regular season game?  Pull yourself together man.  The mighty Patriots aren't beat yet.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The defense is still one of the stingiest in the league. They got burned against two good teams(NO, IND) with great QBs. Other than that they held their own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from molgen. Show molgen's posts

In 2004 the Pats lost to the Steelers in the regular season by 2 TDs, then came back to beat them in the Conference finals by 2 TDs. Not saying it will happen again, and I have less confidence in this year's team, but there is precedent for Pats being able to perform remarkable turnabouts. Also, let's remember that this is still a young defensive unit. We can hope that they learn from this experience and get better as a unit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

TexPat, I'm glad you took the time to do this because hopefully we can all just agree it was one of the worst games in a long time and move on to Miami and Oggieman. They needed to come out and hit on all cylinders in all three phases and didn't play well in any of them. Saints kicked butt bottom line.

To me it seemed like they were trying to stretch the field too early on offense. I myself wouldn't mind seeing Charlie come back and take five yard plays all day long like they used to. Remember the death by a thousand slices offense we used to run to keep the opposing D on the field until they were dead and then open it up.

I honestly can't add anything but negativity to what happened on D so I'd rather not. We all saw the game. All I can say is they need to improve big time if they think they're going somewhere in the playoffs.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from molgen. Show molgen's posts

[QUOTE]Molgen..thats a nice way of lookin at it...and normally I would agree with you...but we already went thru this 3 weeks ago, so thats what is disturbing..everyone talked about not letting what happened in Indy happen again..we already had played the Colts at Lucas...we should have been prepared..and frankly I dont see it turning on suddenly in the playoffs...Each year that goes by..we look more vulnerable in the playoffs...Evenin 07..with the team we had we didnt blow anyone out in the playoffs...so I dont know..I think this is a glorified rebuilding year...
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]
    The 2004 team was mentally tough. This year's team, particularly the defense, seems too young still. May need another year, or two, of learning and toughening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seajere. Show seajere's posts

Hi Texas.

My only thought after reflecting upon the fiasco I watched last night, is that the Saints would have beaten any team - present or past - that had the misfortune of playing them in the Super Dome on this particular Monday. The crowd, the buzz in the city, even the full moon seemed to portend well for the Saints. 

You are right in your assessments though I think you're too easy on the special teams. Gostcowki never hit a kick off into the end zone as did the Saints kicker all night long, taking away our return game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD : The 2004 team was mentally tough. This year's team, particularly the defense, seems too young still. May need another year, or two, of learning and toughening.
    Posted by molgen[/QUOTE]

The 2004 Patriots were more balanced and talented than the current edition...especially on defense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Let's all take a deep breath here and think back about 4-5 weeks ago when we were looking at the upcoming schedule.  We knew the Pats were going to have tough games against Indy and New Orleans.  I, along with many other posters, were stating that if the Pats won the next 3 out of 5, they would be in good shape.  Right now, they are 2-2, going into Miami for another tough game.  Let's not fall into the trap of throwing the whole team and coaching staff under the bus.  A loss is a loss, no matter the score.  Did they stink up the joint last night, absolutely.  But, it happens.  Playoffs are the second season.  Let's win out in the division and move on.  Stay strong, people.
    Posted by southernpat

The Pats haven't beaten a truly good team since 2007.

This season, they're winless on the road (beating 1-10 TB at a neutral site doesn't count).

Now that they lost, last night, the Pats are behind Cincy and SD for the #2 seed. If they lose at Miami, the #3 seed is in jepordy. How important is the 3-spot? Let's put it this way: Pittsburgh will likely run the table and finish 11-5. Since they are 3 games behind Cincy, they will settle for the #5 seeded Wild Card. That means they'll play the #4 seed. I don't think the Steelers are a good match for the Pats, even in Foxboro.

Since the Pats won't get either top 2 seeds, they'll likely have to beat TWO tough teams on the road.

But, I agree. I need to take a deep breath and put my faith in a team that can neither stop great QBs nor beat good teams on the road.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots @ Saints REPORT CARD : The Pats haven't beaten a truly good team since 2007. This season, they're winless on the road (beating 1-10 TB at a neutral site doesn't count)...Since the Pats won't get either top 2 seeds, they'll likely have to beat TWO tough teams on the road. But, I agree. I need to take a deep breath and put my faith in a team that can neither stop great QBs nor beat good teams on the road.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?
    Posted by CubanPete[/QUOTE]

Yes, oh wily sage from Havana...I'm sure Mrs. Lincoln had had better times...LOL!! The South certainly rose up and whipped up on the Union boys last night. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Tex, Patsfan.....  both of you are echoing a thought I had since the game last evening.  On the Saints first possession, drive down the field, it is looking like they are going to put the first TD on the board.  The D gets a 3rd down stop, (wow, what is that?!) and the Saints settle for a FG.  The Pats get the ball and answer with a TD, talk about deflating the Saints in the early going and giving them the thought Brady is gonna pick us apart like everyone said he may.  D stops the Saints again and Welker gets a great punt return to midfield.  You can hear the salivating from the Pats O starting a mid-field given how they did on the fiirst possession.  First play, Brady makes an ill-advised throw and the pick.  From that point forward the Saints carried the game, they now felt they COULD stop the Pats while we get a totally different feel from the Pats with no where near the effort and confidence from that first drive.  I felt that sequence set the tone for the rest of the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Thx TexPat for your weekly report.

QB: You were too kind with Brady with a D-, I would have given a BIG FAT F. We can say whatever we want about the lack of pass rush and that Peyton, Drew and whoever when given the time would shred any defense but that seems not to be the case with Tom Brady. His last interception was a bonehead throw! He was elusive enough in the pocket, buying himself enough time and then threw the ball in a place where there were absolutely no WR in sight. His first interception was also awful: a floating pass over the middle of the field. I could have thrown the same interception without any pb.

OL: I totally agree with you that Vollmer was missed. The only positive is that we know who is our LT of the future. Hasn't Vollmer a little brother who can fill the gap at RT? Kazur had his too usual bad game VS a good team.

WR: slowly but surely I get the bad feeling that Moss has lost a step: he doesn't seem to get separation any longer, he not fighting for the ball. Welker is Brady's prime target, not Moss any more. That worries me...

Coaching: I would have given them a BIG S (S like shameful): waving the white flag with more than 5mins on the clock??? Isn't a Hall of fame QB able to score 2 TDs in less than 5 mins? The chances were pretty slim but no one knows, 2 quick TDs and an onside kick could have tied the game, but no, Bill opted for the coward and shameful option.

All in all, as a fan, I felt it was one of worst game of the Pats in a very long time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]Thx TexPat for your weekly report. QB: You were too kind with Brady with a D-, I would have given a BIG FAT F. We can say whatever we want about the lack of pass rush and that Peyton, Drew and whoever when given the time would shred any defense but that seems not to be the case with Tom Brady. His last interception was a bonehead throw! He was elusive enough in the pocket, buying himself enough time and then threw the ball in a place where there were absolutely no WR in sight. His first interception was also awful: a floating pass over the middle of the field. I could have thrown the same interception without any pb. OL: I totally agree with you that Vollmer was missed. The only positive is that we know who is our LT of the future. Hasn't Vollmer a little brother who can fill the gap at RT? Kazur had his too usual bad game VS a good team. WR: slowly but surely I get the bad feeling that Moss has lost a step: he doesn't seem to get separation any longer, he not fighting for the ball. Welker is Brady's prime target, not Moss any more. That worries me... Coaching: I would have given them a BIG S (S like shameful): waving the white flag with more than 5mins on the clock??? Isn't a Hall of fame QB able to score 2 TDs in less than 5 mins? The chances were pretty slim but no one knows, 2 quick TDs and an onside kick could have tied the game, but no, Bill opted for the coward and shameful option. All in all, as a fan, I felt it was one of worst game of the Pats in a very long time.
    Posted by FrogLegs[/QUOTE]
    21 points is 3TD's.  This isn't peewee football there is no trophy for trying hard.  The game was over, the pats didn't need to injure somebody trying to only lose by 7 or 14, they are still trying to get to the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

/> The game was over, the pats didn't need to injure somebody trying to only
    /> lose by 7 or 14

Really? Then why were the starters still on the field when NE was leading 31-14 at the end of the 4th quarter VS the jets?

/>  they are still trying to get to the playoffs.

They just need to win VS the Dolphins to reach the playoffs. Still by playing the way they play at this time they won't last long in the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Thx TexPat for your weekly report. QB: You were too kind with Brady with a D-, I would have given a BIG FAT F. We can say whatever we want about the lack of pass rush and that Peyton, Drew and whoever when given the time would shred any defense but that seems not to be the case with Tom Brady. His last interception was a bonehead throw! He was elusive enough in the pocket, buying himself enough time and then threw the ball in a place where there were absolutely no WR in sight. His first interception was also awful: a floating pass over the middle of the field. I could have thrown the same interception without any pb.

RESPONSE: The great QBs are especially effective when they are allow to survey downfield, while remaining stationary in the pocket. Cause them to move, and a defense can cut down on their effectiveness. Watch Peyton Manning whenever he's made to leave, or move within, the pocket. He's not nearly as effective. The same goes with Brady and Brees.

OL: I totally agree with you that Vollmer was missed. The only positive is that we know who is our LT of the future. Hasn't Vollmer a little brother who can fill the gap at RT? Kazur had his too usual bad game VS a good team.

RESPONSE: Agreed. The Pats need an upgrade at RT. I always thought that Kaczur would be more effective as a guard.

WR: slowly but surely I get the bad feeling that Moss has lost a step: he doesn't seem to get separation any longer, he not fighting for the ball. Welker is Brady's prime target, not Moss any more. That worries me...

RESPONSE: Moss is constantly being double-teamed. This is why I've been saying since the pre-season that Joey Galloway was not the answer as the #3 receiver...and that the Pats needed to find one to take some of the heat off Moss. Remember that, in 2007, the Pats had either Donte' Stallworth or Jabar Gaffney playing opposite of Randy. The Pats need this 3rd option to pair with Moss and Welker to return to 2007 form.  

Coaching: I would have given them a BIG S (S like shameful): waving the white flag with more than 5mins on the clock??? Isn't a Hall of fame QB able to score 2 TDs in less than 5 mins? The chances were pretty slim but no one knows, 2 quick TDs and an onside kick could have tied the game, but no, Bill opted for the coward and shameful option.

RESPONSE: I saw nothing wrong with BB pulling Tom in the waning minutes. Tom had been sacked twice and was hit 7 times by the marauding Saints' front seven. It was just not the Patriots' night.

All in all, as a fan, I felt it was one of worst game of the Pats in a very long time.

RESPONSE: Agreed. Its' the worst performance by a Patriots' team since December of 2006, when they lost to Nick  Saban's Dolphins in Miami, 21-0.

Posted by FrogLegs[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

FrogLegs got me thinking...

I hate it and am still denying it, but Moss isn't the same (age, almost certainly). Added to that, Tom Terrific unfortunately hasn't really gelled with the other WRs (obviously except Welker), and we are not fielding A+ players out there.

Those 3 things lead me to this:

While I was watching the game, a feeling washed over me that somehow a torch was being passed.
    Not TO the Saints necessarily (although, possibly), but we're simply laying out the torch to allow others to grab and go with it.

I felt this way about the Celts after the Parish, McHale, Bird, Johnson & Ainge days were over. Then with the Celts and recently with the Pats, we had a great team and a great bench.

Those days are gone.
    We're going to be watching an incremental decline; hopefully, not one lasting years and years.

Mr Kraft, do you see this?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, Patsfan.....  both of you are echoing a thought I had since the game last evening.  On the Saints first possession, drive down the field, it is looking like they are going to put the first TD on the board.  The D gets a 3rd down stop, (wow, what is that?!) and the Saints settle for a FG.  The Pats get the ball and answer with a TD, talk about deflating the Saints in the early going and giving them the thought Brady is gonna pick us apart like everyone said he may.  D stops the Saints again and Welker gets a great punt return to midfield.  You can hear the salivating from the Pats O starting a mid-field given how they did on the fiirst possession.  First play, Brady makes an ill-advised throw and the pick.  From that point forward the Saints carried the game, they now felt they COULD stop the Pats while we get a totally different feel from the Pats with no where near the effort and confidence from that first drive.  I felt that sequence set the tone for the rest of the game.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Obviously, the New Orleans game was a stinker. How the Pats' react in Miami will tell us much about the quality and intestinal fortitude of the players on this team. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from creiner812. Show creiner812's posts

Can't win with 2nd and 3rd rounders.  You need the studs . trade up not down.  Go for quality not quantity. Poor drafing has left the Pats with no super pass rusher no super corners and no super outside linebackers.  The media always points to the cap but this doen't seem to bother the Colts Steelers or Vikes.  BB is starting to look like Cleveland all over again without the horses.  The Pats are totally no competative this year.   They didn't learn a thing fropm the Rache Cauldwell affair.  With the supporting cast the Pats are mediocre at best and will only make the playoffs because of a weak stinking division.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from creiner812. Show creiner812's posts

Yup here we go here we go here we go again...Red Soxs 80 yrs w/o a team ,Celts 20 yrs,  Bruins too long to remember.  Camelot is gone in Foxboro unless they trade up instead of down.  Quality over quantity.  You can always pick up mediocre players..The draft, the draft the draft is where you find the studs but you have to be willing to pay the price.  Seymour, oh Seymour where have you gone?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Can't win with 2nd and 3rd rounders.  You need the studs . trade up not down.

RESPONSE: Quit panicking. You and far too many others are acting as if the Patriots are 2-9, instead of 7-4. No team has played as difficult a schedule as the Patriots. Despite their debacle in New Orleans, they're still a very good team. 

Can't win with 2nd and 3rd rounders? Goodness...you sound like Danny Snyder. Their decade of dominance began with their 2001 team, which was built around a QB selected with the 199th pick of the 2000 draft, non-first round draft choices, and a bunch of mid-tier free agents. Here are 29 such other players, besides Tom Brady, that made up that team:

1.) SS Lawyer Milloy was a 2nd rounder;
    2.) ILB Tedy Bruschi a 3rd rounder;
    3.) OLB Mike Vrabel a free agent;
    4.) LT Matt Light was a 2nd rounder;
    5.) RB Kevin Faulk was a 2nd rounder;
    6.) WR Troy Brown an 8th round pick;
    7.) WR David Patton was a free agent acquisition;
    8.) DE Anthony Pleasant was a free agent aquisition;
    9.) ILB Roman Phifer was a free agent acquisition;
    10.) RB Antowain Smith was a free agent acquisition;
    11.) DE Bobby Hamilton was a free agent acquisition;
    12.) PK Adam Vinatieri was an undrafted free agent acquisition;
    13.) CB Otis Smith was a free agent acquisition;
    14.) FB Marc Edwards was a free agent acquisition;
    15.) RG Joe Andruzzi was a free agent acquisition;
    16.) LB Larry Izzo was a free agent acquisition;
    17.) RB JR Redmond a 3rd round draft choice;
    18.) RB Patrick Pass a 7th round draft pick;
    19.) LB Bryan Cox was a free agent acquisition;
    20.) LG Mike (Snow Angel) Compton was a free agent acquisition;
    21.) RT Greg Robinson-Randall was a 4th round draft pick
    22.) OT Tom Ashworth was a free agent acquisition;
    23.) CB Terrell Buckley was a free agent acquisition;
    24.) TE Jermaine Wiggins was a free agent acquisition;
    25.) P Ken Walter was a free agent acquisition;
    26.) ILB Ted Johnson was a 2nd round draft choice;
    27.) Long snapper Lonnie Paxton was a free agent acquisition;
    28.) OG Steven Neal was signed as an undrafted free agent;
    29.) OG Russ Hochstein was a free agent acquisition.
         Richard Seymour (rookie), Willie McGinest, Ty Law, Tebucky Jones, and Damien Woody were 1st round picks who were major contributors.     

In 2002, The Pats added WR Deion Branch (2nd round draft choice), OLB Rosevelt Colvin (free agent), CB Tyrone Poole (free agent)WR David Givens (7th round draft choice), TE Christian Fauria (free agent), and SS Rodney Harrison (free agent)...the Pats also traded up to the 21st overall pick to select TE Daniel Graham.

In 2003, the Pats added FS Eugene Wilson (2nd round draft choice), NT Ted Washington (trade), C Dan Koppen (5th round draft pick), CB Asante Samuel (4th round draft pick), WR/KR Bethel Johnson (2nd round pick), OLB Tully Banta-Cain (7th round draft pick), DE Jarvis Green (4th round draft pick), NT Dan Klecko (4th round draft pick)...the Pats used their first round pick to select DE Ty Warren (13th overall, from the Drew Bledsoe trade).

In 2004, the Pats added free agent NT Keith Traylor (to replace leaving free agent, Ted Washington), CB Randal Gay (undrafted free agent), LB Eric Alexander (undrafted free agent), P Josh Miller (free agent), RB Corey Dillon (traded 2nd round pick for him)...first round picks Vince Wilfolk and Ben Watson also were key contributors.        

Go for quality not quantity. Poor drafing has left the Pats with no super pass rusher no super corners and no super outside linebackers.  The media always points to the cap but this doen't seem to bother the Colts Steelers or Vikes.

RESPONSE: ILB Jerod Mayo was quality. Don't like the Pats' trade downs in the 2009 draft? The Pats traded their 23rd overall pick (which they could have used on RT Michael Oher, CB Vontae Davis, or OLB Clay Mathews), for the 26th pick overall and a 5th rounder...then traded the 26th overall pick to GB for the 41st, 73rd, and 83rd overall selections. So...would you rather  the Patriots have OLB Clay Mathews, or CB Darius Butler, Jacksonville's 2nd round pick in 2010, and injured WR Brandon Tate?

In addition, it appears that the Pats got #1 draft choice value at #58, with the selection of OT Sebastien Vollmer. Furthermore, don't forget that the Pats own the Titans' second round draft choice in 2010...and the Raiders' #1 pick in 2011. 

The Vikings paid big money, as well as a #1 and 3rd round draft choice in a trade to acquire DE Jared Allen. But, theres' no denying that getting Allen was well worth the price paid. The Steelers got DE James Harrison as an undrafted free agent, and OLB Lamar Woodley was a 2nd round draft choice.  

BB is starting to look like Cleveland all over again without the horses.  The Pats are totally no competative this year.

RESPONSE: Really? They came within a point of beating the undefeated Colts in Indy...and lost to the then undefeated Broncos on the road in OT. The only game in which they weren't competitive was against the undefeated, powerhouse Saints. 

They didn't learn a thing fropm the Rache Cauldwell affair.

RESPONSE: Learn what? The Pats wisely decided not to overpay Deion Branch and David Givens. The eventual trade of Branch allowed the Pats to draft budding star safety, Brandon Meriweather. The 2006 WR duo of free agents Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell was good enough to carry the Pats to the AFC Title game, where the refs and the defense cost the Pats another SB trip.  

With the supporting cast the Pats are mediocre at best and will only make the playoffs because of a weak stinking division.

RESPONSE: Completely disagree. The Pats are far from "mediocre". The only team that has dominated them is the Saints. There are only 3-4 teams tops that are currently better than the Pats...Saints, Vikings, Colts, and Chargers. The Pats are just a quality pass-rusher, and an upgrade at 3rd WR away, from being on the same level with those 3-4 teams. 

The Pats have never been able to replace Willie McGinest. BB hoped that Adalius Thomas would be that guy. But, unfortunately, Thomas has underachieved with the Pats...and likely will be gone in 2010.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Yup here we go here we go here we go again...Red Soxs 80 yrs w/o a team ,Celts 20 yrs,  Bruins too long to remember.  Camelot is gone in Foxboro unless they trade up instead of down.  Quality over quantity.  You can always pick up mediocre players..The draft, the draft the draft is where you find the studs but you have to be willing to pay the price.  Seymour, oh Seymour where have you gone?
    Posted by creiner812[/QUOTE]

Seymour is in Oakland. He hasn't had much of an impact on their defense, has he?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are the Pats' still in a daze over their loss to the Colts?: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3003_Ombudsdouche%3A_Pats%2C_like_Cool_Hand_Luke%2C_%27don%27t_have_their_mind_right%27.html