Patriots eligible for practice squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots eligible for practice squad

Patriots eligible for practice squad

By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com

The Patriots' roster currently stands at 88 players, two shy of the maximum allowable limit of 90 during this portion of the offseason. By the time training camp concludes, the team will begin the process of shaving its roster down to 53 players, which must be done by Aug. 31 this year. 

Starting Sept. 1, teams can construct their practice squad, which consists of up to eight players. Not every player is eligible to be on the practice squad, however, as there are specifications, highlighted below: 

1. A player who has not accrued a season of NFL experience is eligible for the practice squad. (e.g. a rookie). 

2. A free agent who was active (46-man game-day roster) for fewer than nine games during their accrued season(s) is eligible for the practice squad (e.g. Jake Bequette). 

3. A player cannot be on a practice squad for a third season unless his team has a full 53-man roster. 

Here is the list of all practice squad eligible Patriots on the team's current roster, with his accrued season total in parentheses: 

Wide receiver Kamar Aiken (1) 
    Punter Ryan Allen (0) 
    Defensive lineman Armond Armstead (0) 
    Fullback Ben Bartholomew (0) 
    Linebacker Steve Beauharnais (0) 
    Defensive end Jake Bequette (1) 
    Wide receiver Josh Boyce (0) 
    Defensive end Michael Buchanan (0) 
    Linebacker Jamie Collins (0) 
    Safety Kanorris Davis (0) 
    Wide receiver Aaron Dobson (0) 
    Cornerback Ras-I Dowling (2) 
    Offensive tackle Elvis Fisher (0) 
    Tight end Brandon Ford (0) 
    Defensive lineman Marcus Forston (0) 
    Defensive lineman Cory Grissom (0) 
    Defensive back Duron Harmon (0) 
    Wide receiver Mark Harrison (0) 
    Offensive tackle Kevin Haslam (3) 
    Defensive back Brandon Jones (0) 
    Offensive lineman Josh Kline (0) 
    Offensive lineman R.J. Mattes (0) 
    Offensive lineman Chris McDonald (0) 
    Defensive back Stephon Morris (0) 
    Defensive back Logan Ryan (0) 
    Center Matt Stankiewitch (0) 
    Tight end Zach Sudfeld (0) 
    Linebacker Jeff Tarpinian (1) 
    Wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins (0) 
    Defensive end Jason Vega (0) 
    Defensive lineman Joe Vellano (0) 
    Long snapper Mike Zupancic (0) 
    Offensive lineman Markus Zusevics (1)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Patriots eligible for practice squad

Wait a min. Brady's not eliigible, what are we going to do now that with have the next Young/Luck??? J/K, but I'm looking at Zupancic, Harrison, McDonald, Grissom and Stankiewitch to make the PS if they sneak through waivers.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Number 2.) Tim Tebow...

Just looking at this, JB is no eligible.

Aaron Dobson # 17; Tom Brady's new best friend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sorry but I think the "practice squad" is dumb. Make them be a part of the team then just activate 43.  The whole concept of it makes me feel someone thought it would make the game better adding a bunch more rules.

If they want to add rules then make a rule that any signing has to have a minimum amount of guaranteed money, that would eliminate the Ross Ventrones of the world or make him make as much money as Brady.

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

too many injuries to have 53 players available for practice....the PS makes perfect sense to have a player learn the system and be a potential fill in if injury occurs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wait a min. Brady's not eliigible, what are we going to do now that with have the next Young/Luck??? J/K, but I'm looking at Zupancic, Harrison, McDonald, Grissom and Stankiewitch to make the PS if they sneak through waivers.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

I would agree that all of those guys could be likely canidates.  I would also consider Thompkins, Aiken, Vellano, Jones, Allen, Vega, and Winn.  Heck, a couple of these guys could even make the 53.  We have a lot of intriguing young players on this team right now.  There is plenty to be excited about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

too many injuries to have 53 players available for practice....the PS makes perfect sense to have a player learn the system and be a potential fill in if injury occurs

Other then the games all the players are available for practice I thought. Just like highschool the backups don't participate but they could. There wouldnt be practice guys, just inactive guys. That would eliminate the poaching amongst other things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Other then the games all the players are available for practice I thought. Just like highschool the backups don't participate but they could. There wouldnt be practice guys, just inactive guys. That would eliminate the poaching amongst other things.

[/QUOTE]

there are 53 players on the team, and 45 are eligible each game. The 8 PS players are not part of the 53 players.

45 game day actives

53 players on the roster

61 players including PS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

there are 53 players on the team, and 45 are eligible each game. The 8 PS players are not part of the 53 players.

45 game day actives

53 players on the roster

61 players including PS

[/QUOTE]

My bad they still shouldn't have ps guys. They are sacrificial. They should be a part of the team. So your saying that ps players can't practice when? Only Sunday after the active roster is handed in. They don't travel with the team but if its a home game are they banned from the facilities? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

45 game day actives

53 players on the roster

61 players including PS

[/QUOTE]

My bad they still shouldn't have ps guys. They are sacrificial. They should be a part of the team. So your saying that ps players can't practice when? Only Sunday after the active roster is handed in. They don't travel with the team but if its a home game are they banned from the facilities? 

[/QUOTE]

The PS was designed to prevent teams from hiding players away and storing them for later. It's meant to give teams incentive to sign other players away during the year as well as waivers during final cut down as well as giving those players on the lowest tier a chance to switch teams mid season at a chance at an active roster spot on another team impacted by injures. Just think how many players have been snagged away from us and we have grabbed from other teams. It also allows teams who have been greatly impacted by injures a chance to sign PS players from other teams to their squad directly (BB has done this once I believe and he's also paid extra to keep players from other teams during the season, ie Carter). The main point to the PS though, is mainly NFLPA based. The low tier players aren't stuck on a team which they have no shot of moving up but have a chance to move from team to team (depending on demand) which increases their chances at making an active roster.