Patriots Defense Must have Enforcers in the Secondary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Patriots Defense Must have Enforcers in the Secondary

Not since the days of Rodney Harrison has the Patriots had a true enforcer on the back end of the defense. Obviously, Bernard Pollard is an enforcer for Baltimore as his hits on the Patriots players and the fines he has tallied as well show his hard-hitting style. Looking at this Super Bowl, both teams have hard-hitting safeties such as Bernard Pollard for the Ravens and Donte Whitner (along with Dashon Goldson) for the 49ers. When looking at the Patriots secondary, who are the enforcers? Patrick Chung, but he's often injured and is always missing time due to the injuries. Outside of Patrick Chung, there are no real enforcers on the back end of the defense. What Bernard Pollard is doing to a lot of Patriots players, the players in the secondary for the Patriots have got to do the same thing and that's hit & put players out. This defense needs enforcers in this secondary because nobody is scared to go across the middle on this Patriots defense, that must change.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Patriots Defense Must have Enforcers in the Secondary

Give Ebner another two years to learn how to read and cover and he can be an enforcer. He's a great tackler, but he's too raw. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Give Ebner another two years to learn how to read and cover and he can be an enforcer. He's a great tackler, but he's too raw. 

I think he is a great tackler, but a lot of playing safety is pure instinct. He will either have it or he will not. I am not sure it can be taught (and if it can I am not sure that Brian Flores and Josh Boyer are capable of teaching).

I have my fingers crossed on guys like Ebner. He has a ton of raw physical talent, but the defensive back coaching over the past several years in NE has not been top notch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to millergrnv's comment:

Not since the days of Rodney Harrison has the Patriots had a true enforcer on the back end of the defense. Obviously, Bernard Pollard is an enforcer for Baltimore as his hits on the Patriots players and the fines he has tallied as well show his hard-hitting style. Looking at this Super Bowl, both teams have hard-hitting safeties such as Bernard Pollard for the Ravens and Donte Whitner (along with Dashon Goldson) for the 49ers. When looking at the Patriots secondary, who are the enforcers? Patrick Chung, but he's often injured and is always missing time due to the injuries. Outside of Patrick Chung, there are no real enforcers on the back end of the defense. What Bernard Pollard is doing to a lot of Patriots players, the players in the secondary for the Patriots have got to do the same thing and that's hit & put players out. This defense needs enforcers in this secondary because nobody is scared to go across the middle on this Patriots defense, that must change.

Rodney was also one of the better cover safeties too...that's why he's likely to be a hall of famer. Chung brings the wood, he just can't stay on the field. McCourty is the key guy moving forward that they can build the backend of the defense around. Then replacing or resigning Talib, which means that Belicheck has to rethink how he values the corner position.  

Denard showed promise at the other corner, if they can sign Talib along with McCourty at safety it would allow them to deploy a big hitter in the secondary. That said, you can be physical without being a head hunter...with the new rules about teeing off on defenseless receivers coming over the middle. Guys like Pollard will soon become dinasours  of days gone bye. 

Being physical is a mindset that has to be part of the defenses identity and if I had any issues with the current Patriots schemes both on offense and defense is that we've morphed into a finesse team On both sides of the ball...