Patriots-Bills season opening game thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread

In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread:
    [QUOTE]Hard to feel good about this win.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

A WIN is a WIN...   they are not being judged on how pretty they are, this was an ugly W.  Would you prefer an ugly LOSS and say we'll get them next time?  How about we accept this ugly WIN and say we'll be MUCH BETTER next time!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : I feel great about this one.  We beat the bills and the officials.  I feel great!!
    Posted by bkaszynski[/QUOTE]

I'll say this about that . . .

Somebody better figure out just exactly what is a legal way to tackle the quarterback.

I though both roughing flags were bogus (although you could make a case for Thomas' body slam).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qcubed. Show Qcubed's posts

quintessential Brady!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Why can't they just blow these teams out like they are supposed to. Geez weez my heart can't take a season of these last minute dramatics?

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This should be a goody for the Super Bowl DVD.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HipHopHooray. Show HipHopHooray's posts

Those final 5 minutes of the game, show that Brady being Brady!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freeradical8. Show freeradical8's posts

We'll take the win... defense has alot of new guys so they'll get better.
    Vintage Brady... he is back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qcubed. Show Qcubed's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : I'll say this about that . . . Somebody better figure out just exactly what is a legal way to tackle the quarterback. I though both roughing flags were bogus (although you could make a case for Thomas' body slam).

I agree - the new rule will be a learning experience for everyone.  That said, the first call, in the endzone, was completely bogus.  When I saw the flag I thought they were calling it a safety since he basically threw the ball away.  finding out it was a 15 yard penalty and 1st down was pretty hard to swallow...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : I'll say this about that . . . Somebody better figure out just exactly what is a legal way to tackle the quarterback. I though both roughing flags were bogus (although you could make a case for Thomas' body slam).

I think Wilfork's was his dive helmet first to the waist of the QB.  I think this was a Brady rule penalty, whether properly called or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

For people trashing the "D".

T.O. and Lee Evans combined: 5 catches 71 yards.

Total nonfactor.

Anemic pass rush. 4 sacks.

276 total offensive yards.

Less those two bogus penalties that carried the Bills, this was a good performance. The offense was rusty as a doornail, but they got it together when it counted.

Sure they made a few mistakes on misdirection plays, but by the halfway point of this season, this defense could be as good as any they have feilded in the last 3-4 years, and perhaps better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qcubed. Show Qcubed's posts

special teams was phenomenal

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I don't feel like those come backs from 2007-08 BUT will take it !
    Like I said earlier:
    The Bills always find a way to make a monumental mistake in a prime time game !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : I think Wilfork's was his dive helmet first to the waist of the QB.  I think this was a Brady rule penalty, whether properly called or not.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

B S

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

glad to c brady finally channeling his inner cassell at the end there!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

All this preseason we've been talking about how the Offense is going to have to carry the defense. Game 1, NE D (17 Points allowed) won the game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qcubed. Show Qcubed's posts

[QUOTE]For people trashing the "D". T.O. and Lee Evans combined: 5 catches 71 yards. Total nonfactor. Anemic pass rush. 4 sacks. 276 total offensive yards. Less those two bogus penalties that carried the Bills, this was a good performance. The offense was rusty as a doornail, but they got it together when it counted. Sure they made a few mistakes on misdirection plays, but by the halfway point of this season, this defense could be as good as any they have feilded in the last 3-4 years, and perhaps better.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely not as impressed with the D as you were.  They barely got to the QB, tackling was terrible and the Bills moved down the field way too easily.  I still think they will end up being very good, but there's a lot of work to be done.  Trent Edwards shouldn't look this good against us...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm far less concerned about the defense than I am about the offensive line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

THAT WAS INCREDIBLE I CANT BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : B S
    Posted by bostatewarrior[/QUOTE]

I didn't say I was right, but my opinion of why it was called is BS?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : I think Wilfork's was his dive helmet first to the waist of the QB.  I think this was a Brady rule penalty, whether properly called or not.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

It was Brady rule. But Gruden was 100% correct. That was a tackle at the waist. It wasn't even close to the knees, and was a huge play in the game.
    I understand they want to protect the franchise QB's. But seriously, I don't know what is going to happen to the game if they keep over-officiating it like this. The art of defense is going to seriously die.

Instead of fining Pollard for putting his helmet right on Brady's knee, noting it, and moving on, they make it illegal to tackle.

Seriously. Think about this. If you go too high: flag. If you go too low: flag. If you lead with your helmet: flag. If you finish the tackle like you would with a RB or WR: flag.

So basically they are allowed to gently hug the QB. Anything else is a flag.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Z, I agree.  Its a violent game and QB's play in it.  This goes for PM, too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoobs7. Show scoobs7's posts

The Pats were just handed a gift-wrapped win by the Bills, and you guys are arguing about a stupid penalty? Rejoice!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I'm far less concerned about the defense than I am about the offensive line.

The O line looked out of sync early in the game, but looked much better in the 2nd half. The jury is still out for me, because aside from a few runs by Maroney, the whole offense looked out of sync in the 1st half.

Light looked bad at first, but settled in. I think as Brady gets more comfortable the line will look better.

Then fans also need to get used to the fact that Ne never has and never will have a "Cadillac" O-line, because BB has always gone on the cheap there, going for depth over top-tier starters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

Anybody care to chime in on the plusses and minusses of the game?  My version (without the help of any stats) . . . .

Plusses - Merriweather, Faulk, Watson, Brady adjsuting to blitzes

Minusses - Run D, Off play calling, overall intensity (for 3-1/2 quarters), D pass rush

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : It was Brady rule. But Gruden was 100% correct. That was a tackle at the waist. It wasn't even close to the knees, and was a huge play in the game. I understand they want to protect the franchise QB's. But seriously, I don't know what is going to happen to the game if they keep over-officiating it like this. The art of defense is going to seriously die. Instead of fining Pollard for putting his helmet right on Brady's knee, noting it, and moving on, they make it illegal to tackle. Seriously. Think about this. If you go too high: flag. If you go too low: flag. If you lead with your helmet: flag. If you finish the tackle like you would with a RB or WR: flag. So basically they are allowed to gently hug the QB. Anything else is a flag.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Wait until a penalty such as this, a questionable one, turns the game around and decides the outcome.  IE - QB tackled and the penalty gives that team another play and as a result scores to win on the next play to end the game.  Of course, it may depend on which team the call goes against, like the Colts.  I am certain there were a number of watchers who liked the call tonite going against the Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Patriots-Bills season opening game thread : I'm definitely not as impressed with the D as you were.  They barely got to the QB, tackling was terrible and the Bills moved down the field way too easily.  I still think they will end up being very good, but there's a lot of work to be done.  Trent Edwards shouldn't look this good against us...
    Posted by bkaszynski[/QUOTE]

Are you mental? They only gave up 17 points against a team with nearly as many weapons as we have.