Patriots-Falcons Matchup?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Patriots-Falcons Matchup?

http://cinesport.boston.com/boston-globe-sports/edge-beat-both-sides-of-pats-falcons/

strengths/weaknesses?

video rx more blitzing.

dealing with the noise:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/09/pats_plan_run_silent_run_deep

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Patriots-Falcons Matchup?

Julio Jones for Talib and Roddy White for Dennard, we should be alright if we see this coverage most of the game.

He can tackle, pass, head,
    Michael Carrick is a Red.
    Gerrard, Lampard, Fabregas,
    Your not fit to wipe his @r$3!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

My biggest concern is how the Pat's are going to defend Gonzales. I know gregory has been playing well this year but i don't like the match-up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I think that there are two other big problems:

1. Atlanta has a balanced attack and can hurt you on the ground or in the air. So BB usually takes away the top 1 or 2 things, let's say it is Gonzales and Julio. The running game can kill you. If it is the run and Julio, Gonzales can hurt you. So the balance and number of weapons is an issue

2. We are playing in Atlanta in a dome on a fast field without weather influences. This benefits the Falcons

I think this is a good test for this team and can tell us a lot about the team. I am looking forward to watching the game. It should be interesting.

The key is the first quarter and how close we are after the first quarter. If we are close entering the 2nd quarter I think our chances of winning go way up. If we are down 3 scores it will be harder to come back. Falcons do not finish well.

After 4 preseason and 3 warmup games, the season starts now and we need to see what our team can do. I hope Gronk can go and be effective. If so, it really improves our chances.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:

1. Atlanta has a balanced attack and can hurt you on the ground or in the air. So BB usually takes away the top 1 or 2 things, let's say it is Gonzales and Julio. The running game can kill you. If it is the run and Julio, Gonzales can hurt you. So the balance and number of weapons is an issue

2. We are playing in Atlanta in a dome on a fast field without weather influences. This benefits the Falcons

I think this is a good test for this team and can tell us a lot about the team. I am looking forward to watching the game. It should be interesting.

The key is the first quarter and how close we are after the first quarter. If we are close entering the 2nd quarter I think our chances of winning go way up. If we are down 3 scores it will be harder to come back. Falcons do not finish well.

After 4 preseason and 3 warmup games, the season starts now and we need to see what our team can do. I hope Gronk can go and be effective. If so, it really improves our chances.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

My Response;

1) Steven Jackson is out. The rest of the run game is average. Take away the pass game and dare them to run.

2) without a doubt you are correct here. However, BB's emaphsis on speed the last couple years should negate alot of this advantage for Atlanta.

3) **response to Ghost's question right above yours about Gonzales; I hope we finally see some of Jamie Collins and what he can do.

I agree the first quarter will be huge for us. I think we will play well and do OK but I also see Atlanta winning because they are 1-2 and will be a desperate team. I feel like our team is currently to young to respond to that desperation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

My Response;

1) Steven Jackson is out. The rest of the run game is average. Take away the pass game and dare them to run.

2) without a doubt you are correct here. However, BB's emaphsis on speed the last couple years should negate alot of this advantage for Atlanta.

3) **response to Ghost's question right above yours about Gonzales; I hope we finally see some of Jamie Collins and what he can do.

I agree the first quarter will be huge for us. I think we will play well and do OK but I also see Atlanta winning because they are 1-2 and will be a desperate team. I feel like our team is currently to young to respond to that desperation.

I'm with you.  While I certainly believe that it's a game that they could win, I'm kind of anxious about it.  My thought is, if Gronkowski plays, he could have a real calming influence on these young receivers of ours.  He always looks so loose out there and seems as though he is just having fun.  I think that could rub off on these kids and allow them to relax a bit, in an otherwise very stressful situation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Just saw a stat that said Tannenhill completed 70% of his 3rd down passes vs Atlanta?!  Wow

Ok, so either Tanny is REALLY good! The Falcons secondary is not THAT good or Brady is gonna have a Break out game.

I think the only test is gonna be our Defense vs their passing game. Their run consists of Jason Snelling, a FB and Rogers, a Scat back.

I look forward to the Cincy game for the real test. Are we at home next week?

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

My biggest concern is how the Pat's are going to defend Gonzales. I know gregory has been playing well this year but i don't like the match-up.

Gregory HAS been playing well. Doing  a great job of hovering around the line and helping in the run game and just cleaning up overall. He is still a nightmare in man coverage. I expect them to adjust somehow. McCourty is too small. Either we see T.Wilson get some snaps(not likely) or they will try to cover him with a Backer. Hightower is actually our best coverage backer which is crazy cuz he is the heaviest at 265 but we may also see Collins get in the game but not to cover man to man. I think Gonzo would lose him. I think he is gonna be used to cover an "area" like maybe underneath Gonzo while a safety covers him at top but I really just think Hightower/fletcher, someone will have to just cover him.

We cant dedicate any of our safeties to help with deep threats on both sides in White and Jones. Gonna be tough to matchup for sure. Pressure is the Key IMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Tom Brady is 36-9 career vs NFC teams.  I am going against my preseason prediction and say TFB and the Patriots find a way to win this one Sunday night.

In the dome it will be fun to see what the running game can do on the fast field and I say turn those young guns loose. Run them all day long, take turns letting Thompkins and Dobson go deep. 

Not sure we see Gronk back Sunday or not.

I am a little lot worried about our DB's vs the Falcons WR.  This will be a great test to see where they stand.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Isn't Tony old enough to be Gregory's Dad? :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I penciled this in as a loss for the Pats but wouldn't be surprised if they win.  The Falcons have some holes on the offensive line and the defense that the Pats could take advantage of.  But at 1-2 and playing at home, they'll be desperate.  It all depends on how the rookies and young guys respond in a prime time game for the Pats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Gregory HAS been playing well. Doing  a great job of hovering around the line and helping in the run game and just cleaning up overall. He is still a nightmare in man coverage. I expect them to adjust somehow. McCourty is too small. Either we see T.Wilson get some snaps(not likely) or they will try to cover him with a Backer. Hightower is actually our best coverage backer which is crazy cuz he is the heaviest at 265 but we may also see Collins get in the game but not to cover man to man. I think Gonzo would lose him. I think he is gonna be used to cover an "area" like maybe underneath Gonzo while a safety covers him at top but I really just think Hightower/fletcher, someone will have to just cover him.

We cant dedicate any of our safeties to help with deep threats on both sides in White and Jones. Gonna be tough to matchup for sure. Pressure is the Key IMO

IMO, whoever gets the assignment to cover TG, should be single-mindedly focused on covering TG. Except when TG is not on the field. Giving that person additional run D responsibilities with TG on the field will be too much to handle and jsut confuse.

If you cannot cover all receivers, the best approach is to nip the throw in the bud - disrupt the passer. This game is not a test for whomever is covering. It is a test for the front four+.

Jackson, if out, gives them relief.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

IMO, whoever gets the assignment to cover TG, should be single-mindedly focused on covering TG. Except when TG is not on the field. Giving that person additional run D responsibilities with TG on the field will be too much to handle and jsut confuse.

If you cannot cover all receivers, the best approach is to nip the throw in the bud - disrupt the passer. This game is not a test for whomever is covering. It is a test for the front four+.

Jackson, if out, gives them relief.

Agreed. Id like to see CJ continue his strong start and get some contributions from Buchanan. They like to pass on 1st down and I bet they try to exploit us on early downs when Vince and Kelly are in. If they dont feature the run, we may be able to put CJ at takle more and not get pushed around. We need Dbs back, but I would be sending atleast ONE extra rusher on every play and change where it comes from. have the Dbs in the back mix in the cover 2,3 and 4 to keep Matty from being as sharp. ONe extra second trying to read which coverage we are in may be enough to get to him. He is not very mobile so I expect by 2nd quarter for our DE's to know their contact spots and knock him off HIS spots. Should be a great chess match.

All in all, I would lean on coaching. Never been sold on their coach. They just have talent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Not without SJax.  Rogers and Snelling are nothing special.  Put Talib on Jones, Dennard on White and have McCourty blanket over the top.  As others have mentioned, I'm most nervous about big Tony G.  He will be a matchup nightmare in the red zone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Not without SJax.  Rogers and Snelling are nothing special.  Put Talib on Jones, Dennard on White and have McCourty blanket over the top.  As others have mentioned, I'm most nervous about big Tony G.  He will be a matchup nightmare in the red zone.

esp. since he is the best at pushing off as well and its very rarely called. I recall one game vs the Falcons a while back or maybe it was the Cheifs. Tony G went to run a route in the endzone vs us and I swear we had 4 guys on him. If anyone knows , its BB. He will have some sort of bracket for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In earlier games we clearly tried to contain the mobile QBs in the pocket.  I think the key to beating Atlanta will be to unleash a relentless and aggressive pass rush to reduce time and accuracy of Ryan targeting his WRs.  The Atl O line has not been impressive, so this could be a big game for the D line, especially Chandler and Nink.

So although we can stop Atlanta on D, we really need more offensive weapons on the field.  If Gronk suits up and plays near 100%, we win.  Without Gronk, Danny or Vereen, i see us losing a close defensive battle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Just saw a stat that said Tannenhill completed 70% of his 3rd down passes vs Atlanta?!  Wow

Ok, so either Tanny is REALLY good! The Falcons secondary is not THAT good or Brady is gonna have a Break out game.

I think the only test is gonna be our Defense vs their passing game. Their run consists of Jason Snelling, a FB and Rogers, a Scat back.

I look forward to the Cincy game for the real test. Are we at home next week?

Nah, their D is bannged up. Weaherspoon and Biermann went down in that game, which makes Miami seem better than they are on offense.

ATL also ran all over Miami's D, so I am not sure if that is ATL being good running the ball or if Miami's Run D is poor.

Tannehil completed the same against Indy completing 9 in a row against them in the 4th quarter. Miami's defense was also missing 5 starters in the second half. I would be wary of Atlanta in the Dome though ..this is a must win game for them

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

More info regarding the matchup

Going in , the Falcons are rated 26th via the pass and 6th vs the run. I dont think this is a game for Ridley. They are probably working real hard on the passing game cuz its been a big weakness so far.

Conversly, the pats are rated 6th against the pass! and 23rd vs the run

My how times have changed...lol. It must be early. This is gonna be Toms 1st 300 yard game of the year unless he did it already. Gronk or no Gronk,. Mark it down. If we lose, it will be because we cant stop their 7th rated pass offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Dunno if this is a reliable stat since I stumbled upon it in a Fantasy Football article, but it claims that the Falcons have given up more yards and receptions to slot receivers than any other team in the NFL.  If true that's a nice matchup given the system here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Dunno if this is a reliable stat since I stumbled upon it in a Fantasy Football article, but it claims that the Falcons have given up more yards and receptions to slot receivers than any other team in the NFL.  If true that's a nice matchup given the system here.

True! Lets hope we can get some production from Eds without him doing too much. Although he is capable, I dont like to see him catch more than 6 or 7 passes a game due to his frailty. I think you can feast on the secondary as a whole anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Having Gronk back would be a huge boost not just because he is a great player, but because he could abuse their depleted LB corps.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Having Gronk back would be a huge boost not just because he is a great player, but because he could abuse their depleted LB corps.

That would be nice to be able to ease him back against iffy competition. I havent heard much of Osi down there but Im sure his blocking would help in passng game too, but not sure if that would do more to his arm than going out for passes. I would like to see him get his feet wet but its hard to put him in and them take him out if he looks good. I honestly dont think we will see him. I aslo think since Suds has yet to even make a catch, another game for him to get involved would be good. I dont see him playing much if/when Gronk comes back healthy if he doesnt develop ANY rapport at all. Brady was way off target with him likely due to their LACK of connection in a game yet.

Remember he has to try and gauge the speed of each player and base the trajectory and velocity of his throws based on each guys accelaration. I know I wouldnt want the job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Not their best work, but I chuckled a bit at this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the Phins beat the Falcons last week. Pats have to also beat them to "keep pace".

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I havent heard much of Osi down there but Im sure his blocking would help in passng game too

It would be nice given that Vollmer's status is still in doubt for the game.  Don't get me wrong I like Cannon, but SeaBass is a monster and Osi is still a legit threat.  He has 2 sacks, 2 FF, 2 PD and a pick 6 on the season so far.  One advantage we will have is that the rest of their line are pretty much JAGs from a pass rush standpoint.